• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

Ah, ok. No, I didn't see that thread. lol

So reference to that one might be relevant to others who posted in it and are posting here, but to me, it means nothing in regard to this thread. *shrug*
Details of pop-tart-gate were mentioned in this thread too. If you are not willing to follow discussion to any meaningful degree then just leave.

...said the man who is accusing others of being passive-aggressive. :rolleyes:

Details of pop-tart-gate were mentioned in this thread too. If you are not willing to follow discussion to any meaningful degree then just leave.

Bingo! you passed the test, you do in fact know what "passive-agressive" is!
Now, small addition, I am not shy to be passive-agressive to people who started it first, call it what you want.

Why would you do this and take it so school to show off? Fucking why? The kid's either an idiot or the reincarnation of PT Barnum.

or he wanted to show it to his teacher... exactly as he said.

But given all the possible projects he could've worked or possible other clock cases he could've used to "show off" at school, why pick the one that makes it look like a Hollywood prop bomb and even plug it in during the middle of class when he should be paying attention to the lesson?

When I originally heard about the story, I thought he had made a cut out in the case so that the display would pop through it and be seen and the clock could be used when the case was closed and locked. That would actually be kind of cool and artsy, like a case mod. Instead, we have a Hollywood bomb replica that as Trausti's video shows only takes about a minute to make (we'll give him 5 minutes, since he is 14 after all).

Now, I'm not saying there is no legitimate purpose in doing what he did. It can be a good learning experience to explore the components of a clock to learn why it was built that way and whether the construction can be improved upon. However, the choice of case and the way he put it in the case is, at the very least, suspect.

From the schools perspective, they wanted to try to determine if he had any intent to try to alarm people. The police did not find enough convincing evidence of his intent to charge him with anything, but the school still thought it was suspicious enough to warrant suspension. Given zero tolorence attitudes in schools (which are overboard), the suspension can be easily explained by that rather than him being a Muslim.

We have not heard the full story from the police, but putting him in handcuffs, based on everything we know, is overboard. Not allowing him a lawyer or parent present during question doesn't make sense either. However, what happened to him seems quite petty in comparison to other problems out there and other people who really are brutally victimized.

Show what? He didn't invent anything. He didn't do anything creative at all. I can't help but get the impression that he's a bit dim. It takes 20 seconds to make his "clock." What's to be proud of? On the hand, maybe he knew that a legion of suckers would rally to his sham. In that case, bravo.

Yes, you can belittle a 14-year-old boy if it makes you feel like a big man, but your puerile words don't refute the fact that he stated his "purpose"

Ah, ok. No, I didn't see that thread. lol

So reference to that one might be relevant to others who posted in it and are posting here, but to me, it means nothing in regard to this thread. *shrug*

Oh for fuck's sake, sit down. :laughing-smiley-014

Show what? He didn't invent anything. He didn't do anything creative at all. I can't help but get the impression that he's a bit dim. It takes 20 seconds to make his "clock." What's to be proud of? On the hand, maybe he knew that a legion of suckers would rally to his sham. In that case, bravo.

Show that he can properly install electronics into a non-standard housing so that the thing still works, which is not as easy as it sounds, as I'm sure anyone who has had to jury rig electronics can tell you.

BTW, belittling the kid's accomplishment isn't helping to justify the actions of the Principal and the police. If it really was such a trivial 20-second job, then the over-reaction of the authorities is even more absurd.

It seems rather odd that you would be testing me, given that I have not been participating in this thread for a considerable time now.

A cynic would question whether you were testing anyone at all, or whether this is merely a defensive posture intended to avoid admission that you were engaged in hypocrisy.
Now, small addition, I am not shy to be passive-agressive
I noticed.

Me either.

;)

Yes, you can belittle a 14-year-old boy if it makes you feel like a big man, but your puerile words don't refute the fact that he stated his "purpose"
I am glad you agree that kid did make anything worth a shit science/engineering wise, but at the same time he should not be belittled about it.
I mostly agree with that too, at the same time this kid would have to "thank" pro-ahmed crowd for future shitload of belittling and harassment.

It seems rather odd that you would be testing me, given that I have not been participating in this thread for a considerable time now.
Test was for everybody, you took it first yourself.
A cynic would question whether you were testing anyone at all, or whether this is merely a defensive posture intended to avoid admission that you were engaged in hypocrisy.
hypocrisy?
I never claimed to be a perfect man, I merely claimed that I was a fair man, which means if you passive-agressive me I will passive-agressive the hell out of you and that would be fair.

Now, small addition, I am not shy to be passive-agressive
I noticed.

Me either.

;)
Then we are good, don't passive-agressive me.

He's not being passive-aggressive, just aggressive.
Yes, I would say that fits better.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh for fuck's sake, sit down. :laughing-smiley-014
No, you sit down!:)

If it's a rational discussion that you want, act like it. Attacking people is not a part of that.
Again, I was not the one who started attacking people

Saying an argument is a strawman is not attacking the person. You and only you are the one who started attacking people.

You are being passive-agressive, most of pro-ahmed people are.
For example, when I made perfectly fine post/point but made a "mistake" of using word "shy" instead of originally used "nervous", person noted it and then (that's important) simply ignored content of my post. That's passive-agressive, because the intent was to waste my time time on irrelevant and stupid altercation hoping to make me mad.

You now admit you made a mistake substituting the words. The word substitution changed the entire context of your post. When called on it, instead of apologizing and restating your argument, you get all butthurt and start making personal attacks.

I find your responses quite ironic considering your arguments about Ahmed's responses to the police and yours here.

But given all the possible projects he could've worked or possible other clock cases he could've used to "show off" at school, why pick the one that makes it look like a Hollywood prop bomb

He didn't pick one that looks like a Hollywood prop bomb. As the experiences at our university shows, any electronic tinkering that has a visible wire, no matter how simple or sophisticated, looks like a Hollywood bomb to our sadly uneducated society who get their information from television. He would have got the same reaction no matter what he had done. To anyone with any training whatsoever in electronics, the claim "it looks like a bomb" is so laughably stupid that under normal circumstances the people making the claim that would be the ones receiving the ridicule, not the 14 year old kid who put it together.

Why did he do it? I'll tell you why. 14 year olds who want to be electrical engineers someday take shit apart, just because you can. I did and all of my nerd friends did. At at that age, if it still works after you took it apart you think you are hot shit. If you put it in a new case and it still works you know you are hot shit and you brag about it your peers and teachers. No more explanation is needed. People claiming that there must be something more going because they have absolutely no fucking idea what is going on and belittling the kid's ability and intellect because of it is truly pathetic, and rather sickening.

Last edited:
any electronic tinkering that has a visible wire, no matter how simple or sophisticated, looks like a Hollywood bomb to our sadly uneducated society who get their information from television.

Well, taking this reality as a given, is it such a big surprise that if you show it to enough non-technical people (like an English teacher) in a non-tinkering setting (like an English class) someone will think it looks suspicious?

any electronic tinkering that has a visible wire, no matter how simple or sophisticated, looks like a Hollywood bomb to our sadly uneducated society who get their information from television.

Well, taking this reality as a given, is it such a big surprise that if you show it to enough non-technical people (like an English teacher) in a non-tinkering setting (like an English class) someone will think it looks suspicious?

Still stuck on that, huh? Let's try this again: THE ENGLISH TEACHER ISN'T THE ONE WHO ARRESTED HIM!!!!

Still stuck on that, huh? Let's try this again: THE ENGLISH TEACHER ISN'T THE ONE WHO ARRESTED HIM!!!!
Who called the police to report the "bomb scare"? I doubt there was a cop in the classroom until they were called and I would suspect that the police are required to respond when a school calls them.

Back
Top Bottom