• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

It's happening. Voters eligibility are being questioned in Georgia by other voters.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/severa...bility-challenges/WOUAH77TLRBD5A5HLLFSJV3S44/

When Barbara Helm tried to vote, she found out that her Georgia voter registration had been challenged by another voter and canceled last summer.

Helm, who is homeless and sleeps in her car, lost her ability to vote after a local Republican voter used the state’s election laws to contest the registrations of over 31,000 Forsyth County voters this year. About 600 of his challenges were successful.

In Helm’s case, the county elections board upheld the challenge against her in June because, lacking a residential address, she had registered to vote using the address of a post office in Cumming.

II guess if you're homeless, you can't vote.

The people who have filed voter challenges often rely on change-of-address records or addresses that don’t match residential properties.

But some of their challenges affect eligible voters such as Helm. The man who challenged Helm, Frank Schneider, couldn’t be reached for comment Monday through publicly listed phone numbers.

In another case, this time in Fulton County, Stephanie Friedman said she was shocked to be told that her registration had been challenged when she attempted to cast a ballot last week at the Milton Library.

Friedman, a naturalized U.S. citizen since 2016, was allowed to cast a regular ballot after election officials called the main office and verified her information.

“Nobody was able to tell me what this meant. Why me?” Friedman said. “Imagine somebody who is more vulnerable, who is very busy, who has to be clocking in somewhere.”

The fact that legitimate voters are learning they were challenged when they show up at polling places is problematic, said Kristin Nabers, state director for the voting rights organization All Voting Is Local.

Voters shouldn’t have to overcome unnecessary obstacles from challenges that incorrectly targeted them, Nabers said.

“Allegations of voter fraud and challenges to voter eligibility are not based on any reality. It’s really just a way to effectuate this never-ending stream of lies about our elections,” Nabers said. “It’s meant to intimidate voters. It’s meant to confuse voters.”
It's conservatives who are challenging these voter registrations. It's unlikely that any who were lawfully removed tried to vote, but a lot who were removed had to go to extra trouble to prove that they were legally registered. It doesn't seem right that homeless people can't vote, but how do you have a valid address if you're have to live on the streets? There are a lot of homeless people who have lost jobs or can't afford the rapidly increasing rents. I know of one woman who had to move in with her son because her rent was raised by several hundred dollars per month. Luckily for her, she has a son who invited her to move in with him. If not for that, she would be a 75 year old homeless woman.

Georgians who identify themselves as conservatives or election skeptics have challenged over 65,000 voter registrations across the state this year, based on a belief that voter lists are inaccurate and vulnerable to fraud. County election boards have upheld about 3,200 of the challenges and thrown out the rest.

I'd be willing to bet that those who were upheld were people who moved out of the state and had no intention of voting in Georgia, or who had died. Dead people don't vote, despite what the crazies on the right claim. This is simply an attempt to suppress the vote.

It's happening. Voters eligibility are being questioned in Georgia by other voters.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/severa...bility-challenges/WOUAH77TLRBD5A5HLLFSJV3S44/

When Barbara Helm tried to vote, she found out that her Georgia voter registration had been challenged by another voter and canceled last summer.
You can do that?!
Helm, who is homeless and sleeps in her car, lost her ability to vote after a local Republican voter used the state’s election laws to contest the registrations of over 31,000 Forsyth County voters this year. About 600 of his challenges were successful.
So, just had a list of 31,000 people on hand? This is terribly disturbing!

You can do that?!
So, just had a list of 31,000 people on hand? This is terribly disturbing!

For years, Georgia has allowed residents to contest the registrations of other voters within the county where they live, but attempts to do so have increased since 2020.

The state’s latest election law, passed along party lines last year by the Republican-controlled General Assembly in the wake of the presidential election, explicitly allowed voters to file an unlimited number of challenges.

