• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

You're right, it's a bit strong to have a go at the kid. But I still say he's a bit soft in the head.

It makes no difference if he's a "window licker" or the next Thomas Edison. His intelligence, personality, academic achievements, and engineering skills aren't the issue. The issue is how the school administration and the cops reacted to him when he brought his little case modded clock to school to show to his teacher.

Well for some maybe but I'm beyond that. The issue is the circus now going on about this kid and his "inventions" and tv appearances like he's discovered a cure for cancer.

Well, if you want to talk about media circuses, and how a minor incident becomes a battlefield in the culture wars, that's cool. It's an interesting topic and well suited to the Politics forum. But please stop calling the kid retarded just because you aren't impressed with his accomplishments and you want to counter what you think is excessive praise. He's 14 years old ffs, and still in middle school. So what if his clock looks like a kid built it?

You're right, it's a bit strong to have a go at the kid. But I still say he's a bit soft in the head.

Well for some maybe but I'm beyond that. The issue is the circus now going on about this kid and his "inventions" and tv appearances like he's discovered a cure for cancer.

Well, if you want to talk about media circuses, and how a minor incident becomes a battlefield in the culture wars, that's cool. It's an interesting topic and well suited to the Politics forum. But please stop calling the kid retarded just because you aren't impressed with his accomplishments and you want to counter what you think is excessive praise. He's 14 years old ffs, and still in middle school. So what if his clock looks like a kid built it?

He didn't build it, he took it out of a 1970s table clock casing and claimed he built it. It was a hoax device, that he knew could look threatening (he said so).

Do I think that this was all set-up? It could be. Obviously, the kid never invented anything, and simply gutted a clock. Does that mean his intentions were for it to appear as bomb, and cause a panic? It's hard to tell.

That said, it really doesn't matter. I don't care about 'Islamophobia' to be all that honest. What I care about is 'Electronophobia'. This fear of all electronics that one is unable to identify is out of control. A circuit board with a ribbon cable is not a bomb, nor is anything with some wires sticking out. It should not have taken all day to identify what this device was, and then continue to hold the boy in custody simply because the school looked foolish.

He didn't build it, he took it out of a 1970s table clock casing and claimed he built it. It was a hoax device, that he knew could look threatening (he said so).
Assuming that's true... bravo. It's says a lot about this country that people think the 24 series is at all real to life. For all the technology, weapons, and bravado about freedoms, we sure do look like a bunch of pussies when a kid brings what would be the innards of any electronic device to scare some people.

Good job ISIS!

The problem I have is that Ahmed is a "special" Olympic athlete being passed off as if he's Usain Bolt.

Do I think that this was all set-up? It could be. Obviously, the kid never invented anything, and simply gutted a clock. Does that mean his intentions were for it to appear as bomb, and cause a panic? It's hard to tell.

That said, it really doesn't matter. I don't care about 'Islamophobia' to be all that honest. What I care about is 'Electronophobia'. This fear of all electronics that one is unable to identify is out of control. A circuit board with a ribbon cable is not a bomb, nor is anything with some wires sticking out. It should not have taken all day to identify what this device was, and then continue to hold the boy in custody simply because the school looked foolish.

1) He knew it looked suspicious, like a bomb. That is why, he claims, he put a cable round the case (don't ask me why he thought that would matter).
2) His father (a kook in his own right) pressed him to take it to school.
2) He was told by his engineering teacher not to show it to others because it looked threatening.
3) He took it to English class, and the alarm he set went off. Frightening the class and teacher. And as Ahmed and his science teacher already knew it would, the device looked threatening and the authorities were called.
4) He was handcuffed, detained, and initially charged with creating a bomb hoax.

For his gutting a clock, creating a hoax, while believing the false story of "Islamophobia" Microsoft rushed to send him a computer, Twitter offered him a job, Zuckerberg lavishes praise and invites him to visit, Hillary praised him, someone setup a scholarship fund, and Obama jumped in to heap praise and offered the 'genius' kid Muslim a visit to the whitehouse.

Is the culture left just shameless or too stupid?

The problem I have is that Ahmed is a "special" Olympic athlete being passed off as if he's Usain Bolt.

Yup. He came to the Google Science Fair the other day, just a couple of miles from my house:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/09/21/ahmed-mohamed-google-science-fair-clock/72594140/

Here's our spunky little hero who took apart a Radio Shack clock surrounded by some unknown, young people who are not really worth mentioning*:

635784615186773629-20150921-Google-Science-Fair-1228.jpg

* But in case you're curious, here's what they did:

Taking home the $50,000 grand prize was Olivia Hallisey, 16, from Connecticut. Moved by the lives lost in Africa to the Ebola outbreak in 2014, she devised a rapid, portable and inexpensive diagnostic test for the detection of the virus. Hallisey says she was inspired to become a scientist by her late grandfather, a doctor and medical researcher and one day hopes to work for a global health organization such as Doctors Without Borders.

