• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I Did Not Know

Trausti

Deleted
What neat thing have you recently learned that you did not know before.

Here's one for me:

Eg7UxvJWkAEgNXA

Cool thread idea.

Mine: I did not know that commercial meat turkeys were so adorably friendly, like little puppies.

Today I learned from a blogger I read that “whine” and “whinge” are both respectable English words going back many centuries and, although synonyms, have entirely different roots and histories.

I only became aware of “whinge” on the internet and assumed it was some vaguely British colloquialism or dialect word derived from “whine,” or even an attempt at humor, like using teh or pawn.

In 1568, in reaction to the progress of the Protestant Reformation among the Dutch, the Holy Office of the Catholic Church condemned the entire country of the Netherlands to death as heretics.

Today I learned from a blogger I read that “whine” and “whinge” are both respectable English words going back many centuries and, although synonyms, have entirely different roots and histories.

I only became aware of “whinge” on the internet and assumed it was some vaguely British colloquialism or dialect word derived from “whine,” or even an attempt at humor, like using teh or pawn.

Don't forget wine which of course is a homonym.

Bell Peppers can be bought in quantity when they're on sale at the grocery, chopped/diced, then frozen, to be used as needed, with no loss of taste.

Same with onions.

Did not know until today that One Nation is directly lifted from Hitler. I knew the similarity was remarkable, not that that was what she was aiming for.

No link. Reading a book partially set in Nazi Germany. One Nation was one of the slogans, if this author is in any way accurate. (The Twins. Tessa de Loo.)

No link. Reading a book partially set in Nazi Germany. One Nation was one of the slogans, if this author is in any way accurate. (The Twins. Tessa de Loo.)

"One Nation, One Reich, One people"
https://www.bitchute.com/video/Fc33JXmAL1xe/

To clarify, he actually says "Ein Volk, ein Reich, Deutschland", and "ein volk" could be translated as either "one people" or "one nation". The title of the video is misleading. The slogan was usually "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer".

In her maiden speech to parliament in 1996, Pauline Hanson said “To survive in peace and harmony, united and strong, we must have one people, one nation, one flag.” I wonder where she got the idea for that? Recently a former One Nation senator, Fraser Anning, used the phrase "final solution" to call for an end to Muslim immigration and a return to the White Australia policy. Anning says it was "inadvertent".

I did not know that pigs are like kittens in that they don't open their eyes until well after they are born.

I didn't know it was Bob Marley and the Wailers. I thought it was Bob Marley and the Whalers. I am ashamed.

Back
Top Bottom