• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Krysten Sinema Leaves Democratic Party

The last few elections have seen a rising number of young voters. Generation Z voters in Georgia gave Warnock his win.
Make no mistake, Rs nominating a dumbass like Walker is what gave Warnock the win.
A more competent Republican would have sent the pastor back to the pulpit.

Two years is a long time in politics. If Sinema plays obstructionist as she has been doing, losing support of young voters may indeed be a mistake on her part.
93% voting record with Biden is not being an obstructionist. But it is not being a rubber stamp either. Biden and national Dems need to rethink their national agenda. Bernie and AOC should not be influencing it as much as they have been during Biden's first half term.
No. The GOP needs to rethink its agenda. They were the big losers at the midterms. Their race to the bottom/drag us all back to 1950 mentality is harming everyone.
They're not going to rethink their agenda, they're going to think of how to subvert democracy.
Their agenda HAS been subverting democracy. It's not working so good for them. They'll need to revert to core values (think Eisenhower) or perish.

Of course I understand the risks! But at the very least, the filibuster must be overhauled. As it stands now, it acts very much as a toddler placing its fingers in its ears and holding its breath until it gets its way.
I agree that an overhaul would be good. But that is a matter for another thread, and beside my point.
My point was that her position on RvW and her position of doing away with the filibuster are not inconsistent just because the latter might help with the former.

Why?
The GOP needs to rethink its agenda.
Really both parties should. It's not an either-or. And this is a thread about Sinema and the Dems, so of course we should focus on what the Dems can and should do.
They were the big losers at the midterms.
Were they though? There was no "red wave", for sure, but they still won the House and only lost one Senate seat. Ohio and Wisconsin did not flip for example.
The two albatrosses around their necks were, of course, Dobbs and Trump's handpicked candidates like Öz and Walker. But again, this has nothing to do with Sinema.

AZ is not very purple at all. That faint tinge is fir to younger people reaching voting age and then voting. I recognize that a candidate more progressive than Sinema would be unlikely to win in AZ. Yet.
A Dem governor, two Dem senators (until now, when it's one Dem one indy who caucuses with Dems like King and Sanders), Biden won it (albeit barely) in 2020. But Rs tend to win the presidency normally, and last two governors have been Rs. Seems like a purple state to me.

BTW, my phone frequently changed spelling of words I type sometimes to the incorrect word or punctuation so maybe lay off a little?
Which is why I rarely use the phone to write here. And I also keep autocorrect turned off. More of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

Kyrsten Sinema herself:

Kyrsten Sinema on Twitter: "In a natural extension ..." / Twitter
In a natural extension of my service since I was first elected to Congress, I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington and formally registering as an Arizona Independent. 1/3

Over the past four years, I’ve worked proudly with other Senators in both parties and forged consensus on successful laws helping everyday Arizonans build better lives for themselves and their families. 2/3

Becoming an Independent won’t change my work in the Senate; my service to Arizona remains the same. Read my full Op-ed in the Arizona Republic 3/3 ⬇️ " / Twitter
Linking to Sen. Kyrsten Sinema: Why I'm registering as an independent
After describing how wonderfully independent of political parties Arizonans are,
Arizonans expect our leaders to follow that example – set aside political games, work together, make progress and then get out of the way so we can build better lives for ourselves and our families.

It’s no surprise that Washington, D.C., often fails to reflect that expectation.

Everyday Americans are increasingly left behind by national parties’ rigid partisanship, which has hardened in recent years. Pressures in both parties pull leaders to the edges, allowing the loudest, most extreme voices to determine their respective parties’ priorities and expecting the rest of us to fall in line.

In catering to the fringes, neither party has demonstrated much tolerance for diversity of thought. Bipartisan compromise is seen as a rarely acceptable last resort, rather than the best way to achieve lasting progress. Payback against the opposition party has replaced thoughtful legislating.

When politicians are more focused on denying the opposition party a victory than they are on improving Americans’ lives, the people who lose are everyday Americans. 

That’s why I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington.

