• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

NOBODY can "suspend" the constitution. *

Martial law is a situation where habeas corpus is suspended and designated authorities are permitted to imprision anyone for any reason.

Congress doesn't disappear during martial law, nor does the SC. Theoretically all the members of congress and the SC (or just the "opposition" ones) could be imprisoned during martial law, but the constitution and the powers it delegates remain mostly intact.

*A constitutional convention might culminate in a suspension of the present constitution, but it would almost certainly be instantly replaced with a new constitution.

No shit. But The question is whether Trump will try it, and claim to be doing it to defend the constitution. And the more important question is whether the Republicans will stand behind him if he does. And if so, whether ordinary Americans will take to the streets if they do. They should. I’ll join them.

... But The question is whether Trump will try it, and claim to be doing it to defend the constitution. And the more important question is whether the Republicans will stand behind him if he does. And if so, whether ordinary Americans will take to the streets if they do. They should. I’ll join them.

Careful what you wish for. Ten million Americans own AR-15's and would love to "pop their cherries." What percentage of those ten million do you think are allied with the rational thinkers?

... But The question is whether Trump will try it, and claim to be doing it to defend the constitution. And the more important question is whether the Republicans will stand behind him if he does. And if so, whether ordinary Americans will take to the streets if they do. They should. I’ll join them.

Careful what you wish for. Ten million Americans own AR-15's and would love to "pop their cherries." What percentage of those ten million do you think are allied with the rational thinkers?

Not sure. But I’m one of them. And unlike a lot of them, I’m trained to us it.

I think if this happened a large percentage of Americans would revolt. The Dow would collapse. I think the military would tell him to go fuck himself and that would probably be the end of it. But CJCS Milley is a bit scary sometimes.

Not sure. But I’m one of them. And unlike a lot of them, I’m trained to us it.

I think if this happened a large percentage of Americans would revolt. The Dow would collapse. I think the military would tell him to go fuck himself and that would probably be the end of it. But CJCS Milley is a bit scary sometimes.

It's hard to envision a scenario where target acquisition isn't a big problem for either side. Not like you can just go out in the street and start flinging lead and expect to further some outcome or other.

This is a definition of terrorism. The killings aren't because the victims are people you wanted dead, but to "encourage" the survivors to fear and therefore "respect" you.

I'd feel more sanguine about the up-coming violent riots were it not that several police forces have explicitly allied themselves with groups like Proud Boys.

This is a definition of terrorism. The killings aren't because the victims are people you wanted dead, but to "encourage" the survivors to fear and therefore "respect" you.

I'd feel more sanguine about the up-coming violent riots were it not that several police forces have explicitly allied themselves with groups like Proud Boys.

Aren't they the ones who ambushed cops?

And whose leader came out and said they were a Nazi organization.

Didn't the BLM leaders come out and announce that they were trained Marxists?

People claiming to represent groups like this don't necessarily represent the whole group, obviously.
Tom

People claiming to represent groups like this don't necessarily represent the whole group, obviously.
Tom

BLM doesn't have "leaders" any more than "anonymous" does. What does that even mean, "trained Marxists"?

Whoever said those two things, in conjunction, can go be laughed at (that they lead BLM and that they were... That). Whether it was some actual individual or some right wing rag matters little.

Tom

BLM doesn't have "leaders" any more than "anonymous" does. What does that even mean, "trained Marxists"?

Whoever said those two things, in conjunction, can go be laughed at (that they lead BLM and that they were... That). Whether it was some actual individual or some right wing rag matters little.

BLM does not have leaders, but it does have founders, and one of them, Patrice Cullors, described herself and the other original organizers in such a fashion.

BLM does not have leaders, but it does have founders, and one of them, Patrice Cullors, described herself and the other original organizers in such a fashion.

That's great. Well, not every idea a person has is bound to be a good one.

I maintain that I'm going to laugh at the idiocy of that statement while continuing to support the only actual message of BLM: that black lives matter as much as all other lives.

All this talk of suspending the Constitution.....can we suspend his presidency until we have figured out if he's trying to commit treason?

The Senate already exonerated him of that. Funny how corruption works.

I don't think calling the GOP the party of treason would be stretching the truth.

Well, yeah. They've more or less stated that they see the continuation of their party as a greater priority than the rule of law. Or the "phony" Constitution, as Trump once described it.

All this talk of suspending the Constitution.....can we suspend his presidency until we have figured out if he's trying to commit treason?

