• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I must have missed the day in history class ...

A friend of mine who worked in the office of one of our state legislators was in the habit of getting back at her boss for his laziness and disorganisation (which often meant large amounts of overtime being demanded at short notice), by adding malapropisms, or unusual and hard to pronounce words to his speeches, secure in the knowledge that he wouldn't even glance at them before standing up to read them to the legislative assembly.

Most of the time, nobody noticed - he just had a reputation for being a slightly overconfident speaker, who muddled his words and attemped loquaciousness beyond his abilities.

Which in the Queensland Parliament is hardly remarkable (though I do wonder just how many other disgruntled electorate officers and parliamentary researchers there might be out there).

Off topic, have you guys up north changed the law about recordings at Question Time being used for satire yet?

A friend of mine who worked in the office of one of our state legislators was in the habit of getting back at her boss for his laziness and disorganisation (which often meant large amounts of overtime being demanded at short notice), by adding malapropisms, or unusual and hard to pronounce words to his speeches, secure in the knowledge that he wouldn't even glance at them before standing up to read them to the legislative assembly.

Most of the time, nobody noticed - he just had a reputation for being a slightly overconfident speaker, who muddled his words and attemped loquaciousness beyond his abilities.

Which in the Queensland Parliament is hardly remarkable (though I do wonder just how many other disgruntled electorate officers and parliamentary researchers there might be out there).

Off topic, have you guys up north changed the law about recordings at Question Time being used for satire yet?

Nope. The use of audio or visual recordings of parliament for any purpose not explicitly permitted is still contempt of parliament, under s58 of the Parliament of Queensland Act 2001.

It's also unlawful under that act to use recordings of parliament to contradict the official record in Hansard - so if the Premier (or any other MLA) is recorded in Hansard as saying something other than what they actually said, not only are journalists not permitted to point this out, but other MLAs are prohibited from challenging the Hansard record with such recordings as evidence.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of suggesting that this is dodgy as fuck, or an infringement of Queenlander's rights to free speech, firstly because we have no such rights, and secondly because I do not wish to be fined and/or imprisoned. :)

Queenslanders heard about this whole 'freedom' and 'rights' business back in the days of the Vietnam War, and decided we didn't want a bar of such tree-hugging hippy crap.

Everything up here is prohibited, except those things that are mandatory.

Of course, this is in direct conflict with our larrikin, happy go lucky and laid-back attitude; And this conflict is resolved by the simple expedient of everyone (usually including the cops) simply ignoring all the laws we don't like.

It works surprisingly well. It's like living in a prison, where the authorities have completely lost control of the inmates - there are rules about everything, but nobody cares. Actually, it's not so much like that - that's pretty much a literal and accurate summary of the history of the state since independence from NSW. :D

Duh. As everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals.

I'm guessing that the teleprompter said "ports" and he just blindly added "air" to the ports.... He probably thinks "ports" is just short for "airports" or something.. and thought he was improving the speech. boats dock in marinas and planes dock in airports.... right.. right? anyone??

I'm guessing that the teleprompter said "ports" and he just blindly added "air" to the ports.... He probably thinks "ports" is just short for "airports" or something.. and thought he was improving the speech. boats dock in marinas and planes dock in airports.... right.. right? anyone??

Except he also referenced "manning the air" two phrases earlier. He clearly believed there was an aerial theater in this war until corrected.

Except he also referenced "manning the air" two phrases earlier. He clearly believed there was an aerial theater in this war until corrected.

He once heard someone sing something about rocket glare and bombs going off before they hit the ground. His confusion is understandable; he's a fucking ignorant moron.

Since slipping this one into the teleprompter worked out so well for the unknown WH trickster, I can't wait for the next speech Trump gives via teleprompter, which he will wrap up with "Go fuck yourself, America!"

Wasn't it the French that took care of the ports? I guess the other problem Trump had with the speech was the whole Revolution and War of 1812 Mad libs.

257717_image.jpg

I Must Have Missed The Day In History Class

... where the teacher talked about Royal Air Force was fighting in the Revolutionary War.

Wait until the Islamidiotocracy talks about history as how those Arab "death to the infidels" flying carpet terrorists were in business with those burning Bush's lynching enforcement for that second coming 9/11 Al Qaeda health care plan.

Waitaminit... the the British had planes providing scheduled service to American airports? I DON'T THINK SO!!!
If the Brits were not landing their planes at airports on American soil, then Washington would have had no reason to send forces to secure baggage claim.

Like that Freudian slip of history where the British had fighter jets in the Revolutionary War just as those burning Bush's lynching enforcement business had Al Qaeda "death to the infidels" flying carpets for that 9/11 health care patriot act where there was no reason to even bother interrupting their master plan of the master race.

Like that Freudian slip of history where the British had fighter jets in the Revolutionary War just as those burning Bush's lynching enforcement business had Al Qaeda "death to the infidels" flying carpets for that 9/11 health care patriot act where there was no reason to even bother interrupting their master plan of the master race.
Um, you largely said that already. No one wants to engage you on...um, that.

Are you quite alright? Is there someone we can call?

That seems to have been the national religion concerns when thinking back those Arab "death to the infidels" terrorists that threatened POTUS until it was dictated by cops they were going to nuke Temple Mount. At the time question was how would Arabs be able to nuke Israel & could only think of those Arabian fables of flying carpets; but then the churchstate cops dictated they weren't Arab but Al Qaeda. Trump's nearly 20 year old KKK Freudian slip like Rehnquist's ?

That seems to have been the national religion concerns when thinking back those Arab "death to the infidels" terrorists that threatened POTUS until it was dictated by cops they were going to nuke Temple Mount. At the time question was how would Arabs be able to nuke Israel & could only think of those Arabian fables of flying carpets; but then the churchstate cops dictated they weren't Arab but Al Qaeda. Trump's nearly 20 year old KKK Freudian slip like Rehnquist's ?

So, that's a no, i take it. Anyone to call, though?

Back
Top Bottom