• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Military spending vs societal benefits

FFS, my entire fucking family is military, my husband was fucking deployed! I don't approve of atrocities, and the fact that you can't seem to envision an approach of highly directed aggression that doesn't involve war crimes says a fuck-ton of a lot more about you and your fucked up brain than anything at all about me.
Have you ever thought about how your family would be without the need for military, how their lives would have been different, no doubt better? I would think you would prefer that. My family is four generations military but I sure would have preferred we all had different lives. I think we'd all prefer to have not waged WW2 or any conflict and spent those resources differently, not to mention the loss of life. I think that's what the OP is getting at. Will humans ever get there?
They wouldn't have been better. Without the military, the vast majority of my family wouldn't have been able to get any post secondary education, and would still be abysmally poor stuck in a small town. My family also, by the way, would have been significantly less diverse. It was military service that presented exposure to different ethnicities, different beliefs, different cultures. The military is pretty much directly responsible for the majority of my cousins being a lovely shade of ambiguity brown, as well as having respect for people from different cultures and care for people from different economic and social backgrounds.
For my family? My maternal grandfather was disabled in WWI, which further set up his wife and subsequent children for poverty during the Great Depression. The family moved thousands of miles at least twice, looking for a better climate and work. He died when my mom was 10. My grandmother had supported her family scrubbing floors. She later remarried and they lived on a modest farm. All of my uncles on both sides of the family were in the military during the end days of WWII. One uncle did go back and finish high school and get a university degree in the GI bill. Another uncle and 3 of his 4 surviving children lived in poverty his entire life. Another became a postmaster in his tiny town—perhaps aided by his veteran status. His oldest son and one cousin on the other side of the family were in Viet Nam, as snipers. I will never, ever forget the look of dread and panic and shame in his eyes when the menfolk asked him how many gooks* he had killed over there. *. Sorry for the racist pejorative. The work stuck almost as hard as the look in my cousin’s eyes. Both are etched into my brain and I cannot forget or forgive either.

The other cousin ( that cousin was actually my uncle’s stepson) was rebellious before Viet Nam and alcoholic when he came back. My cousins did not have good or easy lives. The alcoholic cousin might have been an alcoholic without Viet Nam. My postmaster uncle might have been a fucking arrogant asshole if he hadn’t been in the Navy. I have no way of knowing. But no, I don’t think being in a war was helpful to those family members.

My son has made a calculated choice to stay in the reserves (after his regular Army service and deployment to Afghanistan) and enjoys the insurance coverage he is able to get through his service and the lower interest rate on his mortgage. I won’t say he got nothing out of his service but I hate the price he paid—and still pays. But his PTSD is mostly resolved.

Seriously, except for the grandfather who died years before I was born, my family members seem to have escaped much physical damage. Psychological? Not quite as lucky, but not disabling.

Those are all personal benefits and costs, sometimes visited on the next generations. My family was extremely fortunate, and I am grateful. Too many lose much, much, much more.

War is evil. Rarely, it is also made necessary by some person/country’s actions. Mostly I think the ‘necessity’ is for profit rather than freedom or some noble ideals.

The worst costs in any armed conflict are born by civilian casualties and damages, including, of course, death, dismemberment, rape, starvation, disease, trauma of all sorts, lives curtailed by violence.

I’m not a fan.

Then you should know better. Brutality does not lead to success over the long term, and there is no evidence to suggest that it would. Not even as a pure hypothetical that you did not at all mean to endorse. I'm sure you really do believe that you only want to engage in nice, friendly military escalations, not mean ones.
You know YOU are the one who decided on brutality, right? Not me. That leap is 100% on you.
Perhaps you could clarify your own point, then.
Perhaps you could ask before you jump to the assumption that I want to brutally scalp people with no morals to speak of :rolleyes:

Our actions in Afghanistan were actually very mild-mannered. We took a largely defensive position with the objective of preventing terrorist infiltration in strategic areas. With some exceptions, our direct actions were implemented only after the enemy engaged in clearly aggressive undertakings.

