• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hezbollah’s Exploding Electronics

Off topic and completely rhetorical and not directed at your remark personally but why is it always mommy who supposedly needs fixing??
Because I'm a sad little gay boy with a crazy mommy, duh. You want someone with daddy issues, hit up the lesbian breakfast bistro over by the Lowe's.

If they targeted against members of a terrorist group, no noncombatants are injured. Neither land mines nor explosive communication devices discriminate among combatants and noncombatants. That is how they two are alike.
You continue to fail to understand that war isn't executed with perfection.
How is that straw man relevant to my comparison?
You continue to demand an unattainable ideal and effectively say they should accept death if they can't do a sufficient perfect job of defending themselves.
I ask again, how does that straw man relate to the comparison of land mines to exploding communication devices?

Another photo from the 10/8 protest:
5139dff3-9595-4ad8-8731-6f4cbf676735.jpeg
If you skew the meaning of "justice" and "human rights" to fit some eccentric definition no one else uses, then the only calls for justice and upholding human rights you will acknowledge are your own. And if you say that apartheid is justice and ethnic cleansing is upholding human rights, then you can claim that Netanyahu, Smotrich, Ben Gvir, and their allies are standing on the moral high ground while Jews for Peace and Médecins Sans Frontières are stanning for genocide.

Of course, that only works in Alice's Wonderland, not irl where words have meanings everyone shares.
Of the signs in that picture I can read there is only one that is not effectively endorsing the 10/7 atrocity.

Do you endorse atrocity? If not, why do you think those protesters are on the side of justice and human rights?
Oh I see.

In your mind, when someone says "Resistance against occupation is a human right" they're "effectively endorsing" an atrocity.

This from a guy who less than one hour ago said Israel successfully threw off its oppressors and attacks get worse when victims leave their abusers.
The "resistance" of which it speaks is the 10/7 atrocity.
You know that for certain because any reference to 10/7 is missing?

I heard that they bought the pagers from Boeing. ;)

That said, the death toll and the number injured seems awfully maldistributed. Is Hezbollah not indicating deaths among their ranks and only civilian related collateral damage? Because otherwise, 12 or so including civilians killed seems awfully low. Especially for the alleged number hurt. Yes, I get they exaggerate these numbers, but the death toll isn't is the same ballpark (or even sport) as the number hurt.
Because the charges were in the ballpark of 10 grams. Moderate firecracker range, although with a higher detonation velocity.

The other question is who fed them the line about the cell phones being a problem. I'm wondering if Israel successfully trolled Hezbollah into swapping phones for pagers... and then did this, or whether they got word of the shift in plans by Hezbollah and a light bulb went off.
And why do you think they didn't have reason to think phones were a problem?
I'm sure there was logic behind it, but I see this as a potential troll by the Israelis. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing. Do you need to be defensive about every observation made regarding Israel?
That is, until Israel figures out that you're buying a bunch of pagers and provides ones that go boom.
This is one of the reasons I think Israel planted the info out there. It isn't as if Israel could get into the supply chain that quickly.
The great thing here is that Hezbollah has to quadruple think buying any electronic communication device now. It sounds like Israel achieved more in this maneuver than they have in 11 months in Gaza against Hamas. And with a substantially muted amount of collateral damage.

I hope that this isn't something Iran can easily try themselves, regarding miniaturized explosives, not pagers. No one uses those.
Nothing special about the charges.

What this did is make it far harder for Hezbollah to communicate. And they got together to talk in private--but Israel figured out where. The Hezbollah command structure just got seriously messed up.
Yes, it created a blackout, which was the setup for the next phase.

If they targeted against members of a terrorist group, no noncombatants are injured. Neither land mines nor explosive communication devices discriminate among combatants and noncombatants. That is how they two are alike.
You continue to fail to understand that war isn't executed with perfection.
How is that straw man relevant to my comparison?
You continue to demand an unattainable ideal and effectively say they should accept death if they can't do a sufficient perfect job of defending themselves.
The oddity in your statement is you are claiming almost the exact same thing of the Palestinians and Lebanese.

The oddity in your statement is you are claiming almost the exact same thing of the Palestinians and Lebanese.
I think that's "THEY STARTED IT!" comes in.
No, they didn't 'start it'.
It started with decades of repression of a helpless population.