Did you misspell "has been committing treason"?
The Senate already exonerated him of that. Funny how corruption works.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. But yeah - if the Senate had removed him after he was impeached, and Pence pardoned him at that point, okay fine - as far as federal crimes committed by the Danger Yam during his tenure. By now though, the entire Crime Family would be in jail along with Barr, Miller, Stone, Flynn, and the rest. That would include Trump, at least for State crimes.
The nation's thirst for blood would be slaked somewhat, fair warning to future Nazi traitors would be served and we could perhaps move on.

A good article on why we have to take these calls to establish a Trump dictatorship seriously.

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/trump-coup-dictatorship-fascism/

We’ve seen high Trump officials in the Pentagon say Trump should suspend the Constitution and redo the election. Another called for fired Trump administration member Krebs, who called the election secure, to be taken out and shot. Sydney Powell just called for “drastic action” by Trump to invoke the Insurrection Act and set up military tribunals to deal with Trump’s enemies.

Even Trump has echoed these claims albeit falling short of actually invoking the Insurrection Act. He did call Georgia governor Kemp and asked him to overturn the election results. He then repeated baseless allegations of fraud to a crowd in Georgia who chanted Defend President Trump.

Now his Pentagon is refusing to share intel with Biden. This is truly frightening. What are they hiding? We’ve also learned that senior military leaders are concerned that Trump will ask them to put down any opposition to his staying in power. One wag said, that the Pentagon is prepared for war against Canada, but is clueless as to how to handle a potential coup. They could find themselves basically being the coup without realizing it and it’s too late.

But worst of all GOP Senate leadership has remained silent. They are the one body that can stop this. If McConnell and others would stand up to him, he would have no choice but to back down. Their continued silence is appalling.

I just don’t think people are taking this threat seriously, and that could be very dangerous. Biden at least should speak out against these bizarre calls by Trump and his supporters. He should call on McConnell to do the same.

I just don’t think people are taking this threat seriously, and that could be very dangerous. Biden at least should speak out against these bizarre calls by Trump and his supporters. He should call on McConnell to do the same.
That's not taking things seriously.

Taking things seriously is for someone like Kemp to ask to speak privately with Diaper Don. Alone in a room Kemp tells the Diaper that he's puke and is going to kick his ass and cut off his hair and then send him back outside. And then Kemp does exactly that.

That's taking things seriously.

Of course, it's all a joke and a misunderstanding.

But worst of all GOP Senate leadership has remained silent. They are the one body that can stop this. If McConnell and others would stand up to him, he would have no choice but to back down. Their continued silence is appalling.

This.

For most of my adult life I was studiously bipartisan. My first presidential vote was for Reagan, Jimmy "the Christian" Carter was too much of a weinie. The only politician I've ever voted for every chance I got was Richard Lugar(R).

This started changing in the late 90s. The country was doing quite well under the Clinton administration. Economy was perking along, no wars, deficit shrinking, the Republicans simply didn't have a real campaign issue. So they literally made a federal case out of Clinton banging the secretary. The Impeachment Circus was so long, hypocritical, and hyperpartisan it was insane. And very damaging to the institution of the presidency.

Then Bush II took office because his brother, Florida governor Jeb, managed just enough election fraud to throw the state to him. And proceeded to blow up the economy, start a disastrous war or two, send the federal debt into the stratosphere, and enable millions of undocumented workers to flood in. The Republicans did so badly that a black kid from Chicago could beat a decorated war hero and the best pair of boobs ever seen in a presidential election race.

The GOP was toast. It resembled a big bloated corporation, with name recognition but a shrinking market share. Any good capitalist with shit tons of money knows what to do with an opportunity like that. It's called a "hostile takeover". So folks like the Koch Bros and Rupert Murdoch designed, organized, funded, and publicized a political group called the TeaParty. They fed low information voters what they wanted to hear and got millions of voters to vote against their own best interests. Between Obama's election and inauguration, they'd bused thousands of people to rallies demanding "We want our country back!" and blaming Obama for the disaster that the Republicans left behind. They believed that huge government overreach and the economic problems were somehow Obama's fault, and not that of years of Republican policies. Over a very few years, TeaParty politicians got rid of the Republicans(calling them RINOs) who still had American's best interests at heart and replaced them with TeaParty loyalists.

And Trump is the result. He's not a Republican. Neither is Moscow Mitch, or any of the other high profile TeaPartiers. They're RINOs. They're more willing to dump the law and constitution than the KGB oligarch currently running Russia.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom