• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

I'm still trying to figure out why so many older white adults vote for the Republican Party when that party would love to hurt SS and Medicare. From what I've seen on interviews, it seems to be based on ignorance. I guess that's what happens when one gets all their "news' from far right sources.

I recall a couple years ago, maybe a bit more, some Republican woman furiously holding a sign that said something like "Keep the Government out of my Medicare!" Mindbogglingly stupid.
I remember that too. I watched some comedian go into a group of Walker supporters, pretending he was one of them. It was both hilarious and sad. The people he interviewed were mostly older adults and they were terribly ignorant of what the Republican Party supports. Most of them seemed to have no idea how SS and Medicare works and which party supports their benefits. The simple truth is that the vast majority of us older adults rely on SS as our primary source of income. One would think that this would be the most important issue for anyone nearing old age or already receiving these much needed benefits.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many older white adults vote for the Republican Party when that party would love to hurt SS and Medicare. From what I've seen on interviews, it seems to be based on ignorance. I guess that's what happens when one gets all their "news' from far right sources.

I recall a couple years ago, maybe a bit more, some Republican woman furiously holding a sign that said something like "Keep the Government out of my Medicare!" Mindbogglingly stupid.
I remember that too. I watched some comedian go into a group of Walker supporters, pretending he was one of them. It was both hilarious and sad. The people he interviewed were mostly older adults and they were terribly ignorant of what the Republican Party supports. Most of them seemed to have no idea how SS and Medicare works and which party supports their benefits. The simple truth is that the vast majority of us older adults rely on SS as our primary source of income. One would think that this would be the most important issue for anyone nearing old age or already receiving these much needed benefits.
When I was a young woman, there was a lot of talk about Social Security not being around in 30-50 years. I remember talking with my dad about it and he said that was something HIS father thought would happen for HIM. My grandfather was in an early wave of SS recipients....And of course, my kids are certain it won't be there for them. I've told them they cannot count on SS as their primary source of income, for certain. We will not be counting on SS as our only source of income, for certain. I have a modest pension and we have a decent retirement account, although not as decent as it was a year ago. Crossing fingers there...

Despite what a few unhinged members of the GOP propose, I seriously doubt that there is or will be an actual effort to eliminate Social Security.

Someone was asking about what the Dems would do for the White House in 2024. I said it was up to the voting black population. Blacks nominated Biden, and they showed up in 2020. They effectively have been the only reason why our nation hasn't devolved into an uncoverable Christian Taliban run nation.
What success the Democratic Party has today is due to Black support. That's why making South Carolina the early primary state has great merit.

I have heard this argument a lot, but I think that it is a bit wrong-headed and self-indulgent for Democrats to think this way. The strategy should be to make the primary sequence work better for the general election than intra-party politics. In the general election, you want to attract moderates and even Republicans to the ticket, not just motivate the base to turn out. A strategy that favors the voting base of the party will tend to pick candidates that appeal most to the fringes of the party rather than the center of the general voting public. This strategy of starting out with South Carolina looks to me like Joe Biden setting himself up for winning the nomination in 2024, which is not what I think even most Democrats want to see.

When I was a young woman, there was a lot of talk about Social Security not being around in 30-50 years. I remember talking with my dad about it and he said that was something HIS father thought would happen for HIM. My grandfather was in an early wave of SS recipients....And of course, my kids are certain it won't be there for them. I've told them they cannot count on SS as their primary source of income, for certain. We will not be counting on SS as our only source of income, for certain. I have a modest pension and we have a decent retirement account, although not as decent as it was a year ago. Crossing fingers there...

Despite what a few unhinged members of the GOP propose, I seriously doubt that there is or will be an actual effort to eliminate Social Security.
I agree but if the Republicans had total power, I have no doubt they would decrease the rate, and possibly end or lower the raises. I get a tiny pension for NC for the 5 years I worked as a state employee. I haven't gotten a raise on it in 13 years. Everyone is required to take it at age 60. Luckily we do have substantial retirement savings, but most boomers don't, from what I've read. Plus, savings can get eaten up fast if one needs long term care, since M'care doesn't cover that, other than for short term rehab. My mom currently pays 12K per month for her nursing home. She would be devastated if she knew that.

One way to keep SS solvent would be to have everyone pay into it on their entire income, instead of only on the first 150 K or so as it is now. The Republicans want to increase the age when SS recipients can receive full benefits again. There's a lot of things they can do to hurt benefits, if they were to control Congress and the Presidency.

One big problem that I see with Medicare is fraud and abuse. I saw it abused by home health when I worked in QA and I've seen it abused by hospice when I worked in long term care. There was a recent article in either the NYT or WaPo that discussed how hospice has been abused. There is a lot of fraud in these programs too. Additionally, some doctors over test and do unnecessary procedures, especially if they have the equipment to do the procedures in their own offices. I don't know how that could be radically changed.