I registered as an Arizona independent. 

She does not describe what supposedly extremist policies the two parties have.

Also, her romanticism for a no-party system seems like what the US Founders originally wanted. By they divided up into parties in George Washington's first term.

AOC responding to KS's video tweet:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Not once ..." / Twitter
Not once in this long soliloquy does Sinema offer a single concrete value or policy she believes in. She lays out no goals for Arizonans, no vision, no commitments.

It’s “no healthcare, just vibes” for Senate.

People deserve more. Grateful this race & nomination has opened up.

Kara Eastman on Twitter: "Thank you for posting this @KaivanShroff" / Twitter
notes
Kaivan Shroff on Twitter: "Here’s ..." / Twitter
Here’s hypocrite sellout Kyrsten Sinema bashing Joe Lieberman for doing exactly what she is doing now.

Lieberman similarly switched from Democrat to Independent while in the Senate. (Lieberman basically became the #1 Senate troll, blocked progress, and faded into irrelevance.)
In effect, for being a rotating villain, something that she herself became along with Joe Manchin: Sinema and Manchin, the Rotating Villains. | by Lauren Elizabeth | Medium
Anyone else notice how when one of them pretends to be conciliatory and supportive of a piece of the agenda that’s important to the base such as legislation to combat climate change, the other will come out against it? Isn’t it interesting how when Sinema announces her support for the climate change legislation, Manchin says he’s against it? Isn’t it interesting how when Manchin says he would support some version of raising taxes on the nation’s wealthiest individuals, Sinema says she’s against it?

If nothing else, the two of them serve as a frustrating reminder of just how coordinated and efficient the corruption within the American political system really is.
(on politicians being bought by big donors...)
Of course, it serves the interests of the corrupt politicians as well. It ensures that there are times when they might be garnering too much negative attention for their obstruction, there’s another lawmaker who can take the heat for a different issue and take away some of the negative attention. ...

The thing is, if it wasn’t them it would be someone else. It would be Chris Coons, or Mark Warner, or virtually any Senator who happens to take campaign contributions from corporations or wealthy individuals. So long as there is money in politics, there will always be a rotating villain.

Oh, and let’s not forget: it doesn’t always need to be a politician either. Sometimes it can be an unelected Senate staffer, like the parliamentarian.

Eva Putzova on Twitter: "1/5: Never underestimate ..." / Twitter
1/5: Never underestimate @kyrstensinema's ambition, callousness, willingness to use others to gain power, & brilliance in a horrible Machiavellian way. She would throw away her chance at winning the Senate Seat for only one office. Just picture the line up: Trump, Biden, Sinema.

2/5: The media would be all over her. She would love it. She would stand out. How could we resist having an LGBTQ woman as a president! On the campaign trail, she would be measured and cool like a cucumber next to 2 old guys--an unhinged Trump and unscripted, out-of-it Biden.

3/5: The money would be flowing in & the corporate media elites would soon coalesce their support for her. She would get from them the attention they gave Trump in '16. The 2 parties effectively disenfranchising their bases for years would struggle to put forward any alternatives

4/5: Just imagine the pageantry, the spectacle. She feeds on the attention. It may not work out but for 2 years she would be the star. Even if the chances for all this to work out are minuscule, losing a presidential bid is not bad compared to losing a Senate race at this point.

5/5: Maybe this is a good plot for a TV series but is it really so far fetched? Plenty of people in the Dem. and Rep. political circles would jump on Kyrsten's bandwagon and she already showed corporations that she has their back. Money would not be a problem.
She seems to be referring to KS running for President.

I agree that that would be a sight to see.

Sinema party switch jumpstarts Arizona's 2024 Senate battle - POLITICO
Kyrsten Sinema’s Friday party switch has jolted her home state’s 2024 Senate race to life far earlier than expected, raising questions from Capitol Hill to Phoenix about the risk that Democrats could hand the GOP a must-win seat.

The now-independent senator wouldn’t say in an interview with POLITICO whether she’ll seek reelection in two years. Still, multiple Democrats see Sinema’s move as an attempt to shore up her electoral standing — by both avoiding a primary and trying to box out her likely chief opponent, Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.).

“Does it dilute us? Does it draw away from us? Yes, absolutely,” Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) said, adding that he’s already personally assured Gallego of support in any 2024 Senate fight but also warned him to take Sinema seriously. “Anybody who underestimates her is foolish.”

Multiple people close to Gallego, however, said they do not expect he will back down.
About her campaigning,
While she’s always been a strong fundraiser, she would lack party resources — like a ground game — that are critical for voter turnout, particularly in a sprawling state like Arizona. Republicans in the state, even if some do support her, would not be expected to assist with that.

National Democratic forces aren’t rushing to take a position on Sinema’s departure, nor are they committing to work against her. Privately, some operatives said they’re waiting for cues from party leadership on how to proceed.
KS started out as an activist, so that lack of a ground game shows how much she's sold out.

Poll: Arizona Senator Kyrsten Sinema Set to Be Unseated by Possible Challenger Ruben Gallego in 2024 Primary Landslide - January 26, 2022
KS's approval ratings are way down, and she would likely be crushed in a Democratic primary.

Back to Politico.
Sinema would be a rare formidable independent candidate if she runs, positioning herself to capture a significant share of the centrist vote from both parties. But she could be particularly attractive to moderate Republicans, if GOP primary voters continue down the path of choosing nominees who prove off-putting to general election voters.

“We just saw all the MAGA candidates lose, which is a good sign for her,” Coughlin said. “I think what she’s doing is rolling the dice on the continuing evolution of the Arizona electorate.”

Poll: Only 8 percent of Arizona Democrats view Kyrsten Sinema favorably. - Slate - Jan 21, 2022 - "Just 8 percent of her party’s voters view the senator favorably. What could she be thinking?"

Democrats liked KS until early 2021, when she started to obstruct Democratic legislation. "You rarely see this rapid a turning-on-one’s-own in party politics. Over the past year, in Civiqs polling, Sinema went from a 50 percent net favorable rating among Arizona Dems to a 72 percent net unfavorable rating."

"The two major inflection points on the chart coincide with Sinema’s vote in March 2021 against including a minimum wage hike in the COVID relief bill and her May 2021 decision to skip the Senate’s vote on establishing a commission to investigate the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol."

The weird thing here is that Sinema, who could stand to lose a Democratic primary if she runs for re-election in 2024, doesn’t seem to care. Usually, legislators’ positions on issues are informed by some combination of their own beliefs, the interests of their donors, and those of their constituents. So what are we to make of the fact that, at a crucial turning point for U.S. democracy and a record low point in her standing among the people who put her in office, Sinema opted to derail the Democrats’ voting rights legislation? Does she have some deeply held personal attachment to the filibuster, an institution whose history she can’t even get right?

And, anyway, Sinema’s votes can’t be explained by the ideological makeup of Arizona’s general electorate: She’s siding with the GOP way more often than she needs to—and according to Civiqs’ tracking, she’s even 20 points under water with independents, who flipped on her in early 2021 around the time she signaled her opposition to raising the minimum wage in the COVID package. Among Republicans, she has a net favorable rating, which jumped after she missed the Jan. 6 commission vote. But she wouldn’t last a second in a GOP primary. The Arizona Republican Party, which is now fully consumed by pro-Trump conspiracy theories and far-right extremism, would never cast its lot with a centrist former Dem.

One often-repeated theory is that Sinema simply doesn’t intend to run for office again and may see her future in lobbying. But U.S. senators don’t usually dash for that door after just a single term in office. Recently, journalist Amy Siskind claimed that Sinema hopes to run for president in 2024 as a straight-down-the-middle candidate, and she’s establishing a legislative history to back herself up. It seems almost too bizarre to be true—but then again, so does the rest of her behavior.

Kyrsten Sinema approval rating: The Arizona senator is equally unpopular with everyone. - Slate - Sept 22, 2022
Bipartisanship has always been important to Kyrsten Sinema, the senator from Arizona. Though she’s a Democrat, she has styled her career, it is often said, after “maverick” John McCain and prides herself on her frequent partnerships with Republicans. Her social media accounts and official statements often tout that she’s working “across the aisle,” trying to bring both sides together.

Well: mission accomplished!
Her disapproval margins are min 10%, median 17%, max 27%.

Sinema’s Independence Costs Democratic Support | OH Predictive Insights – Phoenix AZ - March 22nd, 2021 - about half-half.

Sinema Unpopular in AZ After Filibuster Stance - PROGRESS ARIZONA % - March 31, 2021 - declined: "Sinema’s stubborn refusal to eliminate the filibuster and her exaggerated vote against the inclusion of the $15 minimum wage increase in the American Rescue Plan marked a notable shift in Sinema’s popularity."

Democratic Voters Drive Decline in Sinema’s Popularity in Arizona - Morning Consult - October 4, 2021
  • 46% of Arizona Democrats approved of Sinema’s job performance in the third quarter of 2021, down 21 points from the first quarter.
  • 42% of all Arizona voters approve of her, compared with 48% who said the same earlier this year.
  • By comparison, sentiment toward West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, the chamber’s other high-profile centrist Democrat, has been less volatile.

Top progressive firm drops Sinema as a client - POLITICO - 12/09/2022 - "Authentic has dropped the Arizona senator after she announced she was leaving the Democratic Party."

A staff mutiny? ‘I am doing the devils work’ — Staff at Dem firm revolt over work for Sinema - POLITICO - 02/03/2022 - "Inside Authentic, employees have aired frustrations over the contract the firm has with the Arizona Democrat. Leadership hasn’t budged on it."

Back to the most recent one.
Authentic was founded in 2018 by veteran political consultant Mike Nellis, who worked on Sen. Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential campaign. The firm’s work has included campaigns for President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.). Its clients also include Patients for Affordable Drugs and other organizations. Authentic’s website still lists Sinema on its roster as of mid-Friday.

content

Rep. Ruben Gallego
Rep. Greg Stanton
Outgoing Governor Doug Ducey
Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb
Rep. Andy Biggs
Rep. David Schweikert

By party and willingness:
  • Democratic: Reps. Ruben Gallego, Greg Stanton
  • Republican: Pinal Cty Sheriff Mark Lamb, Reps. Andy Biggs, David Schweikert
  • Unwilling Republican: Kari Lake, Gov. Doug Ducey

"Civiqs found that Democrats already gave her a horrific 5-82 score even before she jumped ship. Republicans and independents, by contrast, gave her 25-45 and 25-56 ratings."

So KS could be a spoiler for the Republicans instead of the Democrats.

Here is a political party for KS: the Libertarian Party. It claims to be economically right-wing and socially left-wing or at least left-leaning.

It is also good for her in being like her former party, the Green Party: a complete failure. The GP and the LP seem mainly to exist to support vanity Presidential runs. Neither party seems to have much of an apparat to support local or state or Congressional candidates. Nothing like what the Working Families Party has.

Top progressive firm drops Sinema as a client - POLITICO - 12/09/2022 - "Authentic has dropped the Arizona senator after she announced she was leaving the Democratic Party."

A staff mutiny? ‘I am doing the devils work’ — Staff at Dem firm revolt over work for Sinema - POLITICO - 02/03/2022 - "Inside Authentic, employees have aired frustrations over the contract the firm has with the Arizona Democrat. Leadership hasn’t budged on it."

Back to the most recent one.
Authentic was founded in 2018 by veteran political consultant Mike Nellis, who worked on Sen. Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential campaign. The firm’s work has included campaigns for President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.). Its clients also include Patients for Affordable Drugs and other organizations. Authentic’s website still lists Sinema on its roster as of mid-Friday.
I'm not sure what makes Authentic a "progressive firm"; they seem pretty loyal to the DNC usually, so this action is not surprising. Do they have any non-Democrat clients?

Back
Top Bottom