• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

The kid is getting praise and reward for what was a real foolish thing to do and should have been punished, not made into a celebrity!

The kid is getting praise and reward for what was a real foolish thing to do and should have been punished, not made into a celebrity!
The truth is he deserves neither. I brought a clock to school when I was a kid and I honestly didn't deserve praise or punnishment. Neither does this kid.

His celebrity status was earned through the the injustice leveled upon him not through his accomplishment. If you don't think he deserves to be a celebrity stop advocating for the punishment of kids who bring clocks to school.

It sounds so easy...

The truth is he deserves neither. I brought a clock to school when I was a kid and I honestly didn't deserve praise or punnishment. Neither does this kid.

His celebrity status was earned through the the injustice leveled upon him not through his accomplishment. If you don't think he deserves to be a celebrity stop advocating for the punishment of kids who bring clocks to school.

It sounds so easy...
But this brat claimed he built it from scratch. At no time did he say he plagiarised another's invention until it was discovered to be one!

It sounds so easy...
But this brat claimed he built it from scratch.

No. He always maintained he took parts from an old clock and put them into a pencil case. The bullshit assertion he "claimed he built it from scratch" came out of the mouths of his critics when they put together that strawman.

At no time did he say he plagiarised another's invention until it was discovered to be one!

He didn't palgarize an invention, either. It was a simple case mod. People who never heard of case mods are confused by them, but that's not a reason to 'invent' bullshit claims about what it was.

But this brat claimed he built it from scratch. At no time did he say he plagiarised another's invention until it was discovered to be one!

Show me a quote where he uses the words "from scratch." No quote huh? Maybe your reaction to this story is a little inflated. Re-calibrate and try again.

Are you really advocating punishing this kid because he used the word "invent" in a way that you don't like? You take Grammar Nazi to a new level!

But even that is an error and an overreaction. If I make brownies in a caricature shape of Jay Leno's head, the English language allows me to say that I invented "Jay Leno Brownies." A brand new thing distinct from any other known to it's creator.

But consider if I didn't make my Jay Leno brownies "from scratch." What if I used a Betty Crocker brownie mix to make my brownies? Did I still invent Jay Leno Brownies? YES! The English language allows this!

The Boy has no clothes!

You can't see his clothes???

Well as Matthew Henry said "None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see."

Maybe bigotry or ideology is preventing you from seeing this boy as fully human and as deserving of respect and dignity as any other human. Cleanse your eyes of these contaminants and I'm sure things will come into focus for you.

You can't see his clothes???

Well as Matthew Henry said "None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see."
Thar's hilariously ironic :)
Or merely hilariously appropriate. You are the one who can't see the kid's clothes especially after a Halloween costume based on them was posted in this very thread.

It still gets back to the fact that this kid is a moslem, had he not been, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.

The police in Irving on why they arrested Ahmed

According to the BBC, “police spokesman James McLellan said that, throughout the interview, Ahmed had maintained that he built only a clock, but said the boy was unable to give a ‘broader explanation’ as to what it would be used for.”

To tell time maybe?
I just gets nuttier

You confiscate the item, send the child to the principal's office, call the child's parents, turn the item over to the recourse officer. This ain't deep. And arrests and perp walks ain't necessary. If it is a clip, parents and child take a trip to police station. If it isn't, student goes back to class, parents go back to work, and the everybody goes back to business as usual. Either way, what happened in Irving doesn't happen.
That's not to say the teacher isn't stupid, and that they couldn't have checked with the science teacher before calling the cops, but I can understand the thought process that happened once he or she got into her head that the clock might be a part of a bomb. And then of course when cops get in, they assume the worst, because Texas, and even when they do figure out they were wrong they'll do their best to try find some justification for having cracked down on an innocent kid, because cops.
If you were worried about a bomb, would you let students stay in the blast range?
And if you are worried about an AK-47 in a school, why let kids stay in the shooting range?

The point being, that the kid's treatment is not because they though the device was a bomb (it was probably fairly straightforward to see there were no explosives in the case, even for a layman), but that they thought he was a terrorists or aiding a terrorist by building timers for a bomb,
And showing the bomb timer to everyone

I think the people at the school knew it wasn't a bomb but would not have been able to sleep that night in case something that they knew was definitely not a bomb was a bomb. Perfectly logical

Which is exactly what a villianous master mind would want you to believe. He's tricked you into blaming his patsies and leaving him off the hook so that he can move on to his next evil plan unencumbered.

Incidentally, his next evil plan is to build a toaster which may or may not be a biological weapon.
But he hasn't invented a thing! A baby could rip out the guts of a clock and put it elsewhere! I can see this kid one day becoming a grand mufti, or at least a imam by the people around him.

Did you vote for Tony Abbott?

I think the people at the school knew it wasn't a bomb but would not have been able to sleep that night in case something that they knew was definitely not a bomb was a bomb. Perfectly logical

Good reason to arrest students with cellphones. Cellphones have been used as bombs so they can't know that they're definitely not bombs. Anytime they see a student with a cellphone, they should call the police and suspend the kid.

It's the only way at they can logically be able to sleep at night.

Good reason to arrest students with cellphones. Cellphones have been used as bombs so they can't know that they're definitely not bombs. Anytime they see a student with a cellphone, they should call the police and suspend the kid.

It's the only way at they can logically be able to sleep at night.

And shoes. Shoes have been used as explosives so they can't know they're definitely not filled with explosives.

And underwear. Underwear, too...

It still gets back to the fact that this kid is a moslem, had he not been, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.
Exactly. There have been thousands of kids who have been subjected to the idiocy of the zero tolerance policies. The media is having a feeding frenzy over this one because he was Muslim and it was Texas.

It is the zero tolerance policies that should be the subject that everyone is upset over.

Exactly. There have been thousands of kids who have been subjected to the idiocy of the zero tolerance policies. The media is having a feeding frenzy over this one because he was Muslim and it was Texas.

It is the zero tolerance policies that should be the subject that everyone is upset over.

True. I make it a policy to have absolutely no tolerance at all for zero tolerance policies.

The difference here is that he was arrested, cuffed, and taken to the police station. How many times has that happened in other zero-tolerance cases?

Not only that, they (media) got all facts wrong,

Back
Top Bottom