• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

Why did the words, "Surrender, Dorothy" just pop into my head? :unsure:
Suspender+Dorothy.jpg

p43_orig.png

The most famous graffiti in the Washington DC area, first painted on the B&O Railroad Bridge over I-495 highway in the 1980's. It has been painted, covered over and repainted so many times that I've lost count. A local researcher tried to find out who was the original artist, but determined that the painted graffiti was in fact a copycat of this:

Surrender-Dorothy-article.jpg

This is wadded up newspaper forced into a chain link fence on the roadway bridge slightly closer to the Mormon Temple, also spanning I-495. In the 1960s through the 1980s, the local high schools, particularly the Catholic schools, used this method to post game-day messages on the fencing around their schools and in particular around their football fields. The reporter traced this first instance of "Surrender Dorothy" to a group of Catholic school students celebrating a school play. The reporter found this photo which predates all of the photos of the painted version.

EmAnSVhXEAIz3fO.jpg

And this story would not be complete without this post election version . . . cheers!

Reminds me of this old joke:

God decides to take a vacation...
So he goes to his travel agent to get some recommendations. God asks the agent where he should go and the agent says, "How about the Moon? It's supposed to be all the rage right now."
God thinks about it and says, "No... I'd like to go somewhere with a little more atmosphere."
So the agents says, "Okay, well how about Mars? It's really nice this time of year."
God considers it for a second and then says, "No... I'd really like to go somewhere with water."
The agent goes, "Oh well I've got the perfect place, how about Earth? It's got beautiful water and lots of atmosphere!"
God thinks about it again before saying, "No... I went there a couple thousand years ago and knocked up some Jewish girl and they've been talking about it ever since."

View attachment 43365

What lady came up with this reverse psychology and is it working?
It's been working since the Middle Ages. And I have no idea who came up with it, but HE was probably French.

Take a look at this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michelin_3-star_restaurants

What fraction of the chefs are female? I haven't counted, but a quick scan of the list suggests it's definitely fewer than one in ten worldwide.

For the 13 restaurants on the list in the USA, 21 chefs are named; One (Dominique Crenn) is a woman.

View attachment 43365

What lady came up with this reverse psychology and is it working?
It's been working since the Middle Ages. And I have no idea who came up with it, but HE was probably French.

Take a look at this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michelin_3-star_restaurants

What fraction of the chefs are female? I haven't counted, but a quick scan of the list suggests it's definitely fewer than one in ten worldwide.

For the 13 restaurants on the list in the USA, 21 chefs are named; One (Dominique Crenn) is a woman.
Sounds like you're suggesting women should get back in the kitchen. :angryfist: Have you not being paying attention to feminism for the last 50+ years?! ;)

How did this one make the list? "Restaurant Überfahrt".

Also...

List of female chefs with Michelin stars
A list of female chefs with Michelin stars isn't of the slightest use in determining how well represented women are amongst top chefs; For that determination, you need to know how many women (in total, or in a given category, such as "the USA") have a star, and you also need to know how many men in the same category have a star, so you can determine the ratio of men to women at that level of culinary skill.

Also...

Why shouldn't it? I forget what country but it translates as "speed."
It's German, and means "an overseas journey", or "a trip over the water".

I suspect you're thinking of the similar Danish word Fahrtkontrol, which is a police speed trap.

Fahrt, in both languages, means journey, drive, speed, trip, travel, progress, etc., with the precise translation dependent (as so often) on context.

Also...

I suspect you're thinking of the similar Danish word Fahrtkontrol, which is a police speed trap.

Fahrt, in both languages, means journey, drive, speed, trip, travel, progress, etc., with the precise translation dependent (as so often) on context.
So a journey of gas from the ass at great speed is a fahrt,,, makes perfect sense.

Also...

Ok, the translation I saw didn't cover all the meanings.

However, what you're thinking of is wrong. "Fahrtkontrol" would be speed control, making "fahrt" = speed.

I do see the wider meaning making more sense for the restaurant. "Super trip" would make much more sense for a Michelin starred restaurant, I would think "super speed" would be a fast food joint.

Back
Top Bottom