• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

“We couldn’t scale a wall to try to get in — we would have been shot down off of that wall.”

I'm not a supporter of BLM. I'm confident that their methods and goals will result in more violent deaths of young black men.

But I still can't help noticing the huge difference between the way police responded to BLM protesters and the mob of Trump supporters at the Capitol.

Don't tell me that the cops were too ignorant to notice all the signs of violence on January 6th. That's total b.s.

It was all over the freaking internet! Even I knew about it. I mostly knew about it from family talking about what Twitter and Facebook people were saying. I don't do those things.

But Dayum! How can anybody pretend that this was a surprise?
Tom

Denver Program That Sends Healthcare Workers to Mental Health Calls Has Been A Success
noting
Health care workers replaced Denver cops in handling hundreds of mental health and substance abuse cases — and officials say it saved lives - CBS News
Under the Support Team Assisted Response (STAR) program, health care workers are dispatched in lieu of police when responding to incidents involving issues with mental health, poverty, homelessness or substance abuse. STAR providers only respond to incidents in which there is no evidence of criminal activity, disturbance, weapons, threats, violence, injuries or "serious" medical needs.

During the first six months of the program, from June 1 to November 30, health professionals responded to 748 calls, including trespassing, welfare checks, narcotic incidents, and mental health episodes, according to the report. None of those cases required help from Denver police and no individuals were arrested.

Police chief Paul Pazen told CBS News that all of those calls were a success.

"That's 748 times fewer that the police department was called, meaning we can free up law enforcement to do what law enforcement is supposed to do, and really what law enforcement is good at, and that is addressing crime issues, violent crime, property crime and traffic safety," he said. "...You have a safer community and you have better outcomes for people in crisis."
He talked about someone whose feet were hurting. They bought him new shoes -- they didn't have to take him to a hospital.
People who have untreated mental illness are 16 times more likely to be killed during a police encounter, and those who have an untreated severe mental illness are involved in up to half of all fatal police shootings, according to research by the Treatment Advocacy Center.

In 2020, Mapping Police Violence found that 94 people were killed by police who had responded to reports of someone behaving erratically or having a mental health crisis.
There is something similar in Eugene, Oregon: Oregon mobile crisis team from White Bird Clinic answering mental health calls without the police - CBS News
Walker is a medic and Laurel Lisovskis is a mental health crisis manager. The pair are members of a mobile mental health crisis intervention team called CAHOOTS, which stands for Crisis Assistance Helping Out On The Streets. They answer calls like suicide interventions and overdoses. They're unarmed and most of the time, without police backup.

"We always move as a team," Lisovskis said.

Rolling Stone on Twitter: "Cori Bush is demanding answers from the DOJ about the “disparate treatment” of black protesters who demonstrated in defense of black lives this past summer, and the “white supremacist insurrectionists who stormed the Capitol Building” in January. (link)" / Twitter

You mean those #BLMers/Antifas who rioted for months, burned down or vandalized business and government buildings, assaulted and even killed people and occupied territory in places like Portland, Seattle and Atlanta for weeks?
And note that almost all Capitol rioters are being vigorously prosecuted while most charges against #BLM rioters have been dropped by friendly prosecutors like Mike Schmidt.

Cori Bush on Twitter: "Protesters in defense of Black lives have repeatedly been brutalized by police and criminalized by our legal system. We saw it protesting for George Floyd and Breonna Taylor this summer. We saw it protesting for Mike Brown Jr.

Mike Brown "protesters":
STLOUIS-video-superJumbo.jpg

Because people should be allowed to burn down buildings or loot stores? Cori Bush needs to shut the fuck up. Being black or left-wing does not give one license to riot, vandalize or loot.

We need answers, justice, and accountability." / Twitter
I like that. She's gotten started right out of the gate.
Justice would be to prosecute #BLM rioters, not drop their charges because the DA is a lefty.

People like this need to be prosecuted.

aptopix_minneapolis_police-death_47624.jpg

And yet the lefty mayors and DAs are largely turning a blind eye to left-wing violence.

But I still can't help noticing the huge difference between the way police responded to BLM protesters and the mob of Trump supporters at the Capitol.

Don't tell me that the cops were too ignorant to notice all the signs of violence on January 6th. That's total b.s.

Big difference: most of the Capitol rioters are being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Most #BLM rioters are not being prosecuted at all, because lefty DAs like Mike Schmidt are friendly to their cause.

Big difference: most of the Capitol rioters are being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Most #BLM rioters are not being prosecuted at all, because lefty DAs like Mike Schmidt are friendly to their cause.

Here's another big difference. The BLM people, whether they were peaceful protesters or criminal miscreants, knew that the government was against them. The rioters at the Capitol bldg had reason to believe that they were supported by the government. From Trump to the local police, they expected government support. So they posted their plans and criminal activities all over the internet. They posted videos of themselves committing crimes, making it comparably easy to prosecute them. Because Trump told them to do it!

That's the biggest difference here. The rioters at the Capitol were told by the president to violently overthrow The House of Representatives and lynch the VP. No amount of handwaving and technical issues will change that.
Tom

You know what else?

I would never wish a lynching on anybody.
But Pence's support of Trump and his TeaParty supporters for so long rather earned him a place underneath those gallows. I can't say I'd have felt bad for him, if he'd been dragged out there by the mob and rescued by security right before....
Tom

You know what else?

I would never wish a lynching on anybody.
But Pence's support of Trump and his TeaParty supporters for so long rather earned him a place underneath those gallows. I can't say I'd have felt bad for him, if he'd been dragged out there by the mob and rescued by security right before....
Tom

And you know what else?