I never knew about this law until the 2020 election. I don't think many, if any people ever challenged the registration of other voters prior to the denialists in 2020. It's insane. I'm going to assume that the law was passed in case someone personally knew a person who wasn't eligible to vote but was trying to vote. Now, it's just conservatives going nuts trying to take away the right to vote from other people who they believe are Democrats. Most of these challenges seem to be in Fulton country, the largest and most Democratic leaning county in the state. *sigh*

Hey, can't get elected with policies people don't like so cheating is okay.

Hey, can't get elected with policies people don't like so cheating is okay.
That's just it. The Republicans in Georgia, at least the ones who are somewhat intelligent, know that if everyone voted, the state would be blue. So, they do what they can to suppress the vote in the bluest areas. They also lie about the Democratic candidates like I've never seen. They have demonized Stacy Abrams in ways I've never seen before. She was on "The Daily Show" on Monday and she made a few jokes about it. Trevor Noah is in ATL all week. I think the show is trying to get more Georgia voters to vote. Monday night's show was fantastic, imo.

Of course, we can't just blame the ones who are trying to suppress the vote, as we still have a lot of apathetic people who won't vote. There was an article in today's AJC about the low turn out of Black males in Georgia. Stacey Abrams has been doing a lot of campaigning to get them to vote and help them understand why their vote matters. Younger voters are another problem when it comes to voter apathy. As a person who couldn't wait to start voting and who has voted in all federal elections since I was old enough to vote, and in all local elections as I grew older, it's hard to me to understand the attitude that my vote doesn't count or both parties are the same etc. I've heard it all.

Charges of election fraud are like farts. The political party that smelt it dealt it.
Republicans allege voter fraud. Trump et al attempted to commit election fraud.

A distinction without a difference, but many, if not most, cases of what you may be calling "voter fraud" in 2020 seem to have involved Trump voters, not Biden voters.

AJC published their final poll a few days ago.
Kemp leads Abrams 51%-44%, which means that both confidence intervals are not overlapping given the 3.1% moe.
It also means that unless Hazel overperforms the polls, Kemp is likely to win outright and avoid a runoff.
The Warnock-Walker picture is very different. Walker leads 46%-45%, so they are all over each other's confidence intervals. And unless Oliver underperforms, this race is heading toward a likely December runoff.
There is even a possibility that Republicans win 50 Senate seats on Tuesday, and Georgia again (like in 2018) decides over who controls the Senate.

There is even a possibility that Republicans win 50 Senate seats on Tuesday, and Georgia again (like in 2018) decides over who controls the Senate.

So you're voting for Herschel Walker. Got it.

Aren't you one of the Ilk who pretends that voter suppression isn't a thing? What do you say about #701 in this thread?

It's extremely unlikely that Stacey will beat Kemp. I don't think her campaign was run as effectively as it was in 2018, and of course, it's very difficult to beat an incumbent, assuming that person has half way decent approval ratings. Still, it ain't over till it's over. Unfortunately for the Dems, the Republicans seem to be more motivated to vote in this election.

It horrifies me to think that Walker may be our next Senator. I'm not a huge fan of Warnock but he seems like a decent man and he's worked across the aisle quite frequently. Sadly, the Republicans have done quite a job of demonizing both of these candidates, labeling them as far left, when nothing could be further from the truth. I've never seen such dishonest campaign ads as I've seen this year.

So you're voting for Herschel Walker. Got it.
I see you like writing fiction.

Aren't you one of the Ilk who pretends that voter suppression isn't a thing? What do you say about #701 in this thread?
I do not see how ability to challenge voters' registrations based on things like address affects only Democrats.
Besides, it is important to know where somebody lives to avoid them voting in two places.

it is important to know where somebody lives to avoid them voting in two places.
It isn't entirely unimportant, but it's really a non-issue. Attempts to vote more than once are vanishingly rare, and seem to be mainly carried out by tiny numbers of republicans voting by post on behalf of their deceased spouses.

