• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Well, official explanation is a threat of khahovka dam destruction and subsequent loss of communication.
Yeah, I vaguely remember the news about water gateway on that hydro power station being HIMARSed a week or so ago. Intentions of ukro-nazi strategists was clear.
Ukraine has been himarsing the bridges over that waterway for months. If they wanted to destroy the lock, they could have done it anytime. Russia hasn't provided any evidence that the lock was actually hit or damaged, so it's probably a lie to justify Russia blowing up the dam when they retreat.

Ukraine has no reason to blow up the dam. Russia, on the other hand, has already blown up multiple smaller dams to cover their retreat in Kharkiv and Kherson. Only thing that might stop them is that it might cut water supply to Crimea.

EDIT: One point that may support Ukraine hitting the lock is that maybe letting water through there doesn't mean a catastrophic failure. I don't know enough about engineering of water locks, but if that just washes away the Russian makeshift "bridge" (a pile of gravel and sand in the canal) but doesn't flood the entire river bank, then it might make sense.

Let us call Pootie's special military operation for what it is. Holdomor Ii.
Actually, it's Elensky and his nazi who is shipping food out, not Putin.

It is Pootie and his murders that are committing genocide. Russian troops callously murdering innocent civillians. War crimes. Putin is a war criminal. We will soon have a new epithet for mass murders. Facists, Nazis and Russians.

Ukraine has been himarsing the bridges over that waterway for months.
Bridges yes, water gateway on power station no. It was recent and new.
I meant these temporary bridges over that gateway:

I don't have photographic evidence of them being destroyed, because Russia doesn't seem to publish them anymore, quite sensibly. Why let your enemy know if they hit you? But there have been reports of himars strikes in Nova Kakhovka regularly.

Ukraine has no reason to blow up the dam.
So why did they bomb it then?
Maybe they didn't, and Russia is just lying about it?

Ukraine has been himarsing the bridges over that waterway for months.
Bridges yes, water gateway on power station no. It was recent and new.
I meant these temporary bridges over that gateway:
Nobody cares about bridges anymore. Problem is potential risk of flooding.
I don't have photographic evidence of them being destroyed, because Russia doesn't seem to publish them anymore, quite sensibly. Why let your enemy know if they hit you? But there have been reports of himars strikes in Nova Kakhovka regularly.
It was not destroyed. it was hit and merely damaged. But the treat of destruction was and still is there.
Ukraine has no reason to blow up the dam.
So why did they bomb it then?
Maybe they didn't, and Russia is just lying about it?
Why would Russia lie about that?
Ukro-nazi hit and damaged one of the gateways on that power station, period.

It makes perfect sense for ukro-nazi to do so, and so they did.
Now, I am not sure if it makes sense for Russians to blow it once they leave the areas. It probably does.

Let us call Pootie's special military operation for what it is. Holdomor Ii.
Actually, it's Elensky and his nazi who is shipping food out, not Putin.

It is Pootie and his murders that are committing genocide. Russian troops callously murdering innocent civillians. War crimes. Putin is a war criminal. We will soon have a new epithet for mass murders. Facists, Nazis and Russians.
Genocide is what US and their nazi puppets have been doing since 2014.
US neocons are war criminals. They need to be brought to justice for that and for Iraq, Libya, Yugoslavia, Syria, Central America, South America and Africa.

Everywhere Ukraine forces Russia to retreat, Russians leave numerous massacred civilians. Ukraine does not and never did.
Yup. Excuses abound - Barbos will be happy to tell you how it’s just Ukranian Nazis killing themselves to make poor Putler look bad.

I wonder if Barbos lives in Russia or in the EU somewhere where there is rule of law and free speech.

Free speech which allows Barbos to post on a forum like this without fear of government censorship or penalty.

Our mistake in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Libya was in thinking people were capable of democratic self rule. It does not appear possible in Russia.

Ukraine was quickly developing a stable system with democratic processes, Vlad The Great could not tolerate that on his birder and seeks to eradicate it. Replacing it with his dictatorship.

If this were WWII Vlad The Bloody would be executed for war crimes next to Tojo. Hitler commited suicide and Musolini was killed by the Italian people.

