• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

There was no play dough.

It's not like the pop tart gun kid had jelly bean bullets either.

And if you're an English teacher you probably don't know a fake bomb needs play doh to fake explode.

If the teacher was fooled by the device, why didnt s/he pull the fire alarm and clear the school?

And if you're an English teacher you probably don't know a fake bomb needs play doh to fake explode.

If the teacher was fooled by the device, why didnt s/he pull the fire alarm and clear the school?
You will have to ask the teacher that question. I don't know why she felt it necessary to call the police either. I can only read the minds of people I know.

But a question to you, why do you apparently accept that an innocuous block of play dough in that case would scare the shit out of bomb experts until they examined it very carefully? After all, it would only have been an innocent clock and play dough. Could it be that the "clock in a box" looked very much Hollywood's version of a time bomb?

You will have to ask the teacher that question. I don't know why she felt it necessary to call the police either.
Did she call or the office?
I can only read the minds of people I know.
But a question to you, why do you apparently accept that an innocuous block of play dough in that case would scare the shit out of bomb experts until they examined it very carefully?
Play dough by itself looks like play dough. A clock by itself, looks like a clock. together they could look like an explosive. Ahmed had a clock. Period.
After all, it was only an innocent clock and play dough. Could it be that the "clock in a box" looked very much Hollywood's version of a time bomb?
A hollywood bomb would have had the play dough.

You will have to ask the teacher that question. I don't know why she felt it necessary to call the police either.
Another question you will have to ask her. I don't know if she freaked out and called the police, she called the office with a little concern and ZT policy required the office to report a 'bomb threat" to the police, etc. But apparently she was the first to raise concerns.
But a question to you, why do you apparently accept that an innocuous block of play dough in that case would scare the shit out of bomb experts until they examined it very carefully?
Play dough by itself looks like play dough. A clock by itself, looks like a clock. together they could look like an explosive. Ahmed had a clock. Period.
After all, it was only an innocent clock and play dough. Could it be that the "clock in a box" looked very much Hollywood's version of a time bomb?
Not quite. A clock in its original case looks like a clock. A collection of circuit boards, components and wiring can look like pretty much whatever someone wants it to look like. I doubt anyone would have batted an eye if Ahmed had just put the clock, without taking it apart, in his box even if he had included a block of play dough.

If the student gave no explanation beyond "it's a clock" and refused to answer questions why he made it, then there is reason to keep digging. What if it was a hoax intended for someone else? What if this was a part of a home made bomb sans explosives? What if the kid was trying to make a real bomb and for whatever stupid reason was just showing it around? If he doesn't answer any questons, what are the cops supposed to do?

Generally speaking you should have a reasonable suspicion about something.
Yes, that's the crux of the issue really. Was the suspicion reasonable? What is "reasonable"? A kid who brings a device to school that looks like a bomb timer, and doesn't say why he did it, isn't that at least a little bit of suspicious to you? That's not to defend the police not calling the parents, nor the subsequent arrest or the suspension, but it does explain why the English teacher may have been uncomfortable and why the cops were involved.

Apparently it is impossible for some people to get in their heads that something having mild resemblance to a bomb is not the same as being a bomb, or a perfect replica of a bomb. Tell me, when you see this picture:

pencil-time-bomb-24546169.jpg

A) Do you think it is a bomb?
B) Do you think it was intended to look like a bomb?

If your answer to first question is "no", but to second question "yes", then you've answered your own question.

Another question you will have to ask her. I don't know if she freaked out and called the police, she called the office with a little concern and ZT policy required the office to report a 'bomb threat" to the police, etc. But apparently she was the first to raise concerns.
Not quite.
If not play dough, sticks that looked dynamite or some other explosive. The reason being, someone looking at a clock by itself would see just a clock. That would be a boring movie. Just clocks telling time.
A clock in its original case looks like a clock. A collection of circuit boards, components and wiring can look like pretty much whatever someone wants it to look like.
The teacher wanted it to look like a bomb?
I doubt anyone would have batted an eye if Ahmed had just put the clock, without taking it apart, in his box even if he had included a block of play dough.

Confiscating the device isn't the problem. Sending the boy to the office isn't the problem.

the problem is that the adults involved in this seem to want to have it both ways. First it is a bomb, but then no one acts like they are dealing with a bomb. Then it is a hoax (a deliberately fabricated falsehood made to masquerade as truth) bomb, only the boy never said the clock was anything but a clock. He told no falsehood. (I love this part because the answer is "Well, of course once he was caught he was going to say it was a clock." So telling the truth, which he did from the first time he showed the device and throughout this ordeal, makes him guilty of fabricating a falsehood.)

The boy is then arrested after the device is known not to be a bomb and the boy has told the truth the whole time.

k1ti0n.jpg

The boy is then arrested after the device is known not to be a bomb and the boy has told the truth the whole time.

One more time: it is illegal in Texas to make a hoax bomb. You can get arrested for a hoax bomb. That the hoax bomb is not a real bomb does not relieve you from criminal culpability.

Remember when . . .

Berdovsky and Stevens, the individuals hired by Interference to install the signs, were arrested by Boston police during the evening of January 31, and charged with violating Chapter 266: Section 102A½ of the General Laws of Massachusetts, which states that it is illegal to display a "hoax device" with the motive to cause citizens to feel threatened, unsafe, and concerned.[14][24] Both were held at the State Police South Boston barracks overnight and were released on $2,500 bail from the Charlestown District Court the following morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_Mooninite_panic

Remember when . . .

Berdovsky and Stevens, the individuals hired by Interference to install the signs, were arrested by Boston police during the evening of January 31, and charged with violating Chapter 266: Section 102A½ of the General Laws of Massachusetts, which states that it is illegal to display a "hoax device" with the motive to cause citizens to feel threatened, unsafe, and concerned.[14][24] Both were held at the State Police South Boston barracks overnight and were released on $2,500 bail from the Charlestown District Court the following morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_Mooninite_panic

You keep holding up examples of authoritarian stupidity in the past to excuse the authoritarian stupidity of the present. Do you realize that it is ALL stupid?

Edit:
Here's an amusing quote from your link:
The NYPD did not receive any complaints about the devices, according to police spokesman Paul Brown.[50] At 9:30 p.m. on the evening of January 31, the Chicago Police Department received a list of installation locations from Interference, Inc.[51] Police recovered and disposed of 20 of the 35 devices. Police Superintendent Philip Cline admonished those responsible for the campaign, stating, "one of the devices could have easily been mistaken for a bomb and set off enough panic to alarm the entire city.
The NYPD went into panic mode after NOBODY complained about the electronic advertisements and then got all pissy about their overreaction because maybe somebody COULD HAVE thought it was a bomb but apparently NOBODY did. LOL.

One more time: it is illegal in Texas to make a hoax bomb.
How is it a hoax bomb? How did he perpetrate a hoax?

Texas law stipulates that a person who commits a hoax bomb offense is one who "knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use" it or intentionally causes alarm or reaction. http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/

At what point did he "knowingly manufacture, sell, purchase, transport, or possess a hoax bomb with intent to use' it or intentionally causes alarm or reaction'"?

You can get arrested for a hoax bomb. That the hoax bomb is not a real bomb does not relieve you from criminal culpability.
When did he perpetrate a hoax? What actions did he take to prepetrate a hoax?

Not quite.
If not play dough, sticks that looked dynamite or some other explosive. The reason being, someone looking at a clock by itself would see just a clock. That would be a boring movie. Just clocks telling time.
A clock in its original case looks like a clock. A collection of circuit boards, components and wiring can look like pretty much whatever someone wants it to look like.
Again with the questions that you need to ask the teacher. I don't have a clue why the teacher became concerned. Maybe she had just seen a movie where the hero heroically disarmed a time bomb just in the nick of time that looked very much like Ahmed's creation.
I doubt anyone would have batted an eye if Ahmed had just put the clock, without taking it apart, in his box even if he had included a block of play dough.

Confiscating the device isn't the problem. Sending the boy to the office isn't the problem.

the problem is that the adults involved in this seem to want to have it both ways. First it is a bomb, but then no one acts like they are dealing with a bomb. Then it is a hoax (a deliberately fabricated falsehood made to masquerade as truth) bomb, only the boy never said the clock was anything but a clock. He told no falsehood. (I love this part because the answer is "Well, of course once he was caught he was going to say it was a clock." So telling the truth, which he did from the first time he showed the device and throughout this ordeal, makes him guilty of fabricating a falsehood.)

You read the reports quite differently than I did. In fact, much of the above seems to be fabrication to make a better (or at least more convoluted) defense of your preconceived ideas.

One more time: it is illegal in Texas to make a hoax bomb. You can get arrested for a hoax bomb. That the hoax bomb is not a real bomb does not relieve you from criminal culpability.

One more time: there was no hoax, there was no bomb, and there was no hoax bomb.

Ahmed Mohamed put a clock into a different case. It was not dangerous. It was not a weapon. It was not used to scare, threaten, intimidate, or otherwise install anxiety in anyone. It was not used to perpetrate a hoax. The whole "hoax bomb" claim is being peddled by people who want to justify the kid's arrest, but can't come up with an actual it-really-happened reason.

You might not be impressed by Ahmed's handiwork, but that's irrelevant. He properly installed electronic components in a non-standard case, and had a functioning device as a result. He took his first successful steps on the path to case modding, and he wanted to show his teacher and his friends. That might violate school policy regarding bringing electronic devices into classrooms, but it's not a crime, and it shouldn't be treated as one.

Not quite.
Again with the questions that you need to ask the teacher. I don't have a clue why the teacher became concerned. Maybe she had just seen a movie where the hero heroically disarmed a time bomb just in the nick of time that looked very much like Ahmed's creation.

You read the reports quite differently than I did. In fact, much of the above seems to be fabrication to make a better (or at least more convoluted) defense of your preconceived ideas.

What did I fabricate?

One more time: it is illegal in Texas to make a hoax bomb.

Texas law stipulates that a person who commits a hoax bomb offense is one who "knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use" it or intentionally causes alarm or reaction. http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/

At what point did he "knowingly manufacture, sell, purchase, transport, or possess a hoax bomb with intent to use' it or intentionally causes alarm or reaction'"?

You can get arrested for a hoax bomb. That the hoax bomb is not a real bomb does not relieve you from criminal culpability.

You're saying people are always 100% honest when questioned by police? Pass the Kool-Aid, will ya?

One more time: there was no hoax, there was no bomb, and there was no hoax bomb.

Ahmed Mohamed put a clock into a different case. It was not dangerous. It was not a weapon. It was not used to scare, threaten, intimidate, or otherwise install anxiety in anyone. It was not used to perpetrate a hoax. The whole "hoax bomb" claim is being peddled by people who want to justify the kid's arrest, but can't come up with an actual it-really-happened reason.

You might not be impressed by Ahmed's handiwork, but that's irrelevant. He properly installed electronic components in a non-standard case, and had a functioning device as a result. He took his first successful steps on the path to case modding, and he wanted to show his teacher and his friends. That might violate school policy regarding bringing electronic devices into classrooms, but it's not a crime, and it shouldn't be treated as one.

It's not about justifying arrest, it's about acknowledging that the authorities reacted reasonably. Which they did.

I apologize, has this been posted in this lengthy thread already?

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGit-XltUB4[/YOUTUBE]

You're saying people are always 100% honest when questioned by police? Pass the Kool-Aid, will ya?

What someone says to the police has nothing to do with it. A hoax requires that an attempt is made to deceive someone. If they deceive themselves, than that's not a hoax. Unless you can show that there was an intent to make others think that the clock was a bomb, there is no hoax. If people think that all on their own, then that's their stupid fault.

At no time did the alleged perpetrator of the 'hoax' attempt to persuade, convince, influence or suggest any person into thinking that he had a bomb. In the absence of such an attempt, the allegation of a hoax is unfounded, even if people conclude that he has a bomb all on their own, with no prompting from the supposed hoaxer.

You're saying people are always 100% honest when questioned by police?
THE POLICE have said that the boy told the truth the whole time.

“The follow-up investigation revealed the device apparently was a homemade experiment, and there’s no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm,” Boyd said, describing the incident as a “naive accident.”

[From the Original Story]

So the 14-year-old missed the student council meeting and took a trip in handcuffs to juvenile detention. His clock now sits in an evidence room. Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...ted-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

Show where the police said the boy lied? Show where the school said the boy lied?
Pass the Kool-Aid, will ya?
I'm not thirsty, but when you finish yours, feel free to drink my share.

He didn't, at least there is not evidence to believe so. The police didn't think so either, which is why they didn't charge him. Doesn't mean the police and school questioning him, just in case, is Islamophobia. The school/police were trying to ascertain if he DID knowingly manufacture a "hoax bomb" and have such intent.

Back
Top Bottom