• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pelosi: Impeachment Is Moving Forward

Pelosi is not sending the impeachment to the Senate. That presents an interesting case, rather unprecedented.

Once upon a time I was in court fighting a traffic ticket - a hopeless endeavor, I know. Well, this one day I got lucky, and the ticketing officer didn't show. So, with much disappointment, the judge dismissed for failure to prosecute.

I wonder if there is anything in that which might benefit Trump and McConnell.

She's not sending anything to the Senate knowing she can't win. Besides, the whole exercise of this witchunt is keep it going as long as possible. Right up to November 2020 if possible.

No. Mitch not allowing witnesses to testify at the trial is something even the most uninterested American can understand as wrong. She is hanging it on Mitch. She wants him to wear this.

Another republican propaganda point has been to claim that this is just all political. Politics is certainly involved, what isn't in D.C.? But there are still facts, and these facts are not political.

McConnell has said that witness are not ruled out at this point but he's only saying that to save face. He said he wants things to be "fair" meaning he wants the same process that happened with Clinton, have opening arguments and then decide if witnesses are needed. The dems know that's just a ploy and aren't biting because they want those senior officials to testify.

Personally I don't care if this drags on as long as Trump is in office. It's really just politics as usual so no one should be concerned with how long it takes.

Pelosi is not sending the impeachment to the Senate. That presents an interesting case, rather unprecedented.

Once upon a time I was in court fighting a traffic ticket - a hopeless endeavor, I know. Well, this one day I got lucky, and the ticketing officer didn't show. So, with much disappointment, the judge dismissed for failure to prosecute.

She's not sending anything to the Senate knowing she can't win. Besides, the whole exercise of this witchunt is keep it going as long as possible. Right up to November 2020 if possible.

No. Mitch not allowing witnesses to testify at the trial is something even the most uninterested American can understand as wrong. She is hanging it on Mitch. She wants him to wear this.

Agreed. Giving them plenty of rope, and they have no real choice but to play along (as their base really would punish them for betraying Trump).

During Barack Obama's tenure as President of the United States from 2009 to 2017, certain Republican members of Congress, as well as Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich,[1] stated that Obama had engaged in impeachable activity and that he might face attempts to remove him from office.[2] Rationales offered for possible impeachment included false claims[3] that Obama was born outside the United States, that he allegedly allowed people to use bathrooms based on their gender identity, an alleged White House cover-up after the 2012 Benghazi attack, and failure to enforce immigration laws. No list of articles of impeachment was ever drawn up and proposed to the Judiciary Committee.

Efforts to impeach Barack Obama

Much more in the wiki link.

During Barack Obama's tenure as President of the United States from 2009 to 2017, certain Republican members of Congress, as well as Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich,[1] stated that Obama had engaged in impeachable activity and that he might face attempts to remove him from office.[2] Rationales offered for possible impeachment included false claims[3] that Obama was born outside the United States, that he allegedly allowed people to use bathrooms based on their gender identity, an alleged White House cover-up after the 2012 Benghazi attack, and failure to enforce immigration laws. No list of articles of impeachment was ever drawn up and proposed to the Judiciary Committee.

I remember those days. It was the Dems unironically yelling "witch hunt!" back then.

Since one of the GOP's talking point is due process, it really does mean they have to wear it.

Trump promotes Putin’s take on a “far-fetched” impeachment process - Vox
In his annual marathon press conference Thursday in Moscow, Putin argued Trump was impeached for “far-fetched” reasons. “It’s simply a continuation of internal political struggle,” Putin said. Echoing a Republican talking point, the Russian president continued, “The party that lost the [2016] election, the Democratic Party, is trying to achieve results by other means.”

Democrats, Putin claimed — again, as Republicans did during impeachment proceedings Wednesday — have always wanted to impeach Trump and had been looking for a reason to do so all year.

“It turned out there was no collusion,” Putin said, referring to the conclusions of the Mueller report. “It could not form the basis for impeachment, and now there is this made-up pressure on Ukraine.”

The pressure on Ukraine is, of course, well documented, including in evidence released by the White House. Like Putin, however, Trump and his Republican allies have claimed the evidence does not show this.

