• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

No Means Yes If You Know How To Spot It

See, I think your math is totally wrong here. You seem to be solving for the equation where you need a new variable every time you solve it. But if you treat the variable like a keeper, there are years and years and years of frequent solutions to this equation. On the whole, way more sex.

Your comments all seem centered around wanting that first encounter to be easy and frequent (or at least much easIER and MORE frequent). Which is really the hard way to approach getting sex. The first encounter is the most difficult to consummate. Put some psychological study into ways to ensure a second romp in bed and it will totally pay off. For realz. So much so that you can acquire that, "hey baby, want some hot monkey sex?" ease of entry.
You are right in that my comments are centered around more casual sex but that's because we are talking college campuses and hookup culture prevalent there.
It's very frustrating when posters want to apply the arguments in these threads to my personal life. I am not arguing from my personal life and neither is it relevant here.

Cause think about it, you only have to "get to know them" once. From then on out it's smooth sailing with "wanting them to enjoy time with you."
Invest early!
Is that some sort of advice? Again, this thread (or the OSU) policy is not about giving advice about "best practices", it's about what constituents consent vs. what is sexual assault. And there we should be very careful not to define much of consensual sex that goes on at college campuses as "sexual assault" by defining consent too narrowly and confusing it with some sort of ideal condition.

Again, this thread (or the OSU) policy is not about giving advice about "best practices", it's about what constituents consent vs. what is sexual assault. And there we should be very careful not to define much of consensual sex that goes on at college campuses as "sexual assault" by defining consent too narrowly and confusing it with some sort of ideal condition.

I don't think OSU is defining consent too narrowly, or more narrowly than it has been in the past. I think OSU is defining it in a way that even stupid, self-absorbed, drunk, socially clueless, and/or predatory people can understand, and a lot of them are saying "Hey, wait a minute. What do you mean I have to have affirmative consent? (S)he didn't say no, and that's good enough."

That sort of "consent" was never good enough, because it wasn't actually consent. It was opportunistic exploitation. Hopefully the people who didn't understand that before are finally getting it now.

Last edited:
I understand fully; spikepipsqueak thinks somebody changing their minds is the same as being coerced.

No, spikepipsqueak thinks somebody changing their minds under pressure is the very definition of being coerced.

spikepipsqueak thinks that if your behaviour and conversation don't make somebody of the opinion that sex with you is something they want to do, then arguing them into it is boorish and self involved. These are 2 attributes that are not illegal, but any consent to sex obtained by these methods is. High pressure tactics aren't acceptable in real estate or car sales (but a 3 day cooling off period isn't much use to someone who had sex with you under coercion, hence the attitude of the universities, and the general effort to improve the communication of people looking to have sex with each other.)

Derec said:
I think this was Arctish but I stuffed up the nested quotes said:
Instead to trying to persuade someone to have sex with you (high pressure tactics, pleading, threats...?) how about trying to be the sort of person he/she would want to have sex with (actually interested in getting to know them, respecting their wishes, wanting them to enjoy their time with you, etc.). If it works, the end result is enthusiastic, affirmative consent and maybe some really good sex. If it doesn't work, *whew* you dodged a bullet there, because it looks like that could have gone really badly if you had tried to force the issue.

This is not about advice or what is best case scenario. It's about what is sexual assault and what isn't and in that sense circumscribing acceptable forms of consent further and further is really dangerous.

Furthermore I do not think that this advice is that good anyway. "Actually interested in getting to know them, respecting their wishes, wanting them to enjoy their time with you" might work for those that are (perhaps like you) naturally attractive, charming and charismatic but will not be nearly sufficient for the majority of guys.

It's sufficient for the nice ones. Ugly, brusque, nerdy guys who at some level of their being are possible to get along with, have sex and relationships all the time. Very few of the people I see around me look like movie stars and none of them have the panache of a Pierce Brosnan character, but most of them have someone who likes them enough to share their bed occasionally.

What is the alternative? NOT respecting her wishes? Having sex with someone who is NOT enjoying their time with you?
Arctrish is saying that that's all it takes when that's patently absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you keep advocating for non-consent
No. You keep advocating for only certain, narrowly defined, kinds of consent to count as consent.

There is only consent. Grudging consent is not consent. There are no "kinds" of consent. Enthusiastic consent is the ideal for all parties. Uncoerced consent is the minimum standard.

