• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Me Too" Judge Roy Moore

I do not think the US treatment of consensual sex in this case is in any way sane. If they engaged in consensual sex, I do not think that should be treated tantamount to rape just because of some arbitrary cutoff, nor do I think it should torpedo a political career 38 years later.

Why don't we do this, for starters: have some intrepid journalist delve into cases prosecuted or heard by Roy, to see if he ever went after or sentenced anyone because they violated that "arbitrary" cutoff. Just for some perspective.

I reckon that if someone who opposes his election to the Senate actually "has the goods" on him, they'd realize that the propitious time to release it would be a day or few prior to the election, rather than now.

If Moore was black, I imagine Derec's head would explode.
I think your head would unzip. Do you attack him for his "toxic masculinity" or is he an innocent victim of racist attacks because he is black.

I would attack him for his "toxic masculinity". I don't care what color his skin is.

Why don't we do this, for starters: have some intrepid journalist delve into cases prosecuted or heard by Roy, to see if he ever went after or sentenced anyone because they violated that "arbitrary" cutoff. Just for some perspective.

I reckon that if someone who opposes his election to the Senate actually "has the goods" on him, they'd realize that the propitious time to release it would be a day or few prior to the election, rather than now.
Not if the people who want him out are the GOP.

I think your head would unzip. Do you attack him for his "toxic masculinity" or is he an innocent victim of racist attacks because he is black.

I would attack him for his "toxic masculinity". I don't care what color his skin is.

Well, that's the difference between you, and a real 'Murrikin.

I'm just amazed at the mental gymnastics it takes to dismiss molesting a 14-year-old as not a big deal. Especially when coming from someone who demonizes people for things like having traces of drugs in their system or wearing their pants too low.

Who molested anybody?
From the OP link
. None of the women say that Moore forced them into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.

Holy shit your bias is showing so hard you have to selectively edit quotes?

The full quote you butchered is:

Aside from Corfman, three other women interviewed by The Washington Post in recent weeks say Moore pursued them when they were between the ages of 16 and 18 and he was in his early 30s, episodes they say they found flattering at the time, but troubling as they got older. None of the three women say that Moore forced them into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.

Whereas:

Days later, she says, he picked her up around the corner from her house in Gadsden, drove her about 30 minutes to his home in the woods, told her how pretty she was and kissed her. On a second visit, she says, he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.

“I wanted it over with — I wanted out,” she remembers thinking. “Please just get this over with. Whatever this is, just get it over.”

She was 14 and he was 32.

Stolen from a comedian: In a shocking turn of events, the role of Roy Moore in the Alabama Senate race will now be played by Christopher Plummer.

user19467_pic11575_1510256653.jpg

Stolen from a comedian: In a shocking turn of events, the role of Roy Moore in the Alabama Senate race will now be played by Christopher Plummer.
The news is being almost specifically written for comedians, and they still have to goof it up.

Exactly. It's a character assassination. As such it doesn't have much to do with the law, contrary to objections of some other posters.
It was consensual sex. Big deal!
Not with the 14 year old.

Because I think these allegations are pretty trivial.
Unsurprisingly, statutory rape of a female is trivial in Derec's world.

It would be very unlikely that there are any witnesses to any relevant acts (people usually have sex in private) and even if there were, memories get murky after such a long time. That includes the accuser herself.
Non-responsive - you don't know what people remember or have as evidence. Why not

How do you propose to prove it? Because the burden of proof should be on her, not on him....
I don't have to prove anything. Any investigation needs to come up with information, not me. It will be up to the court of public opinion to weigh the evidence.

Just because you have difficulties comprehending anything more complex than "me too", doesn't mean that I am "babbling".
No, bringing robbing banks and murdering police is babbling. Roy Moore's character is a legitimate concern to the voters of Alabama. It is up to them to decide what is trivial or important. Neither mine nor yours are. But feel free to continue to trivial these potential disgusting revelations.

So it seems like it was a consensual relationship, and the only thing wrong was that she was a year and a half or so younger than the arbitrary legal threshold. Looking at the  age of consent map, it looks like the young prosecutor and even younger Miss Leigh would have been fine in much of Latin America and even Europe. And as far as the other two girls, they were legal, so no problem there.

It is also predicated on the woman telling the entire truth. I am not saying she is lying, but we do not know one way of the other. She could also be mostly telling the truth, but embellishing key points, such as her level of aggressiveness.

This #metoo nonsense is putting Democrats in danger of becoming more puritan than Republicans. Everything is "harassment" or "assault" these days.

Roy Moore was a pedophile. Suck it up. It is going to be interesting to watch this unfold and if it will sink the old bastard's election effort. That will be December 12. How much sleaze will the Alabama electorate tolerate?

Pedophiles go after children--those who haven't gone through puberty yet. He went after those at or just below the age of consent. Creepy but not pedophilia.

Except that this was in the US and Moore is a lawyer. Apparently you feel it is okay to disregard the law.
I did not say that. What I was saying is that the law is pretty arbitrary here.
Also, it supposedly happened almost 40 years ago and is based on one woman's say-so.
There are plenty of legitimate points against Roy Moore, without engaging in this witch hunt.

1. "arbitrary law" is immaterial. It IS the law and Moore was attorney (and then a judge and now wants to be a Senator). He, even more than people like you, has a duty to uphold the law.
2. Three women, plus contemporaneous confirmations for each of the three women.
3. Not a "witch hunt"

...in my observation, there are always more.

Or at least, almost always.

I'm just amazed at the mental gymnastics it takes to dismiss molesting a 14-year-old as not a big deal. Especially when coming from someone who demonizes people for things like having traces of drugs in their system or wearing their pants too low.

^^^ that

In Alabama, state auditor Jim Ziegler reportedly brushed aside the claims, blaming The Washington Post for “desperately trying to get something negative” before citing biblical couples that had wide age gaps.

“Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said, according to the Examiner. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/po...sus-parents/INmUJVZPikYxbMt6g0oUXO/story.html

We need a religious test for office... if you are religious, you don't hold public office :rolleyes:

Who molested anybody?
From the OP link
. None of the women say that Moore forced them into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.

The 14 year old was too intimidated to protest. After the incident where a 32 year old man removed her shirt and pants and fondled her and tried to get her to fondle him, she managed to avoid being alone with him after that.

Granted he did not use physical force. I don't discount this: there was not an actual rape. Best case scenario he was an emotionally immature man who was too intimidated as/or socially awkward to approach a woman who was age appropriate or even of legal age. The question is why should we believe he has matured since then in any way.

Back
Top Bottom