• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

We waited in line for an hour to vote,

I really have a hard time accepting that these long waits aren't the plan to discourage people from voting. I've never waited more than 2 minutes to get my ballot. It takes me longer to fill out the ballot than it does to get it.
We didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes when we voted early in the general election, but the Republicans cut back early voting to one week this time. Some counties had Saturday and Sunday voting but mine didn't. I have a feeling that the line will probably be shorter on Tuesday, when there are a lot of voting sites throughout the county, but it appears as if people simply wanted to get the voting over with, so a huge number of people voted early. There is only one early voting site in my county.

We use voting machines and the vote itself took less than a minute. It took more time to check our IDs and make sure that we are eligible to vote, and then check us off the list. We then print out a ballot and put it into another machine. I triple checked my ballot to make s sure I voted for Warnock. I probably should have voted absentee like a close friend of mine did. All she had to do is bring her ballot to the voting place, walk into the office and put it in a drop box.

Black voter turn out was huge in the Atlanta metro area. I'm hoping it will be the same in my county, despite not seeing many Black folks in line yesterday. My city is slightly majority Black and all of my Black friends do vote, but the younger Black residents are harder to motivate to vote. Actually, that's the case for most younger voters. There were no younger voters in line yesterday that I noticed. Anyone can vote absentee in Georgia, but you must request an absentee ballot by a certain date. It's not that hard to vote here, if you know the rules and are determined to vote. Another friend of mine always votes on Election Day because her precinct is never crowded and she can vote quickly. This is the first time I've had to wait in a long line to vote in about 20 years.

Finally voting day in Georgia is upon us tomorrow. It is going to be a long day. And possibly a long week. Or longer if the race is close enough to warrant a legal recount. Brew up some strong coffee.

This is a single race, so it is a tad bit easier to put the vote totals together. I think Warnock has this "easily", by purple Georgia standards. It is incredible how many votes Walker will receive.

I can only imagine Damon Wayan's take on him if In Living Colour and Herschel Walker's political career were adjacent.

Finally voting day in Georgia is upon us tomorrow. It is going to be a long day. And possibly a long week. Or longer if the race is close enough to warrant a legal recount. Brew up some strong coffee.
If this is close, I’m gonna go full Swammi and pitch a tent on the beach in Thailand.

A big question is, if Walker loses, then what? Will Walker go away or become a perreniel candidate? Try to become a GOP kinmaker ala Trump?

A big question is, if Walker loses, then what? Will Walker go away or become a perreniel candidate? Try to become a GOP kinmaker ala Trump?
Trump got over seventy four million votes.
No, really - he did. And he is still a loser-maker, not a kingmaker. Walker would need an entire planet full of lizard people to even come lose to Trump, let alone become a kingmaker in his own right.

Trump got over seventy four million votes.
No, really - he did. And he is still a loser-maker, not a kingmaker. Walker would need an entire planet full of lizard people to even come lose to Trump, let alone become a kingmaker in his own right.
Seems the only thing Walker is actually good at is making fetuses to be aborted.

This is a from a tweet thread of some guy describing his voting experience in Atlanta.

Man voting in Georgia is so different than in Illinois. When I lived in chicago, during early voting, I went to the local elementary school, waited in line about ten minutes, and they gave me a sheet of paper. I checked people off then I put it in the machine and left.

Not Georgia. We drove downtown because *every* other polling place had a line >90 minutes. We paid ten bucks to park. We went in the building, then emptied out pockets to go through a metal detector. We then saw a sign about where to park to get our parking validated. Inside.

We then waited in line ~80 minutes. We got to the end and we were given a form to fill out (?). We were told *not* to sign it until told. Then we were moved into a waiting room where we were given a ticket number, like when you are at the dmv.

We were told to get our IDs out and wait. We waited here for 15-20 minutes. When your number is called they took your form, did some stuff on the computer, then told you to sign the form. Then you get a little green card. You insert it into the machine.

Then you go through three or four prompts, including a very serious™️ warning about perjury, a totally necessary warning given how huge a problem stolen identity is for the purposes of voting on behalf of someone else.

You then finally vote, and after an “are you sure” prompt you get a sheet. You then have to walk the sheet over to feed it into a machine. About half of these were working.

The bottleneck was clearly the weird application and waiting room thing. There are two dozen people at a time sitting to have their stuffed checked. Think of it as regular voting except when you got there they had to run a credit check for *each person* like you need financing.

It was easier finishing my PhD paperwork. Thankful for the kind people (nearly all black women) the shepherded the processes. But man if you are poor or disabled or whatever, good luck yo. That should have been easier. We finished tho.

wtf

This is a from a tweet thread of some guy describing his voting experience in Atlanta.

Man voting in Georgia is so different than in Illinois. When I lived in chicago, during early voting, I went to the local elementary school, waited in line about ten minutes, and they gave me a sheet of paper. I checked people off then I put it in the machine and left.

Not Georgia. We drove downtown because *every* other polling place had a line >90 minutes. We paid ten bucks to park. We went in the building, then emptied out pockets to go through a metal detector. We then saw a sign about where to park to get our parking validated. Inside.

We then waited in line ~80 minutes. We got to the end and we were given a form to fill out (?). We were told *not* to sign it until told. Then we were moved into a waiting room where we were given a ticket number, like when you are at the dmv.

We were told to get our IDs out and wait. We waited here for 15-20 minutes. When your number is called they took your form, did some stuff on the computer, then told you to sign the form. Then you get a little green card. You insert it into the machine.

Then you go through three or four prompts, including a very serious™️ warning about perjury, a totally necessary warning given how huge a problem stolen identity is for the purposes of voting on behalf of someone else.

You then finally vote, and after an “are you sure” prompt you get a sheet. You then have to walk the sheet over to feed it into a machine. About half of these were working.

The bottleneck was clearly the weird application and waiting room thing. There are two dozen people at a time sitting to have their stuffed checked. Think of it as regular voting except when you got there they had to run a credit check for *each person* like you need financing.

It was easier finishing my PhD paperwork. Thankful for the kind people (nearly all black women) the shepherded the processes. But man if you are poor or disabled or whatever, good luck yo. That should have been easier. We finished tho.

wtf
And to think in the end the Democrats just steal the election. All that trouble for nothing. How Kafkaesque.

wtf
And to think in the end the Democrats just steal the election. All that trouble for nothing. How Kafkaesque.
Now at least you understand why voting by mail is so dangerous.

wtf
Now at least you understand why voting by mail is so dangerous.
I don’t think I have as I’ve been voting by mail for decades.

Finally, it is voting day in Georgia. By the end of the day, I want to see Republicans crying big salty tears. Go Warnock!

Georgia will be represented by 2 Dem senators for at least the next 4 years. 😲:)

Currently, RW is beating HW by about 49,000 votes out of about 3,421,000 votes, and from the New York Times's estimates, I estimate that RW's lead will increase by about 65,000 votes, giving 114,000 votes. That's about 3.3% of the total number of votes.

With 98% of the vote counted, Warnock has 50.7% to Walker's 49.3%. Not close enough to demand a recount. But that a clown like Walker could get 49.3% of the vote is sobering.

Back
Top Bottom