• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

I understand why the car is red on its way out but should it be longer?

Yes. The reason it's red is that the photons appear longer. So does everything else.

I don’t think that is how Lorentz contraction would work, sorry.

The apparent elongation would come
from photons emitted from the rear left, that would have been absorbed by or bounced off the car at non-relativistic speeds.
/guess

The apparent elongation would come
from photons emitted from the rear left, that would have been absorbed by or bounced off the car at non-relativistic speeds.
/guess
Or it could be as simple as a cartoonist misunderstanding physics.

Because the aliens never arrive to compete.

Why should they - it’s so rigged!
Here’s the problem:

View attachment 32876

I have been so tempted to write a simple shoot-em-up that accurately models moving at relativistic velocity. There is a game with most of the math here: http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/ but I'm picturing more space and some opponents. And looking at their page it looks like they did most of the heavy lifting already, open sourcing the library that does all the math.

Because you're asking the wrong guy. Lorentz isn't the guy to be talking to, you need Mr. Doppler.
Doppler concerns the energy of the light received from a moving object. Lorentz concerns the length in the direction of travel of a moving object.

Back
Top Bottom