You say that you want to keep away from your own life experiences but I find it deeply troubling that you consider it acceptable to screw someone who didn't want to bed you but you were able to argue her into it.

No, spikepipsqueak thinks somebody changing their minds under pressure is the very definition of being coerced.
How do you define "under pressure"?
spikepipsqueak thinks that if your behaviour and conversation don't make somebody of the opinion that sex with you is something they want to do, then arguing them into it is boorish and self involved. These are 2 attributes that are not illegal, but any consent to sex obtained by these methods is.
No it isn't. Not by any sane legal standard. Consent is consent, it doesn't matter if you think the guy was "boorish" or "self-involved". If the action used to get consent is itself legal then the consent thus obtained is legal as well. If a man threatens a woman with violence that would be invalid consent as it was done under duress. If a man threatens a woman with stopping seeing her if she doesn't sleep with him (one of the examples classified as "rape" by the infamous and deeply flawed Ms. Magazine "study") then that consent is perfectly ok as he is in complete right to stop seeing her for whatever reason and she has the valid option to let him not see her again.

High pressure tactics aren't acceptable in real estate or car sales (but a 3 day cooling off period isn't much use to someone who had sex with you under coercion, hence the attitude of the universities, and the general effort to improve the communication of people looking to have sex with each other.)
What are you defining as "high pressure" tactics here?

It's sufficient for the nice ones.
Oh please! It's the nice guys who always get rejected by women and are ridiculed as "entitled" (by the more fortunate in the dating/hookup game) when they get upset by the repeated rejections.

There is only consent.
I agree. No qualifications.
Grudging consent is not consent.
Of course it is. If a woman says yes, it should not matter to the law or the university if she said "yes" enthusiastically or grudgingly or anywhere on the enthusiastic vs. grudging spectrum.

There are no "kinds" of consent.
Again, agree. But you keep contradicting yourself by adding qualifications.

Enthusiastic consent is the ideal for all parties.
Again, I agree. But neither the law nor the university should concern itself with what's ideal.

Uncoerced consent is the minimum standard.
Again, depends on what you mean by "coerced".

You say that you want to keep away from your own life experiences but I find it deeply troubling that you consider it acceptable to screw someone who didn't want to bed you but you were able to argue her into it.
If a man is able to "argue her into it" then that means that she agreed to have sex with him in the end. Hence there was consent. Hence it is acceptable. Is it ideal? No, but that's not the standard universities should operate under.

You could choose to simply pay for it, thereby skipping all that onerous respecting of their wishes or caring if they are enjoying their time with you, though ironically you will still have explicit consent.
That was my point in the other (California) thread - this insistence on formalized and narrow ("affirmative", "informed", "explicit") consent will lead precisely to making all sexual interactions resemble prostitution. Which is ironic as radical feminists abhor prostitution and want to keep it illegal (although they favor the sexist "Swedish model" where only the usually male clients get prosecuted while the mostly female providers are treated as "victims").

And I have never said that things like "[her] enjoying their time with [him]" are not important. They are, but that is not something universities or the government should concern itself with. I.e. if an asshole who doesn't care if she is enjoying herself has consensual sex she still consented and he is not a rapist.

I don't think so. I think spikepipsqueak might be remembering the guy who "persuaded" a girl until he got what he wanted, and she was so miserable and distressed she was crying while he fucked her.
And where is Sibling Squeak remembering all that from?

He might also be remembering you are the one saying playful demurring can be an invitation to proceed, while offering no way to distinguish the "playful" kind from the real thing.
I thought squeak was a she? In any case I did not quite say that. I rather think that such demurring can be part of a seduction play. It's not an invitation to proceed but it's not a hard stop either. In motor sport terms, it's like a yellow flag, or maybe a double waved yellow if you will. Slow down, but not the end of session either. She can then give either the green - proceed - flag or the red flag which he should respect though. The eventual green flag is not any less valid just because it was preceded by a yellow one.