A far bigger issue for American democracy is getting more people to vote once in an election, rather than preventing people from voting twice.

Casting two votes has very little impact on results anyway; Effective fraud requires hundreds or even thousands of ineligible ballots to be added to the count. This is far too hard to do without being caught, even in places with fairly weak precautions.

The only real impact voter fraud has is as a spurious excuse for voter suppression, which is far more effective as a mode of cheating than adding ballots. If you can prevent a hundred of your opponent's supporters from voting, that's as effective a fraud as is casting a hundred duplicate ballots.

And it is a fraud. It leads to the declaration if a winner who wasn't the choice of the people.

The only real impact voter fraud has is as a spurious excuse for voter suppression, which is far more effective as a mode of cheating than adding ballots.
QFT.
We can tell that truth until we’re blue in the face, and RW morons still believe in magic phantom fraud.

Derec, any reason that you think that Herschel Walker is not worth voting for?
He's an idiot.
dumbass-dumb.gif

I do not see how ability to challenge voters' registrations based on things like address affects only Democrats.
Besides, it is important to know where somebody lives to avoid them voting in two places.
Why are people challenging voter registration in the first place?! I suppose if I had a neighbor bragging about how they had two residences and voted twice with it, that'd be grounds for bringing this up with the county election board. But otherwise... blindly looking at old addresses of people?

The other issue is when this is directed just at Democrat areas. It is effectively intentionally, attempting to disenfranchise democrats. Poor people move a lot. White poor people, black poor people. So they have changing addresses. Probably several of them. Is it the job of the average citizen to scour these lists (particularly in poorer black areas) to free up the rolls? When I moved from one county of Ohio to another county, I never unregistered to vote in my previous location. Why should I? I have better uses of my time. I voted where I was legally allowed to vote, at my current residence.

Luckily, because I'm white, my older registration, which probably got negated a long time ago, wasn't ever scour over... because I didn't live in one of "those neighborhoods". If you don't find that troubling, I can't help you.

NBC has called the Nevada race for Masto. If that is the result, then Walker can win and control of the Senate would remain with Democrats. However, Warnock would be gravy, since the power-sharing arrangement with Republicans would no longer be necessary regarding composition of committees.

NBC has called the Nevada race for Masto. If that is the result, then Walker can win and control of the Senate would remain with Democrats. However, Warnock would be gravy, since the power-sharing arrangement with Republicans would no longer be necessary regarding composition of committees.

And with 51 Senators, one of the DINO's (Manchin or Sinema) could defect and the D's still have a majority.

Fivethirtyeight.,com still shows the House as 211-206. Supposing the 18 undecided races are coin-tosses, this gives the Ds a 12% chance of keeping the House. Don't give up!

Why are people challenging voter registration in the first place?! I suppose if I had a neighbor bragging about how they had two residences and voted twice with it, that'd be grounds for bringing this up with the county election board. But otherwise... blindly looking at old addresses of people?

The other issue is when this is directed just at Democrat areas. It is effectively intentionally, attempting to disenfranchise democrats. Poor people move a lot. White poor people, black poor people. So they have changing addresses. Probably several of them. Is it the job of the average citizen to scour these lists (particularly in poorer black areas) to free up the rolls? When I moved from one county of Ohio to another county, I never unregistered to vote in my previous location. Why should I? I have better uses of my time. I voted where I was legally allowed to vote, at my current residence.

Luckily, because I'm white, my older registration, which probably got negated a long time ago, wasn't ever scour over... because I didn't live in one of "those neighborhoods". If you don't find that troubling, I can't help you.

Yes. And this is just one of several types of voter suppression measure that do not affect D and R voters equally. Indeed the suppression measures are DELIBERATELY designed for GOP partisan advantage.

This is all so very VERY well known to those with information and an open mind, that comments like Derec's make one wonder: Is he really so ignorant, or just pretending to be?

Back
Top Bottom