• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

Eddie Izzard was referring to this regarding German at a show I was at years ago. He is multi-lingual and has worked at doing comedy shows in multiple languages, but he noted that German can be a tad bit too literal (or maybe specific and details) and it squeezes the fun out of some jokes. This came up during his Martin Luther bit, because what comic doesn't do bits on Martin Luther?

Eddie Izzard was referring to this regarding German at a show I was at years ago. He is multi-lingual and has worked at doing comedy shows in multiple languages, but he noted that German can be a tad bit too literal (or maybe specific and details) and it squeezes the fun out of some jokes. This came up during his Martin Luther bit, because what comic doesn't do bits on Martin Luther?
When I was studying at a Lutheran seminary, many of us took classes down the hill at the GTU as well, so the school had a minivan that would ferry people into town and back a few times a day. It was called the Martin Looper or the Katie Looper depending on who was driving it, and when it was having mechanical trouble (a not uncommon occurence) they'd hang a sign on its dash to the effect of "Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Entshuldigung!" I'm now wondering whether the German students recognized that this was meant as a joke rather than just a literal description of the van's circumatances?

FbvnmNjXgAIvCJ1

Better said:
Do wish it came with a disclaimer about using this outside in the sunlight though.
“Outside” is extraneous. It will hurt just as bad in the sunlight inside. (Please don’t ask how I know).
“Do wish it came with a disclaimer about using it in sunlight though.”

Back
Top Bottom