• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Michael Brown Shooting and Aftermath

Do you really think Wilson preferred to have Brown dead rather than arrested?

Considering the number of bullets that were fired, it's not hard to imagine why one would think that yes he did prefer that.

Officer Darren Wilson testified before the Grand Jury

ST. LOUIS (KTVI) – Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson reportedly testified before the Grand Jury Tuesday. It would be the fourth time Wilson has given his account of the shooting of an unarmed Michael Brown. None of those accounts are yet public. Wilson has given several interviews with police and now yesterday’s reported testimony before the Grand Jury. The St. Louis Post Dispatch reported that officer Wilson talked to grand jurors for four hours.

and

A grand jury has until January 7 to decide whether or not to bring criminal charges against Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson, who shot unarmed teenager Michael Brown to death on August 9, reports STLToday.com.
St. Louis County Circuit Judge Carolyn Whittington extended the usual four-month period for which the panel sits, which expired last week, and now the grand jury has an additional 60 days to make a decision.
“She extended it to the full amount allowed by law,” said Court Administrator Paul Fox said.

Odds for an indictment?

I like how the pro-officer does no wrong side has been quite confident in what happened when the shooting officer's side of the story has yet to even be public.

Officer Darren Wilson testified before the Grand Jury

and

A grand jury has until January 7 to decide whether or not to bring criminal charges against Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson, who shot unarmed teenager Michael Brown to death on August 9, reports STLToday.com.
St. Louis County Circuit Judge Carolyn Whittington extended the usual four-month period for which the panel sits, which expired last week, and now the grand jury has an additional 60 days to make a decision.
“She extended it to the full amount allowed by law,” said Court Administrator Paul Fox said.

Odds for an indictment?
4:1 with 1.5:1 odds of a plea bargain acceptance within one week of indictment.

Update: forensic evidence has been released that proves Michael Brown was initially shot within the police car. He got his blood onto the door panel, the gun and even Wilson's uniform.
Michael Brown's blood found on gun and officer's uniform: reports
The article also says that Brown punched and scratched the police officer.
I do not know how this evidence will sway the grand jury but I think it diminishes the likelihood of any federal charges. It's difficult to claim the shooting was racial if Brown attacked Wilson moments before being shot dead.

I dont think this "racial" stuff should be in the law, we are intimidated by these type of people for good reason. Murder is murder. There is no "Racial murder".

Update: forensic evidence has been released that proves Michael Brown was initially shot within the police car. He got his blood onto the door panel, the gun and even Wilson's uniform.
Michael Brown's blood found on gun and officer's uniform: reports
The article also says that Brown punched and scratched the police officer.
I do not know how this evidence will sway the grand jury but I think it diminishes the likelihood of any federal charges. It's difficult to claim the shooting was racial if Brown attacked Wilson moments before being shot dead.

It's kind of late to come up with that kind of story. Two shots fired inside the car and the guy gets out of the car and dies in street. It's funny no one noticed Brown get in the car.

It's kind of late to come up with that kind of story. Two shots fired inside the car and the guy gets out of the car and dies in street. It's funny no one noticed Brown get in the car.
It's not a story, it's forensic evidence. It is also not denying that he was shot outside the vehicle as well, which may or may not have been justified.

It's not a story, it's forensic evidence. It is also not denying that he was shot outside the vehicle as well, which may or may not have been justified.

It's an unconfirmed news report, not forensic evidence. It's a story you want to be true, because it plays to your preconceived notions of what happened. It doesn't sound plausible on the face of it. If this scenario is true, why is it just now being revealed?

This sounds like a report of the Department of You'll Believe Anything.

Does anyone have a link to the full text of Officer Wilson's version of events? All I'm finding are news articles reporting bits and pieces, not the whole thing, and what is being reported is confusing.

For example, was Brown sitting in the car when Wilson says Brown went for Wilson's gun? Was Brown standing at the driver's side window (which is what I originally thought) or on the passenger side and leaned into the car to fight with Wilson? Did Wilson shoot Brown while Brown was in or next to the car, splattering the interior and Wilson's uniform with blood, before Brown ran 25-35 feet from the car and then attempted to surrender?