But we have the technology and the skill to be much more directly aggressive. That doesn't mean "more brutal" which seems to be the only thing you're capable of imagining. We definitely could have taken the initiative in pursuing terrorist cells and locations, and taking the fight to them. We could have been significantly more direct in hunting down and eradicating terrorist activities.

But we didn't. There are reasons for it, and one of those reasons is that we, as a country, don't want to be perceived as the aggressor. It's a political and a PR position, wherein we placed more emphasis on defensive actions, including infrastructure and support for the local citizens of the areas in which we acted.

Another of the reasons is very likely to be that we don't want to show our hand. The terrorists we were fighting were pretty low-tech, at least in comparison to our capabilities. We only used the level of technology needed to keep them at bay - ultimately they're not the biggest threat to either the US or to our allies. It's in our strategic interests to not expose the extent of our technological capabilities in action against what is ultimately a lesser opponent.
And you feel that if we'd gone in with all of our politely non-brutal modern technology blazing to kill every "terrorist" we could find, we would have "won" Afghanistan? How? What would that win condition even look like?

I don't think you think you want to scalp people, I just think you have no idea what war is or what it is like. There were several incidents of scalping and other forms of bodily mutilation in Afghanistan, the very war you're criticizing as relatively mild-mannered. If scalpings are already occurring at the level of mobilization you find too weak, stepping it up could only have increased their frequency and severity. Your storybook fantasy of a good and kindly war where only bad guys get hurt and everyone else is gaily cheering on the troops does not match anyone's reality.

Then you should know better. Brutality does not lead to success over the long term, and there is no evidence to suggest that it would. Not even as a pure hypothetical that you did not at all mean to endorse. I'm sure you really do believe that you only want to engage in nice, friendly military escalations, not mean ones.
You know YOU are the one who decided on brutality, right? Not me. That leap is 100% on you.
Perhaps you could ask before you jump to the assumption that I want to brutally scalp people with no morals to speak of :rolleyes:

Our actions in Afghanistan were actually very mild-mannered. We took a largely defensive position with the objective of preventing terrorist infiltration in strategic areas. With some exceptions, our direct actions were implemented only after the enemy engaged in clearly aggressive undertakings.

But we have the technology and the skill to be much more directly aggressive. That doesn't mean "more brutal" which seems to be the only thing you're capable of imagining. We definitely could have taken the initiative in pursuing terrorist cells and locations, and taking the fight to them. We could have been significantly more direct in hunting down and eradicating terrorist activities.

But we didn't. There are reasons for it, and one of those reasons is that we, as a country, don't want to be perceived as the aggressor. It's a political and a PR position, wherein we placed more emphasis on defensive actions, including infrastructure and support for the local citizens of the areas in which we acted.

Another of the reasons is very likely to be that we don't want to show our hand. The terrorists we were fighting were pretty low-tech, at least in comparison to our capabilities. We only used the level of technology needed to keep them at bay - ultimately they're not the biggest threat to either the US or to our allies. It's in our strategic interests to not expose the extent of our technological capabilities in action against what is ultimately a lesser opponent.
And you feel that if we'd gone in with all of our politely non-brutal modern technology blazing to kill every "terrorist" we could find, we would have "won" Afghanistan? How? What would that win condition even look like?
Eradication of all terrorist so completely that no others would even think about forming new cells.
I don't think you think you want to scalp people, I just think you have no idea what war is or what it is like. There were several incidents of scalping and other forms of bodily mutilation in Afghanistan, the very war you're criticizing as relatively mild-mannered. If scalpings are already occurring at the level of mobilization you find too weak, stepping it up could only have increased their frequency and severity. Your storybook fantasy of a good and kindly war where only bad guys get hurt and everyone else is gaily cheering on the troops does not match anyone's reality.
Egads. You act like I claimed that defensive troops were paragons of virtue who never did any wrong. Compared to past conflicts, the US employed a very low-aggression approach in Afghanistan. Low-aggression is not No-aggression.

