• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Immigrants being dropped off? PUT THEM TO WORK, Dumb-Dumb!

What should be done about all the new immigrant arrivals in major U.S. cities?

• Put them to work, or let employers hire them.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Keep shipping them around from one city to another.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crack down on independent contractors.

• Raise the minimum wage to $20/hour

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Pass more labor laws to crack down on employers.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Lock up all employers who hire an "illegal" immigrant.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Shut down all the sweatshops.

• Call a general strike. Shut down major industries.

• Elect Donald Trump.

• Re-elect Joe Biden to continue the present policies.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Lumpy's lengthy dissertation highlights the problem.

Lots of political sloganeering, but little pragmatic thinking.

When border states started sending illegals to NYC, it did not take long for NYC to say they do not have the funds and infrastructure to handle them. I don't think Lumpy and others grsp the sale of the problem.

What do you do with millions of people who have little or no English, education, and skills? Put then to work where and at what? The old manufacturing jobs that supported waves of legal immigrants are long gone. Agrculture does not require as many workers as before.

Lumpy left off an option, put them in his living room and backyard. Or is it NIMBY, somebody else do something but not in my backyard. Like Martha's Vineyard.

The border is out of control. People are showing up from Africa. Greek islands are being over run.

We are creating a latge permanent underclass with little hope of miving up.

Our education system, housing, and health care system are in trouble as it is.

Sure, let them vote too, why not. Actually, is there anything preventing them from voting? Probably not.
Why not let them vote?
They have to live with the consequences of elected officials decisions like the rest of us.

Call me a hardcore supporter of a democratic republic government, if you must. But I am. I'm very big on the will of The People. I don't care where they were born or how educated they are.

I believe in America!
Home of the Free and Land of the Brave. This Nation of Immigrants! Bring 'em on. More is better.

I really believe in that plaque on the Statue of Liberty!
Tom

I'm very big on the will of The People. I don't care where they were born or how educated they are.

Well there's the rub. You can't very well exploit a workforce if they're able to have a voice in the society.

Back in 2016 the right wing (and Trump in particular) were absolutely terrified of the idea that "illegal immigrants" were voting for Hillary. Three million votes (oddly enough more or less exactly the number he lost by) were cast by "illegal immigrants." The right wing was scared that the workers they'd imported would have a voice. We can't have that, now can we?

This comes back to Lumpy's OP. Keep the immigrants down. Pay them next to nothing. Ship them to where you want them to labor. For god's sake don't let them participate in the process! What good is an underclass if they have political power?

Stop making it illegal to hire immigrants. Grant universal work permits to ALL immigrants. Probably a million, even 2 million would get hired immediately.

But that's not enough. Hire more of them, at half minimum wage or lower, to build shelters, some kind of low-cost housing.
Exactly. California just forced through a draconian law to increase the minimum wage ( to $25 a hour I think) for the health sector. Fuck that, get these guys over to California and let them work for half the minimum wage. Or even better, less than half. But insufferable prick governor Newsom is a stickler for laws I’m afraid but to hell with that I say.

Stop making it illegal to hire immigrants. Grant universal work permits to ALL immigrants. Probably a million, even 2 million would get hired immediately.

But that's not enough. Hire more of them, at half minimum wage or lower, to build shelters, some kind of low-cost housing.
Exactly. California just forced through a draconian law to increase the minimum wage ( to $25 a hour I think) for the health sector. Fuck that, get these guys over to California and let them work for half the minimum wage. Or even better, less than half. But insufferable prick governor Newsom is a stickler for laws I’m afraid but to hell with that I say.
So....

You want everyone to have equal rights, but the "right" is the right to be exploited and underpaid, even in skilled professions that are necessary to the functioning of society?

No wonder you Republicans poll poorly in well educated states!

Fuck that, get these guys over to California and let them work for half the minimum wage. Or even better, less than half.
Might sound weird, since I'm effectively an atheist.

But that sounds incredibly immoral.
To me.

Jesus said "What you do for the Least you do for Me"

Now maybe you are a Satanist. Or worse. I don't recall you saying. You could believe in anything, I wouldn't know. But a bunch of people in the U.S. want to create a Christian Nation.

Apparently, as long as they can get rid of Jesus. Get rid of Scripture if it interferes with their personal finance or something. Substitute Trump or something.
Tom

You want everyone to have equal rights, but the "right" is the right to be exploited and underpaid, even in skilled professions that are necessary to the functioning of society?
Well unless the minimum wage comes down, all these “immigrants” are going to have a difficult time getting jobs. Surely even you can see that?