People are getting hysterical. I don't mean funny hysterical. I mean full-on panicky, hair on fire, harpy-screaming hysterical.

How many would like to see public executions of Trump and the chief actors in the January 6th insurrection (which I agree it was and have said so in a prior post somewhere)?

No, Tom, I am not saying you want to see real public executions. Actually I don't believe anyone here really wants that.

But I am curious to see what kind of responses I'll get for this post...

I don't think you'll see a lot of, "Hang 'em high" advocates endorsing Trump's death. And yet the guy is a vile cunt and I think the best punishment towards him is to make him irrelevant and/or toxic to one's reputation. I'm not too optimistic on the chances of rehabilitating a septuagenarian who has never in their life had to face consequences to their actions, so the goal should be harm minimization. Making him irrelevant/politically radioactive would go a long way in achieving that.

I don't think you'll see a lot of, "Hang 'em high" advocates endorsing Trump's death. And yet the guy is a vile cunt and I think the best punishment towards him is to make him irrelevant and/or toxic to one's reputation. I'm not too optimistic on the chances of rehabilitating a septuagenarian who has never in their life had to face consequences to their actions, so the goal should be harm minimization. Making him irrelevant/politically radioactive would go a long way in achieving that.

I agree. Fuck him and make him irrelevant.

May I ask, do you think Trumpers need deprogramming?

I look at these insurrectionists as being a very large collection of morons, who by and large lack any kind of real organization. What they did was appalling, and as I said in a post hereabouts, I hope they are punished to the furthest extent of the law. I am also disappointed with Trump's acquittal. Surprised, in fact!

But, what is this talk of deprogramming, or reprogramming? Seriously? That doesn't strike anyone as sounding a bit like the description of a film, a description that also uses the word 'dystopian'?

I look at these insurrectionists as being a very large collection of morons, who by and large lack any kind of real organization. What they did was appalling, and as I said in a post hereabouts, I hope they are punished to the furthest extent of the law. I am also disappointed with Trump's acquittal. Surprised, in fact!

But, what is this talk of deprogramming, or reprogramming? Seriously? That doesn't strike anyone as sounding a bit like the description of a film, a description that also uses the word 'dystopian'?

A full explanation and thorough deep dive into the Trump pardons could go some distance into deprogramming some about who Trump is as a con man.

But the issues that Trump ran on and brought up as red meat are still valid issues.

It was something Katie Couric said in an interview with Bill Maher. I could give a flying penguin testicle fuck what either have to say as neither are publicly elected officials, but right wingers need something to be outraged about, I guess.

LAPD investigating after offensive George Floyd-themed Valentine reportedly circulated among officers

Police in Los Angeles said they were investigating after a report that an offensive Valentine's Day-like card was being circulated within the department with an image of George Floyd.

The Los Angeles Police Department said in a series of tweets late Saturday that it "has become aware of allegations that an image was being passed around the department and this image was in the workplace."

The department did not say what the image was, but the Los Angeles Times reported that it included a photo of George Floyd, the Black man who died as a white Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck last May, and the words "You take my breath away."

Aurora Police did not have basis to stop, frisk or restrain Elijah McClain, investigation finds

(CNN)The Aurora, Colorado, police officers involved in the fatal confrontation with Elijah McClain in August 2019 did not have a legal basis to stop him, frisk him or physically restrain him, according to an independent investigative report released Monday.

The report also questions the officers' statements about McClain's "superior strength," criticizes emergency medical responders' rash decision to inject him with the sedative drug ketamine and admonishes the police department for failing to seriously question the officers afterward.

"At the time of the (ketamine) injection, Mr. McClain had not moved or made any sounds for about one minute," the report states. "In addition, EMS administered a ketamine dosage based on a grossly inaccurate and inflated estimate of Mr. McClain's size."

On the whole, the 157-page report provides a critical view of Aurora's police and fire rescue teams for their roles in McClain's death. The 23-year-old Black man died three days after he was put in a carotid hold by police and injected with ketamine.

Another one...

Navy veteran in mental health crisis died after police knelt on his neck for nearly five minutes, his family says

Angelo Quinto lay facedown on the hardwood floor of his mother’s bedroom with blood pooling out of his mouth and his hands cuffed behind his back.

“What happened?” his mother, Cassandra Quinto-Collins, breathlessly asked two police officers huddled over his body in a video she shot of the Dec. 23 scene in their Antioch, Calif., home.

Quinto’s family had called 911 because the 30-year-old Navy veteran was suffering a mental health crisis. But Quinto-Collins said she watched in horror as a responding officer knelt on her son’s neck for nearly five minutes while another officer restrained him.

Then, he stopped breathing. “Can you take him, please?” she pleads in the video.

Days later, Quinto died in a nearby hospital.

Oh come on! That was funny!

A woke society is a humorless society. In the Soviet Union, the wrong joke could have sent you to the Gulag. In the US, you only lose your job for being insufficiently woke. Small mercies I guess.
It is not surprising there are are police who think a George Floyd themed valentine days card with "You Take My Breath away" should be passed around as a joke nor that there are people who defend it.

Oh come on! That was funny!

A woke society is a humorless society. In the Soviet Union, the wrong joke could have sent you to the Gulag. In the US, you only lose your job for being insufficiently woke. Small mercies I guess.

There is a difference between edgy humour and being a cunt when you are justifiably under public scrutiny. This would be the same as doctors and nurses making jokes about dead patients when news came out the hospital is criminally negligent. It's clear the cops involved and the medical staff in my hypothetical don't give a flying fuck about duty of care and in both instances deserve to be sacked.

I'm sorry if that offends your delicate feelings my flower.

If some black people joked about enslaving honkies, would you accept that as humor?

Back
Top Bottom