• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

How did this one make the list? "Restaurant Überfahrt".

Also...

List of female chefs with Michelin stars
Why shouldn't it? I forget what country but it translates as "speed."
It's German, and means "an overseas journey", or "a trip over the water".

I suspect you're thinking of the similar Danish word Fahrtkontrol, which is a police speed trap.

Fahrt, in both languages, means journey, drive, speed, trip, travel, progress, etc., with the precise translation dependent (as so often) on context.
Ok, the translation I saw didn't cover all the meanings.

However, what you're thinking of is wrong. "Fahrtkontrol" would be speed control, making "fahrt" = speed.

I do see the wider meaning making more sense for the restaurant. "Super trip" would make much more sense for a Michelin starred restaurant, I would think "super speed" would be a fast food joint.
You're still working outside the wider context.

The Restaurant Überfahrt is located in the Seehotel Überfahrt, on the shore of the Tegernsee, south of Munich.

It's a trip over the water for the Münchener who is looking for a nice hotel with a top quality restaurant.

Languages are contextual. They're not codes that can be directly translated from one to another by a simple comparison or equivalence table.

Before you fornicate, know that there are millions of angels in heaven watching you.
B0869452-7043-4528-A085-AD9396D7FA1F.jpeg

There‘s nothing better to do in heaven.

Wow... looks like a klan rally with the same guy repeated... over and over and over... And why is there anyone several rows back. You can't see a damn thing. Seriously, god is too stupid to put in arena seating?!

Back
Top Bottom