Well unless the minimum wage comes down, all these “immigrants” are going to have a difficult time getting jobs. Surely even you can see that?
No, I really don't. Why would the existence of correctly compensated skilled labor make it difficult for an immigrant or anyone else to find work in the healthcare industry? Right now, our hospita;s are struggling to attract enough workers to keep the doors open, and you want to make working in healthcare even less attractive? How could that possibly help?

And if we started trying to prevent immigrants from taking positions in healthcare, the situation would be even worse. Very few Americans pursue careers in medicine, the system relies heavily on skilled talent from overseas. Left to our own devices, we simply wouldn't have a functioning clinical system.

Less than 2 weeks ago, I underwent an unexpected quintuple bypass surgery at the Mayo Clinic. The lead surgeon was from Uruguay, assisted by doctors from Argentina, Bangladesh and the US. I had nurses from West Africa, Poland, South Korea and the US.

As a nation, we gain from welcoming immigrants of all skills from wherever they hail.

No, I really don't. Why would the existence of correctly compensated skilled labor make it difficult for an immigrant or anyone else to find work in the healthcare industry? Right now, our hospita;s are struggling to attract enough workers to keep the doors open, and you want to make working in healthcare even less attractive? How could that possibly help?
We shall just have to see how things turn out. Send them to California, they’ll find jobs no problem I’m sure. If they can’t, they can bunk down on the sidewalk with the junkies until things improve or wages adjust accordingly. Heck, make it a four day week too.

And if we started trying to prevent immigrants from taking positions in healthcare, the situation would be even worse. Very few Americans pursue careers in medicine, the system relies heavily on skilled talent from overseas. Left to our own devices, we simply wouldn't have a functioning clinical system.
Exactly, let these Venezuelan doctors and nurses work I say!! We definitely need more Spanish speaking healthcare workers in SoCal.

Tswizzle said:
We shall just have to see how things turn out. Send them to California, they’ll find jobs no problem I’m sure. If they can’t, they can bunk down on the sidewalk with the junkies until things improve or wages adjust accordingly. Heck, make it a four day week too.
Why would someone who is qualified to work in healthcare need to take such a drastic measure as "bunking down on a sidewalk"? Such a person would just do the sensible thing and move to a different state, one that is willing to pay them more than $12.5/hr for their talents.

Very few people in the healtcare system work four day work weeks, nor is that a condition of the new law, so I have no idea what you're on about.

Exactly, let these Venezuelan doctors and nurses work I say!! We definitely need more Spanish speaking healthcare workers in SoCal.
What does their language or nationality have to do with it? Are you trying to address the problem in our healthcare system, or just have less ethnic diversity in the state for some reason (that I will politely pretend I do not know)?

Why would someone who is qualified to work in healthcare need to take such a drastic measure as "bunking down on a sidewalk"? Such a person would just do the sensible thing and move to a different state, one that is willing to pay them more than $12.5/hr for their talents.
They may be qualified to work in “healthcare” but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will get a $25 an hour job in healthcare in California. In the meantime they can maybe take up employment in another field. Sad really, to let that talent go to waste in McDonalds. But I don’t make the rules.

What does their language or nationality have to do with it? Are you trying to address the problem in our healthcare system, or just have less ethnic diversity in the state for some reason (that I will politely pretend I do not know)?

Everything!! We have a lot of Spanish speaking people here (you must know this) so it stands to reason they would be better served by healthcare workers who use the same language. Duh.

They may be qualified to work in “healthcare” but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will get a $25 an hour job in healthcare in California. In the meantime they can maybe take up employment in another field. Sad really, to let that talent go to waste in McDonalds. But I don’t make the rules.

Everything!! We have a lot of Spanish speaking people here (you must know this) so it stands to reason they would be better served by healthcare workers who use the same language. Duh.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. It sounds like you're now making the case for the higher wages and the welcoming of immigrant labor. If there's some way this actually works out to being your usual xenophobic crap rather than an obvious reason why we should be encouraging qualified, bilingual skilled laborers into California, feel free to explain how.

Or at least why you keep putting weird words in quotations? Is the argument supposed to be that the healthcare industry is some sort of conspiracy and hospitals don't really exist? If not, why the scare quotes?

Sarcasm alone is not an argument, use your words and make your case if you have one.

??? Could you provide an example of my “usual xenophobic crap”?

Send them to California, they’ll find jobs no problem I’m sure. If they can’t, they can bunk down on the sidewalk with the junkies until things improve or wages adjust accordingly.
That's one.

Why do you hate America?

Tom

Back
Top Bottom