• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Male patients asked if they are pregnant at NHS Trust

Nothing has changed, men cannot get pregnant.

Wail away, the world does not revolve around incoherent diktats that authoritarians come up with.
Some things have changed though.

And the people wailing about it are male authoritarians who don't like change.
Tom

Nurse: Mister Smith, are you pregnant?
Mr. Smith: Eh?! Don't be daft, next question.
Nurse: Mister Smith, I must ask you again, ARE YOU PREGNANT?!
Mr. Smith: Are you stupid?
Nurse: I know, it seems silly, but if you could just go along with it it would make life so much easier.
Mr. Smith: Do one.

Wokesters be like "Waaaaaaahhhhhhh"

Mister Smith be like "Stupid bastards, thinking I would go along with this shit."
Is there any world or any possibility where Mr. Smith could be something other than an asshole?
Or must the Mr. Smith's of this world be treated like delicate little flowers of privilege forever?
Mister Smith lives in the real world and does not suffer fools gladly.
However do the Mr. Smiths of this world live with themselves, then?

Maybe that's why they are so unhappy.

Don't you worry about the Mister Smiths of this world, they are very happy. Laughing like fuck at this nonsense and dismissing it out of hand while the authoritarians wail.
Authoritarians wailing? That sounds like the Old White Man guard bemoaning that things are changing and the world no longer revolves around him.

Laugh away. Much better than trying to squish everyone else under your heels.
Nothing has changed, men cannot get pregnant.

Wail away, the world does not revolve around incoherent diktats that authoritarians come up with.
The wailing you are hearing is your own voice, and Metaphor’s.

The world does not revolve around you. I realize this is a shock to you but it never did and never will.

The world does not revolve around you. I realize this is a shock to you but it never did and never will.

You are the one trying to contort reality to revolve around made up bullshit and demanding others "go along with" such made up bullshit. Trying to bully, scold and shame people into conforming. I know how much it frustrates you and that's what makes it so darned hilarious. You can stamp your feet and scream and scream and scream all you like, the oiks are just not buying into this line of bullshit.

Last edited:

You are the one trying to contort reality to revolve around made up bullshit and demanding others "go along with" such made up bullshit. Trying to bully, scold and shame people into conforming. I know how much it frustrates you and that's what makes it so darned hilarious. You can stamp your feet and scream and scream and scream all you like, the oiks are just not buying into this line of bullshit.
I think you have me confused with someone else.

Do you think men couldn't be embarrassed by that, or merely that their feelings do not count?
You discount trans people's feeling almost constantly.
So what is your opinion?

Should people's feelings count, or not? Do some people's feelings count and others not count?
A false dichotomy lined up behind the false paradox of tolerance.

It is exactly the case that there is an observable, sensible geometry as to whose feelings "count":

When your feelings pertain to feeling bad because you are intolerant, your intolerance does not, cannot in good faith ask for tolerance.

When your feelings pertain to feeling bad because you are tolerant yet not being tolerated, you can in good faith insist on tolerance, as the intolerance can it in good faith ask to be tolerated.
Thanks for the non-answer. Should the feelings of men who feel embarrassed or concerned about being asked if they are pregnant count?

Do you think men couldn't be embarrassed by that, or merely that their feelings do not count?
So what is your opinion?

Should people's feelings count, or not? Do some people's feelings count and others not count?
You tell us.

Should the possible discomfort of some men outweighs the potential medical benefit of universal questions in a medical setting?
It depends on what is on each side of the equation.

As far as I can tell, the right hand side - the potential medical benefit - is zero.

Change is hard. It almost always causes some degree of discomfort on the part of everyone. Usually more for those who believe they are experiencing a disproportionate share of the discomfort. Or who are not used to experiencing any discomfort at all.
Who in Gospa's creation has not experienced discomfort at all?

I think you have me confused with someone else.
No, you were definitely the one banging on about old white males and such nonsense. I don't think the kids are using the "old white man" snark these days.

Great news! Men are uncomfortable about the health of their colon and prostate. So, no more questions (or uncomfortable procedures) regarding that. And talk about something to make one potentially uncomfortable! Coal miners are uncomfortable about their lung health. Great news! Just say "pass".
In what universe does asking if men's feelings count translate to 'men should never be asked questions that make them umcomfortable?'

So what is your opinion?

It is exactly the case that there is an observable, sensible geometry as to whose feelings "count":

When your feelings pertain to feeling bad because you are intolerant, your intolerance does not, cannot in good faith ask for tolerance.

When your feelings pertain to feeling bad because you are tolerant yet not being tolerated, you can in good faith insist on tolerance, as the intolerance can it in good faith ask to be tolerated.
Thanks for the non-answer. Should the feelings of men who feel embarrassed or concerned about being asked if they are pregnant count?
One needs to clarify what they mean by "count". Then relevant question is to what degree do different constituencies feeling count.

So what is your opinion?

Not at all. Zero. Because it is either ask "them" whoever it is you think you are talking about, or not ask "those other folks" who look very much like "them" who may be pregnant.

In addition, it is either ask "them" a question that doesn't imply anything about their genitals, or ask them a question that does imply something about their genitals as a proxy for what you want to know, or hell, just "look at them" and then assume that "observation" was correct.

(imply: if a implies b, then if a, b but b does not mean a; "that they had a penis implies they are not pregnant, but merely by knowing they are not pregnant, one may not know that they have a penis; "she" may be "not pregnant" and "she" may not have a penis.)

It is patently nonsense to pretend that someone has any right to have their offense taken seriously when asked if they are or could be pregnant. Obviously they have the right to offense, but we all have the right of ridicule of that offense, or us ignoring it entirely, treating it like the tantrum of an immature child.

Not at all. Zero. Because it is either ask "them" whoever it is you think you are talking about, or not ask "those other folks" who look very much like "them" who may be pregnant.
Except it's not that. The hospital previously asked only females the question, not people who 'looked like' females.

It is patently nonsense to pretend that someone has any right to have their offense taken seriously when asked if they are or could be pregnant. Obviously they have the right to offense, but we all have the right of ridicule of that offense, or us ignoring it entirely, treating it like the tantrum of an immature child.
So, your answer is no, the feelings in this case do not count.

If I asked you why I should take the offense of a person who has been 'misgendered' seriously, what would you say? Do I have the right to ignore that offense entirely, treating it like the tantrum of an immature child?

I'm regularly asked at my doctor's office about my sex life. The question makes me uncomfortable but I don't create a bitchfest about it on the internet.

The people who cannot understand the difference between being asked personal questions that help safeguard their health and being asked nonsensical questions that don't.

The people who cannot understand the difference between being asked personal questions that help safeguard their health and being asked nonsensical questions that don't.
Not a complete sentence so I’m truly not certain what you’re trying to say here.

I’m routinely asked questions that don’t apply to me —and routinely must bring up issues that DO apply to me. And sometimes have to be fairly adamant because I really don’t live my life off of a form.

I am still not certain why you find it so upsetting that a male could potentially be asked if he is pregnant. Can you please explain that to me? Or, in the event that I missed your answer, can you please direct me to the post(s) that I seem to have forgotten?

So what is your opinion?

They should count exactly as much as the feelings of women, girls, intersex individuals, and everyone else who feel embarrassed or concerned about being asked if they are pregnant.

A personal question that safeguards health: are you pregnant (or may you become pregnant)?

A nonsensical question that does not: are you ("male"/"female")?

One addresses material risk.

The other has like, five or six different meanings, and likely many more depending on brain expression differentiation of "sex" by just as many variables as the rest of it, as @Toni pointed out.

Not a complete sentence so I’m truly not certain what you’re trying to say here.
What a shame for you, as this must mar your experience of reading great literature, some examples of which contain sentence fragments.
I’m routinely asked questions that don’t apply to me —and routinely must bring up issues that DO apply to me. And sometimes have to be fairly adamant because I really don’t live my life off of a form.
So...because you are asked irrelevant questions, there should be no barrier to inflicting irrelevant questions?
I am still not certain why you find it so upsetting that a male could potentially be asked if he is pregnant. Can you please explain that to me? Or, in the event that I missed your answer, can you please direct me to the post(s) that I seem to have forgotten?
I have explained already, more than once, in this thread.

I did not say I would find it upsetting. In my own case, I would find it ludicrous and a pointless waste of my time.

For other men, I imagine some would be amused, some would find it annoying, some would be bewildered, some would be upset, and I can imagine the reasoning and mindset behind all of those reactions. Some might start to regard the hospital with suspicion - as the hospital has shown it doesn't understand basic biological facts. If you do not understand why some men might be upset as being mistaken for women, I suggest you ask yourself why you do claim to understand that being 'misgendered' is distressing.

For trans men, they would probably find it upsetting to be asked, since it would remind them starkly that they are biologically female. Of course, they would be asked about pregnancy under either this new policy or the previous one, so there is no change there.

Outside of the personal feelings of the individuals involved, it may also be embarrassing and potentially dangerous for medical personnel to have to ask. Sometimes, males (usually drug addicts) are prone to violent outbursts (as I witnessed when my mother was in hospital recently) for being asked questions that they perceive to be irrelevant or annoying.

Several NHS Trusts are institutionally captured. This new policy is hardly a surprise. It has nothing to do with patient safeguarding and everything to do with toeing the trans activist narrative. Some NHS hospitals have lied to patients and told them they are on a single-sex female ward, when in fact the wards contain both males who identify as women, and women.

So what is your opinion?

They should count exactly as much as the feelings of women, girls, intersex individuals, and everyone else who feel embarrassed or concerned about being asked if they are pregnant.
Progress.

So, if you had a way to spare about half the population from negative feelings, without any detriment to that half or the half of the population that cannot be spared, isn't that a good thing to do?

Back
Top Bottom