It's an unconfirmed news report, not forensic evidence.
It's a news report I have no reason to disbelieve and which concerns forensic evidence.
It's a story you want to be true, because it plays to your preconceived notions of what happened.
It's a story you do not want to be true, because it doesn't play to your preconceived notions of what happened.
It doesn't sound plausible on the face of it.
What doesn't sound plausible is lying about an objective fact like which objects blood evidence was found on.
If this scenario is true, why is it just now being revealed?
Because police rarely reveals evidence at once, or soon after the fact.
This sounds like a report of the Department of You'll Believe Anything.
More like Department of You'll Deny Everything ...

Does anyone have a link to the full text of Officer Wilson's version of events? All I'm finding are news articles reporting bits and pieces, not the whole thing, and what is being reported is confusing.

For example, was Brown sitting in the car when Wilson says Brown went for Wilson's gun? Was Brown standing at the driver's side window (which is what I originally thought) or on the passenger side and leaned into the car to fight with Wilson? Did Wilson shoot Brown while Brown was in or next to the car, splattering the interior and Wilson's uniform with blood, before Brown ran 25-35 feet from the car and then attempted to surrender?

This is the day of instant internet news. Reports of reports of reports are considered news. Then someone puts it in a blog, as if it were true. From that point forward, there's a handy link to prove anything.

- - - Updated - - -

More like Department of You'll Deny Everything ...

I'm just not that gullible.

This is the day of instant internet news. Reports of reports of reports are considered news. Then someone puts it in a blog, as if it were true. From that point forward, there's a handy link to prove anything.
Chicago Tribune is not exactly a fly by night operation. And the same facts are being reported elsewhere, including CNN, Washington Post and elsewhere. Are they all being bamboozled at the same time?

There is also a report by the local newspaper that a new witness has testified before the grand jury who is disputing the "hands up don't shoot" version of events.
St. Louis Post-Dispatch said:
Among the recollections of the witness, who agreed to an interview on the condition that his name not be used, were:
• After an initial scuffle in the car, the officer did not fire until Brown turned back toward him.
• Brown put his arms out to his sides but never raised his hands high.
• Brown staggered toward Wilson despite commands to stop.
• The two were about 20 to 25 feet apart when the last shots were fired.
If this witness is speaking the truth then it looks to have been a good shoot.

Of course, if the grand jury returns a "no bill" all hell is likely to break loose in St. Louis. So I wonder if the fix is in to indict Wilson regardless of what evidence or witnesses ultimately say.

Last edited:
I dont think this "racial" stuff should be in the law, we are intimidated by these type of people for good reason. Murder is murder. There is no "Racial murder".

"These type of people"?

Yes, there are racially motivated murders, murders that would not happen if the victim wore another color of skin. Yes, people have been murdered because they were black or white or Asian, or more accurately, they were murdered because of the beliefs about race in the heads of the murderers.

The only "type of people" in these murderous cop scenarios that intimidate me are the police.

This doesnt help the officer's case.

if anything, if suggests that at the time the fatal shots were fired, the officer was in a heightened state of anxiety and not behaving in a professional or rational manner. IOW, when the officer unloaded his gun into Brown, one could argue he was enraged with an intent not to control the situation but to kill Michael Brown

Brown does attempt to leave the scene, does attempt to surrender, thus dropping the level of danger for the officer. At a point when he was not in danger, he still unloaded multiple shots into an unarmed Michael Brown.

It is undeniable that a succession of shots occurred and within a distance of about 25 feet from the vehicle following whichever incident occurred between Officer Wilson and Michael Brown, the only time they would have been in close physical proximity and contact. What will influence the Grand Jury's decision is not what presumably happened in the vehicle, rather whether there are witnesses who can corroborate each other's description of the distance shooting to include fatal shots at a time Michael Brown would have used the universal sign for surrender, meaning his hands up. Witnesses of extreme importance and relevance would be what I had documented previously, a video taken right after the shooting showing the spontaneous reaction and verbally communicated of a contractor on site who clearly exclaimed his shock having witnessed Brown having his hands up at the time Officer Wilson pursued to fatally shoot Michael Brown.

To note there is absolutely nothing which could point to a racial bias on the part of this contractor. Nothing pointing to his being related in any way to Brown or members of the Ferguson's community. Meaning a highly credible witness of the shooting.

That specific is what is to determine whether Officer Wilson can rely on a self defense based claim.

AFAICT, there is no conflict with what Dorian Johnson said happened at the car. But the media is reporting it as supporting Wilson's version.

Back
Top Bottom