• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

That's because many Republicans are yellow-dog Republicans, because they will vote for any yellow dog of a politician who just happens to be a Republican. In fairness, there are also many yellow-dog Democrats.

Also, which news service(s) reported 98% counted? The New York Times stops at 95% -- anything above that is >95%.

All but three of GA's counties now have >95% counted, and all but four have estimated remaining votes with a <. Those four: Cobb at 15,000 (RW +19%), DeKalb at 13,000 (RW +73%), Jackson at 3,000 (HW -57%), and Ware at 600 (HW -42%).

RW is now 2.6% ahead of HW. DeKalb County is now at <5,000 votes uncounted, but the other numbers are unchanged.

Only 0.5% of the vote remains uncounted, and it's likely to add 0.025% to RW's victory margin.

I think that we can all breathe a big sigh of relief.

Given that the House will be in Republican hands for the next 2 years, I doubt that there will be much legislative progress after this victory for Democrats in the Senate. However, Biden will now be able to get a lot of judicial appointments through. Senate committees will also finally get subpoena power to aid in their investigations.

Cobb County is now at <5,000 votes uncounted, leaving only Jackson and Ware Countes.

RW now leads HW by 2.70%, and the remaining votes will likely reduce this by 0.06%, giving 2.64%.

I was too busy to post in this thread yesterday. Of course, I'm relieved that Warnock won, but still don't understand how so many people could vote for such a totally unqualified man as Walker, I was also glad to see that Walker gave a good speech, and accepted his defeat gracefully. I do wonder if he regrets being pushed to run in the first place. Now he can go back to Texas, where he belongs.

I want to add that there were almost no lines anywhere. My neighbor voted yesterday and she was in and out and less than 10 minutes. I think the problem was that early voting was cut back by two weeks and most of us wanted to get voting done early so the lines were long. There are far more places to vote on Election Day compared to during early voting. Even the largest counties had short lines or no lines at all yesterday. I was glad to see that.

I'm not crazy about the fact that Warnock keeps bringing god and spirituality into his speeches but he's done a decent job as Senator and this is Georgia, a big part of the Bible Belt. He did say that those of us who don't like his bringing god into it, are still part of the big tent that makes up the Democratic Party. Okay. That's a start. :)

Watching fox. Sour grapes.
What are they saying? Are they now disowning Herschel Walker? Treating this loss as a minor issue?
It was pitiful - hand wringing, moaning the fates. “Are we just going to keep on making the same mistake over and over? Just keep on LOSING?!” Poor Laura was SO upset.

What are they saying? Are they now disowning Herschel Walker? Treating this loss as a minor issue?
It was pitiful - hand wringing, moaning the fates. “Are we just going to keep on making the same mistake over and over? Just keep on LOSING?!” Poor Laura was SO upset.
They aren't wrong. The nonsensical GOP base has handed several Senate seats to the Democrats, including a rare one in Maryland!

They are doing what people like me keep warning the liberal without a care wing of the Democrats not to do. Even in Georgia, Alabama, and Arizona, there are bridges that are too far. Had the GOP nominated pretty much anyone else, they'd have likely won. But, thanks Trump, you did America a favor here.

Indeed, what we understood about the the right-wing and what they'd support was grossly uninformed back then.

I want to add that there were almost no lines anywhere. My neighbor voted yesterday and she was in and out and less than 10 minutes. I think the problem was that early voting was cut back by two weeks and most of us wanted to get voting done early so the lines were long. There are far more places to vote on Election Day compared to during early voting. Even the largest counties had short lines or no lines at all yesterday. I was glad to see that.
The Georgia GOP is going to have to work on that. Could be that many of these gerrymandered GOP state legislatures are counting on SCOTUS to disenfranchise the voting public and place all votes into the hand of these gerrymandered legislatures. So much election fraud out there you can't blame them. :rolleyes:

America is a country for White Men — Just ask them; they'll tell you. If only white men could vote, Trumpists and QAnon would win every election in a landslide.

Among the 50 states, Georgia is tied at #3 with New York for highest absolute number of black citizens, behind Texas and Florida. As a percent of population, Georgia is tied at #2 with Louisiana, behind only Mississippi. Black voters are the only reason the state's elections are not completely dominated by White Men.

With 98% of the vote counted, Warnock has 50.7% to Walker's 49.3%. Not close enough to demand a recount. But that a clown like Walker could get 49.3% of the vote is sobering.

White Evangelical Christians were faced with the choice between a Baptist pastor and a moronic "baby-killing" hypocrite whose only virtue was kissing Trump's butt-hole. 88% of White Evangelical Christians voted for Walker. That's Eighty-Eight percent with two Es.

Yes, many young whites are less racist than their parents, but the only reason Warnock won was High Black Turnout. Blacks turned out to vote despite the deliberate obstacles mentioned in this thread. With Georgia's state government controlled by Republicans, we may expect to see the "problem" of High Black Turnout addressed even more aggressively in future.

(Anyone who replies "But but both candidates were black" is beyond hope.)

America is a country for White Men — Just ask them; they'll tell you. If only white men could vote, Trumpists and QAnon would win every election in a landslide.
:cry:
White Evangelical Christians were faced with the choice between a Baptist pastor and a moronic "baby-killing" hypocrite whose only virtue was kissing Trump's butt-hole. 88% of White Evangelical Christians voted for Walker. That's Eighty-Eight percent with two Es.
Have a cite for that or is that Exit Polling from the General Election? Not questioning the veracity, just wondering if there was data on the run-off.
Yes, many young whites are less racist than their parents, but the only reason Warnock won was High Black Turnout. Blacks turned out to vote despite the deliberate obstacles mentioned in this thread. With Georgia's state government controlled by Republicans, we may expect to see the "problem" of High Black Turnout addressed even more aggressively in future.

