• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Most attractive Governor, Representitive, Senator currently in office (or those just leaving)

Good looks aren't such an advantage for male politicians. Some, but not as much as for females.
That is definitely not true. Good looks are a huge advantage for male politicians as well. Without his looks, Obama would hardly have become a serious candidate in 2008 with his lack of experience at the time. And looks are the only reason β was even a thing.
As a counterpoint, the first major party female presidential candidate wasn't a looker for sure.

ETA ~I also pay little attention to the visual aspects of political stuff, and am bad at remembering faces. I'm not entirely sure I could pick my home states current representatives out of a police lineup.~
Same here, except for my own rep (he is also afraid Guam could capsize. Seriously). But mostly because almost all are safe districts and thus a snoozefest.

As this isn't actually about politics, ponder if it belongs more in MD or M&PC.
Oh, at least some people definitely take appearances onto account when voting. Alas.
Not just 'some' people. The positive effect of good looks on people's evaluations is a well known psychological phenomenon, and the point is that it's an unconscious bias.
Conscious or unconscious, it is more politically relevant than one might hope to ask such questions about candidates. Tall men, beautiful women, never mind policy.

I'm reluctant to post in this thread, because it seems like bad taste. But I must say that I like Lauren Boebert's looks, along with AOC's.. Although MTG is easily one of the most repellant people in US politics, at least to me, she looks OK to me.

Judging my favorite commentators by looks, I like Ana Kasparian, Francesca Fiorentini, Emma Vigeland, Adrienne Lawrence, and others. Though I must say that Ana Kasparian seems more analytical than her fellow commentator Cenk Uygur.

Madison Cawthorn is so ridiculously beautiful I feel like doing penance for how ugly I am in comparison.

Attachments

• Madison_Cawthorn_117th_U.S_Congress.jpg
    Madison_Cawthorn_117th_U.S_Congress.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2
Lord no. You can keep your Ken doll types. But if Chasten Buttigieg ever comes back on the market... Cute, witty, and regularly embarasses Tucker Carlson. What more could you want?

I find Lauren Boebert quite attractive. The glasses add to the attractiveness to me. But I know she's dumber than a mudflap (took her four tries to pass the GED) and her heart is as black as they come.

It's a superficial thread and would probably be better in E.

Lord no. You can keep your Ken doll types. But if Chasten Buttigieg ever comes back on the market... Cute, witty, and regularly embarasses Tucker Carlson. What more could you want?
Someone whose future self, coming back to warn his past self in a Twilight Zone episode, couldn't be plausibly played by Mitch McConnell.

Kyrsten Sinema is another politician I find good-looking, even though I don't like her selling out.

Someone whose future self, coming back to warn his past self in a Twilight Zone episode, couldn't be plausibly played by Mitch McConnell.
young mitch.jpg

For those who think yams are brown chicken brown cows.
TR.png

Edit: This message is Inspired (and also approved) by Jimmy Kimmel.
Edit2: Yeah I know he doesn't belong here. I just couldn't help it.

Good looks aren't such an advantage for male politicians. Some, but not as much as for females.
That is definitely not true. Good looks are a huge advantage for male politicians as well. Without his looks, Obama would hardly have become a serious candidate in 2008 with his lack of experience at the time. And looks are the only reason β was even a thing.
As a counterpoint, the first major party female presidential candidate wasn't a looker for sure.

ETA ~I also pay little attention to the visual aspects of political stuff, and am bad at remembering faces. I'm not entirely sure I could pick my home states current representatives out of a police lineup.~
Same here, except for my own rep (he is also afraid Guam could capsize. Seriously). But mostly because almost all are safe districts and thus a snoozefest.
I don't really agree re: Obama. I remember very well driving into work, with NPR on the radio and hearing an extremely well spoken, intelligent man and instantly becoming a fan. I had never heard of Obama and I'm not sure it registered on me that he is black. I honestly could not have cared what he looked like. To be fair, he was such a nice contrast to Bush II that I liked him even more. I remember thinking what a relief it was to hear someone smart speaking about national issues, for a change. This was before he was a candidate.

That said, I think that the Obamas are an attractive family and that in particular, Michelle has a sense of style that has served them both well. They are intelligent, well spoken and have great senses of humor--all of which helped them a great deal.

It's interesting to me that height is a good predictor of success in the political ring when it comes to POTUS. And also how much harsher the standards are for female attractiveness compared with male attractiveness.

Toni, physical features are the only things some low intelligent & ugly jive turkeys have for clinging. Females can effortlessly look better so they arbitrarily up the standards.

Toni, physical features are the only things some low intelligent & ugly jive turkeys have for clinging. Females can effortlessly look better so they arbitrarily up the standards.
Effortlessly??????

I don’t know you IRL but I’m guessing your wife would either fall down laughing or whop you a good one. Or pull you into a big hug and kiss you. Three way toss up.

Back
Top Bottom