• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pelosi: Impeachment Is Moving Forward

Wow, you really think that?

Uh, leftists don’t say that.
That’s a GOP talking point.

He did withhold the aid - for months, critical months.
Only paid up when he got caught.

Oh how very mature you and the President are.

You don't even realize that the GOP always supports giving foreign aid to other countries. Leftists hate it.

You're absolutely correct. Iran-Contra is the perfect example of the GOP providing aid.

You don't even realize that the GOP always supports giving foreign aid to other countries. Leftists hate it.

You're absolutely correct. Iran-Contra is the perfect example of the GOP providing aid.

I can't believe you actually think leftists never ask, "Why do we waste money on giving aid to other countries instead of using it on Americans? We need it! The other countries can help themselves!"

Holy crap. It was just introduced in the hearing that Lev Parnas, Ghouliani associate that tried to skip the country before being arrested and is now working with the US government, worked with Devin Nunes in 2018.

How very unsurprising. Lev has a long history of participation in corruption.
"Giuliani looks for corruption everywhere he goes" - Donald Trump

When the Senate trial happens I will be dumbstruck if the Dems don't lean very heavily indeed on the fact you noted atop this page; Trump didn't give a flying fuck about actual investigations of any sort, he just wanted to smear Uncle Joe using a foreign leader, and exerted every bit of leverage at his disposal to make said leader do what he (Trump) wanted.

Not just that, he didn't give a flying fuck about the implications for US National Security and by his actions may have made National Security less secure. A total dereliction of duty.

The republicans seem to be more interested in what Trumpo said and not what he did. Clearly he wanted a quid pro quo based on his behavior. Whether he says he wants it or not is unimportant. It's like a bank robber offering in defense a phone recording wherein he stated he did not rob any banks or want to rob any banks.

And Gulliani and Pompeo need to be made to testify.

*glade*

Not just that, he didn't give a flying fuck about the implications for US National Security and by his actions may have made National Security less secure. A total dereliction of duty.

The republicans seem to be more interested in what Trumpo said and not what he did. Clearly he wanted a quid pro quo based on his behavior. Whether he says he wants it or not is unimportant. It's like a bank robber offering in defense a phone recording wherein he stated he did not rob any banks or want to rob any banks.

And Gulliani and Pompeo need to be made to testify.

Perhaps more like the bank robber who says not a word but gestures with his gun at the money drawer and hands over a bag. Clearly because he never said "This is a robbery" it's not an attempted bank robbery, by these Republicans standards.

I suppose if the impeachment were voted in the senate by secret ballot, a few republicans just might vote for removing the president from office.

Is it possible? Or will McConnell be able to prevent that?

I've heard that there are about 30 Republicans ready to convict the summbich if the ballot was secret. Don't know anything about the rules governing the situation, but I would think that if there's any way to hold a secret ballot, those same Republicans - if they exist - would insist upon it.
To vote for secret ballot only simple majority is needed, so all democrats need is few republicans :)

The huge Gordon Sondland revelation almost everyone missed

But there was one piece of Sondland's testimony that didn't get as much attention as it should have. Under questioning from Intelligence Committee chair Adam Schiff (D-California) about the specific nature of the quid pro quo between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Sondland said this: "He had to announce the investigations. He didn't actually have to do them, as I understood it."

Which, to be clear, means that in order for Zelensky to get the White House meeting he so coveted, he needed to simply announce that Ukraine was looking into Joe and Hunter Biden -- despite there being no evidence of wrongdoing by either of them -- as well as the whereabouts of the hacked Democratic National Committee server.

Not conduct the investigation. Not prosecute anyone. Just announce it.

Sondland expanded on that idea when asked to elaborate by Democratic counsel Dan Goldman. Here's that exchange:

GOLDMAN: Giuliani and President Trump didn't actually care if they did them, right?

SONDLAND: I never heard, Mr. Goldman, anyone say that the investigations had to start or be completed. The only thing I heard from Mr. Giuliani or otherwise was that they had to be announced. ... President Trump presumably, communicated through Mr. Giuliani, wanted the Ukrainians on-record publicly that they were going to do those investigations.

Now ask yourself this. If Trump's true interest in raising the Democratic National Committee server conspiracy theory and the Bidens on the July 25 call with Zelensky was to root out corruption in Ukraine, wouldn't you think it would be more important to press the Ukrainians on ensuring a free, fair and thorough investigation into any alleged wrongdoing?
Almost everyone missed? nobody missed it, It was hard to miss how Sonland repeatedly corrected Shiff that Ukrainians dd not have to actually do the investigations.

Holy crap. It was just introduced in the hearing that Lev Parnas, Ghouliani associate that tried to skip the country before being arrested and is now working with the US government, worked with Devin Nunes in 2018.
Shut up! Parnas is an outstanding american patriot, he has to be because he escaped Soviet Union

Shut up! Parnas is an outstanding american patriot, he has to be because he escaped Soviet Union

Jealous?

Elise Stefanik shows the Trump effect on the Republican Party - Axios - "The Trumpification of Elise Stefanik"
New York Rep. Elise Stefanik has opposed President Trump on Vladimir Putin, women, tariffs, the travel ban and the border wall — and then impeachment made her a star Trump defender and unlikely fundraising juggernaut.

Why it matters: Stefanik has become the youngest, most moderate example of voter-driven Trumpification of the GOP.
Republican politicians who cozy up to Trump become popular with the party's base; those who don't become unpopular - and are often voted out or else retire.
Between the lines: Republican leaders believe Stefanik, the only GOP woman on the Intelligence Committee, provides a fresh, female voice for the party.

"It's pretty powerful for Republicans to have a split screen of a young woman going after Schiff — this older white man," said one GOP official working on impeachment.

Some Republicans are comparing Stefanik to star Democratic freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. "She’s an attractive, young, woman, that can contrast perfectly against Adam Schiff," a second Republican aide working on impeachment texted. "That’s what the Dems do with us. Say we’re a party of old white guys, while they trot out AOC as the young face of the party.”

Ocasio-Cortez told Axios this shows Republicans weaponizing identity: “The fact that they have to invoke me to define her tells you everything about that."
Both ES and her opponent Tedra Cobb have been using ES's impeachment performance to raise funds for themselves.

I keep hearing about this conspiracy theory "It was Ukraine, not Russia who meddled in 2016". How come, I had not heard about it until this Trump-Zelensky bribery scandal blew up. I admit I don't watch russian TV, but I do read news on internet - there was absolutely nothing of the sort.
I have a feeling that origin of this theory might be completely homegrown and has nothing to do with Putin&Co.

It is a fact that during 2016 campaign Poroshenko openly supported tried to meet Clinton, it's also a fact that high ranking members of his administration (I think it was Avakov) called Trump an idiot or something to that extent (He had to walk it back when Trump won). What is also a fact that there was a lot of speculations in Ukraine itself about role it played in Manafort affair, where it was claimed that it was a dirt prepared to help Clinton, and again, after unexpected Trump victory Ukrainians found itself in an awkward position

So, I don't dispute existence of the conspiracy theory Cuomo,Cooper, Hill can't stop talking about, but it's a bit disingenuous to put in Putin.

I keep hearing about this conspiracy theory "It was Ukraine, not Russia who meddled in 2016". How come, I had not heard about it until this Trump-Zelensky bribery scandal blew up. I admit I don't watch russian TV, but I do read news on internet - there was absolutely nothing of the sort.
I have a feeling that origin of this theory might be completely homegrown and has nothing to do with Putin&Co.

It is a fact that during 2016 campaign Poroshenko openly supported tried to meet Clinton, it's also a fact that high ranking members of his administration (I think it was Avakov) called Trump an idiot or something to that extent (He had to walk it back when Trump won). What is also a fact that there was a lot of speculations in Ukraine itself about role it played in Manafort affair, where it was claimed that it was a dirt prepared to help Clinton, and again, after unexpected Trump victory Ukrainians found itself in an awkward position

So, I don't dispute existence of the conspiracy theory Cuomo,Cooper, Hill can't stop talking about, but it's a bit disingenuous to put in Putin.

:rotfl:

Thank you, barbos. I needed that.

Are you disputing ability of trumpers to come up with such a retarded conspiracy theory on their own?

Are you disputing ability of trumpers to come up with such a retarded conspiracy theory on their own?

I don't discount the idea. Trump's ego is at stake here along with the legitimacy of his election. The fact that exonerating Putin might earn him some brownie points is just another plus for him. Pretty sure Vlad whispered something in his ear about at some point though - he is certainly NOT that smart.

I have to correct my statement. Avakov did not call Trump an idiot, he called him dangerous lowlife (опасный маргинал)
To be fair it was Avakov's response to then candidate Trump suggesting accepting Crimea as russian.
After Trump won, Avakov removed his post.

By the way, Avakov is still a minister in the government. Zelensky can't remove him.

Last edited:

I don't discount the idea. Trump's ego is at stake here along with the legitimacy of his election. The fact that exonerating Putin might earn him some brownie points is just another plus for him. Pretty sure Vlad whispered something in his ear about at some point though - he is certainly NOT that smart.

Talking heads at CNN insist that it's a fact that it was Putin. To me it's another "17 agencies" and "high confidence" fiasco. Putin became a convenient target for blaming everything on him.

Meanwhile, all this B/S is aiding Trump in securing a second term.

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/2019...chment-and-presidential-election-preferences/

Polls are studies. What you are seeing is someone's perceived results, not the poll itself. It's a long article and I admit scanning it quickly but I did not see the actual poll anywhere, the specific verbatim questions asked. Do you know what I mean?

Lots of studies are flawed because of how they are undertaken. Can you find the actual poll questions in that article?

Back
Top Bottom