Your proposed course of action leaves open the possibility of genuine demurring being ignored, and you appear to be okay with that.
It should not be ignored. But it also doesn't mean he must go home immediately and get some lube. :)

In my lifetime, there's only one kind of consent that has ever been acceptable: the kind given freely by fully informed adults in their right minds. If it's not freely given, or if pertinent information has been withheld, or the person is under the age of consent, or the person is impaired by drugs, alcohol, disease or mental defect, then the consent isn't the acceptable kind.
But all of these criteria have certain thresholds below which it is still acceptable. Everybody lies to their potential sex partners. Are they all rapists? No, people tolerate certain amount of fibbing as normal, condemn the middle level as caddish but only the most egregious lies result in any criminal action. Same with alcohol or drugs. Certain amount is simply normal, more than that be socially condemned, but only extreme levels of intoxication result in prosecutions. Same with mental illnesses or defects. If anybody with a mental health diagnosis (ADHD, depression, bipolar, borderline, Aspergers etc.) were considered incapable of consenting it would affect a damn lot of people. But no, we reserve that to only extreme forms of mental health problems.
We even do the same with age of consent where we different ages below that age as well as age difference of the partners.
I disagree. Being naturally attractive, charming and charismatic might get you more opportunities for sex, but being a worthwhile partner gets you more fulfilling sexual relationships. That's true across all genders.
These problems with consent on campus are mostly the result of hookups, not relationships. And again, it's about what is considered sexual assault vs. consensual sex, not giving advise on "fulfilling sexual relationships". That would be a topic for the Lounge, not PD.

Derec said:
Your proposed course of action leaves open the possibility of genuine demurring being ignored, and you appear to be okay with that.
It should not be ignored. But it also doesn't mean he must go home immediately and get some lube.
why not?

what is the great loss if a guy doesn't fuck a particular woman at a particular time?

Rape and "blue balls" are not equal in the law or the morality of the culture.

Yet in this thread seems to be a plea for the right to risk rape but not rape charges in the pursuit of not having blue balls.

No it isn't. Not by any sane legal standard. Consent is consent, it doesn't matter if you think the guy was "boorish" or "self-involved". If the action used to get consent is itself legal then the consent thus obtained is legal as well. If a man threatens a woman with violence that would be invalid consent as it was done under duress. If a man threatens a woman with stopping seeing her if she doesn't sleep with him (one of the examples classified as "rape" by the infamous and deeply flawed Ms. Magazine "study") then that consent is perfectly ok as he is in complete right to stop seeing her for whatever reason and she has the valid option to let him not see her again.

As I implied earlier, the sort of tactics that qualify for high pressure would be similar to those used in various selling professions, where they demonstrably ARE illegal, hence the cooling off period.

I'm curious to know what methods you envisage using to change the mind of someone who has already indicated that she doesn't want to sleep with you.

(Please understand I am using the "you" language for ease of expression, not commenting on your sex life :))

If a man is able to "argue her into it" then that means that she agreed to have sex with him in the end. Hence there was consent. Hence it is acceptable. Is it ideal? No, but that's not the standard universities should operate under.

The nature of this argument is what interests me. I can't imagine how that happens without impinging on the definition of "coerce".

If not sure I understand the question. Desiring someone without knowing if they like you back is a fairly everyday occurrence. Two people liking each other, but not being sure if the other feels the same way, is also an every day occurrence.
are you also suggesting fucking that person without their permission?

Against their will? No? Without their explicit permission? That's how many people have sex all the time.

Husband and wife have been married for 10 years, and often have sex in the morning. They wake up on a lazy sunday morning, and sleepily have sex. According to the regulations proposed, that's rape. Why? Because they have not gained explicit consent from each other.

"both of whom want to have sex" - have they actually communicated/expressed that in some way to each other? If not, how do they know the other person also wants sex?

Implicit in their behaviour.

"should nonetheless seek explicit consent from the other" - not "nonetheless". Either they have mutual explicit consent or they don't, but they should before proceeding.

"Which means they actually need to actually ask or confirm in some way, rather than merely sharing an understanding." - yes. Attempts at mutual mind-reading is not advisable.

The question is not whether it is advisable, the question whether it is assault. Not all social interactions are explicit. People are used to conducting their lives on the basis of implicit communication. Trying to ban entire classes of communication for sexual contact, on the basis that you personally don't tend to use them, is a clumsy approach that will not succeed, and simply frustrate what we're trying achieve.

He usually comes down the stairs from the shower, and waggles his twig and giggle-berries in my general direction while asking "Is it sexy time now?"

To which I usually reply "Oh baby! Sexy, sexy!" And promptly follow him up to the boudoir.

This is after 20+ years together.

Now that is explicit :D

No, it isn't. It's implicit, based on a mutual understanding. Exactly what the proposals ban as assault. That's the problem.

The key that you think I am assuming is not assumed but an actual answer in action _or_ word.

When you say "Saying that, and then taking that as consent to full sex, is still rape under the proposals we've been given. " you're ignoring that in each case I'm saying, "and wait for the answer."