The Associated Press on Twitter: "BREAKING: Russian President Vladimir Putin says U.S. President Donald Trump's impeachment is far-fetched and predicts the U.S. Senate will reject it. https://t.co/wqZ2Yee5Mk" / Twitter
then
Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "A total Witch Hunt! https://t.co/PEe35rewE9" / Twitter

Maxine Waters on Twitter: "Revelation by former WH officials proves what we've known all along: Trump is #PutinsPuppet. Trump repeated Putin's talking point that Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the ‘16 election. Mark my words. If the Senate doesn't remove him, Trump will invite Putin to the WH next yr." / Twitter

Trump's Putin-loving makes me sick. Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick.

Obama set the record for most children killed in drone strikes. No impeachment.

If killing innocent civilians during wartime was an impeachable offense, then George W. Bush would have been impeached a thousand times over.

Obama set the record for most children killed in drone strikes. No impeachment.

If killing innocent civilians during wartime was an impeachable offense, then George W. Bush would have been impeached a thousand times over.

Pelosi already admitted she could've impeached Bush but decided not to. More proof the Trump impeachment is a witch hunt.

I remember those days. It was the Dems unironically yelling "witch hunt!" whilst cooperating with every investigation fully to prove the accusations are complete bullshit, something the Trump Administration hasn't done because they are a pack of cowardly cunts back then.

Fixed it for you. Your welcome.

I remember those days. It was the Dems unironically yelling "witch hunt!" whilst cooperating with every investigation fully to prove the accusations are complete bullshit, something the Trump Administration hasn't done because they are a pack of cowardly cunts back then.

Fixed it for you. Your welcome.

I'll assume that's not to be taken as an Aussie term of affection. :smile:

Pelosi already admitted she could've impeached Bush but decided not to. More proof the Trump impeachment is a witch hunt.
Look more closely. Nancy Pelosi was reluctant to start impeachment proceedings against Trump. It took Trump's trying to pressure Ukraine into investigating Joe Biden and his son that made her do it.

Look more closely. Nancy Pelosi was reluctant to start impeachment proceedings against Trump. It took Trump's trying to pressure Ukraine into investigating Joe Biden and his son that made her do it.

I gotta admire Pelosi because she knows the Senate will not convict him, no matter what crime he commits. But that's not as important as calling a spade a spade. Again, good on her. Impeachment is talked about all the time and politics is full of liars and cheats, so the constitution is working exactly as planned.

McConnell is shifting a but on witnesses: As I said Pelosi really knows her stuff and is cerebral with Congressional processes and public opinion.

McConnell is shifting a but on witnesses: As I said Pelosi really knows her stuff and is cerebral with Congressional processes and public opinion.

There’s not much to lose at this point. Surely the quicker it goes, the more likely Trump is to be acquitted. So why not...

But meanwhile the lawsuits and the Judiciary Committee are still grinding on. Who knows what might turn up.

Based on that, it would seem McConnell is more likely to blink first.

Did Half- Life really make such a stupid statement?

Bush was not impeached therefore impeachment of Trump = witch hunt?

Did Half- Life really make such a stupid statement?

Bush was not impeached therefore impeachment of Trump = witch hunt?

Trump's committed no crimes. One would think Zelensky would be screaming to the Heavens, "HE FROZE MY AID!!!! GET THIS MAN OUT OF OFFICE!!! HE THREATENED US!!!" Instead he said, "There was absolutely no problem."

Do you guys think Trump is paying him off with more money in order for him to stay quiet? You guys have to have another conspiracy for your explanation as to why Zelensky isn't singing like a canary, right????

Trump's committed no crimes. One would think Zelensky would be screaming to the Heavens, "HE FROZE MY AID!!!! GET THIS MAN OUT OF OFFICE!!! HE THREATENED US!!!" Instead he said, "There was absolutely no problem."

Do you guys think Trump is paying him off with more money in order for him to stay quiet? You guys have to have another conspiracy for your explanation as to why Zelensky isn't singing like a canary, right????

The nature of extortion is the victim can't do that without terrible cost to himself and others.

Zelensky has to juggle both 1) showing his people he's a strong leader and 2) pleasing his ally who has become his extortionist (Trump) so he can get some help against an invading force. So he can't "sing like a canary".

Back
Top Bottom