But as long as "everyone does it" remains your attitude towards war, everyone will keep doing it.
That is not my attitude toward war, as I have just recently stated. War is the worst consequence of the failure of diplomacy, and it is a tragedy whenever it occurs.
Leftist error. You are assuming that diplomacy can prevent all wars. Does it not occur to you that there are those evil enough that they knowingly choose the path of horror?
In children's books, sure. When I was nine or ten, I graduated to reading novels where people had a bit more nuance than simplistic stereotypes of good and evil. More complicated, I found, but more interesting, and certainly more like real life.

I don't know what you mean by "diplomacy can prevent all wars". Obviously, it has failed to do so repeatedly. I am well aware of this. Similarly, I do not believe that medicine can prevent all illness, that environmental regulations can prevent all extinctions, that counseling can fix every marriage, or that loving mommy enough will fix her brain. I do, however, think that illnesses (of whatever kind) should be ameliorated to whatever extent possible, not intentionally fostered and certainly not celebrated.
To say that something failed means that success was a possibility. Rather, consider the case of the black tag girl. Yes, it very well might be an urban legend but if it happened it would have played out as described. The rescuers saw that she had injuries incompatible with continued life, black tagged her and went on to look for people they could save. That was not a failure, that was a recognition that it was impossible.

If Israel was trying to get the international community to exterminate it's rivals you would expect to see at least some such extermination. Yet we have absolutely nothing. We have responded to attacks directed at us. We have shot down weapons heading for Israel, but we did nothing about the launchers.
You're getting as bad as barbos! Refusing to acknowledge the daily news doesn't somehow stop it from happening. The whole world is watching Israel rain bloody hell both on its neighbors and those it claims as its own citizens. (Subjects? Property? Whatever it considers Gazans to be.)
You aren't replying to what I said at all.

I actually understand why Hamas attacked the kids at the Israeli peace concert. I don’t agree with it. It’s been terrible for Palestinians. However I understand. The Israeli settlers are mostly assholes. And the crimes that they commit against Palestinians are often not prosecuted. I get it. But this thread is about hezbollah. The hezbos started attacking Israel the day after the Hamas attack. And they’ve been attacking every single day since. Israel didn’t oppress the Lebanese people. Hobos started this. If they want it to stop, stop lobbing missiles into Israel.

I actually understand why Hamas attacked the kids at the Israeli peace concert. I don’t agree with it. It’s been terrible for Palestinians. However I understand. The Israeli settlers are mostly assholes. And the crimes that they commit against Palestinians are often not prosecuted. I get it. But this thread is about hezbollah. The hezbos started attacking Israel the day after the Hamas attack. And they’ve been attacking every single day since. Israel didn’t oppress the Lebanese people. Hobos started this. If they want it to stop, stop lobbing missiles into Israel.
Very true. I expect the same disproportionate response that Bibi has leveled at Gazans. The Hamas atrocity gave the Hezzies an excuse to upgrade their harassment, and at the end of the day Bibi needs his immediate enemy in order to stay in power. Hezbollah is a good one because Iran will keep them a viable enemy for a long time to come.
A lot of people are going to die to keep that fucker out of prison. Probably not unlike Americans dying for Trump’s freedom.

Very true. I expect the same disproportionate response that Bibi has leveled at Gazans.
How is it disproportionate? Israel has been targeting Hezbollah fighters, commanders as well as rocket launchers and storehouses. All perfectly proportionate responses to incessant rocket attacks.
The Hamas atrocity gave the Hezzies an excuse to upgrade their harassment, and at the end of the day Bibi needs his immediate enemy in order to stay in power.
But had Hezbos not started lobbing missiles into Israel since last October, there would be no reason for Israel to go in.
KgwTL04.gif

Hezbollah is a good one because Iran will keep them a viable enemy for a long time to come.
Which is why Iran should have been handled much earlier, during the Obama administration at the latest.
A lot of people are going to die to keep that fucker out of prison. Probably not unlike Americans dying for Trump’s freedom.
It's not Bibi's fault that his country got attacked.
And don't think I have not noticed the non sequitur mention of Trump in yet another unrelated thread.

I actually understand why Hamas attacked the kids at the Israeli peace concert. I don’t agree with it. It’s been terrible for Palestinians. However I understand. The Israeli settlers are mostly assholes.
No, there hasn't been anything "understandable" about this atrocity whatsoever. And the "settlers" excuse won't hunt. There have not been any Israeli settlers in Gaza since 2005. Besides, Hamas considers all Israelis as "settlers" because they want to destroy Israel and take over its land.
And the crimes that they commit against Palestinians are often not prosecuted.
But they are also often prosecuted. Certainly far more often that Palestinians who attack Jews are prosecuted by the PA. Instead, PA pays them "pay to slay" stipends and particularly notorious ones get put on street signs and buildings.
Palestinian town refuses to change name of women’s center named for terrorist
I get it. But this thread is about hezbollah. The hezbos started attacking Israel the day after the Hamas attack. And they’ve been attacking every single day since. Israel didn’t oppress the Lebanese people. Hobos started this. If they want it to stop, stop lobbing missiles into Israel.
I agree with you there. There was no excuse for Hezbos attacking Israel.

I actually understand why Hamas attacked the kids at the Israeli peace concert. I don’t agree with it. It’s been terrible for Palestinians. However I understand. The Israeli settlers are mostly assholes.
No, there hasn't been anything "understandable" about this atrocity whatsoever. And the "settlers" excuse won't hunt. There have not been any Israeli settlers in Gaza since 2005. Besides, Hamas considers all Israelis as "settlers" because they want to destroy Israel and take over its land.
And the crimes that they commit against Palestinians are often not prosecuted.
But they are also often prosecuted. Certainly far more often that Palestinians who attack Jews are prosecuted by the PA. Instead, PA pays them "pay to slay" stipends and particularly notorious ones get put on street signs and buildings.
Palestinian town refuses to change name of women’s center named for terrorist
I get it. But this thread is about hezbollah. The hezbos started attacking Israel the day after the Hamas attack. And they’ve been attacking every single day since. Israel didn’t oppress the Lebanese people. Hobos started this. If they want it to stop, stop lobbing missiles into Israel.
I agree with you there. There was no excuse for Hezbos attacking Israel.
You’re putting words in my mouth. I did not say that I excuse hamas. They are are bandit thugs. But I understand their motivation. They want to kill Israelis and steal their land. But this thread is about Israel’s attack on hezbollah. Not Hamas. Hezbos attacked Israel on October 8 for no reason but to cause chaos. If they don’t want Israeli attacks on them: stop firing missiles into Israel! Pretty damn simple.

It was an anti-Israel protest a day after 10/7. 10/7 did not have to be mentioned explicitly.

In the anti-Israel circles Hamas and other terror groups are commonly referred to as "Resistance" and "Palestinian Resistance".

When these creeps talk about "Resistance is justified" a day after the "Islamic Resistance Movement" slaughtered over 1000 Jews and kidnapped hundreds more, what the hell do you think they mean?

It was an anti-Israel protest a day after 10/7. 10/7 did not have to be mentioned explicitly.
Yes it does. The day after 10/7, Israel was bombing Gaza. Hence there are multiple possibly valid interpretations as to what is being reference. It is entirely possible that different flag wavers were referencing different things. I don't dismiss that there were supporters of Hamas and terroristm but I don't dismiss that there were protesters who are supporting the Gazan civilians and their struggle to remain alive and uninjured. Just like I don't dismiss that there those who support Israel who root for genocide and I don't dismiss that there supporters of Israel who don't root for genocide.

Which is why Iran should have been handled much earlier, during the Obama administration at the latest.
Why is the Iran/Israel conflict any of our business? If Israel wants to take out the Iranian government, I say go for it. But to me, there are no goods guys anywhere in this situation.

BTW, if you think Israel needs help, you're welcome to gothere and fight for them.

Why is the Iran/Israel conflict any of our business? If Israel wants to take out the Iranian government, I say go for it. But to me, there are no goods guys anywhere in this situation.

BTW, if you think Israel needs help, you're welcome to gothere and fight for them.

Well, it a major war in the ME would greatly harm the world's economy.

I think that Dimon is a pompous ass. But he makes a good point here: all this war is not good for the world's economy. We don't need another war in the ME.

Last edited:
Don't worry, if there's massive inflation and non-existent supply chains, everyone can just blame it on Kamala Harris and her magical economy powers.

Back
Top Bottom