Stop inventing views for me, you're not good at it. And frankly, I'm tired of you repeatedly treating me as if I'm some evil caricature just so you can justify your condescension. Your strawman approaches are neither convincing nor subtle.

Eradication of all terrorist so completely that no others would even think about forming new cells.
Setting aside your no doubt fascinating definition of a "terrorist", that is just not correct. Either that we ever had the capacity to "eradicate all terrorists" even if we wanted to, or that mass killings are an effective deterrent to recruitment into militias. History shows us that quite the opposite is true, which is exactly why after the first four years of war in Afghanistan, even our top generals were trying to scale back the way we were conducting that war: they'd seen the atrocity-to-terrorist pipeline play out right in front of their eyes in, by that point, two wars in four countries.

Note that most of the atrocities on our side were committed by soldiers enraged at the death and despoilation of their fellow soldiers. You don't get human psychology at all if you think the average person who would have been recruited into a militant group would decide not to after all because the invading troops killed, say, their father and their brother and the kid down the street instead of "just" their father.

Egads. You act like I claimed that defensive troops were paragons of virtue who never did any wrong. Compared to past conflicts, the US employed a very low-aggression approach in Afghanistan. Low-aggression is not No-aggression.
Then why are you so offended by the mention of the scalpings, infanticides, rapes, and so forth? These inevitably went along with the invasion, and would just as inevitably have been more severe in any scenario where the US had attempted to purposefully escalate the conflict. There is no plausible scenario in which more troops are sent or more bombs are dropped, and the occurence of such atrocities would not correspondingly increase. That just isn't the world we live in. You don't get to play tough guy when it's time to decide what policies work and which ones don't, then cry because someone pointed out that, like, wars are violent. Duh. Every goddamn child in this country who has ever turned on a tv knows that wars are violent.

Advocating for war or an escalation of war is advocating for the killing, permanent disablement, death from epidemic disease, sexual violation, and bodily dispoilation, of a great many men, women, and children, some of whom will have no real knowledge of let alone complicity with forces on either side of the conflict. Yes, scalpings. Yes, dismembered children. Yes, old men shot for sport from the ramparts as they take a desperate to go for medicine and supplies. Welcome to the reality of any battlefield across place and time. There has never, in fifteen thousand years of history, been a peaceful war. If you're going to be a military jingoist, you need to grow up about it, and get a grasp on what it is you're endorsing.

I'm tired of Americans who are bloodthirsty in the voting booth, but blanch at the thought of taking even the most basic of responsibilities for our collective actions overseas. Whatever game you're playing, the rest of the world isn't buying it.

Last edited:
Your explanation does not obviate your seeming fixation of 'correcting' or otherwise finding fault with Americans
You misunderstand. I am not "correcting" or finding fault with Americans; I am laughing at them.

Their oddities are hilarious. The more so as they seem incapable of seeing the slightest humour in them.

There's a reason why the 'straight man' in a comedy duo is traditionally paid more than his partner.

That explanation would hold far more water if I hadn't heard a large number of instances of Americans using "argue" to mean "argue against", in a variety of contexts. It's difficult to make a typo while speaking :rolleyesa:

It's certainly a difference in grammar; And those who do it are, in my experience, invariably Americans. Whether it's a widespread dialect in the US, or an uncommon one, it's certainly not always an unintentional error.

FWIW, I was unaware of the phenomenon shown in red, and didn't know what this conversation was about until I saw bilby's post. Then again, my contact with SPOKEN English is minimal, and I suppose this irregularity is much less common in the written language.

Or could it be a regional variation? Most of the American English I've heard was in Northern California*.

(* - "Northern California" is itself a weird name: in my dialect it refers to what looks on a map to be West Central California, the Greater Bay Area.)
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a regional variation. The USA has a huge variety of English dialects and accents, albeit not as many as the United Kingdom has.

See?

When someone says something like this, deadpan, it's impossible not to laugh.

I couldn't think up something as absurdly impossible as this idea if you gave me an entire lifetime.

