• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Looking for manipulative hobbies as being shuttered in closes upon us

fromderinside

Mazzie Daius
Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguo
Basic Beliefs
optimist
As a child I had several hobbies. Models of all sorts, woodwork and woodcraft, metal work, graphic arts of all sorts, sports mainly of the running and throwing kind, even collecting like stamps, coins, artifacts, and of course my adult favorites driving and listening to the radio and yard sales.

Now as driving becomes ever more hazardous the latter two and the physical ones become less appealing, even scary.

I'm still interested, I think, in modelling, hand woodcraft and art. Tried watercolor just before my youngest was murdered. Gave it up when that depressed.

I think I'm back.

So if you can thing of something outside cloth and yarn work that sounds interesting I'd appreciate we discuss them. I'm a pretty good learner and I'm not always a naybob. So here's a chance for me to tool up on positive discussions and searches for practical tasks with material outcomes.

So thanks to super cheese Ziprhead I have a place to ask and try.

First, what about woodworking like with wooden birds both just the carved using wood as the art and using fine grained wood and paint. I've collected a few of them by NW and Japanese artists and some of my friends have joined woodcarving groups. Before I begin, though I think I need a bit of backgroupd and method so I can evaluate the task against my physical and mental skills.

Any suggestions? Pretend I'm a complete novice.

As a child I had several hobbies. Models of all sorts, woodwork and woodcraft, metal work, graphic arts of all sorts, sports mainly of the running and throwing kind, even collecting like stamps, coins, artifacts, and of course my adult favorites driving and listening to the radio and yard sales.

Now as driving becomes ever more hazardous the latter two and the physical ones become less appealing, even scary.

I'm still interested, I think, in modelling, hand woodcraft and art. Tried watercolor just before my youngest was murdered. Gave it up when that depressed.

I think I'm back.

So if you can thing of something outside cloth and yarn work that sounds interesting I'd appreciate we discuss them. I'm a pretty good learner and I'm not always a naybob. So here's a chance for me to tool up on positive discussions and searches for practical tasks with material outcomes.

So thanks to super cheese Ziprhead I have a place to ask and try.

First, what about woodworking like with wooden birds both just the carved using wood as the art and using fine grained wood and paint. I've collected a few of them by NW and Japanese artists and some of my friends have joined woodcarving groups. Before I begin, though I think I need a bit of backgroupd and method so I can evaluate the task against my physical and mental skills.

Any suggestions? Pretend I'm a complete novice.

Do you have any interests related to music? As a kid I played the flute and endeavored to teach myself the piano. I used to use it not just to pass the time or for the escapism but also to try and form my own instrumental pieces after a while.

Its the only hobby I want to get back to considering how self isolated and physically damaged my current conditions leave me. Also horse back riding, which while considered a rugged dangerous sport has never been anything less than enjoyable.

And then I write as well. I fancied making a living from it once upon a time but since that failure I still write, poetry, short stories and novels. I just don't make the mistake of sharing them with anyone ever again so it stays safe and keeps me safe and healthy too.

The only woodwork I've ever done was in shop class. I needed more tools than I've ever been able to procure on my own an only concentrated on making utility type objects with my own beveled detail work either with a burning tool or just a small gauged type lathing tool. (I forget their individual names).

For me it was harder to focus on the wood grain and tools in a way to create something rather than mess up and damage the piece, which was far easier to do than with other art-forms. You can paint over or erase work done on sketch pad or canvas far more often than with wood cutting/caring/burning tools. But that's me and my issues maintaining steady pressure when needed or exerting more force than I could manage, more because my muscle and nerve strength were not there yet and now I wouldn't try since my muscle and nerve issues would men relying on extra tool lie arm braces I cannot make and so will never get ahold of.

But if you've the skill and strength for it I could suggest looking for tutorials online, and maybe sitting in on one of the groups your friend joined when they discuss method and tools.

What about buildings for model trains? I have a house here.

Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.

Bilby and I bought this place because it has a train set building. A demountable annex that we plan to put a train set into.

I've been thinking that making dollhouse furniture might be a fun hobby. There's so many different arts that can be used in the process. Tiny beaded lampshades, tiny lace thread afghans, tiny toothpick picture frames, tiny painted popsicle stick tables...

Not a hobby I can start any time soon, but eventually.

I've been thinking that making dollhouse furniture might be a fun hobby. There's so many different arts that can be used in the process. Tiny beaded lampshades, tiny lace thread afghans, tiny toothpick picture frames, tiny painted popsicle stick tables...

Oh, that sounds fun! I think making the doll house alone would be amazing! Then to decorate each room!

Oh, that sounds fun! I think making the doll house alone would be amazing! Then to decorate each room!

All the fun of buying and decorating a real house but much cheaper!

I like to kidnap Republican legislators, tie them up, and molest them by jamming Star Wars figurines in their rectums.

Does this count as a hobby?

More importantly, what I am doing is legal, isn't it? I probably should have checked first before starting, but you know how it is when you get excited about a new project[ent]hellip[/ent]

Do you have any interests related to music?

Thanks for mentioning music. I actually have tried to learn fiddling and keyboarding. Bride and I took two classes in fiddle for beginners here in speederfundus from a ms Castle. She is quite good. My daughter her husband and Nico our grandson are the only ones who've spent time on them though. The adults are well trained and Nico whats to be like mommy and daddy. So I have some basic tools and music for that as well as kids willing to tolerate dad trying. I've tried using music writing programs and had studied some very basic music theory. Making new music is fun but from what I write it sounds pretty bad. Maybe I'll try again.

As you know technical skill and precision are required for satisfying output from traditional instruments. So If I can still discipline myself music might join projects I consider and try.

I've thought about this too. Amazing how atheist minds work. I have a fair amount of balsa and a Dremel tool set around somewhere. Mostly I'm restricted to Lincoln logs since my daughter doesn't want Nico to use them when he's got Legos. Neither them nor an erector set. OK better for me.

I feel like I should be doing all this stuff. However I think I'll try to be more social in my new hobby. Out here that means either quilting or woodworking. Still .... ....

I like to kidnap Republican legislators, tie them up, and molest them by jamming Star Wars figurines in their rectums.

Does this count as a hobby?

Who cares whether it's legal. Think of it as a virtual hobby. You build a model of your target repbulicasshole and jam the figurines up it's clay arse part. Then you show them of Instagram or Facebook or even Twitter. You don't need to do the electronic stuff actually. I'm thinking the virtual operation would be curative enough.

Lock Picking - huge fun... It's basically solving a mechanical puzzle. There is competitive lock picking in the UK - called Locksport. In the US, lock pick tools are not illegal (as long as you are not caught committing a crime with them), they are very cheap ($25 for a basic set), and you can find locks to pick everywhere... (start with Master padlocks - once you can get a Master open in less than 10 seconds, move on to real locks - Brinks, anything made in Germany...) a lifetime to master the best locks.. plenty of youtube how-to videos.
Only downside is that once you realize how easy it is to pick an average lock, you are going to end up buying new locks for your doors... and not from Homedepot or Lowes either.

A friend of mine challenged me to get into his locked shed. I told him to time me. Before he got his phone out of his pocket, I was in. The look on his face was priceless.

Lock Picking - huge fun... It's basically solving a mechanical puzzle. There is competitive lock picking in the UK - called Locksport. In the US, lock pick tools are not illegal (as long as you are not caught committing a crime with them), they are very cheap ($25 for a basic set), and you can find locks to pick everywhere... (start with Master padlocks - once you can get a Master open in less than 10 seconds, move on to real locks - Brinks, anything made in Germany...) a lifetime to master the best locks.. plenty of youtube how-to videos.
Only downside is that once you realize how easy it is to pick an average lock, you are going to end up buying new locks for your doors... and not from Homedepot or Lowes either.

A friend of mine challenged me to get into his locked shed. I told him to time me. Before he got his phone out of his pocket, I was in. The look on his face was priceless.

How difficult are cars?

How difficult are cars?

Depends... some are "only twice as hard" because you are only dealing with a second pin set. some are nearly impossible without a specially designed tool. And some pop right open using a simple bump key.

I only pick locks that I own or that I know are owned by the person asking me to pick it, and I wouldn't want to damage my car

The fun hobby aspect of lock picking is working with "secure" pin tumbler locks. Pin tumblers make up about 80% of all locks.. .and the other 20% use basically the same principle, except without pins. The "secure" aspect of the pins is where the manufacturer specifically designs the shape of the pins such that it challenges the lock picker by giving "false feedback" - like milling a groove into the side of a pin so it catches on the break line, instead of clearing it.. and feels cleared to the inexperienced picker. Without security pins, a lock can be picked in seconds (I am barely intermediate in skill and can open any "smooth" pin tumbler lock in about 5 seconds.... literally 4 or 5 hand movements to pop it open. Once I open a lock once, I can open it repeatedly in about 1 second... not because I am good.. because most locks are just that bad.

The whole "sport" is very "touchy feely"... its all about feeling the pins and finding the one that is binding the cylinder and then manipulating it with your tool just past the break line... then find the next pin, then the next, then.. POP!

It is SO satisfying.

PS - this is a sport, not a practical utility... it is far easier to smash a window, kick down a door, or use large bolt cutters... the whole point of this is non-destructive entry.

How difficult are cars?

Depends... some are "only twice as hard" because you are only dealing with a second pin set. some are nearly impossible without a specially designed tool. And some pop right open using a simple bump key.

I only pick locks that I own or that I know are owned by the person asking me to pick it, and I wouldn't want to damage my car

The fun hobby aspect of lock picking is working with "secure" pin tumbler locks. Pin tumblers make up about 80% of all locks.. .and the other 20% use basically the same principle, except without pins. The "secure" aspect of the pins is where the manufacturer specifically designs the shape of the pins such that it challenges the lock picker by giving "false feedback" - like milling a groove into the side of a pin so it catches on the break line, instead of clearing it.. and feels cleared to the inexperienced picker. Without security pins, a lock can be picked in seconds (I am barely intermediate in skill and can open any "smooth" pin tumbler lock in about 5 seconds.... literally 4 or 5 hand movements to pop it open. Once I open a lock once, I can open it repeatedly in about 1 second... not because I am good.. because most locks are just that bad.

The whole "sport" is very "touchy feely"... its all about feeling the pins and finding the one that is binding the cylinder and then manipulating it with your tool just past the break line... then find the next pin, then the next, then.. POP!

It is SO satisfying.

PS - this is a sport, not a practical utility... it is far easier to smash a window, kick down a door, or use large bolt cutters... the whole point of this is non-destructive entry.

Very cool. And there ARE many situations where a non-destructive entry is a preferred solution. Elsewhere I commented on the obsolescence of manual skillsets, but this one seems relatively exempt.
I can definitely see its therapeutic value too.

I've thought about picture framing for later in life. I've gotten pictures framed twice and have muttered expletives under my breath both times at the quote. Could be a nice hobby that might make a bit of money too.

I've used my Dremel more frequently as time has past. They make a lot of very useful bits for their basic rotary tool. I'm currently using their tungsten bit to shave metal from my bicycle fork to make more space for some wooden bicycle fenders I bought. Woody's, over in Bend makes some nice fenders. That's a good niche to be in. If you want nice fenders for a bicycle, there are no other options I'm aware of.

It is SO satisfying.

Very cool. And there ARE many situations where a non-destructive entry is a preferred solution. Elsewhere I commented on the obsolescence of manual skillsets, but this one seems relatively exempt.
I can definitely see its therapeutic value too.

Ya, I noticed that conversation and see what you mean... no fewer locksmiths out there today than yesterday... more, if anything.
and with increased technology, come more varied and specialized locksmiths.., in cyber security, the hacker is the picker... which explains why in my field so many people have tinkered with lock picking in their lifetime.

If you can't pick a lock, you can't design a pick-proof lock. That is one of the reasons that Locksport is supported by the manufacturers... pickers are the white hat hackers of physical security. Manufacturers want to know their flaws so they can design better locks. That is not always the case with software companies... but the philosophy is the same. Fucking Bill Gates set the industry down the wrong path for decades.

"Manipulative hobbies"?
Have you thought of trying to influence an election in another country through social media? That seems pretty manipulative to me.

Don't you know people get correctness police waivers when the turn 75 on most fora.

It's kind of a nice for a thought task though where one can conceptually waive morality of most any stripe.

Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom