• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

So we are planning a trip to the UK, so I opened up the Tube Map app I installed last time we were in London, to look at the best routes from the airport to my sister's house.

The app has very cleverly suggested some "nearby" stations on the London Transport network, based on my current location, though I feel that the distances given may be a touch too far to walk...

I particularly like the distances being given to two decimal places; I am underconvinced that 60m makes a worthwhile difference to a journey of over 16,500km.

When I look at my paystub, I see that my hourly earnings rate is calculated to six decimal places.

In these tough times, I can't tell you how helpful that extra $00.000002 makes when trying to put food on the table.

pencils2.jpg

So we are planning a trip to the UK, so I opened up the Tube Map app I installed last time we were in London, to look at the best routes from the airport to my sister's house.

The app has very cleverly suggested some "nearby" stations on the London Transport network, based on my current location, though I feel that the distances given may be a touch too far to walk...

View attachment 42928
I particularly like the distances being given to two decimal places; I am underconvinced that 60m makes a worthwhile difference to a journey of over 16,500km.
I would think you'd want at least one more decimal place. 60 meters could put you in the wrong house entirely!
Two decimals on the km means 10 meters--which is IIRC the original published accuracy of the GPS system. (They've improved it since but I've never seen numbers and a favorable geometry in the sky may give a better fix than normal--but a really bad geometry might give a worse fix, also. You're promised at least 4 satellites far enough above the horizon to be useful but it's possible to get 4 in one part of the sky which will degrade your fix.) While another digit would be nice the system can't deliver it with standard equipment. (It is possible to IIRC add 5 more decimal places--but that involves an extra transmitter at a known location, special antennas, plenty of time and it only gives you the answer well after the fact. Useless for navigation, but used by scientists to measure movement of "fixed" receivers--say, bolted to the inside of a sleeping volcano.)

Lame. They could have just inverted it so (point to the right) it reads
TOO COOL TO DO DRUGS
TOO COOL TO DO
TOO COOL...
Well, apparently you're not the first one with that idea:

Did These Pencils Accidentally Promote Doing Drugs?

A new batch of pencils will have the message written in the opposite direction, so when they are sharpened, they read "Too Cool To Do" and finally "Too Cool."

For pointing out the botched message, Moiser earned his class a letter of apology from the company and box full of T-shirts.

Why does Kodi think the company didn't catch the mistake themselves?

"I guess they didn't sharpen their pencils," he said.

I have this wish that anybody that fabricates something should be forced to use it for some time before it can go into full production. So many things seem like a good idea at the design phase and then become issues when in actual use.

I have this wish that anybody that fabricates something should be forced to use it for some time before it can go into full production. So many things seem like a good idea at the design phase and then become issues when in actual use.
Yup, dogfooded products tend to be better.

Right? I want to make it a felony to help a congressthing do his or her taxes.

Back
Top Bottom