• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I fully support the president

Just keep the clocks the way they are right now all year long.

Very easy to do nothing.

That's not doing nothing. That's changing the existing rules - rules that have already been gazetted and acted upon several years in advance by a wide range of system administrators.

Sounds like paid work to fix it.

It is doing nothing to the clocks once it is implemented.

Very easy to do nothing and the earliest it gets dark is now 6:30 instead of 5:30.

A great idea.

How about one global time zone? The clock time on earth would be the same everywhere.
Let’s substitute one arbitrary system for another one.

I was VERY happy - and surprised - by one of Trump's actions yesterday morning. His general effect on American public lands west of the Mississippi has been a string of disasters, and I am definitely not forgiving him, now or ever, for prostituting the Escalante.

But...

Trump Signs Decade’s Biggest Public Lands Bill, Expanding Wilderness Protections in SoCal Deserts

Passage of public lands act suggests way forward on a green new deal

Of course, his hands were a bit tied; the strong majority vote meant any veto would have been overturned anyway. But when have logic or mathematics ever stopped the man before? Losing the House has been good for him.

YEAH! CHANGE BAD!

YEAH! CHANGE THOSE BASTARDS!

YEAH! STOP FUCKING CHANGING!

YEAH! WE GOT TO FIX IT!
So just fucking stop fiddling with it.
EVERYBODY STOP FIXING IT!

OK, I can't keep up... I'm getting seasick.

All time zone and DST systems are equally bad. What is worse than any is changing all the fucking time. That's not a declaration that ALL change is bad. But changing the DST rules IS.

There's nothing inconsistent about my rant, other than your interpretations of it.

I don't disagree with your "rant" (as you put it). I just found it ironically worded.
I do agree that changing the time twice a year is just silly and unnecessary.

I can imagine this being changed so no one has to adjust their clocks anymore.. but then there will be a small group of farmers with kids that they want working at home before school who will rally against that. I can see their slogan on a hat now:

MAKE AMERICA LATE AGAIN!

My vote is to leave everything the fuck alone.

DST, no DST, whatever time zone you are in, and whether or not you change your clocks a couple of times a year, none of that shit causes any serious issues for anyone. What DOES cause serious issues is when changes of any kind are made to the system.

For fuck's sake, someone tie up all the politicians and stop the useless bastards from meddling with this.

Pick a system, and fucking stick with it.

Every single time any place in the world changes the date(s) or the existence of DST, it breaks thousands of computer systems that rely on accurate translation between local time and UTC for security timestamps.

Sure, the system is a shitty mess. But that's not something that's ever going to stop being the case. So just fucking stop fiddling with it.

It gets fucked with all the time, precisely because of the existence of DST. There is no central authority governing it, and even in the US, States, Counties, and even municipalities are free to either apply or ignore DST for however long they like, and for whatever reason they like. One example from Australia was Sydney adjusting their DST for the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

Working with time zones in programming is already problematic to say the least, but the one thing programmers using modern languages like Java don't have to deal with any more is coding for DST. Java time (java.time, based on Joda-time library) has been around since Java 8, and is very good at keeping track of that for you, as long as you keep your JRE (Java Runtime Environment) up to date. Of course, as noted above, governments of all sizes fuck with DST all the time, and this is often done between JRE updates, so Oracle even provides a time zone update tool to force update the DST settings. I would prefer for the US to eliminate DST, as that would make more sense for the regions that already ignore it, and it's not like anyone ignores Standard time in favor of implementing DST all year round, but as a programmer it won't affect me either way, and the applications I work on make heavy use of time zones in scheduling.

DST, no DST, whatever time zone you are in, and whether or not you change your clocks a couple of times a year, none of that shit causes any serious issues for anyone. What DOES cause serious issues is when changes of any kind are made to the system.

For fuck's sake, someone tie up all the politicians and stop the useless bastards from meddling with this.

Every single time any place in the world changes the date(s) or the existence of DST, it breaks thousands of computer systems that rely on accurate translation between local time and UTC for security timestamps.

Sure, the system is a shitty mess. But that's not something that's ever going to stop being the case. So just fucking stop fiddling with it.

It gets fucked with all the time, precisely because of the existence of DST. There is no central authority governing it, and even in the US, States, Counties, and even municipalities are free to either apply or ignore DST for however long they like, and for whatever reason they like. One example from Australia was Sydney adjusting their DST for the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

Working with time zones in programming is already problematic to say the least, but the one thing programmers using modern languages like Java don't have to deal with any more is coding for DST. Java time (java.time, based on Joda-time library) has been around since Java 8, and is very good at keeping track of that for you, as long as you keep your JRE (Java Runtime Environment) up to date. Of course, as noted above, governments of all sizes fuck with DST all the time, and this is often done between JRE updates, so Oracle even provides a time zone update tool to force update the DST settings. I would prefer for the US to eliminate DST, as that would make more sense for the regions that already ignore it, and it's not like anyone ignores Standard time in favor of implementing DST all year round, but as a programmer it won't affect me either way, and the applications I work on make heavy use of time zones in scheduling.

"There is nothing so useless as doing, with great efficiency, that which should not be done at all". - Peter F. Drucker.

"There is nothing so useless as doing, with great efficiency, that which should not be done at all". - Peter F. Drucker.

I couldn't agree more. We are currently doing DST with great efficiency in programming, but it would be better if we did not have to do it at all. The solution is to ditch DST so that we will no longer have to rely on JRE updates and/or the Oracle update tool for that efficiency.

Fuck that orange baboon! We should move to eliminate daylight savings time and never move the clock an hour forward as opposed to keeping it always an hour forward.

^^^^^ This times 10000000000000000X

It fucks with the body to have to wake up in the dark all the time...

something Individual 1 knows nothing about because he never gets up before 10 a.m.

I've been saying for years to move the time 1/2 hour and leave it there.

Let's just all go with UTC.

So what if it means that you get up at 2pm before the sun rises, start work at 4pm, and work until midnight? Those are just labels anyway.

With regards to worker protection laws that e. g. guarantee higher pay for night shifts, or limit the number of nightshifts your boss can require within a given period, or bar juveniles from working certain hours, those should be tied to local time anyway - what possible rationale is their for requiring someone whose timezone is an hour behind of their local time to work 4 hours after sunset and not have it count as a late shift when someone living ahead of their timezone only has to do two?

DST, no DST, whatever time zone you are in, and whether or not you change your clocks a couple of times a year, none of that shit causes any serious issues for anyone.

Except when it does. Just this week, I was fixing a test suite with most of the errors being caused by timezone/DST issues. One test failed because of a one-hour offset between the expected and actual result's timestamps - turns out the expected result was recorded in summer - a simple rewrite of the expected result will make it pass now, but fail in two weeks. Another failed because a search for documents with a `max_age` of 10 days returned, among others, a document with a timestamp of just under ten days + our locale's UTC offset in the past. And I'm pretty sure we've discarded legit documents because their "future" timestamp was seen as indicative that something's fishy.

Now of course, all of these issues are easily fixable. For the most part all it takes is to use well-maintained and documented third party libraries to retrieve the locale's current DST offset/UTC offset and add that figure to the expected results. An even cleaner approach would be to only use UTC times internally, and leave the conversion to local times to the very last moment, just when the data are presented to the client. But even so, to have that work consistently requires an extra layer of abstraction over every function that has anything to do with times, e. g. when a search for entries on June 22 has to be converted into a search for entries with a timestamp between June 21., 22:00 and June 22, 22:00 (or March 27, 23:00 to March 28, 23:00 or March 27, 22:00 to March 28, 22:00 depending on the year for March 28).

What DOES cause serious issues is when changes of any kind are made to the system.

That too, yeah.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom