• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

If it's a rational discussion that you want, act like it. Attacking people is not a part of that.
Again, I was not the one who started attacking people

Does that matter? You implied that you wanted a rational discussion. Personal attacks, regardless of who started them, are not going to be conductive towards a rational discussion.

In a world where a kid gets a 2 day suspension for eating a pop tart into a gun shape?
I don't know the details of that case, but it sounds like it's just as ludicrous as this case. What's your point?
I suspect his point is that pop tart kid was white (or not muslim) and did not get to visit White House :)
And it's a valid point.

In a world where a kid gets a 2 day suspension for eating a pop tart into a gun shape?
I don't know the details of that case, but it sounds like it's just as ludicrous as this case. What's your point?

You missed the 50 page thread-o-outrage we had about it?

Search for "Apparently eating toaster pastries while White is now a thing".

The interrogation doesn't seem like it was an overkill, it depends on Ahmed's behaviour, and right now it seems that he wasn't forthcoming with the purpose of the device, so the jury is still out on that one.

Not "forthcoming with the purpose of the device"? WFT other "purpose" does anyone expect him to state? It was a CLOCK

The interrogation doesn't seem like it was an overkill, it depends on Ahmed's behaviour, and right now it seems that he wasn't forthcoming with the purpose of the device, so the jury is still out on that one.

Not "forthcoming with the purpose of the device"? WFT other "purpose" does anyone expect him to state? It was a CLOCK
That seems to be the kind of passive-aggressive answer that the police were complaining about. Yes it is a clock. That doesn't answer a question of the purpose of taking the components of a perfectly working clock out of their nice compact original case and mounting them in a box in a way that it resembles Hollywood's version of a time bomb, all the components and wiring showing.

Last edited:
That seems to be the kind of passive-aggressive answer that the police were complaining about. Yes it is a clock. That doesn't answer a question of the purpose of taking the components of a perfectly working clock out of their case and mounting them in a box in a way that it resembles Hollywood's version of a time bomb, all the components and wiring showing.

"I built a clock to impress my teacher"

That's what he said. Why isn't that "purpose" enough?

TEX PE. CODE ANN. § 46.08 : Texas Statutes - Section 46.08: HOAX BOMBS

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:
(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or
(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
- See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/10/46/46.08#sthash.yKrRoIBL.dpuf

That seems to be the kind of passive-aggressive answer that the police were complaining about. Yes it is a clock. That doesn't answer a question of the purpose of taking the components of a perfectly working clock out of their case and mounting them in a box in a way that it resembles Hollywood's version of a time bomb, all the components and wiring showing.

Apparently not for a number of people.

It is suspicious to have a stranger sit next to you or walk up to you where you are standing, open a case and start talking to you about bombs.
Several of the people get jumpy before he says anything about bombs.

Several people may have gotten jumpy just because they didn't like the look of him.

I mean c'mon. This was hardly a classic experiment and it proves nothing.

In the USA, no one is required to answer questions from the police. As you even admitted, arresting him was a mistake. Confiscating the material or calling his parents was in order. But it cannot be a hoax without intent. No intent was ever established. And, in fact, it was easily confirmed that it was a science project.
It wasn't a science project. It was totally unsolicited. If he clamped up about it, instead of saying "just ask my parents, I spent whole weekend on this" or someting that should've cleared it up, but why didn't he say so? The cops should have called the parents anyway though and on that I agree with you.

There is a difference between refusing to explain something and not being able to explain it to the satisfaction of a police officer. Someone claimed Ahmed displayed passive-aggressive behavior, but they didn't give any examples of it. I wonder if the conversation went something like this:

"Why did you build this thing?"

"Because I wanted to."

"What were you going to do with it?"

"Nothing."

.... and this is what is being presented as evidence Ahmed wasn't cooperative.

If I have a bucked full of feces, it could be part of a prank, even if my teacher were to confiscate it before I can set it up over the door to the principal's office.
Anything could be part of prank, but students are not routinely hassled by schools or the police just because they might possibly be planning a prank.
And why the hell would someone bring a bucket full of feces to school? Hypothetically speaking of course. It could be part of some bizarre art project, but I seriously doubt anyone would believe that.

Your analogy is flawed. The bucket should be empty, just as the pencil case contained no explosives. Also, the bucket should be made out of something else, like a chimney cap or a flour sack. So, if a student brings a homemade bucket to school, can we justify reacting as though it was full of feces and assume the kid was up to no good?

Exactly!

The purpose of a clock is to tell time. The purpose of putting clock parts into a pencil case is to have a clock inside a pencil case. What more is there to say?

I think the cops wanted to extract a confession that he intended to use the gadget in a bomb hoax, but Ahmed kept saying all he wanted to do was put together a digital clock in a case. Why? Because.

He's a 14 year old. For kids that age, "because" is reason enough for doing anything.

Last edited:

Why would you do this and take it so school to show off? Fucking why? The kid's either an idiot or the reincarnation of PT Barnum.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=20&v=kHk_6Vh4Qeo[/YOUTUBE]

Why would you do this and take it so school to show off? Fucking why? The kid's either an idiot or the reincarnation of PT Barnum.

or he wanted to show it to his teacher... exactly as he said.

Ah, ok. No, I didn't see that thread. lol

So reference to that one might be relevant to others who posted in it and are posting here, but to me, it means nothing in regard to this thread. *shrug*

You are being passive-agressive, most of pro-ahmed people are.
For example, when I made perfectly fine post/point but made a "mistake" of using word "shy" instead of originally used "nervous", person noted it and then (that's important) simply ignored content of my post. That's passive-agressive, because the intent was to waste my time time on irrelevant and stupid altercation hoping to make me mad.

Last edited:

Ah, ok. No, I didn't see that thread. lol

So reference to that one might be relevant to others who posted in it and are posting here, but to me, it means nothing in regard to this thread. *shrug*
Details of pop-tart-gate were mentioned in this thread too. If you are not willing to follow discussion to any meaningful degree then just leave.

or he wanted to show it to his teacher... exactly as he said.

Show what? He didn't invent anything. He didn't do anything creative at all. I can't help but get the impression that he's a bit dim. It takes 20 seconds to make his "clock." What's to be proud of? On the hand, maybe he knew that a legion of suckers would rally to his sham. In that case, bravo.

Back
Top Bottom