Like Musolini and Hitler, Putin is leadng his country to ruin for hos own personal glory and power.

Russia went through a period of de-Stalinization. Maybe one day it will be de-Putinization.

I still think the most unintentionally funny part of this thread is when Barbos being asked what part of Russia did the US invade his answer with a perfectly straight face was "Eastern Ukraine"

I've gotta admit - it's, as the kids today say, one hell of a self report that everytime the Russian military gets their arse handed to them Barbos spams like 10-15 incoherent posts.

I wonder if Barbos lives in Russia or in the EU somewhere where there is rule of law and free speech...

He has told us that he lives somewhere in Siberia, and I see no reason to doubt him on that.
He's best be careful. It's those outlying areas that are being most heavily conscripted to protect motherland. :rolleyes:

Biggest Defeat For Russia In A Generation As Starving Troops Flee Across A Key Ukrainian River​

The Kremlin has ordered its forces to withdraw from the city of Kherson on the Black Sea coast in southern Ukraine.
The order comes eight months after the Russians captured Kherson and its 300,000 residents, six months after Ukrainian troops began bombarding the Kherson garrison’s supply line and two months after Ukrainian brigades launched a counteroffensive in the south aimed at liberating Kherson.
It’s a profound victory for Ukraine, and a major defeat for Russia. Arguably the biggest Russian defeat in a generation.

From there, the Ukrainians with their European-made howitzers and American-made rocket-launchers easily can strike the Isthmus of Perekop, the three-mile-wide strip of land, 45 miles south of Kherson, that connects the Russian-occupied Crimean Peninsula to Kherson Oblast south of the Dnipro.

Crimea, which Russian troops seized from Ukraine back in 2014, is the base for all Russian operations in southern Ukraine. The pin holding together the occupation of the entire region.

For the Ukrainian military, liberating Kherson is a step toward liberating Crimea. Soon, Ukrainian rockets and gun barrels will begin zeroing in on the Isthmus of Perekop, the gateway to the occupied peninsula.

Is there a reason I should not be optimistic about Ukraine's chances?

Kirill Stremousov, Pewstain's puppet deputy governor in Kherson, is dead, reportedly killed in a car crash. Good news.

I thought Siberia was not a place one chooses to live.

In the news Brittney Griner is being sent to a forced labor camp. I would not expect her to survive the 8 or 9 year sentence.

Same old Stalinist-communist Russia.

Maybe Barbos is a cranky old demented die hard communist. Isolated in Siberia for too long.

Biggest Defeat For Russia In A Generation As Starving Troops Flee Across A Key Ukrainian River

The Kremlin has ordered its forces to withdraw from the city of Kherson on the Black Sea coast in southern Ukraine.
The order comes eight months after the Russians captured Kherson and its 300,000 residents, six months after Ukrainian troops began bombarding the Kherson garrison’s supply line and two months after Ukrainian brigades launched a counteroffensive in the south aimed at liberating Kherson.
It’s a profound victory for Ukraine, and a major defeat for Russia. Arguably the biggest Russian defeat in a generation.

From there, the Ukrainians with their European-made howitzers and American-made rocket-launchers easily can strike the Isthmus of Perekop, the three-mile-wide strip of land, 45 miles south of Kherson, that connects the Russian-occupied Crimean Peninsula to Kherson Oblast south of the Dnipro.

Crimea, which Russian troops seized from Ukraine back in 2014, is the base for all Russian operations in southern Ukraine. The pin holding together the occupation of the entire region.

For the Ukrainian military, liberating Kherson is a step toward liberating Crimea. Soon, Ukrainian rockets and gun barrels will begin zeroing in on the Isthmus of Perekop, the gateway to the occupied peninsula.

Is there a reason I should not be optimistic about Ukraine's chances?
I don't know. Power, water, amd food infrastrucre has been destroyed.

From commentary Putin si playing for time. Th new congress may not be so supportive

Putin is pay of Ukraine. After that a possible re[ublican president. Withiut a Biden to keep pressure on the Europeans will support diminish?

I expect Putin's offer of negotiations is just a stall. He is waiting and hoping for an opening that will let him win.

Back
Top Bottom