• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

More on that Houston ex-cop.

Former HPD Capt. Mark Anthony Aguirre charged with holding repairman at gunpoint in fake voter-fraud conspiracy - ABC13 Houston

According to court documents, Aguirre told police that he was part of a group of private citizens called the "Liberty Center," who were conducting a civilian investigation into the alleged ballot scheme.

According to Aguirre, he had been conducting surveillance for four days on a man who was allegedly the mastermind of a giant voter fraud scheme. Aguirre told authorities the man was hiding 750,000 fraudulent ballots in a truck he was driving.

Instead, the victim turned out to be an innocent air conditioner repairman, court documents said.

Aguirre ran his SUV into the back of the truck to get the technician to stop and get out, according to court documents.

When the technician got out of the truck, Aguirre pointed a handgun at the technician, forced him to the ground and put his knee on the man's back until police came, the court document said.

Aguirre allegedly directed police to a parking lot nearby where another suspect, who has not been identified, took the truck.

According to court documents, there were no ballots in the truck. The truck was filled with air conditioning parts and tools.

And then for some comedy.

"I think it's a political prosecution. I really do," said Terry Yates, Aguirre's attorney. "He was working and investigating voter fraud, and there was an accident. A member of the car got out and rushed at him and that's where the confrontation took place. It's very different from what you're citing in the affidavit."

Aguirre allegedly never told police that he had been paid a total of $266,400 by the Houston-based Liberty Center for God and Country, with $211,400 of that amount being deposited into his account the day after the incident.

At least not current police on this one.

This happened about 2 years ago, but police have only just released the body cam footage.

Police raided this woman's apartment, when she was about to take a shower. They held guns on her and handcuffed her while she was still naked, and then started questioning her. The police were acting on a bad tip... looking for a guy who was already under house arrest nearby. Oh, and because they used a battering ram to open her door it couldn't be closed and locked anymore.

GRAPHIC: Video shows deputy run over fleeing Black man in Kansas field

The dashcam video captured a horrific scene: a Kansas sheriff’s deputy in a patrol truck mowing down a Black man who was running, shirtless, across a field in the summer darkness after fleeing a traffic stop.

Lionel Womack — a 35-year-old former police detective from Kansas City, Kansas — alleges in a excessive force lawsuit filed Thursday that he sustained serious injuries when Kiowa County Sheriff’s Deputy Jeremy Rodriguez intentionally drove over him during the Aug. 15 encounter.

Womack said in a statement that he hadn’t been speeding nor was he under the influence of anything when he was initially pulled over. His driver’s license, insurance and registration were up to date.

“When the first officer turned his lights on, I pulled over and complied ... exactly as you’re supposed to. But when three additional vehicles pulled up quickly and started to surround my car, I freaked out. That’s when I took off, it was a ‘fight or flight’ moment and I was going to live,” he said. “I felt like I was in danger. This was out in the country, late at night, and it was dark. So I ran for my life. That’s what you see in the dashcam video. I’m running in an open field, and I’m scared.”

GRAPHIC: Video shows deputy run over fleeing Black man in Kansas field

The dashcam video captured a horrific scene: a Kansas sheriff’s deputy in a patrol truck mowing down a Black man who was running, shirtless, across a field in the summer darkness after fleeing a traffic stop.

Lionel Womack — a 35-year-old former police detective from Kansas City, Kansas — alleges in a excessive force lawsuit filed Thursday that he sustained serious injuries when Kiowa County Sheriff’s Deputy Jeremy Rodriguez intentionally drove over him during the Aug. 15 encounter.

Womack said in a statement that he hadn’t been speeding nor was he under the influence of anything when he was initially pulled over. His driver’s license, insurance and registration were up to date.

“When the first officer turned his lights on, I pulled over and complied ... exactly as you’re supposed to. But when three additional vehicles pulled up quickly and started to surround my car, I freaked out. That’s when I took off, it was a ‘fight or flight’ moment and I was going to live,” he said. “I felt like I was in danger. This was out in the country, late at night, and it was dark. So I ran for my life. That’s what you see in the dashcam video. I’m running in an open field, and I’m scared.”

