• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged NY Rep Santos (merged from GOP elected that guy in WW84 and GOP are liars)

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
I hope there's a clause in there that says the deal is off if he still publicly denies it.

So he is gainfully employed and resocialized?! His entire life is a lie!

Congressman George Santos Charged with Fraud, Money Laundering, Theft of Public Funds, and False Statements​

“This indictment seeks to hold Santos accountable for various alleged fraudulent schemes and brazen misrepresentations,” stated United States Attorney Peace. “Taken together, the allegations in the indictment charge Santos with relying on repeated dishonesty and deception to ascend to the halls of Congress and enrich himself. He used political contributions to line his pockets, unlawfully applied for unemployment benefits that should have gone to New Yorkers who had lost their jobs due to the pandemic, and lied to the House of Representatives. My Office and our law enforcement partners will continue to aggressively root out corruption and self-dealing from our community’s public institutions and hold public officials accountable to the constituents who elected them.”

“The Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section is committed to rooting out fraud and corruption, especially when committed by our elected officials,” said Assistant Attorney General Kenneth A. Polite, Jr. of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division. “As alleged, Santos engaged in criminal conduct intended to deceive and defraud the American public. As this indictment reflects, the Department of Justice will hold accountable anyone who engages in such criminality.”

Speedy trial? Not likely. The voters will have to boot him. I just hope they revoke any pensions or other ongoing benefits of having defrauded NY voters.

Well, they arrested the fucker …
Does this ensure his re-election?

Didn't see anything in those charges about the $700,000 in campaign funds.

George Santos, the embattled Republican congressman charged by the U.S. with fraud and money laundering, has secured three mystery guarantors for his $500,000 bond.

At his May 10 arraignment, where Santos pleaded not guilty, U.S. Magistrate Judge Anne Shields released the 34-year-old lawmaker but told him he would need three co-signers for the bond. Joseph Murray, a lawyer for Santos, told the court that he had identified two of the three but that none were present at the time. The U.S. said it had approved of the two suretors the defense identified.
The representative from New York now has all three lined up, according to a person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified because it isn’t public. All three guarantors recently have come to court to sign the bond, but their identities remain under seal, the person said.

Unusual practice

That is a departure from typical federal court practice. Shields didn’t require Murray to identify the guarantors in open court on the day Santos was arraigned, as is usually done. Nor did they come forward when Santos was released, and advised of their responsibility to ensure his return to court, as is typically the case. No documentation about them has been posted on the public docket in federal court in Central Islip, New York.

That is a departure from typical federal court practice. Shields didn’t require Murray to identify the guarantors in open court on the day Santos was arraigned, as is usually done. Nor did they come forward when Santos was released, and advised of their responsibility to ensure his return to court, as is typically the case. No documentation about them has been posted on the public docket in federal court in Central Islip, New York.
What is up with that?? How did “George Santos” get that much pull?

What is up with that?? How did “George Santos” get that much pull?
I doubt he did. Rather, I think his backers have pull. I think Santos is more puppet than primary actor.

I doubt he did. Rather, I think his backers have pull. I think Santos is more puppet than primary actor.

Exactly. Santos is needed by the Republicans. Otherwise, he would have been booted out before this. Even the New York Republican representatives in vulnerable district voted to preserve his seat by deflecting his case into the graveyard ethics committee. They have no trouble raising funds to bail him out.

Haha.

The judge overseeing the case against indicted Rep. George Santos agreed Tuesday to unseal the names of the people who put up the New York Republican's $500,000 bond.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Anne Shields kept her order and related filings under seal, however, to give Santos until noon Friday to appeal her decision.

Several news organizations requested that the names of the co-signers of Santos’ bond be released following the lawmaker’s indictment last month. In a letter to the judge on Monday, Santos’ lawyer, argued that unsealing the names of the co-signers would put them in a position to “likely to suffer great distress, may lose their jobs, and God forbid, may suffer physical injury.”

“There is little doubt that the suretors will suffer some unnecessary form of retaliation if their identities and employment are revealed,” the lawyer, Joseph Murray, wrote.

Murray said his client “would rather surrender to pretrial detainment than subject these suretors to what will inevitably come” if their names are publicly released.

Murray also asked the judge to give the co-signers prior notice if she decides to release their names. He cited threats that he, Santos and members of his staff have received after the freshman congressman’s indictment. Murray noted a call that he received last week from a male voice shouting, “Who paid Santos’ bond?” He said he's concerned “they are just waiting to pounce” on the people who backed Santos' bond.

“If this Court is so inclined to unseal the sureties, we truly fear for their health, safety and well being,” Murray wrote.

So has Santos done this?
"Murray said his client “would rather surrender to pretrial detainment than subject these suretors to what will inevitably come” if their names are publicly released."
It's easy to do.
Just go surrender and then there's no need for bond.
Easy Peasy.

So...
Tom

Murray said his client “would rather surrender to pretrial detainment than subject these suretors to what will inevitably come” if their names are publicly released.
Sounds to me like the Judge should have just said,"OK, you choose: The names remain sealed for ninety nine years, and your client goes to jail today, and stays there until the trial is concluded; Or we unseal the names Friday, and your client remains at liberty until the trial".

Maybe she did say that.

It might be different if the justice department were dealing with someone who didn't have such a long and storied history of lies and deceit.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom