• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

So the jig is up for Trump in terms of legal recourse on election disputes. But is there any reason to believe he will not try to declare martial law?

He doesn't really want the job. Just the protections and the money.

He stands to make more money campaigning for '24 than he'll get as a second-term president. And he's probably got an exit strategy with the pardons for the protections they'll afford. Or some deal he'll offer Biden, "Pardon me (us), or i bomb Iran."

And the optics of declaring martial law, and having to sue the military to enact it after they say, "no." That'll be bad. Especially with how badly he is doing in court these days.

So the jig is up for Trump in terms of legal recourse on election disputes. But is there any reason to believe he will not try to declare martial law?

He doesn't really want the job. Just the protections and the money.

He stands to make more money campaigning for '24 than he'll get as a second-term president. And he's probably got an exit strategy with the pardons for the protections they'll afford. Or some deal he'll offer Biden, "Pardon me (us), or i bomb Iran."

And the optics of declaring martial law, and having to sue the military to enact it after they say, "no." That'll be bad. Especially with how badly he is doing in court these days.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Supremes strike down appeal of Pennsylvania result: "The application for injunctive relief presented to Justice Alito and by him referred to the Court is denied.”

That’s all.

The supremes won’t help him. Only thing left is an out right coup. Or have the legislators in Michigan and Pennsylvania send competing electoral college reps. I think they shot that down.

Expect violence by Trump.

If I have understood correctly, now that all states have certified their votes, it's pretty certain that the electoral college will convene in state capitals and is likely to pass that vote tally up to the congress.

But isn't it possible that republicans raise concerns in the congress for vote counts in particular states, in which case both the house and the senate vote on the objection. The house will likely reject any such objection, but the senate might not. And that could open a door to all sorts of shenanigans. What if the senate won't stop the debate on the vote? What if Mitch McConnell or Mike Pence presides over the electoral college vote count and refuses to let it continue? With delay tactics they could declare that the electoral college failed to pick a winner and that there should be a contingent election in the house.

Supremes strike down appeal of Pennsylvania result: "The application for injunctive relief presented to Justice Alito and by him referred to the Court is denied.”

That’s all.

The supremes won’t help him. Only thing left is an out right coup. Or have the legislators in Michigan and Pennsylvania send competing electoral college reps. I think they shot that down.

Expect threats of violence by Trump.
I am 100% sure Donny would order up some violence if he was sure HE wouldn't get hurt, and that it would have some effect.
The problem is... who is he going to attack? The only people left supporting him are the impotent suckers and losers who have to do his dirty work.
Yeah, there are Republican weenies who are still sucking up to him, but they only do that because they need his suckers and losers to vote for them; they don't actually need Trump, and would like to get rid of him.
So again - he might be able to get Bubba out in the street with his AK47, but who is Bubba gonna shoot that will make Trump dictator?

That’s all.

I am 100% sure Donny would order up some violence if he was sure HE wouldn't get hurt, and that it would have some effect.
The problem is... who is he going to attack? The only people left supporting him are the impotent suckers and losers who have to do his dirty work.
Yeah, there are Republican weenies who are still sucking up to him, but they only do that because they need his suckers and losers to vote for them; they don't actually need Trump, and would like to get rid of him.
So again - he might be able to get Bubba out in the street with his AK47, but who is Bubba gonna shoot that will make Trump dictator?

Expect incitement of violence from Trump.

How many wingnuts with heavy duty weapons, believing that they're saving America, would it take?
Tom

That’s all.

How many wingnuts with heavy duty weapons, believing that they're saving America, would it take?
Tom

At least 100 million (30% population). There are less than 75 million in existence (Trump voters - but only a small subset of them are violent wingnuts.)

Tom

At least 100 million (30% population). There are less than 75 million in existence (Trump voters - but only a small subset of them are violent wingnuts.)

Sorry I was unclear. I didn't mean "How many wingnuts would it take to install Trump as dictator for life?". I meant "How many wingnuts would it take to create a big violent disaster?". That would be less than 10.

Imagine 10 Trumpistas with weapons willing to martyr themselves for The Cause. From the Inauguration to celebratory rallies around the USA, the list of potential targets for mass killings is huge. That's what I was talking about.
Tom

ETA ~And imagine Trump's Parler response. "Biden's only been in office for 10 minutes and we're already having a surge in violence! ~

The Betfair prediction market is supposed to pay off promptly on "announcments" regardless of subsequent elector defections ...

If I have understood correctly, now that all states have certified their votes, it's pretty certain that the electoral college will convene in state capitals and is likely to pass that vote tally up to the congress.....

... Yet Betfair has not closed this market. Instead Trump is shown as almost 5% to win (that's 0.3% adjusted for long-shot-bias) and if the true chance is 0% then there are $77,000 to be taken at once by anyone willing to place a Million-Plus in escrow on a 22-for-1 Trump Lay ticket.

The Betfair prediction market is supposed to pay off promptly on "announcments" regardless of subsequent elector defections ...

If I have understood correctly, now that all states have certified their votes, it's pretty certain that the electoral college will convene in state capitals and is likely to pass that vote tally up to the congress.....

... Yet Betfair has not closed this market. Instead Trump is shown as almost 5% to win (that's 0.3% adjusted for long-shot-bias) and if the true chance is 0% then there are $77,000 to be taken at once by anyone willing to place a Million-Plus in escrow on a 22-for-1 Trump Lay ticket.

If Trump wins the coup attempt, dollars wont be worth anything anyhow ...

So Trump joined the Texas lawsuit at the Supreme Court, then announced that he was going to win the election in a landslide. The crowd chanted four more years. This fucker will really try and pull some shit. The Court will likely rule on Friday because the electoral college meets Monday. Many states allow faithless electors, including Pennsylvania and Georgia. Not that enough would defect, but Trump could try something crazy on Monday.

SLD

I wondering does Trump have standing to join lawsuit since we technically elect the electors not the candidate himself?

So Trump joined the Texas lawsuit at the Supreme Court, then announced that he was going to win the election in a landslide. The crowd chanted four more years. This fucker will really try and pull some shit. The Court will likely rule on Friday because the electoral college meets Monday. Many states allow faithless electors, including Pennsylvania and Georgia. Not that enough would defect, but Trump could try something crazy on Monday.

SLD

I wonder if Trump will continue bringing lawsuits beyond Biden presidency? We are in middle of the covid 19 pandemic for the good of country he should concede the election. Hopefully the Supreme court will toss out this lawsuit.

I wondering does Trump have standing to join lawsuit since we technically elect the electors not the candidate himself?

He doesn’t have standing because the court’s original jurisdiction applies to disputes between states. At most he could file an amici brief.

But frankly this lawsuit has nothing to do with the lawsuit itself. This is Bill Paxton’s application for a pardon. He’s just been indicted for securities fraud.

SLD

SLD

I wonder if Trump will continue bringing lawsuits beyond Biden presidency? We are in middle of the covid 19 pandemic for the good of country he should concede the election. Hopefully the Supreme court will toss out this lawsuit.

They'll make a paper airplane out of it in quick order.

I met a person yesterday who still thinks Trumpy is going to "win the election." It's the same mind that is anti science, anti vaccine, anti liberal, etc. Sometimes I wonder if something in the environment isn't responsible for the crazytown syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom