• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

The first vote was a single-round one: Steve Scalise 51.4%, Jim Jordan 45.0%, others 3.6%

But then 6 R'd said that they would not be voting for SS, a totally unprecedented step, and SS withdrew.

The second vote was also single-round: Jim Jordan 58.5%, Austin Scott 38.2%, others 3.3%

This was followed by a vote to send JJ to the full House: Yes 73.4%, No 26.6%

After three votes where JJ got almost but not quite enough votes to win, the R's voted on whether he should continue or stop. Stop 56.6%, Retain 43.4%

Then the first multiround vote.
  • Pete Sessions 3.7%
  • Jack Bergman 7.4%, 3.3%
  • Austin Scott 8.4%, 6.5%, 5.6%
  • Kevin Hern 12.6%, 14.4%, 12.0%, 11.5%
  • Byron Donalds 13.5%, 15.3%, 14.8%, 11.5% withdrew
  • Mike Johnson 15.8%, 17.2%, 19.9%, 25.8%, 44.3%
  • Tom Emmer 36.3%, 41.9%, 46.3%, 49.3%, 53.4%

Then on who to send to the full House: Tom Emmer 90.6%, Jim Jordan 7.0%, Mike Johnson 1.9%, Byron Donalds 0.5%, Present 5, Not Voting 6

That was almost but not quite enough for him to win, and Donald Trump vilified him on Truth Social, so he withdrew after 4 hours.

Then another multiround vote.
  • Chuck Fleischmann 5.0%
  • Roger Williams 10.4%, 9.9%
  • Mark Green 11.4%, 10.3% withdrew
  • Byron Donalds 15.8%, 15.3%, 14.4%
  • Mike Johnson 42.1%, 47.8%, 63.7%

MJ got 100% of the vote for advancing to the full House, with Present 3, Not Voting 22.

Mike Johnson picked as new GOP speaker nominee just hours after Tom Emmer drops bid | CNN Politics

The rounds of voting:
  • Chuck Fleischmann was eliminated
  • Roger Williams was eliminated, Mark Green withdrew
  • Byron Donalds was eliminated
  • Mike Johnson won
MJ won 100% of the votes for someone to advance to the full House, though 3 voted present, and 22 did not vote.

Mike Johnson placed second in the previous multiround vote, with Byron Donalds just behind him in both votes, and the only other one in both votes.
Johnson could get Boebert as his assistant to give him a hand.

:rimshot:

They do seem to think they have the votes this time.

And they look united and ready to take their responsibilities seriously and to lead.

Reactions from the other chamber.

Oh good. An insurrectionist. Now we can get along with burning the place down for Trump.

Oh good. An insurrectionist. Now we can get along with burning the place down for Trump.
Yeah the narrative seems to have shifted to "if they can just get a Speaker seated, everything will be okay! Right?"

Remember: McCarthy is no longer Speaker because he made a deal with the Democrats to keep the government open a bit longer. The Poo-Flinging Monkey Caucus wants a shutdown. They will not compromise.

Over halfway, no other votes. Johnson seems to have broken through the barrier.

He won.

Young earth creationist, supported overturning the election, said atheists from California were spying on a Louisiana high school, doesn't believe in anthropogenic global warming, wants to overturn same-sex marriage, and federally make all abortions illegal including even at fertilization, did I mention he supported overturning democratic election results?, and worst of all, he appeared in a video with Kirk Cameron! I mean, Kirk Cameron!

The Democrats must be absolutely thrilled. They joined forces with the far-right to oust McCarthy, essentially rolling out the red carpet and saying 'by all means, choose your candidate' to the far-right. And who did they chose? Mike Johnson. Fucking brilliant.

And just to clarify, I'm not pointing fingers at the Democrats for the actions of the Republicans; rather, I'm pissed for their lack of foresight and failure to anticipate this entirely predictable event. An insurrectionist once again becoming a major authority figure.

I surmise that they are operating under the assumption that adhering to the traditional forms of opposition against the Republican agenda will lead to improved outcomes.

Succumbed to the classic Hollywood ruse, wherein the protagonist is led to believe their actions are self-beneficial, only to discover at the film’s climax that they’ve inadvertently been aiding the antagonist all along.

He won.

Young earth creationist, supported overturning the election, said atheists from California were spying on a Louisiana high school, doesn't believe in anthropogenic global warming, wants to overturn same-sex marriage, and federally make all abortions illegal including even at fertilization, did I mention he supported overturning democratic election results?, and worst of all, he appeared in a video with Kirk Cameron! I mean, Kirk Cameron!
When the government shutdown happens:

"I was ready to work with the Democrats, but they didn't see the wisdom of impeaching Joe Biden, cutting off all aid to Ukraine, passing a resolution praising Putin, banning abortion and birth control nationwide, so if they can't compromise on those reasonable demands, then how can we work with them? This government shutdown is all the fault of the Democrats."

He won.

I can't help picturing Biden, leaning back in his Oval Office chair, chuckling at:
The last act is beginning. My question is “when will Congressional Republicans get the message”?

View attachment 44551

We'll see what the polls look like in a couple of months.
Tom

McCarthy was a wolf in sheep's clothing. A go-getter who worked his way up through the ranks but kept giving in to the Reich. This new guy is a wolf in wolf's clothing. He won't even occasionally pretend.

The Democrats must be absolutely thrilled. They joined forces with the far-right to oust McCarthy, essentially rolling out the red carpet and saying 'by all means, choose your candidate' to the far-right. And who did they chose? Mike Johnson. Fucking brilliant.
I agree with this. It was a stupid move for all Dems to join 8 MAGAs to remove McCarthy. They put party over country.
I disagree with Jimmy and Elixir. McCarthy will prove to be a lot easier to work with than Johnson. Dems got a favorable debt ceiling and short term continuing resolution under him. I doubt they will get nearly as much under Johnson.
Succumbed to the classic Hollywood ruse, wherein the protagonist is led to believe their actions are self-beneficial, only to discover at the film’s climax that they’ve inadvertently been aiding the antagonist all along.
Yes.

Mike Lawler is a New York Republican.

I agree with this. It was a stupid move for all Dems to join 8 MAGAs to remove McCarthy. They put party over country.

You think that the Dems put party over country?
Despite the fact that Gaetz started this and the Republican members kept the fires going for weeks?

Lemme give you a clue.
Gaetz is a Republican.
MTG, who said she would only vote for Trump as Speaker, is also a Republican.

Republicans have consistently made it clear that they would only vote for Speaker candidates who oppose U.S. democratic institutions like the Electoral College.

And you still think it's the Democrats who are putting party over country?
Bullshit

Partisan bullshit.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom