• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

He almost makes MTG look smart, horribly offensive but half way intelligent compared to Walker.
Plus, she is better looking. :)
I saw an add earlier today where Kemp was supporting Walker. You could tell that his heart wasn't in it. It was so obvious. He didn't say anything positive about Walker. He just said something about how Walker could stop Biden. How low can they go! ( Don't answer that ) :p
That would be his only purpose. Force a 50-50 Senate instead of 51-49.
There is no expectation Walker would actually do any senatorial things in the Senate.

There were long lines in many of the counties that had early voting yesterday and much to my surprise about 15 counties, including the largest ones in metro Atlanta are having early voting today. I'm still pissed at my county for refusing to allow any weekend voting. It's not a problem for me, but it will be for younger voters who work during the week, especially since the polls are only open from 9 to 5 this week.

Cory Booker was in Georgia to campaign with Warnock. I really like Cory, although according to my Jersey sister, he's not as popular as he once was in Jersey.

Right now I'm watching some really good/funny Warnock campaign adds. It shows people rolling their eyes or looking shocked as they watch Walker ranting about some crazy things. We all know that Walker would rather be a werewolf than a vampire. It's funny but it's also a bit frightening to think that so many people will vote for this brain damaged, clueless man.

Since I still have a lot of "gifted" articles left from WaPo, I'm going to add one that gives a lot of details about how early voting for the run off is going in Georgia. Apparently, most people from both parties are glad to have the option to vote this weekend, including college students who were home for TG and people who work 12 hour shifts during the week. If anyone is interested in learning more details, click on the link below. I think it's only good for two weeks, but the election will be over by then. At least I hope so. :eek3:

https://wapo.st/3Uk80v6

There's some news about Walker's homestead exemption in Texas that might be a problem for him, but I'm not optimistic considering how 's running the state these days.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politi...s-texas-tax-break/JKZMAB3VGNFKRLH7CHC5M4TAPQ/

State investigators are being urged to probe whether Republican Senate hopeful Herschel Walker violated the law by receiving a tax break on his Texas home meant for primary residents of that state even as he runs for federal office in Georgia.

The complaint filed Sunday by Ann Gregory Roberts asked the Attorney General’s office and Georgia Bureau of Investigation to “promptly investigate this apparent violation of Georgia law” ahead of the Dec. 6 runoff against U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock.

Tax records show the former football player is set to receive a homestead exemption worth about $1,500 for a $3 million home in the suburbs of Dallas that Walker listed as his primary residence.

The U.S. Constitution has few restrictions on potential U.S. Senate candidates. It requires only that a senator be 30 years old, a U.S. citizen for nine years and an “inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen” when elected.

Georgia law includes more than a dozen stipulations to be considered when establishing residency, including where the candidate takes his or her homestead exemption.

The complaint by Roberts asks authorities to investigate whether Walker violated state law “by registering and voting in Georgia while knowingly maintaining his principal residence in Texas.”

Getting an exemption on a $3,000,000 home... worth $1,500?! Are we seriously complaining about that? His property tax is over $60,000. So $1,500 coupon... that is what, 2.5%?

You know what is really the news here... he actually paid his property taxes.

Getting an exemption on a $3,000,000 home... worth $1,500?! Are we seriously complaining about that? His property tax is over $60,000. So $1,500 coupon... that is what, 2.5%?

The issue is that he may have voted illegally in Georgia, due to the laws required for one to vote here. Receiving the exemption may make his unqualified to vote in Georgia. It has nothing to do with the size of the exemption. But, as I said earlier, I'm not expecting anything to come of this. Perhaps the state will ask him to pay back the exemption or something like that.

What's freaking me out this morning is that the lines for early voting are far longer than anything I've ever seen since we started having the option of early voting. The parking lot was so full that people were parked along the curbs of the lot. Our senior center is in the same lot as the early voting place. What worried me, is that my district is rather conservative and from what I've read, Walker's supporters are more motivated to vote compared to Warnock's. Of course, I'm probably over reacting since my district is small compared to the Atlanta area. I just didn't expect to see such a huge turnout. I'm going to try and vote tomorrow. Hopefully, the lines won't be as long. I don't know how anyone can vote for such a brain damaged man who has no idea what's going on.

The real news is how cheap he is.

The guy owns a $3M home, pays $60k in taxes on it, he's clearly not short of cash. And yet he's still prepared to risk his reputation for a measly $1.5k.

If he's that money-grubbing, what won't he do once in office for a frankly pathetic bribe?

If we're going to be stuck with politicians who sell out their principles, at least let us have some who set the price at a reasonable level.

No, the problem isn't the exemption, it's the nature of the exemption: A homestead exemption. In other words, where you live. However, Georgia doesn't require residence to be elected, only to serve.

The issue is that he may have voted illegally in Georgia, due to the laws required for one to vote here. Receiving the exemption may make his unqualified to vote in Georgia. It has nothing to do with the size of the exemption. But, as I said earlier, I'm not expecting anything to come of this. Perhaps the state will ask him to pay back the exemption or something like that.
Oh, he voted in Georgia? That should be a ticket to jail.

No, the problem isn't the exemption, it's the nature of the exemption: A homestead exemption. In other words, where you live. However, Georgia doesn't require residence to be elected, only to serve.
They do require residence to vote, though...

The guy owns a $3M home, pays $60k in taxes on it, he's clearly not short of cash. And yet he's still prepared to risk his reputation for a measly $1.5k.

If he's that money-grubbing, what won't he do once in office for a frankly pathetic bribe?

If we're going to be stuck with politicians who sell out their principles, at least let us have some who set the price at a reasonable level.
It's possible that when he bought the house, he was offered the homestead exemption without even realizing what it meant. He's really that stupid. He didn't even know that we were having early voting. Someone told me that he recently said that 20 and 30 year olds were too young to vote. Every time he opens his mouth, stupid comes out. I blame Trump, since he's the one who asked this brain damaged man to run. Walker is simply ignorant of just about everything when it comes to government. He had no business being a Senator. But, sadly, most Republicans will vote for any warm body who they think will vote with them. We have enough embarrassing politicians in Georgia. I don't know anyone personally who supports him, but there are Walker signs in front of at least a few upscale homes near me.

Like homestead has ever mattered in elections. I remember Cheney opening a PO Box in Wyoming to get around the Constitutional issue of two people from the same state on same ticket. Yes, this is a technicality, but I'm not losing sleep over this. His entire mental capacity is what bothers me. Not that he lives in another state.

What's freaking me out this morning is that the lines for early voting are far longer than anything I've ever seen since we started having the option of early voting. The parking lot was so full that people were parked along the curbs of the lot. Our senior center is in the same lot as the early voting place. What worried me, is that my district is rather conservative and from what I've read, Walker's supporters are more motivated to vote compared to Warnock's. Of course, I'm probably over reacting since my district is small compared to the Atlanta area. I just didn't expect to see such a huge turnout. I'm going to try and vote tomorrow. Hopefully, the lines won't be as long. I don't know how anyone can vote for such a brain damaged man who has no idea what's going on.
Wasn't aware there was a voting issue. Ultimately, if he is playing both sides... he'll write the full check for property tax in Texas... instead of go to jail in Georgia.

Election wise, I think it'll be a "landslide" or what is considered a landslide for Democrats in Georgia, 5 or 10 pts. Warnock is going to clean Walker's clock. Walker is terribly uninspiring. Makes Purdue look like Jimmy Carter.

