• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pelosi: Impeachment Is Moving Forward

The huge Gordon Sondland revelation almost everyone missed

But there was one piece of Sondland's testimony that didn't get as much attention as it should have. Under questioning from Intelligence Committee chair Adam Schiff (D-California) about the specific nature of the quid pro quo between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Sondland said this: "He had to announce the investigations. He didn't actually have to do them, as I understood it."

Which, to be clear, means that in order for Zelensky to get the White House meeting he so coveted, he needed to simply announce that Ukraine was looking into Joe and Hunter Biden -- despite there being no evidence of wrongdoing by either of them -- as well as the whereabouts of the hacked Democratic National Committee server.

Not conduct the investigation. Not prosecute anyone. Just announce it.

Sondland expanded on that idea when asked to elaborate by Democratic counsel Dan Goldman. Here's that exchange:

GOLDMAN: Giuliani and President Trump didn't actually care if they did them, right?

SONDLAND: I never heard, Mr. Goldman, anyone say that the investigations had to start or be completed. The only thing I heard from Mr. Giuliani or otherwise was that they had to be announced. ... President Trump presumably, communicated through Mr. Giuliani, wanted the Ukrainians on-record publicly that they were going to do those investigations.

Now ask yourself this. If Trump's true interest in raising the Democratic National Committee server conspiracy theory and the Bidens on the July 25 call with Zelensky was to root out corruption in Ukraine, wouldn't you think it would be more important to press the Ukrainians on ensuring a free, fair and thorough investigation into any alleged wrongdoing?

All of this is quite clear with the public announcement being required. The announcement is the payoff.

Here's that exchange:

GOLDMAN: Giuliani and President Trump didn't actually care if they did them, right?

SONDLAND: I never heard, Mr. Goldman, anyone say that the investigations had to start or be completed. The only thing I heard from Mr. Giuliani or otherwise was that they had to be announced. ... President Trump presumably, communicated through Mr. Giuliani, wanted the Ukrainians on-record publicly that they were going to do those investigations.

Now ask yourself this. If Trump's true interest in raising the Democratic National Committee server conspiracy theory and the Bidens on the July 25 call with Zelensky was to root out corruption in Ukraine, wouldn't you think it would be more important to press the Ukrainians on ensuring a free, fair and thorough investigation into any alleged wrongdoing?

Not at all.

The objective of disinformation is to create doubt, to muddy the waters, to confuse the issues.

Holy crap. It was just introduced in the hearing that Lev Parnas, Ghouliani associate that tried to skip the country before being arrested and is now working with the US government, worked with Devin Nunes in 2018.

I suppose if the impeachment were voted in the senate by secret ballot, a few republicans just might vote for removing the president from office.

Is it possible? Or will McConnell be able to prevent that?

I suppose if the impeachment were voted in the senate by secret ballot, a few republicans just might vote for removing the president from office.

I don't know how much control over the proceeding McConnell will have. It's supposed to be presided over by the chief justice of the SC.

Trump's been vindicated. No evidence so far.

Leftists are insane. First, they claim, "We need to stop giving foreign aid to other countries! It's a waste of money! We need that money for America!" Then it's, "How dare Trump not give them aid!"

(Even though Trump didn't withhold the aid, leftists think he did and are mad about this.)

It's all just a pile of Schiff.

Leftists are insane. First, they claim, "We need to stop giving foreign aid to other countries! It's a waste of money! We need that money for America!" Then it's, "How dare Trump not give them aid!"

(Even though Trump didn't withhold the aid, leftists think he did and are mad about this.)

How's the flat earth proof coming along?

Holy crap. It was just introduced in the hearing that Lev Parnas, Ghouliani associate that tried to skip the country before being arrested and is now working with the US government, worked with Devin Nunes in 2018.

How very unsurprising. Lev has a long history of participation in corruption.
"Giuliani looks for corruption everywhere he goes" - Donald Trump

When the Senate trial happens I will be dumbstruck if the Dems don't lean very heavily indeed on the fact you noted atop this page; Trump didn't give a flying fuck about actual investigations of any sort, he just wanted to smear Uncle Joe using a foreign leader, and exerted every bit of leverage at his disposal to make said leader do what he (Trump) wanted.

I've heard that there are about 30 Republicans ready to convict the summbich if the ballot was secret. Don't know anything about the rules governing the situation, but I would think that if there's any way to hold a secret ballot, those same Republicans - if they exist - would insist upon it.

How very unsurprising. Lev has a long history of participation in corruption.
"Giuliani looks for corruption everywhere he goes" - Donald Trump

When the Senate trial happens I will be dumbstruck if the Dems don't lean very heavily indeed on the fact you noted atop this page; Trump didn't give a flying fuck about actual investigations of any sort, he just wanted to smear Uncle Joe using a foreign leader, and exerted every bit of leverage at his disposal to make said leader do what he (Trump) wanted.

Not just that, he didn't give a flying fuck about the implications for US National Security and by his actions may have made National Security less secure. A total dereliction of duty.

That's the question for leftists who think Trump is sunk with no evidence of a quid pro quo.

I've heard that there are about 30 Republicans ready to convict the summbich if the ballot was secret. Don't know anything about the rules governing the situation, but I would think that if there's any way to hold a secret ballot, those same Republicans - if they exist - would insist upon it.

I read somewhere that if three GOP senators demanded a secret ballot, McConnell would have to go along.

... he didn't give a flying fuck about the implications for US National Security and by his actions may have made National Security less secure. A total dereliction of duty.

QFT

Republicans will argue that since the president sets foreign policy, the worst you can accuse him of is making decisions that democrats don't like. Obama made bad decisions. The worst decisions. Terrible decisions. Trump decisions are perfect decisions. Dems hate the decisions, proving that they are perfect decisions, and blah blah blah.

The likes of these types do not work with things like "proof" or "facts"... the words "I do not believe in facts" literally came out of the mouth of one of these types (unfortunately, my FiL). So they will pick and choose what they like to believe based on how the belief makes them feel. Having objective reasons to believe something does not compute with them. They are a sufficiently small number to ignore... like the flat earthers.

That's the question for leftists who think Trump is sunk with no evidence of a quid pro quo.

The guy who supported Trump so much he gave trump a million dollars said he witnessed and was ordered to follow through on the QPQ.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see." I remember reading that somewhere.

Wow, you really think that?

Leftists are insane. First, they claim, "We need to stop giving foreign aid to other countries! It's a waste of money! We need that money for America!"
Uh, leftists don’t say that.
That’s a GOP talking point.

Then it's, "How dare Trump not give them aid!"

He did withhold the aid - for months, critical months.
Only paid up when he got caught.

Oh how very mature you and the President are.

How's that flat earth proof coming along?

Wow, you really think that?

Uh, leftists don’t say that.
That’s a GOP talking point.

Then it's, "How dare Trump not give them aid!"

He did withhold the aid - for months, critical months.
Only paid up when he got caught.

Oh how very mature you and the President are.

You don't even realize that the GOP always supports giving foreign aid to other countries. Leftists hate it.

Back
Top Bottom