I know we are way off topic. Maybe we should start a thread about SS and M'care M'caid.

Someone was asking about what the Dems would do for the White House in 2024. I said it was up to the voting black population. Blacks nominated Biden, and they showed up in 2020. They effectively have been the only reason why our nation hasn't devolved into an uncoverable Christian Taliban run nation.
What success the Democratic Party has today is due to Black support. That's why making South Carolina the early primary state has great merit.

I have heard this argument a lot, but I think that it is a bit wrong-headed and self-indulgent for Democrats to think this way. The strategy should be to make the primary sequence work better for the general election than intra-party politics. In the general election, you want to attract moderates and even Republicans to the ticket, not just motivate the base to turn out. A strategy that favors the voting base of the party will tend to pick candidates that appeal most to the fringes of the party rather than the center of the general voting public. This strategy of starting out with South Carolina looks to me like Joe Biden setting himself up for winning the nomination in 2024, which is not what I think even most Democrats want to see.
As one who has lived in the South for most of my adult life, I strongly support the idea of having early primaries in some of the Southern states. Biden will only win if enough people support him. Right now, the majority of Democrats want someone younger.

As of now, I would support him, as I don't currently see anyone else who could defeat the Republicans. I'm open to having someone else. I just don't know who that would be, and every time I read a list of possible Democratic candidates, other than Biden, I cringe. We could start a new thread to discuss potential candidates in 2024, if anyone is up to that. We Americans get done with one election and we become obsessed with the next one, don't we?

As one who has lived in the South for most of my adult life, I strongly support the idea of having early primaries in some of the Southern states. Biden will only win if enough people support him. Right now, the majority of Democrats want someone younger.

As of now, I would support him, as I don't currently see anyone else who could defeat the Republicans. I'm open to having someone else. I just don't know who that would be, and every time I read a list of possible Democratic candidates, other than Biden, I cringe. We could start a new thread to discuss potential candidates in 2024, if anyone is up to that. We Americans get done with one election and we become obsessed with the next one, don't we?
Well I want someone younger than Biden but I have to admit he’s getting much more done than I anticipated. However, my kids just think about what hasn’t gotten done. In 2 years which is an absurdly short period of time by government standards. Youth is so impatient.

Well I want someone younger than Biden but I have to admit he’s getting much more done than I anticipated. However, my kids just think about what hasn’t gotten done. In 2 years which is an absurdly short period of time by government standards. Youth is so impatient.
So, who do you think would be good? That's the problem. Gail Collins had a funny piece about that too. SNL did a piece on it for Halloween. Both were about how much Biden is compared to the alternatives. I'm very tired of the ageism in politics lately. With age comes experience and wisdom. I've seen that in Biden. He's done a much better job than most presidents in my life time.

Not everyone can do the job at 80, that Pelosi and Biden have done, but there have been plenty of sharp 90 year olds. We all age differently. I know that some people think Biden is losing it, but I see no evidence of that. Sure, he gaffes. It's part of his charm. Sometimes he looks very tired, but who wouldn't with his schedule. If someone better comes along, I'll support them. Sadly, I don' think this country is going to vote for a gay person or a woman yet, plus I want someone with at least 15 or more years of experience in government, who understands the system, who is realistic and willing to compromise when necessary. I like Cory Booker, but my Jersey sister doesn't seem to think he has enough support. Maybe there is some smart, left leaning moderate Democrat with lots of charisma, but I haven't seen him or her yet. Nobody too far left has a chance of becoming the next US president and I want someone who can win.

Younger people will never be satisfied with someone like Biden. And, most of them don't really understand how hard it is to get anything done in this divided country of ours. We will be lucky if anything gets done in the next two years, but at least we can keep the Repugs from doing a lot of harm. Biden is the only president in my lifetime who was able to keep the Senate and only lost a small percentage of seats in the House. Maybe thee Republicans will self destruct with all their stupid investigations. They have no thoughts or original ideas, but they are pretty good at manipulating the "lowly educated". By that, I'm not talking about years of schooling. One can go to school for decades and still be ignorant of a lot of things. I refer to them as Republicans. :)

...So, who do you think would be good? That's the problem. Gail Collins had a funny piece about that too. SNL did a piece on it for Halloween. Both were about how much Biden is compared to the alternatives. I'm very tired of the ageism in politics lately. With age comes experience and wisdom. I've seen that in Biden. He's done a much better job than most presidents in my life time...