Running is asking for it but there's no justification for the level of force they used against him.

So do retail workers. But retail workers don't shoot unarmed people in the back.

I am sure it happens, albeit rarely. Police also very rarely shoot unarmed people in the back. Vast majority of people shot by police have been armed.
5211.jpeg

And of those who have not been armed, most have been attacking police. See Brown, Michael O.D., who was shot in the front, not back, btw.

‘The Best News I’ve Heard in All My Life’: Termaine Hicks Is Exonerated After 19 Years of Wrongful Incarceration
Police shot Mr. Hicks as he was helping a victim. After they covered it up, he was wrongly convicted of attacking her.

On Wednesday, Termaine Hicks received the “the best I’ve heard in all my life.” After 19 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit, Mr. Hicks was going home.

“The other guys on the [cell] block were shouting. They were happy for me, banging on doors,” he said.

Mr. Hicks was exonerated after the Philadelphia Conviction Integrity Unit (CIU), led by Patricia Cummings, joined the Innocence Project’s motion to vacate his conviction.

Mr. Hicks, an Innocence Project client, was wrongly convicted of a rape that took place in Philadelphia in 2001. Then a 26-year-old father of one, Mr. Hicks had been walking home when he heard a woman screaming. She was badly beaten, so he reached for his cell phone to call 911. At that moment, police, responding to the calls of several neighbors, arrived on the scene.

They shot him three times in the back. Only after did they realize their mistake — Mr. Hicks was not the right person. The man they had just shot did not match the description of the attacker provided by a witness, who saw the assailant dragging the victim into an alley. And he was unarmed.

After realizing they’d shot an unarmed man who did not match the description of the attacker, the officers conspired to cover it up. According to the National Registry of Exonerations, police misconduct, like this, has played a role in 35% of wrongful convictions resulting in exonerations since 1989.

“Mr. Hicks’ case is yet another example of the pervasive problem of police perjury in the criminal legal system,” said Vanessa Potkin, director of post-conviction litigation at the Innocence Project, who represented Mr. Hicks. “The cover up of shooting an innocent man required the false testimony of three officers and the acquiescence of a dozen more.”

The officers falsely testified at trial that Mr. Hicks had lunged at them while armed with a gun that he pulled from his pocket. However, the recent assessments by both the chief medical examiner for the City of Philadelphia and an independent medical examiner concluded that Mr. Hicks was shot from behind — meaning he wasn’t coming toward the officers when he was shot. And the gun the officers alleged to have found in his pocket was actually the off-duty weapon of another Philadelphia police officer.

Louisville police, county attorney's office hide 738,000 records in Explorer sex abuse case

Louisville Metro Police concealed at least 738,000 records documenting the sexual abuse of Explorer Scouts by two officers — then lied to keep the files from the public, records show.

The Courier Journal last year requested all records regarding sexual abuse of minors by two officers in the Explorer Scout program for youths interested in law enforcement careers.

Police officials and the Jefferson County Attorney’s Office said they couldn't comply, insisting all the records had been turned over to the FBI for its investigation.

But that wasn't true, according to records The Courier Journal recently obtained in the appeal of its open records case.

In fact, the department still had at least 738,000 records, which the city allowed to be deleted.

The records could shed light on when department and city officials first learned of allegations of sexual abuse of youths by officers in the program and what the officials did — or failed to do — about it.

Boston PO brags about hitting people with his car.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/sMYF-Y_r52Y[/YOUTUBE]

So New York conducted an investigation on how appropriate the NYPD response was to legal, legitimate protests throughout May and June of this year. Surprising no one, they discovered that police exacerbated an alreadt tense situation an simply went out of their way to make matters worse. Here is the full 115 page report. Some choice findings:

DOI’s investigation identified several deficiencies in the NYPD’s response to the Floyd protests that undermined public confidence in the NYPD’s discharge of its responsibility to protect the rights of citizens to engage in lawful protest.

Wow, what a revolutionary concept; the idea that law enforcement should protect and serve. Bullets points of the findings:

- The NYPD lacked a clearly defined strategy tailored to respond to the large-scale protests of police and policing

- The NYPD’s use of force and certain crowd control tactics to respond to the Floyd protests produced excessive enforcement that contributed to heightened tensions.

- Some policing decisions relied on intelligence without sufficient consideration of context or proportionality.

- The NYPD deployed officers who lacked sufficient, or sufficiently recent, training on policing protests.

- The NYPD lacked a centralized community affairs strategy for the Floyd protests.

- The NYPD lacked a sufficient data collection system to track relevant protest data.

The report reiterates several times what the responsibilities of the Police are stating, "When policing protests, NYPD’s responsibility is to facilitate individuals’ First Amendment rights to assemble and express themselves while protecting protesters and public safety." It's. Their. Fucking. Job. And they failed considerably. The worst part of this 115 page report is that the DOI admitted to exercising restraint in their findings because of the number of still ongoing investigations of Police misdonduct in a mere 30 day period in New York.

America, you have a serious cop problem.

This happened about 2 years ago, but police have only just released the body cam footage.

Police raided this woman's apartment, when she was about to take a shower. They held guns on her and handcuffed her while she was still naked, and then started questioning her. The police were acting on a bad tip... looking for a guy who was already under house arrest nearby. Oh, and because they used a battering ram to open her door it couldn't be closed and locked anymore.
The Mayor of Chicago has assigned the perps to desk jobs now, 22 months later, after the victim's attorney was finally able to get the body-cam footage released.

Twenty-two months! Were the Mayor and Chief of Police unable to view the body-cam video until the victim got it released? :confused:

It's saddening to read some of these stories, especially #471. Those cops should definitely be locked away in prison for many years.

~~~~~~~~~

HOWEVER: Although I support BLM and detest the racists and dumb chumps who insist "All Lives Matter", the fact is that police misconduct is not exclusively a problem for blacks. Would it not be better messaging to acknowledge that whites are also often the victims of police misconduct?

Guns in America are a big part of the problem: Cops assume everyone they see is holstering two guns and has a spare tucked in their boot! America has 1.2 guns per capita (most of them unregistered) and the denominator of "per capita" includes babies, millions who detest guns, and so on. America's gun culture is truly absurd, yet even many otherwise-rational citizens are die-hard gun fans.

While cops might be excused for assuming that everyone they encounter in this gun-crazed culture is packing heat, the fact is that many cops are themselves gun nuts, and cowardly gun nuts at that. Recently I saw a video with a cop at an accident scene shooting a small ground-hog crossing a road! A few years ago, a cop knocked on a door for some routine matter, found the home-owner's pet dog barking at him when the door was opened, and fired at the dog! This incident wouldn't have made the news ... except that not only was the cop cowardly but he was a bad aim: the bullet missed the dog, and severely injured a human toddler.

Officer in Columbus, Ohio fatally shoots Black man and only then turns on body camera, officials say

Columbus, Ohio — A police officer who shot and killed a Black man holding a cellphone in Ohio's capital city early Tuesday did not activate his body camera beforehand, and dash cameras on the officers' cruiser were also not activated, city officials said. Because of an automatic "look back" feature on the body camera, the shooting was captured on video but without audio, according to Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther and the city's department of public safety.

As a result, there's no way to hear what 47-year-old Andre Hill or the officer, who has been identified as Adam Coy, said during the interaction, Ginther said.

Body camera footage from immediately after the shooting indicated "a delay in rendering of first-aid to the man," the public safety department said in a news release.

Here's another one in Ohio.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/casey-goodson-jason-meade-columbus-police-shooting/2020/12/24/6e92401a-446e-11eb-975c-d17b8815a66d_story.html

Rare is the law enforcement officer accused of an unjustified shooting whose accusers can point to even a single public statement made by the officer advocating misconduct. But that's what supporters of Casey Goodson Jr. believe they have in a recorded sermon delivered by his killer, Jason Meade, the Franklin County sheriff's deputy and Baptist pastor in this no-stoplight town 30 miles west of Columbus.
A recording of Meade’s remarks, delivered at a 2018 convention of the Ohio State Association of Free Will Baptists, has brought religion to the forefront of a controversial police killing with opposing interpretations of the Gospel squaring off on Sunday mornings here in central Ohio. During those remarks, the SWAT officer described violence in the line of duty as a “righteous release.”
“I work for the sheriff’s office. … I hunt people — it’s a great job, I love it,” Meade told those in attendance. “I worked this job 14 years, you know I ain’t never been hit clean in the face one time? It’s a fact. It ain’t ’cause I’m so good. … You know why? I learned long ago I gotta throw the first punch. And I learned long ago why I’m justified in throwing the first punch. Don’t look up here like, ‘Oh, police brutality.’ People I hit you wish you could hit, trust me.”

Advocates for Goodson have seized on the recording, which local media first circulated earlier this month, as evidence of Meade’s unfitness, describing his views as morally reprehensible interpretations of the Bible and a likely indicator that he prejudged Goodson on Dec. 4 when Meade shot him to death.

Officers at the scene were not equipped with body cameras. Meade’s attorney has said previously that Goodson, who had a concealed carry permit, waved a gun at police. His family has rejected any narrative suggesting the 23-year-old posed a threat to Meade’s life.

Meade, a 17-year police veteran who served in the Iraq War with a Marine Reserve unit that suffered extensive casualties, killed Goodson while on assignment with U.S. marshals after they attempted unsuccessfully to execute an unrelated warrant. He remains on paid leave while federal, state and local investigations into the incident continue.

So, once again, this idiot law enforcement agent/Baptist minister shoots a man who was mistaken for someone else. The claim that the victim was "waving a gun" isn't supported by evidence since the police weren't wearing body cameras. This has got to stop. After reading what the shooter said, it's appalling that such ignorant, nasty people are working in law enforcement. This was a man who literally preached that his job was to hunt people down and "hit" them. I assume that meant shoot them or harm them is some way. WTF!

It appears as if this unfit cop might have been influenced by his military service in a very negative way. It's time to demilitarize the police. At least that would be a good place to start making changes.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I haven't kept up with all of the posts in this thread.

I wasn't sure about whether to post this here or one of the terrorism threads so...

Virginia Deputy Fired After Far-Right Calls For Violence On Social Media

One of the comments — posted on the deputy’s “WeThePeopleWarrior” profile on the right-wing social media platform Parler — called on followers to find the homes of politicians and “liberal” judges, and “remove them from their sanctuary.”

“Take back your State capitals,” the post urged. “Find the homes of every Governor, mayor, attorney general, liberal judge, senator, congressman and every major media/social media CEO...find them, remove them from their sanctuary. Bring the nightmare to where they lay their heads and kiss their loved ones. Show them that they are NOT untouchable.”

The deputy was identified in a local press report and by The Washington Post as Aaron Hoffman. He was exposed by Charlottesville, Virginia, freelance journalist Molly Conger, who revealed the posts in a Twitter thread.

Hoffman told the Post that the account was his, but insisted he didn’t post the comments. “I did not make those posts,” Hoffman said. “I’m trying to figure out who did.” He said the comments also “disturbed” him.

I wasn't sure about whether to post this here or one of the terrorism threads so...

Virginia Deputy Fired After Far-Right Calls For Violence On Social Media

One of the comments — posted on the deputy’s “WeThePeopleWarrior” profile on the right-wing social media platform Parler — called on followers to find the homes of politicians and “liberal” judges, and “remove them from their sanctuary.”

“Take back your State capitals,” the post urged. “Find the homes of every Governor, mayor, attorney general, liberal judge, senator, congressman and every major media/social media CEO...find them, remove them from their sanctuary. Bring the nightmare to where they lay their heads and kiss their loved ones. Show them that they are NOT untouchable.”

The deputy was identified in a local press report and by The Washington Post as Aaron Hoffman. He was exposed by Charlottesville, Virginia, freelance journalist Molly Conger, who revealed the posts in a Twitter thread.

Hoffman told the Post that the account was his, but insisted he didn’t post the comments. “I did not make those posts,” Hoffman said. “I’m trying to figure out who did.” He said the comments also “disturbed” him.
you-claimed-that-you-didnt-eat-the-cookies-from-the-cookie-jar-the-lie-detector-determined-that-was-.jpg

Back
Top Bottom