• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Doesn't Russia have anything good to offer their neighbors other than self invitations?
I wrote you earlier. Russia offered refuge ~200K Ukrainians. Do you even read before you post?
I wasn't asking for what they had to offer a Country after they invaded. I'm asking what do they have to offer their neighbors to keep them as allies and away from NATO without invading them.
What does NATO offer, nazi scam running around Ukraine and killing people?
It offers something that most people in this world desire: the ability to freely choose their own leaders without threat of invasion.
They already had that.
???????!! Do you honestly believe that the Russian troops in Ukraine are on a training mission?

They already had that.
... so it's okay if Pootey takes it away now.
It's rather tiresome to see pages and pages of your vacuous non-responses to serious concerns regarding Pootey's intent to destroy civilization as we know it because the world rejects his troglodytic views. You can blithely dismiss all human suffering caused by the current brutal totalitarian Russian regime in the name of "getting even" for imagined slights of the past, but the world IS against you. Pootey knows that, and therefore he will try to destroy it.

Doesn't Russia have anything good to offer their neighbors other than self invitations?
I wrote you earlier. Russia offered refuge ~200K Ukrainians. Do you even read before you post?
I wasn't asking for what they had to offer a Country after they invaded. I'm asking what do they have to offer their neighbors to keep them as allies and away from NATO without invading them.
It offers something that most people in this world desire: the ability to freely choose their own leaders without threat of invasion.
They already had that.
???????!! Do you honestly believe that the Russian troops in Ukraine are on a training mission?
Ukraine had democracy before "invasion" and they will have it after.
I repeat my question, what does NATO offer them?

But I need more info.
Well, it's doubtful that you will get it.
She does not support current Ukrainian Regime, that's her offence. Same with Gergiev.
Same with overwhelming majority of Russians and probably more than 50% of ukrainians. After all, Zelensky was elected to end this war, not to escalate it which he is doing now by releasing nazi scam from prisons and not talking to Russia.

They already had that.
Bullshit. Belarus ain't a Democracy. Russia isn't a Democracy. Ukraine would become like them.
Fewer incoming bombs, missiles, and shells.

I’m reading a Ukrainian scholar’s book about the history of Ukraine, a country that Barbos and Putin claimed never existed. It is speaking of the Scythians, early inhabitants of Ukraine who, the book says, are believed to be the ancestors of the Slavs. In 513 B.C. Darius led a huge Persian army to invade Ukraine. The outnumbered Scythians forced him and his army into a “humiliating retreat.” Well, they say history doesn’t repeat but it does rhyme.

Scythians did indeed live there, but they were nomads who originated from the  Sintashta culture of around 2000 BCE. That was on the Asian side of the southern Ural Mountains. The Sintashta people have the earliest known evidence of chariots, and were likely the inventors of that vehicle. Sintashta people then spread westward into Ukraine, southward into Iran, and south-southeastward into the Indian subcontinent.

The  Early Slavs spread out of their homeland over 500 - 1000 CE, their homeland likely being the  Polesia region of S Belarus, NW Ukraine, and E Poland. They split into Eastern, Western, and Southern Slavs.

Before that, some Germanic people had settled there, the  Thracian Goths in what is now Bulgaria and Romania, and  Crimean Goths who survived as a distinct community up to the 16th century or a bit later.

Around 1000 CE, the  Pechenegs, a Turkic people, settled in S Ukraine. Around then was  Hungarian conquest of the Carpathian Basin when some people from the S Urals settled in what's now Hungary.

Galicia (Eastern Europe) is in S Poland and W Ukraine, and its name is often attributed to Celtic people settling there.

Yamnaya culture (Proto-Indo-European) - Scythians (Iranian) - Goths (Germanic) - Slavs - Pechenegs (Turkic)

The Turkic homeland is likely at the west end of Mongolia, the Germanic homeland is the  Jastorf culture of Denmark and N Germany, and the Yamnaya culture originated from the  Khvalynsk culture in turn from the  Samara culture on the Volga River on the European side of the S Urals.

We find that Kyiv was founded in 882 AD and the earliest reference to entity called Moscow was 1147. The record apperars to show that Kieven Rus’ was the cradle of later Russian civilization, not the other way around, and so the record we have shows that Putin is lying as usual.

Obviously you have no idea what a democracy is.
If you think Pootey is going to allow a free and fair election after he installs his puppets, you're even more delusional that I thought.
Democracy.
ACTUAL democracy, not that fake authoritarian rigged election fauxmocracy that Russia has and American Republicans want.

Obviously you have no idea what a democracy is.
If you think Pootey is going to allow a free and fair election after he installs his puppets, you're even more delusional that I thought.
Democracy.
ACTUAL democracy, not that fake authoritarian rigged election fauxmocracy that Russia has and American Republicans want.

And this is a glimpse of what my pea brain thinks the major issue is. The Russian people are used to churches or government bureaucrats doing all the thinking/ruling for them. They also see the western version of Demcroacy as (rightfully) problematic with the corruption running amuck (just look at us man - we dirty yo). If I remember from my caring about what Europeans have to say about history days, Russians took a taste of democracy and didn't like the flavor , which was a result of said corruption showing its ass. Anyway, they do want democracy, however, I have a feeling it won't look anything like what we have in the west.

I feel like I just said a lot of racist and inaccurate stuff about Russians. I'm completely open to being corrected on this.

Russians took a taste of democracy and didn't like the flavor , which was a result of said corruption showing its ass.
I think Ukrainians understand the pros (Velenskyy, Poroshenko) and cons (Yanukovych) of democracy better than Russians do. Certainly better than present Russian company…

Russians took a taste of democracy and didn't like the flavor , which was a result of said corruption showing its ass.
I think Ukrainians understand the pros (Velenskyy, Poroshenko) and cons (Yanukovych) of democracy better than Russians do. Certainly better than present Russian company…
Whether they do or not, they seem to hae this crazy idea that it's their choice to make, on their terms, inside their borders.

Well yeah! Doesn’t “we won’t invade your Country, burn your cities, murder your citizens and destroy your military, so please let us in” count for anything?

Russia admits, it isn't going the smoothest.
article said:
Russia’s Defense Ministry on Wednesday announced that 498 service members had died in the Ukraine war and 1,597 have been wounded, conceding for the first time the high death toll in just a week’s fighting.

Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said 572 Russians had been captured. He denied reports that Russian conscripts were taking part in the fighting and said Russia’s forces had showed bravery and honor.
572 Russians have been captured? That number sounds fishy, as well as a trap.

500 killed, 1600 wounded. Likely under-reported and a relatively pathetic showing. They aren't using conscripts though... odd they'd say that they weren't if they actually weren't. Families of them will know.

2,000 people is a lot of casualties. But, when you've sent 150,000, not anything like enough to declare the campaign a loss.

2,000 people is a lot of casualties. But, when you've sent 150,000, not anything like enough to declare the campaign a loss.
Tactically true.
But politically, it could be a loss, depending on the expectations and the promises made. It was supposed to be a walk in the park. Death tolls SHOULD have been parrallel to those encountered on a military exercise in their own country.

That's what we found in Desert Storm. Casualties most resembled a desert training exercise.

Finding the enemy armed and dangerous? What's up with THAT?!!?

Back
Top Bottom