• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Impeachment II thread

Yes. Pretend Trump didn't exist and go back to how things used to be run?

You need to google the following to realize how naive your statement is:
Paul Ryan
John Boehner (the original orange man)
Newt Gingrich
Contract with America
Project for the New American Century
Grover Norquist

This has been American politics for at least four decades. Your suggestion of "go back to how things used to be run", is as out of touch as saying, "I'm a Democrat because I voted for Carter"

I agree that this has been a long time coming. There's no "going back".

Dr Z. has demonstrated a quite limited understanding of American politics and lacks the socio-historical perspective that a politically-literate US Citizen would have of the situation.

Learning about other countries is a big part of why I am here. I like to be informed about the socio-historical perspective from around the world. People from different parts of the world see contexts differently and fill in the blanks differently.

Dr Z. has demonstrated a quite limited understanding of American politics and lacks the socio-historical perspective that a politically-literate US Citizen would have of the situation.

Learning about other countries is a big part of why I am here. I like to be informed about the socio-historical perspective from around the world. People from different parts of the world see contexts differently and fill in the blanks differently.

I agree. But as I mentioned before you tend to speak authoritatively on these subjects. I have no issue with your interest to converse and understand just have issue with your tone.

I agree. But as I mentioned before you tend to speak authoritatively on these subjects. I have no issue with your interest to converse and understand just have issue with your tone.
I don't think it's tone so much as certainty.
Once Z has made up his mind about what he sees, no amount of correction from better-informed or better-placed individuals will sway him from his conclusions.

Paul Ryan
Newt Gingrich
Contract with America
Grover Norquist

This has been American politics for at least four decades. Your suggestion of "go back to how things used to be run", is as out of touch as saying, "I'm a Democrat because I voted for Carter"

None of those was the president. I think that matters.

Man, here I was thinking I make the most uninformed statements on this board.

Paul Ryan
Newt Gingrich
Contract with America
Grover Norquist

None of those was the president. I think that matters.

That's my point. You think but are completely unaware. Your perception of US politics borders on, "I saw three episodes of The West Wing and I think everybody has best intentions. Even both sides"

I agree. But Moscow Mitch's little bitch thing was just grandstanding for the trumspuckers. He totally caved because he knew Schumer would bring the hammer down hard on him if he kept playing stupid games.
As it stands, the "nuclear" threat remains and if Mitch gets too far out of line it will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

Yeah, we have Sinema and Manchin mouthing the opposition to eliminating the filibuster, but that's just a required utterance for DINOs in their situation. They will readily go along with modifying filibuster rules if required to prevent GOP obstruction. I almost hope Mitch fails to control himself and forces even more drastic action. As it is, reconciliation rules will be invoked to push forward things like COVID relief packages without the assent of Republicans. And that's just the tip of a fairly large iceberg that can sink GOP efforts to thwart the Dem agenda. This could get very interesting indeed.

Impeachment odds just plummeted to near zero. Led by the pro-terrorist anti-Democracy Rand Paul, 45 of 50 Republican Senators just voted to have the Impeachment trial dismissed. While they didn't have the votes for that motion to succeed, it showed the Dems won't get close to the 2/3 majority needed to Impeach.

It's ironic that they tried to use their votes to protect a traitor who incited terrorists to try and stop most Americans votes from being counted.

Impeachment odds just plummeted to near zero. Led by the pro-terrorist anti-Democracy Rand Paul, 45 of 50 Republican Senators just voted to have the Impeachment trial dismissed. While they didn't have the votes for that motion to succeed, it showed the Dems won't get close to the 2/3 majority needed to Impeach.

It's ironic that they tried to use their votes to protect a traitor who incited terrorists to try and stop most Americans votes from being counted.

Get ready for more seditious activities. The Republicans just said it's a-ok with them.

Get ready for more seditious activities. The Republicans just said it's a-ok with them.

I bet they don't even realize that they've handed Biden a "get out of jail forever" card. By their reasoning (and I use the term loosely), President Biden can engage in whatever illegal or unethical activity suits him, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. He can't be prosecuted while he's a sitting President, and he can't be held to account afterwards.

So the next time a Republican or right winger howls about President Biden doing something illegal or even unconstitutional, remind them that they want a President to be above the law both in and out of office.

I bet they don't even realize that they've handed Biden a "get out of jail forever" card. By their reasoning (and I use the term loosely), President Biden can engage in whatever illegal or unethical activity suits him, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. He can't be prosecuted while he's a sitting President, and he can't be held to account afterwards.

So the next time a Republican or right winger howls about President Biden doing something illegal or even unconstitutional, remind them that they want a President to be above the law both in and out of office.

Won't work. Recall Moscow Mitch holding up Garland's nomination to the supreme court for almost a year before the election but then pushing Barrett's through in a week or so. Republicans have both a very short attention span and zero sense of decency.

Won't work. Recall Moscow Mitch holding up Garland's nomination to the supreme court for almost a year before the election but then pushing Barrett's through in a week or so. Republicans have both a very short attention span and zero sense of decency.

It's almost like they don't actually use words the same way the rest of us do. It's almost as if they think words are just convenient incantations to plug in with various targets inserted that magically produce results.

Honestly, the relationship with language that conservatives seem to have reminds me of the most recent season of Sword Art Online, where people are making system calls, but don't understand that what follows "system call" has its own contextual meaning beyond the mere effects it produces, they just treat it as "magic"

Even a dog can be housetrained by pushing their noses in their own shit. Republicans will just say "Whose shit is that? Not my shit. Maybe a false flag shit. Antifa shat that."

Even a dog can be housetrained by pushing their noses in their own shit. Republicans will just say "Whose shit is that? Not my shit. Maybe a false flag shit. Antifa shat that."

Like, I want to follow this further. I think you are close. Correct, but there's more context here. Because the republicans spent the last 4 years loudly talking about how Dems always shit on the floor, and if there was shit on the floor it would obviously be the Dems that done shat it.

Like, I want to follow this further. I think you are close. Correct, but there's more context here. Because the republicans spent the last 4 years loudly talking about how Dems always shit on the floor, and if there was shit on the floor it would obviously be the Dems that done shat it.

The difference between dogs and Republicans in not one of intellect, that is about equal. The difference is having humanity. Dogs have far more of it.

It's almost like they don't actually use words the same way the rest of us do. It's almost as if they think words are just convenient incantations to plug in with various targets inserted that magically produce results.

Honestly, the relationship with language that conservatives seem to have reminds me of the most recent season of Sword Art Online, where people are making system calls, but don't understand that what follows "system call" has its own contextual meaning beyond the mere effects it produces, they just treat it as "magic"

it's Orwellian.

Impeachment odds just plummeted to near zero.
Impeachment odds were well below zero once McConnell was bitching about the power sharing deal and the Impeachment. I will say, it was a mistake not to include Georgia phone call as an article.

Trump got a good deal of revenue illegally and unconstitutionally via the emoluments, but to prove that would have taken forever! So the Democrats took two obvious cases of violations of his position for impeachment... illegally holding Congressional aid to Ukraine in return for a fake investigation announcement against the Bidens and riling a crowd in to an invasion of the Capitol.

President Clinton lied about a fucking blowjob under oath and the GOP voted to convict! The GOP can't be trusted with power because they clearly feel there should be no limits to their own exercise of it. 45 of 50 Republicans?! While it sadly became apparent that impeachment conviction wasn't going to happen based on McConnell's statements regarding the Senate this session, I thought Senators like Portman would stand up for decency.

Trump got a good deal of revenue illegally and unconstitutionally via the emoluments, but to prove that would have taken forever!

According to Legal Eagle, the rational for dismissing the emoluments clause was basically, "damage done", and were so poorly worded that they didn't seek retrospective damages. Basically the people who filed the suits Giuliani'ed themselves.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsSLG6q9FMw[/youtube]

Today's mainstream GOP pols exhibit what the Citizens Councils of the 1950s and 60s had: a complete lack of shame when they ought to be ashamed. Strutting ego in place of patriotism. Imagine the history books of the future... There really was a President who was decisively defeated in an election but decided to lie about it and stay in office -- and he was sustained by a wide majority of his party -- and all of these critters made a show of saluting the flag and loving Jesus.
Thank Zeus for videotape. Americans of the future will be able to see pre- and post- 2017 clips of Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio...what a nasty age for the conservative movement (nasty even on their terms.)

Back
Top Bottom