• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

Well, taking this reality as a given, is it such a big surprise that if you show it to enough non-technical people (like an English teacher) in a non-tinkering setting (like an English class) someone will think it looks suspicious?

Still stuck on that, huh? Let's try this again: THE ENGLISH TEACHER ISN'T THE ONE WHO ARRESTED HIM!!!!

"stuck on it"? WTF does that mean?

It's a basic part of the story. The English teacher is the one who found it suspicious and this led to the calling of the police.

If the story aspires to be some great anti-islamophobic parable the English teacher must be the first biased islamophobe. The Pontius Pilate. The Judas.

And yet you just acknowledged it's not at all surprising a non-technical person would think the device would look suspicious. As did the engineering teacher. As did Saint Ahmed of MIT himself. As does most anyone who is not blindered to reality.

Still stuck on that, huh? Let's try this again: THE ENGLISH TEACHER ISN'T THE ONE WHO ARRESTED HIM!!!!
Who called the police to report the "bomb scare"? I doubt there was a cop in the classroom until they were called and I would suspect that the police are required to respond when a school calls them.

respond != arrest. There were screw-ups all the way up, as has been pointed out several hundred times in this thread.

Who called the police to report the "bomb scare"? I doubt there was a cop in the classroom until they were called and I would suspect that the police are required to respond when a school calls them.

respond != arrest. There were screw-ups all the way up, as has been pointed out several hundred times in this thread.
I certainly don't know what the book calls for the Irving police to do when they receive "bomb scare" call and I seriously doubt you do either. I would not be at all surprised that they are required to investigate and question the "suspect", possibly even be required to bring the "suspect" into the station to be questioned by the detectives.

any electronic tinkering that has a visible wire, no matter how simple or sophisticated, looks like a Hollywood bomb to our sadly uneducated society who get their information from television.

Well, taking this reality as a given, is it such a big surprise that if you show it to enough non-technical people (like an English teacher) in a non-tinkering setting (like an English class) someone will think it looks suspicious?
Really? Let's see do kids who possess a talent for drawing EVER show their math teachers their work?

Really? Let's see do kids who possess a talent for drawing EVER show their math teachers their work?
Well one kid that liked to doodle was expelled because he drew a pistol and a teacher saw it.

I can't imagine what that has to do with the point.

Artemus: The problem is uneducated people think everything with wires look like a bomb
diz: Well, this kid showed something with wires to an uneducated person
you: comment that has nothing to with uneducated people thinking things with wires look like a bomb

I certainly don't know what the book calls for the Irving police to do when they receive "bomb scare" call and I seriously doubt you do either. I would not be at all surprised that they are required to investigate and question the "suspect", possibly even be required to bring the "suspect" into the station to be questioned by the detectives.

You are honestly postulating that whenever a suspicious item is reported the police are lawfully bound to arrest the owner of the reported object and take them in for questioning, no matter what the circumstances? Really?

In any event, this is just another red herring. If anyone has a constructive response on to what I actually posted about, I'll be interested.

You are honestly postulating that whenever a suspicious item is reported the police are lawfully bound to arrest the owner of the reported object and take them in for questioning, no matter what the circumstances? Really?

In any event, this is just another red herring. If anyone has a constructive response on to what I actually posted about, I'll be interested.
Not "suspicious item". A "bomb scare". You don't seem to have a clue as to how absurd the zero tolerance policies are.

Not "suspicious item". A "bomb scare". You don't seem to have a clue as to how absurd the zero tolerance policies are.

It was not a bomb scare, as acknowledge by all authorities from the beginning. The cops actually stated their reason for the cuff and perp walk: "He did not elaborate on further possible uses" of the clock. If there is some statute that required the kid to be arrested, fine, show me. But until you do I'll accept the word of the police.

Now, any constructive comments on what I actually posted about?

It was not a bomb scare, as acknowledge by all authorities from the beginning. The cops actually stated their reason for the cuff and perp walk: "He did not elaborate on further possible uses" of the clock. If there is some statute that required the kid to be arrested, fine, show me. But until you do I'll accept the word of the police.

I posted 20 or 30 pages back about the handful of cases of kids bringing dummy grenades to school. Are you OK with the police being called out and kids getting suspended for a dummy grenade, even though knowledgeable people can tell it's a dummy grenade?

I posted 20 or 30 pages back about the handful of cases of kids bringing dummy grenades to school. Are you OK with the police being called out and kids getting suspended for a dummy grenade, even though knowledgeable people can tell it's a dummy grenade?

What does that have to do with my post?.

Is there some reason you need to dodge that particular question?

I'm not chasing anymore red herrings. Start a new thread if you want to discuss that case. Is there any reason you refuse to address my earlier comments that are actually related to this case?

I'm not chasing anymore red herrings. Start a new thread if you want to discuss that case.

It seems like it would have been less work just to answer the question.

But your extra effort to evade it is noted. Why should you have to articulate your principles with regard to similar incidents to flex your moral superiority on this incident, right?

Se here we are beating our conservative and liberal breasts about stupid people doing stupid things and getting something of value for that activity.

It was stupid to expect taking a clock out of its case an putting it into an attache case with no modifications would fool anybody. Except it did. So that's stupid squared.

Trying to cover one's stupidity with a fear rationale is even more stupid. Animals like the possum are known to be eaten doing so.

The point is we've, again, proven we are more stupid than we dare believe.

It has a power cord and it looks professionally assembled. Yet grown ups with sixteen or more years of education adults charged with teaching and protecting have no idea what they are looking at when they put on their fear glasses.

We are possums. Prepare appropriately. Add salt and pepper so you'll taste better.

POTUS, University, Educator, Administrator. Safety, Local Government, Press, all imbibe the KoolAide of fear amplified by instantaneous communication of stupid things. Thanks RavenSky http://talkfreethought.org/showthre...m-is-a-thing-)&p=203987&viewfull=1#post203987.

Kid should get dunce cap along with those who promote him. Those who fear him should be sent to bed without dinner. Those who broadcast the event should be docked pay or fired.

Lot of libertarians here that do seem to love the cock of authory rammed inside other people.

The clock looked like a clock. Everybody knew it was clock. Clocks are not banned from school. Grenades do not look like anything but grenades. A dummy grenade and real grenade look like grenades and they look like that to everybody until examined by ammo experts. Grenades are banned from school. Your comparison is not a good one.

Now can we not discuss imagined grenades in hypothetical situations that didn't happen in Irving TX to Ahmed Mohamod and get back to things that actually did happen?

Back
Top Bottom