Also receiving awards were Girish Kumar, 17 of Singapore, who came up with a way to automatically generate review questions for students from online textbooks; Krtin Nithiyanandam, 14 of Surrey, England, who designed a diagnostic tool to detect Alzheimer's at earlier stages in the disease; Pranav Sivakumar, 15 of Aurora, Illinois who invented an automated method for finding and characterizing gravitationally lensed quasars; Anurudh Ganesan, 15 of Clarksburg, Md., who designed a more reliable way to transport vaccines to remote locations in developing countries; Deepika Kurup, 17 of Nashua, NH, devised a filtration system to remove toxins from drinking water; Lalita Prasida Sripada Srisai, 13 from India, came up with an inexpensive way to clean waste water by flowing it through corn cobs; and Eliott Sarrey,14 from Maron, France, who built a robot that when controlled by a smartphone can tend vegetable gardens.

Taking home the $50,000 grand prize was Olivia Hallisey, 16, from Connecticut. Moved by the lives lost in Africa to the Ebola outbreak in 2014, she devised a rapid, portable and inexpensive diagnostic test for the detection of the virus. Hallisey says she was inspired to become a scientist by her late grandfather, a doctor and medical researcher and one day hopes to work for a global health organization such as Doctors Without Borders.

Also receiving awards were Girish Kumar, 17 of Singapore, who came up with a way to automatically generate review questions for students from online textbooks; Krtin Nithiyanandam, 14 of Surrey, England, who designed a diagnostic tool to detect Alzheimer's at earlier stages in the disease; Pranav Sivakumar, 15 of Aurora, Illinois who invented an automated method for finding and characterizing gravitationally lensed quasars; Anurudh Ganesan, 15 of Clarksburg, Md., who designed a more reliable way to transport vaccines to remote locations in developing countries; Deepika Kurup, 17 of Nashua, NH, devised a filtration system to remove toxins from drinking water; Lalita Prasida Sripada Srisai, 13 from India, came up with an inexpensive way to clean waste water by flowing it through corn cobs; and Eliott Sarrey,14 from Maron, France, who built a robot that when controlled by a smartphone can tend vegetable gardens.
Yeah, sure. But can any of them take the parts out of a digital clock's case? After all, there are likely screws that need to be removed.

1) He knew it looked suspicious, like a bomb. That is why, he claims, he put a cable round the case (don't ask me why he thought that would matter).
2) His father (a kook in his own right) pressed him to take it to school.
2) He was told by his engineering teacher not to show it to others because it looked threatening.
3) He took it to English class, and the alarm he set went off. Frightening the class and teacher. And as Ahmed and his science teacher already knew it would, the device looked threatening and the authorities were called.
4) He was handcuffed, detained, and initially charged with creating a bomb hoax.

For his gutting a clock, creating a hoax, while believing the false story of "Islamophobia" Microsoft rushed to send him a computer, Twitter offered him a job, Zuckerberg lavishes praise and invites him to visit, Hillary praised him, someone setup a scholarship fund, and Obama jumped in to heap praise and offered the 'genius' kid Muslim a visit to the whitehouse.

Is the culture left just shameless or too stupid?
I agree with you and sketicalbip that he invented nothing, and the media sensation is over the top. I also think that it's very possible that this family did intend to cause panic - though I'm not ready to set that in stone. My problem is the way it was handled by the authorities and school, and unnecessarily scaring the shit out of the entire community - including the students.

It's going to get the point that people will not take authorities seriously when a true threat arises.

Assuming that's true... bravo. It's says a lot about this country that people think the 24 series is at all real to life. For all the technology, weapons, and bravado about freedoms, we sure do look like a bunch of pussies when a kid brings what would be the innards of any electronic device to scare some people.

Good job ISIS!

A better job a fooling his nitwit admirers who believe he actually made a clock, and who think he was innocent of hoaxing.

This Ahmed human keeps using word "invention"

He invented a pencil box clock. You ever seen a pencil box clock before?
Here's a couple really old pre-digital ones:

12761669-a-pencil-box-with-a-clock.jpg

mickey-pencil-box-with-clock.jpg

And for the digital age, here's an old digital clock-in-a-box from Hollywood:

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe a patent violation suit will be the next chapter of this saga.

Yup. He came to the Google Science Fair the other day, just a couple of miles from my house:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/09/21/ahmed-mohamed-google-science-fair-clock/72594140/

Here's our spunky little hero who took apart a Radio Shack clock surrounded by some unknown, young people who are not really worth mentioning*:

View attachment 4246

LOL...is this supposed to pass as an argument for something? By all means, why not have some national olympians surround some dusky Muslim fat kid who cheated and failed at his local track meet and then point in awe - as he lays nero like sucking in the admiration.

Anything to show off your 'non-racist' credentials, right?

Good job ISIS!

I guess the next step is to determine how soon to send the kid to Guantanamo Bay.

A better job a fooling his nitwit admirers who believe he actually made a clock, and who was innocent of hoaxing.
I don't think he actually fooled his admirers. Leftists are virtually incapable psychologically of holding Muslims accountable. Even in egregious cases of Islamic evil like ISIS crucifying people, leftists must mention distant past Christian atrocities before they can even muster any condemnation. So in a case like this where no one was hurt and there was a glimmer of plausible deniability by the perpetrator of the hoax of course they're going to blindly defend the poor Muslim boy.

For the million time, he was arrested for a hoax bomb and acting weird.
And school/police did not overreact. It is leftist media who overreacted.
Right on for Zoroaster's sake! After all the bombings happening all over the world, the authorities most definitely did not overreact!

Back
Top Bottom