No, I'm aware that you're getting an actual answer, but it doesn't matter. What you're describing is still rape under the proposals we're talking about.
nonsense.

No, not nonsense. You're describing implicit permission, which is not enough under the proposals. This is exactly why so many people oppose these proposals. Because they are way too broad, and cover entirely normal sexual behaviour.

You're talking about making sure, between two people, that sex is desired. That's sensible. That is not what the proposals say. What the proposals say is that you need explicit permission for every stage. That means that the person has expressed consent, and that the consent that is expressed is specifically for that stage. Shaking your naked body at someone and having them chase you upstairs is not enough, because it doesn't specify what is and isn't permitted, even though it may be, in your opinion, totally unambiguous as what is intended.

This is the reason we're disagreeing. It's nothing to do with what is acceptable sexual behaviour, where we seem pretty close. It's about what the proposals actually mean.

Derec said:
It should not be ignored. But it also doesn't mean he must go home immediately and get some lube.
why not?

what is the great loss if a guy doesn't fuck a particular woman at a particular time?

Because people date not just for sex, but also to establish relationships. Let's take an example. A girl has been flirting with this guy all night. She takes off her clothes and slips into his bed. He comes upstairs, find her in his bed, leaves. Why? Because he doesn't trust himself to be around her when she's naked and not try something, and she hasn't given him permission to try something. She is hurt, leaves, spends the rest of the evening crying her eyes out, doesn't come back. Meanwhile he's miserable because he really fancied her, and now she doesn't seem interested any more. Maybe if he had been following his own instincts rather than some stupid arbitrary code, they would have had different lives.

The bottom line is that these proposals mess with other people's lives, in a crude and clumsy fashion. You don't get to pretend it doesn't matter.

As I implied earlier, the sort of tactics that qualify for high pressure would be similar to those used in various selling professions, where they demonstrably ARE illegal, hence the cooling off period.

I'm curious to know what methods you envisage using to change the mind of someone who has already indicated that she doesn't want to sleep with you.

(Please understand I am using the "you" language for ease of expression, not commenting on your sex life :))

The nature of this argument is what interests me. I can't imagine how that happens without impinging on the definition of "coerce".

I had a girlfriend who hated being taken for granted. She didn't want to just sleep with me, she wanted to be seduced. She got off on the idea of a smooth-talking guy who could charm the pants off her. She wanted someone to put in the effort of persuading her. Without the effort, she wasn't interested.

It's a bit like the people who don't want to buy a car, they want to be sold one. They want the full performance.

why not?

Because people date not just for sex, but also to establish relationships. Let's take an example. A girl has been flirting with this guy all night. She takes off her clothes and slips into his bed. He comes upstairs, find her in his bed, leaves. Why? Because he doesn't trust himself to be around her when she's naked and not try something, and she hasn't given him permission to try something. She is hurt, leaves, spends the rest of the evening crying her eyes out, doesn't come back. Meanwhile he's miserable because he really fancied her, and now she doesn't seem interested any more. Maybe if he had been following his own instincts rather than some stupid arbitrary code, they would have had different lives.
so your argument is that a woman bold enough to get naked and in a man's bed and a man who is attracted her, so much so he is miserable without her, neither of these people can simply say to the other, "I like you and I want to make with you." Is this your concern, your reason you think that no means or should be allowed to mean yes?]
The bottom line is that these proposals mess with other people's lives, in a crude and clumsy fashion. You don't get to pretend it doesn't matter.
The rules pertain to whether or not you get to fuck without permission. They don't stop you from having picnics, conversations, or even orgasm. If s/he means that much and a relationship is the goal, nothing so far stated keeps you from having one.

So I am still not getting why the need to avoid blue balls is more important the risking raping someone when asking a simple question alleviates both problem. If you want a relationship but you can't talk to one another, you will never have a relationship anyway.

I don't think OSU is defining consent too narrowly, or more narrowly than it has been in the past. I think OSU is defining it in a way that even stupid, self-absorbed, drunk, socially clueless, and/or predatory people can understand, and a lot of them are saying "Hey, wait a minute. What do you mean I have to have affirmative consent? (S)he didn't say no, and that's good enough."

That sort of "consent" was never good enough, because it wasn't actually consent. It was opportunistic exploitation. Hopefully the people who didn't understand that before are finally getting it now.

^^^^ that!

are you also suggesting fucking that person without their permission?

Against their will? No? Without their explicit permission? That's how many people have sex all the time.
if you do not have their explicit permission, it is against their will.

Husband and wife have been married for 10 years, and often have sex in the morning. They wake up on a lazy sunday morning, and sleepily have sex. According to the regulations proposed, that's rape. Why? Because they have not gained explicit consent from each other.
yes, actually they do have explicit consent from each other, which means your contention that this is rape is false.

"both of whom want to have sex" - have they actually communicated/expressed that in some way to each other? If not, how do they know the other person also wants sex?

it had better be EXPLICIT in their behavior, else you are attempting to be a mind-reader.
"should nonetheless seek explicit consent from the other" - not "nonetheless". Either they have mutual explicit consent or they don't, but they should before proceeding.

"Which means they actually need to actually ask or confirm in some way, rather than merely sharing an understanding." - yes. Attempts at mutual mind-reading is not advisable.

The question is not whether it is advisable, the question whether it is assault.
if your mind reading is inaccurate and you failed to get explicit consent, then it is assault. The point of explicit consent is to minimize miscommunication that results in sexual assault.

I still do not understand how anyone views this as a bad thing.

People are used to conducting their lives on the basis of implicit communication.
examples?

He usually comes down the stairs from the shower, and waggles his twig and giggle-berries in my general direction while asking "Is it sexy time now?"

To which I usually reply "Oh baby! Sexy, sexy!" And promptly follow him up to the boudoir.

No, it isn't. It's implicit, based on a mutual understanding. Exactly what the proposals ban as assault. That's the problem.
. No, it was explicit. By his actions and words he made it clear he wanted sex. By her words and actions, she made it clear she agreed. Could either of them have changed their minds once upstairs? Sure. That is why ONGOING consent is needed. But that exchange as described meets the very definition of "explicit"

What other meaning would you attribute to her husband waggling "his twig and giggle-berries in [her] general direction while asking "Is it sexy time now?""

What other meaning would you attribute to her response: ""Oh baby! Sexy, sexy!" And promptly follow him up to the boudoir."

Implicit communication would be all those EDS commercials wherein the couple is doing something innocuous like painting a bench, but then their hands touch and they exchange "that look", and it is implied to us that they will be shortly having sex (assuming he remembered to take his little blue pill first)

I would also point out that her personal example and the EDS commercials are of long-married couples, wherein even implicit communication has a very high probability of being accurate.

As Derec notes, the laws/policies under discussion are typically on university campuses, where "casual hooks-ups" between people that don't know each other very well is much more common. Given the huge amount of miscommunication that occurs even in a forum such as this with written words, how can anyone argue that it is bad policy to put as a minimum standard that people get explicit consent before sex rather than rely on an ill-informed assumption of implicit consent?

Last edited:
so your argument is that a woman bold enough to get naked and in a man's bed and a man who is attracted her, so much so he is miserable without her, neither of these people can simply say to the other, "I like you and I want to make with you."

That's something that actually happened. Neither of them did say that to the other. I had to pick the pieces. University relationships are often full of drama.

What I'm concerned about is that the course of their lives was changed because of an arbitrary rule that this guy was taught, and that they could have been happy together.

Is this your concern, your reason you think that no means or should be allowed to mean yes?

No I'm supporting 'No means No'. I support it because it actually works and solves problems. I'm arguing against the idea that every stage of physical contact should be preceded by explicit permission because it doesn't work.

Togo said:
The rules pertain to whether or not you get to fuck without permission.

No, they cover all forms of physical intimate contact, from simply touching the other person through to variations on full sex. You may be able to achieve orgasm without any form of physical contact, but most people can't.

So I am still not getting why the need to avoid blue balls is more important the risking raping someone when asking a simple question alleviates both problem.

That may be related to your understanding of what the proposed rules actually consist of, and why I'm objecting to them.

why not?

Or better yet, how about he simply asks her if her being naked in his bed means that she is interested in having sex with him?

Or better yet, how about he simply asks her if her being naked in his bed means that she is interested in having sex with him?

I was thinking the same thing. This couple had some serious communication problems. There's no guarantee they would have gotten any better at it if they'd stayed together.

Maybe if there had been a school policy in place that said consent must be affirmative and explicit the girl would have been more straightforward, told the guy she wanted to have sex with him, and sought his consent, instead of putting him on the spot like that.

Kudos to your friend for doing the right thing, Togo.

Last edited:
No I'm supporting 'No means No'. I support it because it actually works and solves problems. I'm arguing against the idea that every stage of physical contact should be preceded by explicit permission because it doesn't work.

Works for whom? It certainly isn't working for the girls being raped.

The problem with just "no means no" is that the absence of "no" does not automatically mean "yes"

The woman passed out drunk is not saying "no" but I don't believe you are advocating that this would be consensual sex.

To take a less obvious example: hypothetical woman (perhaps someone who has been previously raped) and hypothetical man - one of those "persuasive" don't take "no" for an answer dudes Derec champions. The more he "persuades" the more she shuts down, but she never actually says "no" or even struggles. She just goes inside herself and tries to shut out what he is doing to her. Do you think he had consent?

if you do not have their explicit permission, it is against their will.

How? Two people want to have sex with each other, so their will is to have sex. They do not give explicit permission. Will=/explicit permission.

I really need you to explain why it is that will can only exist if it is expressed explicitly, because that makes no sense to me.

yes, actually they do have explicit consent from each other,

Can you point to where this consent is explicitly given? Because it looks to me like they're just having sex because they think they both want to.

it had better be EXPLICIT in their behavior, else you are attempting to be a mind-reader.

No, I'm attempting to judge what they want from implicit clues, rather than explicit statement or demonstration.

Just guessing ---- Implicit cues ---- explicit statements

That's why the proposals refer to explicit permission, rather than implied or implicit permission.

The question is not whether it is advisable, the question whether it is assault.
if your mind reading is inaccurate and you failed to get explicit consent, then it is assault. The point of explicit consent is to minimize miscommunication that results in sexual assault.

I still do not understand how anyone views this as a bad thing.

Because they don't think it works in practice?

People are used to conducting their lives on the basis of implicit communication.
examples?

Please use one of the examples already provided.

. No, it was explicit. By his actions and words he made it clear he wanted sex. By her words and actions, she made it clear she agreed. Could either of them have changed their minds once upstairs? Sure. That is why ONGOING consent is needed. But that exchange as described meets the very definition of "explicit"

No, it doesn't. This is point at which we disagree. You seem to think that anything that is blatant or obvious is explicit and thus covered by the rules. That all they really do is require people to be certain. That's not what they say. Explicit permission for each stage of intimacy means that at each stage of intimacy you have to get explicit permission for that stage. Jiggling at someone is an obviously invitation to something, but it's not explicit what it is an invitation for. Someone is perfectly entitled to jiggle at someone to encourage them to them to kiss them, or to take their clothes off, or to have penetrative sex, or to invite them to a threesome with their sister. But the jiggle by itself is not an invitation to sex, it's just an invitation, and it's ambiguous what exactly it is an invitation for.

What the proposals do is take this kind of situation, and claim that it is rape. That's the problem.

What other meaning would you attribute to her husband waggling "his twig and giggle-berries in [her] general direction while asking "Is it sexy time now?""
Mutual masturbation? Oral sex? Naked wrestling? The point is not whether it is reasonable to attribute a meaning to the gesture, the point is that you are attributing a meaning, rather than it being explicit.

What other meaning would you attribute to her response: ""Oh baby! Sexy, sexy!" And promptly follow him up to the boudoir."

That could be anything from an invitation to make out to full sex. I'm not saying it's not fairly obvious, given the context. I'm saying it doesn't qualify under the proposed rules, because you're not explicitly seeking permission for each stage of intimacy. That's why the proposals are unworkable.

Works for whom? It certainly isn't working for the girls being raped.

Its works for some. We can't abandon any possible solution simply because none are perfect.

The problem with just "no means no" is that the absence of "no" does not automatically mean "yes"

The woman passed out drunk is not saying "no" but I don't believe you are advocating that this would be consensual sex.

No, I'm not, and I agree that absence of no doesn't automatically mean yes. But the passed out drunk problem is mainly a problem of being unable to meaningfully give consent. If the girl gave a giggle, said yes to something (who knows what?), and then passed out, that's technically consent, but it still seems like rape to me.

To take a less obvious example: hypothetical woman (perhaps someone who has been previously raped) and hypothetical man - one of those "persuasive" don't take "no" for an answer dudes Derec champions. The more he "persuades" the more she shuts down, but she never actually says "no" or even struggles. She just goes inside herself and tries to shut out what he is doing to her. Do you think he had consent?

No. Not implied consent, and not explicit consent.

Back
Top Bottom