It's possible that when he bought the house, he was offered the homestead exemption without even realizing what it meant. He's really that stupid. He didn't even know that we were having early voting. Someone told me that he recently said that 20 and 30 year olds were too young to vote. Every time he opens his mouth, stupid comes out. I blame Trump, since he's the one who asked this brain damaged man to run. Walker is simply ignorant of just about everything when it comes to government. He had no business being a Senator. But, sadly, most Republicans will vote for any warm body who they think will vote with them. We have enough embarrassing politicians in Georgia. I don't know anyone personally who supports him, but there are Walker signs in front of at least a few upscale homes near me.
I'm willing to bet Herschel Walker isn't involved with the money side of the equation and pays people to deal with these things.

We checked the lines twice and they are still very long. We might go back around 3 or 4 and deal with it. We might be better off waiting until next Tuesday to vote, but I'd like to get it over with. My regular voting site is the huge Methodist church on the corner of my street. It didn't look as if many people voted on Election Day in November and at least if there is a line, we can wait inside. Our early voting site line is all outside as the place is very small. I'm just ranting as this election has made me very anxious. My friends and I will be in mourning if the moron wins.

It pisses me off that they've shorted our early voting. We have been so used to having 3 full weeks to vote and now they've taken they away for run off elections.

I'm willing to bet Herschel Walker isn't involved with the money side of the equation and pays people to deal with these things.
That can't be. He runs businesses, hospitals, writes a lot of checks to people... :rolleyes:

And in his spare time I understand he raises vampires and werewolves.

I'd been seeing a couple things like that... decided to find out why this is a thing now.

*looks*

Odd. Reminds me of a write-up of Twilight Breaking Dawn Part whatever I did here, where Bella was whining that she wanted to be a werewolf now instead of a vampire. Ultimately, she was eaten by Jacob, who had eaten funny mushrooms as a wolf and mistook her for a large bag of Doritos due to some pangs of hunger.

Mr. Sohy did out patriotic duty and voted for Warnock, who is actually a pretty good Senator. I wish people didn't listen to all the lies the Repugs tell about him. Warnock uses a lot of rants right from the mouth of Walker in his ads. I don't know how people can vote for that man. I've never known of a less qualified Senator in my life. There were a lot of old white people voting, which isn't a good sign for Warnock. Walker leads among old White people by about 9%. We represent the smaller percentage of old white people who vote Democrat in my county, but hopefully, others will do the right thing and vote for Warnock.

We waited in line for an hour to vote, but at least it was a bright sunny day with mild temps. I'm glad we got it over with. We thanked the workers who did a great job of taking care of everyone. We also got into a conversation with a lovely Black woman who was in line in front of us. The three of us were about the only ones wearing masks. It's our secret code for letting others know that we are Democrats. :p

We waited in line for an hour to vote,

I really have a hard time accepting that these long waits aren't the plan to discourage people from voting. I've never waited more than 2 minutes to get my ballot. It takes me longer to fill out the ballot than it does to get it.

We waited in line for an hour to vote,

I really have a hard time accepting that these long waits aren't the plan to discourage people from voting. I've never waited more than 2 minutes to get my ballot. It takes me longer to fill out the ballot than it does to get it.
It's because of where you live. Georgia isn't like your state. States vary in the degree to which their governments encourage civil society. I've never experienced more than a five minute wait to vote. That means I can leave work, vote, and get back to work as planned. Maybe a good analogy for a state like Georgie is if you had to go to the Emergency Room. You're just not sure how long you are going to be there. It may be hours simply waiting. And it is definitely partly because someone is infringing on your right to vote.

Herschel Walker made incredibly dumb admission in speech

“Everyone asks me, why did I decide to run for a Senate seat? Because to be honest with you, this is never something I ever, ever, ever thought in my life I’d ever do,” said Walker. “And that’s the honest truth. As I was sitting in my home in Texas, I was sitting in my home in Texas, and I was seeing what was going on in this country. I was seeing what was going on in this country with how they were trying to divide people.”

CNN also noted that Walker did media appearances from his Texas home four times after announcing his candidacy for Georgia political office. They also reported that prior to his announcement that he would run for Senate in Georgia, all of his media appearances took place in Texas.

I think because Walker is an old Georgia Bulldog people don't question his residency.

Back
Top Bottom