Someone was asking about what the Dems would do for the White House in 2024. I said it was up to the voting black population. Blacks nominated Biden, and they showed up in 2020. They effectively have been the only reason why our nation hasn't devolved into an uncoverable Christian Taliban run nation.

Could be that many of these gerrymandered GOP state legislatures are counting on SCOTUS to disenfranchise the voting public and place all votes into the hand of these gerrymandered legislatures.

At the hearing today for that case, it sounded like there are enough conservatives against it to reject it.

I was too busy to post in this thread yesterday. Of course, I'm relieved that Warnock won, but still don't understand how so many people could vote for such a totally unqualified man as Walker, I was also glad to see that Walker gave a good speech, and accepted his defeat gracefully. I do wonder if he regrets being pushed to run in the first place. Now he can go back to Texas, where he belongs.
I was watching a report a few days ago about how many black Georgians were offended that Republicans thought they would vote for Walker just because he was black.

Among the 50 states, Georgia is tied at #3 with New York for highest absolute number of black citizens, behind Texas and Florida. As a percent of population, Georgia is tied at #2 with Louisiana, behind only Mississippi. Black voters are the only reason the state's elections are not completely dominated by White Men.

With 98% of the vote counted, Warnock has 50.7% to Walker's 49.3%. Not close enough to demand a recount. But that a clown like Walker could get 49.3% of the vote is sobering.

Hey. What a minute. There was a big atheist turnout too. 😜 Every single one of my atheist friends voted for Warnock. In fact, I told a Black Christian friend of mine earlier this morning while we were celebrating the victory, that atheists and Black voters need each other because just like most Black folks, most atheists and nones are also Democrats. There are a lot more atheists and non religious folks in Georgia than you might realize. Okay. There also a lot of white suburban women who also vote Democrat and I know that some of them are Christians. I've met some of them and discussed why they've changed parties. The Repugs know that over 90% of Black folks vote for Democrats so it's easy to target areas that are majority Black. It's harder for them to figure out which white folks vote for Democrats. If we could get out more of the young vote, especially the young Black and student voters, Georgia would be blue by now.

Having been raised in a strict evangelical Christian home, it does blow my mind that these people have gone so far off the path. My poor mom was in the early stages of Alzheimer's when Trump was elected and she was totally devastated. Most of her church friends hated Obama and told her to vote Republican. She resisted and vented to me about it. I'm proud to say that she was one of the small percentage of evangelicals who at least held true to her values.

I was watching a report a few days ago about how many black Georgians were offended that Republicans thought they would vote for Walker just because he was black.
Yeah. I read an article about that. The idiots don't realize that Black people are a lot smarter than they seem to think and older Black people are some of the most reliable voters in Georgia. 3% of Black people voted for Walker. I wonder why it was so high. :)

:cry:
Have a cite for that or is that Exit Polling from the General Election? Not questioning the veracity, just wondering if there was data on the run-off.

No cite; just a good guess based on the November exit polls. Didn't Warnock win the run-off by roughly the same 50-49 margin he had in November?

Sure, it's POSSIBLE that a significant number of White Evangelicals switched their TV channels and suddenly changed their minds about Walker, while an equal number of Black Christians shrugged their shoulders and said "We voted Warnock in November and now have to vote again? Let's vote Walker out of spite!"

That is POSSIBLE. It's also thermodynamically possible that your iced coffee will suddenly catch on fire. But unlikely.

Someone was asking about what the Dems would do for the White House in 2024. I said it was up to the voting black population. Blacks nominated Biden, and they showed up in 2020. They effectively have been the only reason why our nation hasn't devolved into an uncoverable Christian Taliban run nation.

What success the Democratic Party has today is due to Black support. That's why making South Carolina the early primary state has great merit.

We keep cheating and cheating, and lying and lying, and yet still the voters won't trust us.

I just read in WaPo that a fairly large number of Republicans voted for Warnock in the runoff. In fact, the article made the claim that more Republicans than Democrats voted in the runoff, but a lot of Republicans simply couldn't support someone like Walker. I hope that's true, but I'm not sure how they gathered those numbers since we don't register with a party in Georgia.

The articles said the same thing happened in some other races across the country. Republicans voted Democrat in some races because the Republican candidate was so horrible. We know there was a lot of split ticket voting in November in Georgia. Republicans voted for Kemp but then they voted for Warnock instead of Walker. Good to know that there are at least a small percentage of Republicans who did the right thing in the run off.

I agree it's good to have SC be the first state to vote in the Democratic primaries. Iowa is almost all white and it's had the power to vote first in the primaries for far too long. It's past time to have a state that is more racially diverse have a say in the early primaries. Let's not get too excited about the Black vote. A lot of younger Black folks still don't vote. I know because I used to try to persuade them to vote when I worked with a lot of young Black women, and rarely was successful. One of my Black friends finally got her two middle aged children to vote for the first time in their lives in 2020. Voter apathy is a huge problem in the US, certainly in Georgia, and sadly it's worse among those who lean Democrat compared to those who lean Republican.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many older white adults vote for the Republican Party when that party would love to hurt SS and Medicare. From what I've seen on interviews, it seems to be based on ignorance. I guess that's what happens when one gets all their "news' from far right sources.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many older white adults vote for the Republican Party when that party would love to hurt SS and Medicare. From what I've seen on interviews, it seems to be based on ignorance. I guess that's what happens when one gets all their "news' from far right sources.

I recall a couple years ago, maybe a bit more, some Republican woman furiously holding a sign that said something like "Keep the Government out of my Medicare!" Mindbogglingly stupid.

Back
Top Bottom