• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mar-a-Largo raided by FBI?

Yeah, my first reaction to 217,217,217 was photoshop. They were covering something up which is of absolutely no surprise given that it was classified material.
My first thought was that papers in the photo were redacted because they were personal papers that were mixed in with the classified documents and the photo was taken to show that they were all stored together. Trump could justifiably sue the FBI if they released personal information to the public in the picture. Maybe someday we'll know the truth.

Found it interesting in Biden's speech that he referred to MAGA as a clear and present danger to the country.

Well, the Donald Trump used his MAGA movement to foment a violent insurrection with the aim of preventing a newly elected president from taking power, and his MAGA supporters have been defending his theft of highly classified national secrets and attempts to obstruct their return to the government. I would call that a clear and present danger to our country.

WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI agents who searched former President Donald Trump’s Florida home last month found empty folders marked with classified banners, according to a more detailed inventory of the seized material made public by the Justice Department on Friday.

The inventory reveals in general terms the contents of 33 boxes taken from Mar-a-Lago, the Trump-owned private club in Palm Beach that also serves as the former president’s residence, during the Aug. 8 search.

It shows the extent to which newspapers, magazines and other items were commingled among documents that investigators say were marked as classified, including at the top-secret level.
43 classified folders empty. Trump is a spy.

Found it interesting in Biden's speech that he referred to MAGA as a clear and present danger to the country.

Well, the Donald Trump used his MAGA movement to foment a violent insurrection with the aim of preventing a newly elected president from taking power, and his MAGA supporters have been defending his theft of highly classified national secrets and attempts to obstruct their return to the government. I would call that a clear and present danger to our country.
I do not disagree!

WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI agents who searched former President Donald Trump’s Florida home last month found empty folders marked with classified banners, according to a more detailed inventory of the seized material made public by the Justice Department on Friday.

The inventory reveals in general terms the contents of 33 boxes taken from Mar-a-Lago, the Trump-owned private club in Palm Beach that also serves as the former president’s residence, during the Aug. 8 search.

It shows the extent to which newspapers, magazines and other items were commingled among documents that investigators say were marked as classified, including at the top-secret level.
It wouldn't surprise me if he always has been.

Could you please cite the 43 folders claim? I didn't see it included in your link.

Could you please cite the 43 folders claim? I didn't see it included in your link.
This link has 48 folders missing contents

Just when we think it can't get worse, it gets worse. Now the chase will be on for the missing files.
So you think the files are missing? Or did he just take folders because, you know trophies.

Of course he could have already sold the files and shredded the evidence.

Just when we think it can't get worse, it gets worse. Now the chase will be on for the missing files.
So you think the files are missing? Or did he just take folders because, you know trophies.

Right. So I have to ask myself … what would I have done in that situation if I was an avaricious, mendacious self adoring asshole?

Christ, even Trump knows how to use a copier. Why would the original docs go missing? They probably had information on them Trump didn’t like or understand so he shredded them thinking doing so would literally make the event/info contained within cease to exist.

I’m sure everything missing/improperly stored has to be assumed to be compromised and appropriate action taken to the extent possible.

Some prominent Republicans are now coming down on MAGA defenders of Donald Trump--for example, Karl Rove and Bill Barr.

Fox News:

Bill Barr slams Trump's special master request as 'red herring' as legal battle with DOJ continues

Meanwhile, those who were most vehement in attacking Hillary Clinton for allegedly allowing classified materials to appear on her private email server now seem to be the most stalwart defenders of Trump's theft and mishandling of some of the nation's most closely guarded secrets. This has to be the worst security breach in the history of the United States. It is impossible to know whether foreign agents were able to access, steal, or copy some of these highly classified materials while they lay strewn about Donald Trump's home in his resort hotel. Trump himself seems to have been pawing through them for over a year and a half. He obviously made no special effort to separate them from other materials that he considered mementos of the four years he spent trashing the US government.

And I thought I had a hoarding problem. sheesh
Nah, only poor people have a hoarding problem.

Rich people have 'a stock of reference material for their future memoirs'. Very rich people have 'a private archive'. Ultra rich people 'endow a private museum'.

The latter is usually even a tax deduction.

Christ, even Trump knows how to use a copier. Why would the original docs go missing? They probably had information on them Trump didn’t like or understand so he shredded them thinking doing so would literally make the event/info contained within cease to exist.

I’m sure everything missing/improperly stored has to be assumed to be compromised and appropriate action taken to the extent possible.
Right. There is a record attending every one of these documents. Lots of those documents and empty folders were in his working office just lying around with other things. It's not like someone just ratted him out about these documents. The memorabilia stuff is one thing, but documents have a paper trail. They had obviously been handled quite a bit since arriving there in boxes, if in fact that is how they arrived there. Obviously many were there before then. At least that would be my take.

It's not like he hasn't revealed state secrets before.

Lindsey Graham Predicts ‘Riots in the Streets’ if Trump Is Prosecuted - The New York Times - "Senator Lindsey Graham drew a comparison between the investigation of former President Donald J. Trump and a decision not to prosecute Hillary Clinton over using a private server."

Ahead of Biden Speech, McCarthy Embraces Trump After Mar-a-Lago Search - The New York Times
That's House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy
he top House Republican, who has seen his party’s chances of sweeping into the majority dim in recent weeks, painted the November elections as a referendum on Mr. Biden’s presidency and said that it was the current president who had “launched an assault on our democracy” with policies that had “severely wounded America’s soul.”

“Joe Biden is right: Democracy is on the ballot in November,” Mr. McCarthy said. “And Joe Biden and the radical left in Washington are dismantling Americans’ democracy before our very eyes.”

Using one of Mr. Trump’s favorite tactics, Mr. McCarthy falsely equated Mr. Biden’s conduct with actions that Mr. Trump himself has taken.

“Joe Biden and a politicized Department of Justice launched a raid on the home of his top political rival, Donald Trump,” Mr. McCarthy said. “That is an assault on democracy.”
The article then went into how that FBI raid was proceeded by a year and a half of failed efforts to recover those documents. Not the action of some anti-democratic ogre.
Still, Mr. McCarthy said Mr. Biden was at fault. He demanded that the president “apologize for slandering tens of millions of Americans as fascists,” a reference to comments that Mr. Biden made at a recent fund-raiser in Maryland denouncing “extreme MAGA philosophy” as akin to “semi-fascism.”

“I respect conservative Republicans,” Mr. Biden said. “I don’t respect these MAGA Republicans.”
Nothing will satisfy the Republicans, it seems. Which makes it good that President Biden has decided to be more combative toward them.

Back
Top Bottom