Myself, I think that Gretchen Whitmer will be a serious contender, but she would likely get nowhere in South Carolina, where she is relatively unknown. She would stand a much better chance in Iowa or New Hampshire. Michigan is being moved up in the primary sequence because of her, so I think she does have a chance of capturing the nomination anyway. Beyond that, I'm not sure that we have any strong African Americans as potential candidates, but Biden would be a reliable draw among that demographic if he weren't so damned old. Kamala Harris might start to rise again in the party, because she is no longer going to be as preoccupied with breaking ties in the Senate. Her popularity has faded ever since she won the VP slot.

Geesh! Just because Biden's age is in units of googols doesn't mean he is that old.

Biden, Schumer, and Pelosi managed to achieve a lot, and Schumer gets a big part of that credit. He did some new stuff in the Senate. I always thought that it was odd how the GOP whined about Reid. You want a NY'er in charge... think he's gonna try less hard than a laid back guy in Nevada? Dumbasses.

I'm good with whomever the minorities are voting for. Their turnout is what wins elections. If the Dems win Georgia... we win the election. Just occurred to, are there any black Governors in the US? I don't think so. *runs off to look*

We've got one who will be. Jebus... we've had almost as many black governors in the US as we've had black Presidents. Oi!

Well, put Wes Moore up for Presidential hopeful in 2028, if we are still doing that election thing then.

Gretchen Whitmer has already stated she’s not running in 2024, but you’re right: she’d be a strong contender. I like Katie Porter very much. I like Corey Booker as well. I like Amy Klobuchar but I can’t see her winning POTUS. She doesn’t have that telegenic personality zing that is, unfortunately, necessary for the win. If people thought Elizabeth Warren was a scolding school marm, they’d chew Amy up. I don’t see her that way but I near her debates to see how people came across on camera.

I'd love to see a women become president, but I don't think this country is ready for that yet. If the dynamic, brilliant Stacey Abrams couldn't even come close to beating Kemp, I don't see how any woman could beat someone like DeSantis, who at this point is starting to look like Trump's replacement. Anyway, we have time to figure this out.

I'm not sold that DeSantis is as good as he thinks he is. His power requires a demographic that much much more common in FL that other parts of the country. If he ran, I think he takes Georgia and Arizona. Putting this down to Nevada (no Cuban Hispanics) and Wisconsin. With Arizona and Georgia kind of lost, I think the money would poor into NH, NV, PA, MI, and WI. Though the GOP would save money by not needing to work as hard in an expensive state like FL.

I'm not sold that DeSantis is as good as he thinks he is.
I think he will be a grand flop on the national stage. Plays well in FL as you say, but there is limited need for exposure there.
He looks easily rattled under pressure, and has the charisma of a ‘possum. Once the American public gets to know him I think there will be a huge collective “Eeeuw!”

I'm not sold that DeSantis is as good as he thinks he is.
I think he will be a grand flop on the national stage. Plays well in FL as you say, but there is limited need for exposure there.
He looks easily rattled under pressure, and has the charisma of a ‘possum. Once the American public gets to know him I think there will be a huge collective “Eeeuw!”

But he does cut a striking figure in Nancy Sinatra boots. People admire him for his bold fashion choices, nuanced grasp of the whistleblowing arts, opposition to democratic elections, and ability to enrage liberals. He has Trump's flair for appointing crackerjack public officials like his state Surgeon General. He certainly has the inside track on the Republican nomination. I think that Fox News will be sponsoring the coronation ceremony.

But he does cut a striking figure in Nancy Sinatra boots.

That is indeed impressive, but the ability to piss off the libs is by far his strongest qualification. Which might get him the nomination, but not if the lib-pisser-in-chief is still in it. If DethSentence should get the nomination, I’m sure there will be no debates vs the Dem candidate; he is amazingly easy to flummox and can’t keep his shit together under pressure.

But he does cut a striking figure in Nancy Sinatra boots.

That is indeed impressive, but the ability to piss off the libs is by far his strongest qualification. Which might get him the nomination, but not if the lib-pisser-in-chief is still in it. If DethSentence should get the nomination, I’m sure there will be no debates vs the Dem candidate; he is amazingly easy to flummox and can’t keep his shit together under pressure.
Agreed he has a lot of Hershel Walker in him. But he is more able to keep his mouth shut when it matters.

Agreed he has a lot of Hershel Walker in him. But he is more able to keep his mouth shut when it matters.
I do not see a resemblance. Walker is an idiot who can't string two coherent sentences together. DeSantis has degrees from Harvard and Yale and has attained the rank of Lt. Cmd. as a Navy JAG. DeSantis also won several elections, including two for governor, while Walker lost his one election.

Where do you see similarities exactly?

Me every time DeSantis wins.
giphy.gif

We'll get him next time.

Back
Top Bottom