• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mothers-in-law!

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Basic Beliefs
On my journey :D
I have seen quite a few mother-in-law issues if late. I am particularly lucky in that my MIL likes me!

However, I thought it might be fun to hear your MIL stories, good or bad. I didn’t know where else to put this, so put it here.

I will start.

My MIL called me her DIL when I had only been dating hubby for 3 months! So she is MIL and I am DIL.

I have seen quite a few mother-in-law issues if late. I am particularly lucky in that my MIL likes me!

However, I thought it might be fun to hear your MIL stories, good or bad. I didn’t know where else to put this, so put it here.

I will start.

My MIL called me her DIL when I had only been dating hubby for 3 months! So she is MIL and I am DIL.

My MIL hated me. She's dead.
So there. :D

Never had any MIL problems other than the language barrier.

I have an Aaron Hill bobblehead on my desk at work due to the goodwill of my mother-in-law, so I can't complain.

My mother in law thought I was joking when I threatened to beat her up for making my wife cry.

I was not...

When Husband & I told his mother we were engaged to be married (we'd been dating 4.5 years at that point), her immediate response was, "When's it due?" :shock:

FYI: Daughter wasn't born until 2 days after our 9th wedding anniversary. ("Years? Months? :confused2: So I got confused.")

I loved my MIL - she passed in 2009. :(

OTOH, I'm a MIL - can we tell DIL stories instead????

When Husband & I told his mother we were engaged to be married (we'd been dating 4.5 years at that point), her immediate response was, "When's it due?" :shock:

FYI: Daughter wasn't born until 2 days after our 9th wedding anniversary. ("Years? Months? :confused2: So I got confused.")

Marriage after a very long courtship is very often due to an oops. It's not that unreasonable for her to think that.

Ah, my mother outlaw.

She was a piece of work. Probably summed up by what happened when the future ex wife and I decided (mistakenly) to take her along on our trip to San Diego.

Why San Diego? Why...for the beach, of course.

So we get out there on the beach, and before we even sat down she started to complain. The sun was just too intense. So I wandered down the beach, rented an umbrella, and set it up. Everything's fine, right? Nope. She lays out her beach towel, sits down, and immediately starts complaining about how uncomfortable the sand was. It was hot, and lumpy, and she just couldn't relax, so I said "why don't you go into the ocean and cool off?"

Nope. She's terrified of the water.

To recap: Sun, sand, and surf. All the reasons you go to the beach. It was everything I could do not to say "then why the hell did we bring you to the beach?"

And that was just the one thing. We went to the seafood restaurant, because that's what you do when you're that close to the ocean, right? And then when we got there she announced that she was allergic to seafood. Really? We'll go somewhere else, then. "No, I'll find something to eat on the menu" and they had a chicken dish which she ordered. Then complained about when it arrived and sent it back twice.

The entire week went like this. Yes. A week.

On our way out of town, she declared that she needed to stop at the nearest drug store to buy some Imodium for the trip home. If you know what Imodium is, and you have a cranky mother in law, you'd think "that's probably a good idea," right? No. Turned out she needed a very particular form of it...the tablets wouldn't work or the capsules wouldn't work or the liquid wasn't good enough or whatever I forget, but she had a (pun entirely intended) shit-fit over the fact that we couldn't find the right version and after 3 stops and with a 6-7 hour drive ahead I finally snapped.

I don't snap. I never snap. That day, I snapped in the way that a person who never snaps does after spending a week with a psycho mother in law. I turned around and while I don't recall exactly what I said it began with "lady, if you don't shut the fuck up right now..."

She remained silent for the entire drive home. And the six months afterwards.

Marriage after a very long courtship is very often due to an oops. It's not that unreasonable for her to think that.

Oh, totally! Expecially considering that no fewer than 4 of Husband's older cousins HAD had "full-term 4-month babies", I can (and could) understand where she was coming from. But still, couldn't she have started with "How exciting! YAY!" or "That's nice, Dears." ? Nooooo, she was so certain that her #1 Son had followed the family trend.... LOL

I will start.

I love my Mother-in-Law. She is everything I wish my own mother could have been.

My MiL is batshit crazy.... and not the "good kind of crazy" that my wife is. I only wish my wife would learn a little bit from how I deal with her so that she can deal with her better. All you have to do is repeat "I knowwwww, I knowwwwww... you poor thiiiiiing... oh, that's just terrrrrrible... I just don't understand how you do it.... oh, I know... I knowwwww...."

I will start.

I love my Mother-in-Law. She is everything I wish my own mother could have been.

I had a mother in law like that, too.

Oh, totally! Expecially considering that no fewer than 4 of Husband's older cousins HAD had "full-term 4-month babies", I can (and could) understand where she was coming from. But still, couldn't she have started with "How exciting! YAY!" or "That's nice, Dears." ? Nooooo, she was so certain that her #1 Son had followed the family trend.... LOL

Heh. My (not yet) MIL was THRILLED when (not yet) hubby and I began living together in sin. When my (not yet) FIL expressed concerns about the likelihood of our cohabitation resulting in a (premature) grandchild, her response was: Exactly!

Turns out her powers of prediction were remarkable. She also counted bedrooms when we bought our first house and predicted we'd have another kid. That was not in the plans at the time. But 15 months later, we welcomed our last baby into the world.

Heh. My (not yet) MIL was THRILLED when (not yet) hubby and I began living together in sin. When my (not yet) FIL expressed concerns about the likelihood of our cohabitation resulting in a (premature) grandchild, her response was: Exactly!

Turns out her powers of prediction were remarkable. She also counted bedrooms when we bought our first house and predicted we'd have another kid. That was not in the plans at the time. But 15 months later, we welcomed our last baby into the world.

My MIL was the same exact for the children department. We kept saying a year, she predicted 4 months. She was right.

My MiL is batshit crazy.... and not the "good kind of crazy" that my wife is. I only wish my wife would learn a little bit from how I deal with her so that she can deal with her better. All you have to do is repeat "I knowwwww, I knowwwwww... you poor thiiiiiing... oh, that's just terrrrrrible... I just don't understand how you do it.... oh, I know... I knowwwww...."

Yours sounds remarkably like mine.

I'm not married, but I get along quite well with my partner's mum: I like her because she is a sarcastic nerd who cooks a killer lamb roast and rates her farts out of ten. She likes me because I have a job.

Aside *ahem* entirely different thread when I originally thought MIL was a misspelled acronym of MILF.

:eek:

Last edited:
My current wife and I had been dating a few weeks and we had plans for the weekend. Friday morning, she called and said she had a terrible cold and wanted to get off work early and go to bed. I told her to pack a bag and I would pick her up after work and she could spend the weekend in my bed, and I would nurse her back to health. It was an offer she couldn't refuse.

That afternoon, I changed out of my uniform at work, and showed up at her apartment in a ribbed string strap T-top, tight jeans, and engineer boots. This 1990 and it was my Chippendale days. She was getting her stuff together, when there was a knock at the door. It was her mother, who hadn't been told about this new guy in her life.

Mother says, "Since you aren't feeling well, I thought you'd like to come spend the weekend at my house." I'm standing in the background, enjoying this scene of my new girlfriend explaining to her mother about the better offer she has already accepted.

The proper introductions were made, mother left, and we had a nice weekend, head cold and all.

Later that week, I got the report on the followup. Mother asked all the regular questions about how we met and such. Girlfriend lies and says a friend introduced us, saying, "I just love his beard."

Mother says, "He has a beard?"

Back
Top Bottom