• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kentucky Fried Chicken Celebrates Kristallnacht

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
With Cheesy Chicken! Apparently their app in Germany said “It's memorial day for Kristallnacht! Treat yourself with more tender cheese on your crispy chicken. Now at KFCheese!”

I thought about putting this in humor. It’s something out of the Onion. But they quickly apologized and said it was a bot that did it.

So Bots manage their advertising?! Get your money's worth I suppose.

I'm struggling trying to make this funny, but I think The Onion take (though, I'm envisioning this being more Matt Bors territory) would be Kohl's Twitter feed pops out a "Reap the Savings in our Sandy Hook Anniversary Sale" tweet. Then the other store Bots take the input and see there is a sale and need to respond. So then all of a sudden Best Buy, Target, Amazon, Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond (if they still exist) are all tweeting messages of sales to mark the anniversary of the Sandy Hook massacre, but the price monitoring bots start scanning websites to monitor the prices. Kohl's has a typical 15% off sale, so products for Amazon get adjusted based on their modeling of what Kohl's offers. Best Buy and Target are matching... and all of this is like happening in twenty minutes.

And before we know it, there is a sale price war among all the major stores instigated by a single accidental tweet. To make matters worse, it takes a few hours before some human at one of these companies asks the question "Why are we selling the Harry Potter 4K disc collection for $24.99 and giving the customer a $15 gift card?" Then human staffing starts looking everywhere in the pricing database, jaws propped open. And then the phones start ringing in the marketing department from the NY Times asking why they are promoting a Sandy Hook Anniversary sale on Twitter and their website.

The marketing department is aghast... denying they did anything and it was all automated. But there is a sales war on-going and the stores need to hit numbers. They don't want to have a Sandy Hook Anniversary sale, but the inertia is too much especially after Target announced they goofed up and corrected everything, but the Dow sent their stock price tumbling because Target was going to come up short in the sale frenzy. It just snowballs from there.

And that is why on the Anniversary of the tragic Sandy Hook massacre, there is a sale.

Okay, maybe I didn't struggle as much as I thought I would.

Has Tay been resurrected?

Who or what is Tay?

Is that Tay-Tay Swift?

If so, I hadn't had the pleasure of learning about her demise.
Tom
No, though Swift's fans may yet eat her alive after she dared to express that she used to be afraid that she'd get fat. Swift instantly capitulated and censored her own art to appease them.

Wiki about Tay

Tay was an artificial intelligence chatter bot that was originally released by Microsoft Corporation via Twitter on March 23, 2016; it caused subsequent controversy when the bot began to post inflammatory and offensive tweets through its Twitter account, causing Microsoft to shut down the service only 16 hours after its launch. According to Microsoft, this was caused by trolls who "attacked" the service as the bot made replies based on its interactions with people on Twitter. It was replaced with Zo.

Has Tay been resurrected?

Who or what is Tay?

Is that Tay-Tay Swift?

If so, I hadn't had the pleasure of learning about her demise.
Tom
No, though Swift's fans may yet eat her alive after she dared to express that she used to be afraid that she'd get fat. Swift instantly capitulated and censored her own art to appease them.
Probably because Jewish media moguls forced her to do it. Just ask Ke-Ke.

You know what those people are like

Tom

I just got a flyer in the mail.
December 7th will be Sushi Day at Red Lobster!

I swear to God.
Tom

Off topic but now my curiousity is piqued. How solemn is September 11 for Americans? If your birthday is on September 11, would it be considered gauche to celebrate your birthday on that particular day?

Off topic but now my curiousity is piqued. How solemn is September 11 for Americans? If your birthday is on September 11, would it be considered gauche to celebrate your birthday on that particular day?
Not in my experience. A family friend has that birthday (born long before the infamous 9/11) Another family friend (with strong family ties to the military) was born on Dec. 7 long after Pearl Harbor. Bad things happen every single day but so do good things. I like to think that the birth of good people on days that have tragic meaning help to mitigate the tragedy and remind us that life goes on.

I'd also say, except for those directly impacted by 9/11, it has been nearly a generation ago (I'm having trouble coming to grips with that fact). The scars are effectively healed... except for those that were directly impacted.

I'd also say, except for those directly impacted by 9/11, it has been nearly a generation ago (I'm having trouble coming to grips with that fact). The scars are effectively healed... except for those that were directly impacted.
Where I live, there hasn't even been a moment of silence at HS games on 9/11 for 8 years or so.

Can't say that I was directly impacted. But for the last couple of decades, I have pined for the days when a person could stuff some c-notes into their pocket and catch the next plane to anywhere is US territory (or much of the world, with passport) if you could get to the airport within five or ten minutes of departure.
I got cold chills the first time I heard "Department of Homeland Security", and thought to myself "they won".
They still won, and I still get cold chills. So "effectively healed" is only accurate in the same sense as an amputation site can be "effectively healed".

Here in the USA we don't do solemnity very well, generally.
However, I'm glad my birthday is September 10.

Worse would be an old buddy Scott, about my age. His birthday is December 26. The day after Christmas everyone is partied out. If someone were inclined to get him a birthday present they probably just gave him a Christmas present and said it was for both. Most of his best presents as a kid were things that somebody else got for Christmas but didn't really want.
Tom

Worse would be an old buddy Scott, about my age. His birthday is December 26. The day after Christmas everyone is partied out. If someone were inclined to get him a birthday present they probably just gave him a Christmas present and said it was for both. Most of his best presents as a kid were things that somebody else got for Christmas but didn't really want.
Tom
My brother's birthday is the 26th too. Yeah, it kinda sucks.

How do you Jesus feels? He was born in the spring and they celebrate his birthday around a pagan holiday!

How do you Jesus feels? He was born in the spring and they celebrate his birthday around a pagan holiday!
It's King Charles III I* feel sorry for. We had his Birthday Public Holiday on the same day we used to celebrate his mum's birthday - and neither of them were born on that day.

To add insult to injury, because his mum only died a few weeks before the day, most official documentation still listed it as the Queen's Birthday Holiday.

Oh, and some states in Australia commemorate it on a different date altogether, that is still not the birthday of either monarch.

We are really half-arsing the whole head of state thing here, though to be fair, when the head of state lives on the opposite side of the planet and rarely visits, it doesn't seem that important to fully-arse it.

* NB the use of four 'I's is intended and not a speech impediment, nor a slur against spectacle wearers

It doesn't surprise me one bit to learn that in the 2022, KFC has an employ in charge of online promotions who has no idea what Kristallnacht means. It's just another one of those German parties with a funny spelling, like Oktoberfest.

We used to say, "Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it," but this supposes they knew history at one time, but it slipped their mind. Now we can say, "Those who don't study history will have a problem explaining the gap in their resume."

Tom
I have friends that are twins, born the first week of January. They said the worst was the one time they got a joint [for the two of them] joint [xmas+bday] gift. Yep, one-for-four. (One 'standard' gift, not something bigger/better/improved to cover multiple giftings.)

Back
Top Bottom