• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

On Deck: 2022

(Laura Loomer the sore loser...)
Crying about voter fraud is all these fuckers have left.
I recall Kari Lake stopped complaining about voter fraud when she won. As far as I know, she didn't even say that she overcame an enormous amount of voter fraud directed against her.

Running against Matt Gaetz in FL-01 will be Rebekah Jones, who won the Democratic primary with 62.6% of the vote.

Rebekah Jones wins U.S. House primary, will face Rep. Matt Gaetz
An ousted Florida data scientist who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate COVID-19 numbers and emerged as a critic of Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis over his handling of the pandemic won her U.S. House primary race and will challenge Rep. Matt Gaetz, one of former President Donald Trump's staunchest supporters, for a seat in Congress.

Rebekah Jones won Tuesday's Democratic primary in northwestern Florida’s first congressional district, setting up a chance to unseat the incumbent Gaetz, who has represented the district since 2017.

From 538, FL-01 is R+38, meaning that it will be a steep uphill struggle against that district's yellow-dog Republicans.

Dave Wasserman on Twitter: "Lots of focus on Dems being more engaged/energetic post-Dobbs, which is undeniably true. But to me, the GOP/Trump base appears less engaged than it was last November, which is just as big a part of the story." / Twitter
No details, however.

Ben Collins on Twitter: "A lot of users in pro-Trump forums have fundamentally given up on voting. ..." / Twitter
A lot of users in pro-Trump forums have fundamentally given up on voting.

Shockingly, constantly saying every election bigger than a headcount is rigged has had a deleterious effect on voter turnout in national races.

The focus of Trump's base now is at the hyper-local level.

They feel like they can sway a five-person school board, then ban books or curricula once they have power.

That's the kind of power they're currently interested in—and you can get it through harassment and intimidation.

Plenty of reasons for the hyperlocal focus of Trump's online base.

Some are silly: The school board meetings still have cameras. You can clip up your anti-CRT rant and post it to FB.

But it's mostly disbelief that any vote they disagree with—or don't personally see—is real.

For example, the top post in the last hour on The Donald.
(The1776Patriot)
I'm telling you, we would win EVERY ELECTION in the country if the democrats didn't cheat.

We also have to get rid of the main stream media.
That falloff let the Democrats win two Senators in Georgia in 2020, and it may be happening here also.

Karen Defilippi on Twitter: "Couple things on Dem's victory in #NY19 tonight:
1. There are 222 House seats better than NY19 by Biden performance
2. Republicans spent heavily to lose
3. This is the 4th House special election in a row where Dems have outperformed Biden
Congrats @PatRyanUC" / Twitter

Republicans ought to be running scared.

Last edited:
He then examines some raw broccoli, asparagus and carrots, and explains, “My wife wants some vegetables for crudités.” Fetterman, a cargo-shorts and hoodie-wearing Joe Average in everything but height, responded: “In PA, we call this a veggie tray” and issued a bumper sticker with the slogan “Let Them Eat Crudité.”

That's pretty stupid BS issue. "Crudités" is a perfectly normal word and makes Fetterman look like an illiterate motherfucker.

Öz also got him back:
Oz campaign on John Fetterman: If he had 'ever eaten a vegetable in his life,' he wouldn't have 'had a stroke'

He may be a horrible candidate and peddler of insane Oprahesque pseudoscience, but that was funny.

Mehmet Öz could have changed his last name into Oez or Euz. My father's last name is originally Petrić (c with a forward accent), but he changed it to Petrich for the convenience of English speakers.

He then examines some raw broccoli, asparagus and carrots, and explains, “My wife wants some vegetables for crudités.” Fetterman, a cargo-shorts and hoodie-wearing Joe Average in everything but height, responded: “In PA, we call this a veggie tray” and issued a bumper sticker with the slogan “Let Them Eat Crudité.”
That's pretty stupid BS issue. "Crudités" is a perfectly normal word and makes Fetterman look like an illiterate motherfucker.
"Perfectly normal word"? This incident is the first time I've ever seen that word.

Oregon gubernatorial election, 2022 - Ballotpedia
  • Democratic - Tina Kotek
  • Republican - Christine Drazan
  • Libertarian - R. Leon Noble
  • Independent - Betsy Johnson
The Gubernatorial Races: Look to the West – Sabato's Crystal Ball - rates the race a tossup, because Betsy Johnson may act as a spoiler, letting the Republican win instead of the Democrat.

Oregon’s Next Governor Could Be a Machine-Gun Toting Darling of GOP Megadonors – Rolling Stone
Betsy Johnson, an independent candidate for governor of Oregon, wears wildly oversized glasses and campaigns at homey events billed as “Beers With Betsy.” A former state senator who abandoned the Democratic Party, Johnson markets herself as the “goldilocks” alternative to the “extremes” of partisan politics, insisting she’s beholden to “only to Oregonians” and not to ”special interests.”

It’s an attractive pitch. But in Johnson’s case, it bears little relation to reality.

Johnson is not a middle-of-the-road politician. She owns a MAC-10 submachine gun — and received an A-rating from the NRA. On the campaign trail, she comes across like a pro-choice Ron DeSantis, vowing to give a voice to “really pissed off” Oregonians who are “terrified of the progressive left,” while blasting “wokeness” as “another form of intolerance.”

And for all her claims of independence, Johnson is only relevant because she’s received millions from some of the state’s most powerful corporate leaders, including $1.75 million from Nike founder Phil Knight. (What explains the donor-class devotion? Perhaps it’s because Johnson vowed in a recent debate to keep the state’s CEOs on “speed dial.”)
Then discussing her in detail.
It starts with the fact that Johnson is immoderately wealthy. She calls herself “the people’s candidate,” but she is not of the people, economically; she is a multimillionaire heiress of a timber fortune, as well as a legacy politician, with her father also having served in the state legislature.
She inherited $11 million, but she keeps her tax returns secret, as Donald Trump does.

“You can see the deterioration of the beautiful City of Roses, now the city of roaches.”
from Unexpected Losses - The New York Times - June 22

But “I never called homeless people roaches,” she tells Rolling Stone. “That is total crap!”

She is also an extreme gun nut.
As a state senator, Johnson received both an A rating and an endorsement from the National Rifle Association. In Salem, Johnson was a surefire vote against gun control, opposing bills to ban weapons from school grounds and public buildings, to take guns from convicted stalkers, to authorize courts to remove guns from suicidal individuals, and to require background checks for all gun sales.

Now that she’s running for statewide office, Johnson has suddenly adopted new views on guns. “My thinking has evolved,” she says, claiming she now supports background checks. “If we’re going to make progress on guns,” she says, “we need responsible gun owners at the table — not being told that it’s evil to have a gun.”
Then climate issues.
As a Democrat in the state legislature, Johnson worked to undermine her party’s efforts to ban fracking in Oregon and reduce climate emissions, while accepting donations from Koch Industries. In 2019, the state’s Democrats nevertheless gathered the votes needed to pass a historic cap-and-trade bill. But Republican lawmakers made national headlines by fleeing the state to deny the legislature the quorum needed to pass the bill.
She is willing to associate herself with these opponents of climate activism, "Timber Unity".
In the recent debate, Johnson declared that “climate change is real” but accused progressives of seeking to punish “hard-working Oregonians.” Johnson insisted the state should increase logging to diminish wildfire risk. “The biggest thing we can do to mitigate climate change is not let the place burn down every year,” she said.
But,
One of the leaders of Timber Unity, Angelita Sanchez, reportedly went on to participate in the events of Jan. 6 at the U.S. Capitol. She recently posted on Facebook that she’s kept in touch with Johnson and that they spoke this summer when Johnson was seeking Timber Unity’s endorsement.

Johnson did not give a straight answer when asked about her connection to the Timber Unity leader, insisting that she was “not a friend of mine” and accusing Rolling Stone of trying “to put views and words in my mouth.”
Another such fan was Rep. Mike Nearman, who was expelled from the Oregon legislature after opening a door for armed militants back in 2020.

Perfectly normal word"? This incident is the first time I've ever seen that word
Hey!
It’s not Derec’s fault you’re a barely literate hick.
Join the club. If we’re real nice maybe Derec will share his Crudités recipe!

Anyhow, Fetterman needs Joe plumber and his friends.

Johnson insists that, because she is not a part of the two-party system, she is free from the influence of special interests — examples of which, she’s said, include unions that back Democrat Kotek and Oregon Right to Life, which backs the Republican, Drazan.

“We need a governor,” she said on the debate stage, “who’s loyal only to the people of Oregon.”

But Johnson’s campaign is only relevant because of the enormous war chest she’s built with the help of executives and CEOs from across the state.
People that she's vowed to keep on speed dial.
Pressed on the contradiction of denouncing special interests while being dependent on them for her political fate, Johnson deflected, insisting that her corporate donors are just great citizens. “If people who love Oregon are a ‘special interest’ then we’re more screwed up than it seems,” she says.

Johnson even characterized the huge contributions by Nike’s founder as an investment: “Phil Knight is investing in a candidacy that is trying to bring more balance into our Oregon political life, and I welcome his participation and his friendship.”
She brags about her independence from labor unions and anti-abortion activists, but she admires her paymasters.

Last edited:
Mehmet Öz could have changed his last name into Oez or Euz. My father's last name is originally Petrić (c with a forward accent), but he changed it to Petrich for the convenience of English speakers.

"Perfectly normal word"? This incident is the first time I've ever seen that word.
There's nothing wrong with the word, but it is very rarely used outside the nouveau riche circles in which grifters like Oz move. Certainly it's not a word one would use while attempting to appear working class, unless one were a clueless fucking wanker.

The wannabe aristocracy use a lot of cant that has evolved to make it difficult for ordinary people to infiltrate their class. The actual aristocracy generally speak more like the working class do, at least in terms of vocabulary; They don't need a cant to exclude outsiders, because they are sufficiently few in number as to simply know each other, or at least identify each other via networks of family connections.

In the UK, there's a distinct aristocratic accent that one might learn from the expensive and exclusive Public Schools (which are private schools; it's an historical thing), but the "posh" vocabulary, as exemplified by the fictional Hyacinth Buckét, is exclusively a middle class thing. Things like saying 'serviette' rather than 'napkin', 'soirée' rather than 'party', or 'crudités' rather than 'vegetables' are quite specifically linked only to people who imagine themselves better than the hoi polli, but who haven't the rank or status to support their fantasy of superiority.

It's notable that much of this cant derives directly from French, probably as a result of attempting (consciously or otherwise) to associate with the use of French at court. So this is a linguistic hangover from the Norman conquest, which divided England very sharply between powerful aristocrats who spoke French, and powerless serfs who spoke English. That divide existed in courts of law in England and Scotland until the Proceedings in Courts of Justice Act (1730), even though pleas were required to be entered in English as early as the 1362 Pleading in English Act, in an attempt to prevent lawyers from operating as a cartel (because it would be disastrous if lawyers were to be too expensive for commoners to access, right?).

These very English social divides are, of course, anathema to the egalitarianism of the United States, which means that Americans are supposed to pay lip service to their absence from their nation, despite their very obvious presence (particularly in New England).

American aristocracy may have become unofficial in 1776, but it certainly persists, and use of language is one of the more obvious ways to determine the position of an individual in that supposedly non-existent hierarchy.

Another way to position an individual on the ladder is the more explicitly aristocratic approach of studying his family history. Discussion of the origins of the surname 'Oz', and hinting at its failure to appear in the lists of Pilgrim Fathers, by mention of its foreignness and links to regions other than Western Europe, is a time honoured way to label someone as déclassé, without the vulgarity of explicitly discussing their social position.

This stuff is so ingrained in society that it's often done without conscious awareness that it's even happening.

Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 on Twitter: "After losing her primary to Daniel Webster, Laura Loomer tells her voters not to vote for the Republican nominee in Nov, and calls for him to resign. (pic link)" / Twitter
noting
DO NOT CONCEDE. And I encourage all of my supporters and and all of my voters to NOT support Daniel Webster and the corrupt ESTABLISHMENT RNC and Big Tech voter fraud machine that is propping his feeble body up and depriving my constituents of the representation they deserve and need. I am calling for Daniel Webster to RESIGN, because everyone knows he is beyond unfit to serve. He didn't campaign. He refused to debate me, and it's because his health is worse than Joe Biden's.
(OCRed by me)

Even if that means the Democratic candidate winning.

Laura Loomer is not allowed to run as an independent for the general election because of her state's sore-loser law: When states adopted sore loser laws - Ballotpedia

What Redistricting Looks Like In Every State - Florida | FiveThirtyEight - rates FL-11 as R+19, meaning that there are likely enough yellow-dog Republicans to elect Daniel Webster.

In reference to bilby's post, the Norman Conquest is very far off, and there is a much more recent motivation for using "crudités" instead of "veggie tray". Over the last century at least, France has had a reputation as a home of haute cuisine: fancy cooking. In fact, "haute cuisine", "gourmet", and "gourmand" are borrowings from French.

So using "crudités" instead of "veggie tray" shows which sorts of people Dr. Öz like to associate himself with: people with fancy taste in food, and food snobs.

ABORTION RIGHTS

In Arizona, Blake Masters backtracks on abortion and scrubs his campaign website​

Masters, the GOP Senate nominee in Arizona, said on his campaign website that he supported a "a federal personhood law" — until Thursday.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Blake Masters softened his tone and scrubbed his website's policy page of tough abortion restrictions Thursday as his party reels from the Supreme Court's decision overturning Roe v. Wade.
In an ad posted to Twitter on Thursday, Masters sought to portray his opponent, Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly, as the extremist on the issue while describing his own views as "commonsense."

"Look, I support a ban on very late-term and partial-birth abortion," he said. "And most Americans agree with that. That would just put us on par with other civilized nations." (Late-term abortions are extremely rare, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tracker.)
Just after it released the ad, Masters' campaign published an overhaul of his website and softened his rhetoric, rewriting or erasing five of his six positions. NBC News took screenshots of the website before and after it was changed. Masters' website appeared to have been refreshed after NBC News reached out for clarification about his abortion stances.
"I am 100% pro-life," Masters' website read as of Thursday morning.
That language is now gone.

Is there an echo in here?

Back
Top Bottom