• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hatred of Obama

A McCain administration's policies wouldn't have been much different from the Obama administration's, especially after watering down by Republican obstructionism.

McCain would now likely be hailed as having pulled the US from the brink of another Great Depression. I'm hard put to think that the abiding Obama hatred is anything but racism.

I agree with you that McCain would have been very similar to Obama. I also agree that Republicans would be cheering him. But I hasten to add that Democrats would be vilifying him, just not to the same extent that the Republicans vilify Obama.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps this question should have been asked at a forum with more balanced political representation. I'm becoming convinced that some people on this forum have never even met a Republican.
As usual, you are wrong.

So you are the entire forum and everyone else is your sock puppet?

You didn't get the memo?

How about the guy in West Virginia, who when polled about who he planned to support in the 2008 election, responded with "I'm voting for the n***er".
What about him?

Are we sure he actually DID vote for Obama, and wasn't mocking him, taking his chance to use the n-bomb on television? Or maybe mocking the pollster. People will say all kinds of shit if they think it's funny and it'll get lots of play...

But even if he was sincere, if this was a white guy that felt comfortable referring to a black man by the n-bomb, I'd say it doesn't matter who he voted for, that's plenty racist.

But I hasten to add that Democrats would be vilifying him, just not to the same extent that the Republicans vilify Obama.
Really? You think a Democrat congressman would have shouted "Liar!" during McCain's address?
That Democrats would have demanded an accounting from McCain about why he wasn't in the Oval Office during 9/11?

I doubt they'd have come anywhere NEAR what Obama went through.

How about the guy in West Virginia, who when polled about who he planned to support in the 2008 election, responded with "I'm voting for the n***er".*

Yeah, no racism to see here. All is well. Move along.

* Actually it was Pennsylvania.

To support this one can easily point to the current GOP and how they overwhelmingly support the single worst president to ever serve

I didn't know they supported Woodrow Wilson.

Part of the problem is people have no sense of History.

Now I know Democrats who have voted Democratic for decades and would never vote Republican. And I know Republicans who have voted Republican for decades and would never vote Democrat. Suddenly, in 2008, those Republicans who vote Republican because they are Republicans were told that they aren't voting Democrat because they are racists. Odd, that.

Wilson at least had some redeeming features. He was for immigrants rights, ironically, and vetoes anti-immigration legislation. He tried to override prohibition as well. Trump has gotten nothing. But we still have time. I'm not holding my breath though. Of course, it seems obvious that when I make such a statement it's my opinion, and has little bearing on anything. I stand by the rest of my statement, however.

To support this one can easily point to the current GOP and how they overwhelmingly support the single worst president to ever serve

I didn't know they supported Woodrow Wilson.

Part of the problem is people have no sense of History.

Now I know Democrats who have voted Democratic for decades and would never vote Republican. And I know Republicans who have voted Republican for decades and would never vote Democrat. Suddenly, in 2008, those Republicans who vote Republican because they are Republicans were told that they aren't voting Democrat because they are racists. Odd, that.

Wilson at least had some redeeming features. He was for immigrants rights, ironically, and vetoes anti-immigration legislation. He tried to override prohibition as well. Trump has gotten nothing. But we still have time. I'm not holding my breath though. Of course, it seems obvious that when I make such a statement it's my opinion, and has little bearing on anything. I stand by the rest of my statement, however.

You should stand by it. Right wing authoritarian followers seek out bullies to support. Conservatism is based in fear, after all.

I'm not a US citizen, and never really delved into US politics too deeply. I assumed Obama was a decent guy, helped the US get on a good path out of recession, did some of the nasty work of getting out of Iraq, maybe the odd misstep here, I dunno...

But I didn't know that there was a certain demographic of people in the US that really, really hate him.

Is this just the usual Republicans trash Democrats, and Democrats trash Republicans? I remember people saying Bush wasn't very bright, but not the outragoeus conspiracy stuff about Obama. I did a bit of research that didn't yield much, other than maybe racism.

Is that it? Is it purely race? Is it only a small, but very crazy and vocal,
cross-section of alt-right "thinkers" (Including the president)?

Maybe it's just twitter. I'm astounded at the crazy stuff I see on there. Check out the replies to a John Podesta Tweet. Unfreakin'believable some people.

It's just partisanship. The far right really hated Bubba and hatched a conspiracy theory that he plotted to kill Vince Foster. The far left really hated W. (Due remember that W, McCain, and Romney were Hitlers before the literally Hitler was elected in 2016.) Then the far right hated Obama. Then the Hildabeast. Now the far left really hates Trump. It's horseshoe theory. It's humorous when partisan hacks deny that they're just as bad as their doppelgangers.

Trump humpers have been trying to insist that the resistance Trump gets is just partisanship. It most definitely is not just mere partisanship. They wish to frame it as such in order to distract from the fact that this administration is overtly bigoted, very authoritarian, corrupt to the core, and so on. They wish to make the case that Trump is business as usual. It is not.

The Republicans have been demonizing all Democrats with a shot at the presidency.

The Republicans have been demonizing all Democrats with a shot at the presidency.

Yeah, and Democrats have been demonizing Republicans... think is, Republican's have been much more far-sighted and effective in their demonization efforts*. That's largely the Dems' fault - the Rep's could see Hillary coming from miles away, and so had decades of practice demonizing her, but they nominated her anyway. Dems never took Cheato seriously until the day after the election.

I hope there is a crowded field of Dem Presidential candidates in 2020, so at least the Russo-Republican demonization machine will have to spread its efforts out somewhat.

* Pizzagate - - a great example of demonization. Only credible to card-carrying trumpsuckers, but they genuinely believed it, to the point where one of them shot up the restaurant.... Maybe this time around there will be "Trump sells kidnapped babies to sex trafficking ring and meat processors" stories?

Americans always amuse me when they talk about 'The Left', as if they had one.

It's a two party system, with the choice being between the right wing 'Democrats' and the far right wing 'Republicans'.

Yes. In relation to Canada, our conservative party is pretty much inline with the Democratic Party in the US. It hasn't escaped me that the US is a pretty far-right leaning country.

Republicans would demonize any Democrat that gets into office. That Obama was black meant that they could probably get more people riled up, the racists that normally wouldn't pay that much attention to politics. It also made it possible to use racist dog whistles directly against him, giving them more avenues of attack, rather than just claiming any Democratic candidate was the most extreme leftist ever elected. So I guess two groups: 1 - racists upset that Obama was president, 2 - non-racists who just used racism to rile people against him.

One difference between the parties is that Democrats tend to trash Republicans for their actual policies, while Republicans use made up conspiracy theories. In the Clinton years there was one phony controversy after another: travel-gate, file-gate, christmas cards, Vince Foster, Whitewater, Lincoln bedroom, etc.. Bush was criticized for things he actually did and said, but that was passed off as 'Bush Derangement Syndrome'. Then with Obama you get birtherism, apology tour, tan suit, musicians in the white house, coffee cup salute, feet on the desk.

While the alt-right does certainly hate his liberal politics of tolerance and equality (two things they revile), a huge part of the reason they hate those politics is because they are bigots. It is the most core defining trait of the alt-right, which has become the driving force in the GOP.

The number of white supremacy groups in the US spiked sharply just after Obama's election. The whole "He is Muslim" thing was nothing other than a grotesque marriage of hatred of Muslims and hatred of blacks. It was based on the ideology that "since all Muslims are evil, and since blacks are prone to evil, Obama is secretly Muslim."

Keep in mind that the alt-right was created by people who explicitly cite white supremacist pseudo-intellectuals as their inspiration with Breitbart itself repeatedly recommending writings by these people.

Talk to most rural or red-state whites privately and comfortable expressing their honest views on race, and you will hear frightening levels of racism (and sexism, and homophobia).

Trump humpers have been trying to insist that the resistance Trump gets is just partisanship. It most definitely is not just mere partisanship. They wish to frame it as such in order to distract from the fact that this administration is overtly bigoted, very authoritarian, corrupt to the core, and so on. They wish to make the case that Trump is business as usual. It is not.

It becomes a case of boy who cried wolf. Your country is so polarized that anything and everything gets labelled partisanship now, and when something real happens, people don't see beyond the partisanship.

* Pizzagate - - a great example of demonization. Only credible to card-carrying trumpsuckers, but they genuinely believed it, to the point where one of them shot up the restaurant.... Maybe this time around there will be "Trump sells kidnapped babies to sex trafficking ring and meat processors" stories?

I suspect this touches on the reality - The Republican's "no prisoners" approach to politics is pretty impressive. It's pretty hard to stop a machine like the one they have built. They know their demographic, they nurture their message within those groups - religious, the gun people, the unemployed, white - these are groups who want to hear bad things about the "Others". The thinktanks know their history and know very well that creating an Other in society is effective.

The difference in messaging is enormous. Right at this moment for example, I'm looking at a Trump tweet from today that says:

"Democrats want open Borders, where anyone can come into our Country, and stay. This is Nancy Pelosi's dream. It won't happen!"
(Capitals and extra comma are his)

I'm sure their are decent Republicans out there who stand for fiscal responsibility, capitalistic growth, patriotism, but....

Democrats in the US as a rule don't seem to respond to this type of messaging (blatant lying pretty much non-stop), which is to the advantage of the Republicans.

I'm guessing the anti Obama. messaging is particularly strong because Trump was always going to compared to Obama, and that wouldn't serve Republicans well I assume. He's often referred to Hussein by these groups to create a more entrenched sense of "Other".

But a Satanic Pedophile Foreigner out to destroy the free world? (Satanic, Pedophile, and Foreigner are all equally despicable to the base)

How did the loathing get so deep?

Someone else here said he's Democrat AND black. Double the hatred. That's amazing. but probably the ugly truth.

While the alt-right does certainly hate his liberal politics of tolerance and equality (two things they revile), a huge part of the reason they hate those politics is because they are bigots. It is the most core defining trait of the alt-right, which has become the driving force in the GOP.

The number of white supremacy groups in the US spiked sharply just after Obama's election. The whole "He is Muslim" thing was nothing other than a grotesque marriage of hatred of Muslims and hatred of blacks. It was based on the ideology that "since all Muslims are evil, and since blacks are prone to evil, Obama is secretly Muslim."

Keep in mind that the alt-right was created by people who explicitly cite white supremacist pseudo-intellectuals as their inspiration with Breitbart itself repeatedly recommending writings by these people.

Talk to most rural or red-state whites privately and comfortable expressing their honest views on race, and you will hear frightening levels of racism (and sexism, and homophobia).

I suspect this is the case. It's wild this thought process is so wide-spread in the US. I see it in Canada too.

Back
Top Bottom