• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

I didn't know Americans spoke English.

There have been times I wish we did. I'm married to someone who learned English as an adult. Unfortunately, the only dictionaries we have been able to find are English-Chinese, not American-Chinese. Occasionally this has caused considerable confusion and once a considerable search for information--she was studying for her citizenship exam. The British do not call prospective laws "bills" and such matters are not a concern for the common person over there--trying to explain what a "bill" is proved very troublesome indeed. I finally managed to find out what the British call them so we could look it up.

The English call prospective laws 'Bills'. Once passed, they become 'Acts'. As far as I am aware, this usage is identical in both Westminster and Washington DC.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/bills-and-legislation/

D3WmEM0PQfaheBUIU3Tu_Nope%20Deal%20With%20It.gif

There have been times I wish we did. I'm married to someone who learned English as an adult. Unfortunately, the only dictionaries we have been able to find are English-Chinese, not American-Chinese. Occasionally this has caused considerable confusion and once a considerable search for information--she was studying for her citizenship exam. The British do not call prospective laws "bills" and such matters are not a concern for the common person over there--trying to explain what a "bill" is proved very troublesome indeed. I finally managed to find out what the British call them so we could look it up.

The English call prospective laws 'Bills'. Once passed, they become 'Acts'. As far as I am aware, this usage is identical in both Westminster and Washington DC.

Well, "bill" had no such meaning in her dictionary and someone provided another term that did make sense to her when she looked it up. I've long since forgotten what it was, though.

Well, "bill" had no such meaning in her dictionary and someone provided another term that did make sense to her when she looked it up. I've long since forgotten what it was, though.

Well that has been to one (and as far as I know, only) word to described proposed legislation submitted to, but not yet passed by, parliament in the UK for at least two hundred years; the earliest record on the House of Commons official web archive is to a bill read in July 1802, although it seems that the word 'bill' was used for this meaning at least several hundred years before that; Oliver Cromwell introduced the second reading of the Annual Parliaments Bill to the Commons in May of 1641, for example. See also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_(law).

I find it unsurprising that English-Chinese dictionaries are not a good source for authoritative and complete lists of English words; If you are using one as a reference to determine how the English use words, then you are likely to end up with the wrong answers.

Last edited:
.. says the lion. The horse looks terrified.

No, you can't really see the whites of his eyes. It could be the horse saying that.
Wait'll he gets back to the others. "Did you see? Did you see? A lion tried to jump me, i ran him around the tent, then told him to 'get the fuck off me.' Did you see? Did you see that?"

Back
Top Bottom