It's like suggesting that you can lengthen a rope by cutting the end off it. If it's still too short, you clearly didn't cut enough off.

Your explanation does not obviate your seeming fixation of 'correcting' or otherwise finding fault with Americans
You misunderstand. I am not "correcting" or finding fault with Americans; I am laughing at them.

Their oddities are hilarious. The more so as they seem incapable of seeing the slightest humour in them.

There's a reason why the 'straight man' in a comedy duo is traditionally paid more than his partner.
No, no: I totally got the ridicule. It's funny as well that an Australian is so unsophisticated and unworldly that he cannot comprehend the simple differences in grammar and word usage and thinks that anyone different from him is wrong or odd.

Advocating for war or an escalation of war is advocating for the killing, permanent disablement, death from epidemic disease, sexual violation, and bodily dispoilation, of a great many men, women, and children
The fact that your brain is only capable of envisioning an aggressive campaign against an enemy if it includes significant amounts of barbarism and rape is 100% a you problem. Don't foist that shit on me.

So... do you think it's somehow better that you're mocking americans with condescension rather than "correcting" us? You think derision is better than nitpickiness?

So... do you think it's somehow better that you're mocking americans with condescension rather than "correcting" us? You think derision is better than nitpickiness?
Of course it is.

Everyone deserves a good laugh, and ridicule is perhaps the most powerful weapon in the global struggle for equality.

Patriotism is evil; But it's also ridiculous, and so we have a moral duty to ridicule it at every opportunity.

See?

When someone says something like this, deadpan, it's impossible not to laugh.

I couldn't think up something as absurdly impossible as this idea if you gave me an entire lifetime.

It's like suggesting that you can lengthen a rope by cutting the end off it. If it's still too short, you clearly didn't cut enough off.
Efficient execution and/or permanent imprisonment of an enemy does not necessitate barbarism and horrors inflicted upon them.

This is a hydra problem - cut off one head and two will grow. Because we approached the conflict in a defensive posture, with more focus on building infrastructure and enabling locals to fight their own fight, we were selective in our interactions. That head bit us, so we lopped it off. Then that head bit us, and we lopped it off.

THe US has the technology and the ability to destroy the hydra's heart - but many don't want us to, because it's "destroying a culture" or "interfering with someone else's beliefs", and because it would take a very clear directive of killing ALL the heads and piercing the heart.

That's going to put the Republican Party completely out of business. Do you really want to do that?

Of course it is.
To me, this is an incredibly twisted, arrogant, and inequitable perspective. To think that picking on people for not being like you is a *good* thing is baffling.
Everyone deserves a good laugh, and ridicule is perhaps the most powerful weapon in the global struggle for equality.
Laughing at the expense of other people doesn't accomplish equality. That you think derision toward someone for having a different grammar or different idioms is "equal" is remarkably condescending. Did you also make fun of the kids at school for whom english was a second language? Did you mock and pick on people from other countries because they "don't talk right"?
Patriotism is evil; But it's also ridiculous, and so we have a moral duty to ridicule it at every opportunity.
WTF does patriotism have to do with this?

Also, why do you think patriotism is evil, and where the fuck do you get off assigning the moral high ground to the destruction of it? Who the fuck made you the god of morality?

That's going to put the Republican Party completely out of business. Do you really want to do that?
Lol, I want to put BOTH parties out of business and start fresh. I'd settle for putting one of them out, so I only have to fight for sanity on one front instead of two.

ETA: I'm baffled as to why you would think I wouldn't want to put the Republican Party out of business. It's almost as if you completely lack any understanding of me at all, and are working from a gross caricature that you've created in your mind...

Lol, I want to put BOTH parties out of business and start fresh.
Why? Has Biden or the Democrats done something to you lately?
We have a booming economy, inflation is under control and there are no plans in the works (by Democrats) to convert the USA into a an authoritarian shithole... what are you going to gain by putting them out of business?

Advocating for war or an escalation of war is advocating for the killing, permanent disablement, death from epidemic disease, sexual violation, and bodily dispoilation, of a great many men, women, and children
The fact that your brain is only capable of envisioning an aggressive campaign against an enemy if it includes significant amounts of barbarism and rape is 100% a you problem. Don't foist that shit on me.
It isn't something I invented out of whole cloth. It is what has ahppened in every military campaign in recorded history, including the specific war you are claiming would have been "won" had we escalated it further. If your views on military policy and effectiveness aren't based on reality, what good are they? If we pushed out into the Aghan countryside to blow up every single house with terrorists in it, that would be placing even more soldiers in long term postings in hostile environments with minimal oversight, exactly the conditions that are known to result in incidents like those cited.

I get that you don't think you are advocating rape and bodily mutilation. You believe that our campaigns would or at least could be composed exclusively of Emily-approved forms of violence, yes? Perhaps you could provide us with a simple list. Shooting, stabbing, explosives, slit throats, poisonings? Do they have to be armed? Do they have to be aware of their potential killer and given an opportunity to surrender, or are snoiping and long-distance missiles fine? I suppose it is unlikely that you will want to clarify, but you must have some sort of a list in your head that allows some forms of kiling and not others, as your plan logically requires the deaths of at least several thousands of people (the "terrorists" you say could have been "thoruoughly eradicated" with a little more effort), but you're offended by the thought of some specific forms of violence when they are listed out. Somewhere in your head there must be categories of acceptable and unacceptable forms of violence, that allows for your hypothetical program of eradication but by no means includes scalping.

But you aren't dealing with the world as it actually functions, if you think it is possible to order a major military campaign and then pick and choose from a list of accepted and rejected forms of social violence. That's just not how military campaigns happen. If you put a bunch of young men in the field and train them to overcome their natural reticence against non-defensive killing, we know beyond any rational doubt that atrocities will occur. They always have, under those circumstances, and they always will.

It isn't something I invented out of whole cloth. It is what has ahppened in every military campaign in recorded history, including the specific war you are claiming would have been "won" had we escalated it further. If your views on military policy and effectiveness aren't based on reality, what good are they? If we pushed out into the Aghan countryside to blow up every single house with terrorists in it, that would be placing even more soldiers in long term postings in hostile environments with minimal oversight, exactly the conditions that are known to result in incidents like those cited.
Is it your view that the only reason the Allies won WW1 and WW2 was by brutally torturing and raping Axis soldiers?

I get that you don't think you are advocating rape and bodily mutilation. You believe that our campaigns would or at least could be composed exclusively of Emily-approved forms of violence, yes? Perhaps you could provide us with a simple list. Shooting, stabbing, explosives, slit throats, poisonings? Do they have to be armed? Do they have to be aware of their potential killer and given an opportunity to surrender, or are snoiping and long-distance missiles fine? I suppose it is unlikely that you will want to clarify, but you must have some sort of a list in your head that allows some forms of kiling and not others, as your plan logically requires the deaths of at least several thousands of people (the "terrorists" you say could have been "thoruoughly eradicated" with a little more effort), but you're offended by the thought of some specific forms of violence when they are listed out. Somewhere in your head there must be categories of acceptable and unacceptable forms of violence, that allows for your hypothetical program of eradication but by no means includes scalping.
I think any action which is okay by the Geneva convention is just fine. That does include long-range artillery and bombs, sniping, etc. But it does not include bodily mutilation and rape.

FFS, why do YOU believe that wars can only be won by committing massive amounts of war crimes?

But you aren't dealing with the world as it actually functions, if you think it is possible to order a major military campaign and then pick and choose from a list of accepted and rejected forms of social violence. That's just not how military campaigns happen.
Dude, that's EXACTLY how modern warfare works.
If you put a bunch of young men in the field and train them to overcome their natural reticence against non-defensive killing, we know beyond any rational doubt that atrocities will occur. They always have, under those circumstances, and they always will.
No we don't, and no they won't. You're making shit up to suit your own personal beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom