• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hawkey's Dead.

spikepipsqueak

My Brane Hertz
Basic Beliefs
Nil
At 89, I can't pretend to surprise but loss, sadness, yes.

He got things done. I never had a sense that he wanted power for its own sake. He loved power, and used it to make things work better for people.

I wish he could have lasted a couple more days, he would have enjoyed this election.

He was our 23rd PM. A man of fire and principle. How often can you say that about a politician?

There are not a lot like him.

Bob Hawke was Australia's most popular ever prime minister and one of the greatest. Unlike most Liberal Party prime ministers he had vision.
As most people in Australia are aware Labor are favourites to win this Saturday's federal election, but Bob is so loyal to Labor that he chose to die to ensure this victory (kidding).
But seriously, his death will help remind people of what a non-Coalition government can achieve, and may sway some people to the light side. ;-)

Yesterday RN played a Richard Fidler Conversation with Hawkey, from around 2016.

It is easy to forget what a good person he was, and what a funny bastard.

His take on the world, and on politics, was so different from that of our current leaders who are only interested in PR, not in the health and vitality of Aus.

I was driving but it was hard to keep the tears out of our eyes.

I wish the united states had a politician like him. One you actually could love and knew he had his country' s best interest at heart.

Back
Top Bottom