• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Female inmates at an Indiana jail were subjected to a “night of terror” when male detainees gained access to their cells, the women allege in a lawsuit.

The lawsuit was filed Friday, July 22, by eight women against Clark County Sheriff Jamey Noel and current and former Clark County Jail officers. It’s the second lawsuit filed this summer following the alleged incident, with 20 women filing suit in June, court records show.

The women claim that on Oct. 23, 2021, jail officer David Lowe gave two male detainees keys to the interior of the jail in exchange for $1,000.

That night, the two male detainees and other male inmates went into restricted areas of the jail that housed women, according to the lawsuit.

“Numerous male detainees used the keys obtained from Lowe to enter Pods 4(E) and 4(F), where they raped, assaulted, harassed, threatened and intimidated the plaintiffs in this lawsuit, and other women, for several hours, resulting in significant physical and emotional injuries,” the lawsuit filed in the United States District Court of the Southern District of Indiana says.
After the Oct. 23 incident, jail officials punished the women by leaving the lights on for 72 straight hours, denying them normal privileges and confiscating pillows, blankets and hygiene items, according to the lawsuit.

“The violation of the Plaintiffs’ constitutional rights was the result not only of a single bad actor, Lowe, but also due to a systemic failure on behalf of the Clark County Sheriff who failed to properly staff the jail, train the jail officers, and supervise the jail officers to make sure they maintained adequate security at the jail,” the July lawsuit states.

Current and Former Louisville, Kentucky Police Officers Charged with Federal Crimes Related to Death of Breonna Taylor​

“The Justice Department has charged four current and former Louisville Metro Police Department officers with federal crimes related to Breonna Taylor’s death,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. “Among other things, the federal charges announced today allege that members of LMPD’s Place-Based Investigations Unit falsified the affidavit used to obtain the search warrant of Ms. Taylor’s home, that this act violated federal civil rights laws, and that those violations resulted in Ms. Taylor’s death. Breonna Taylor should be alive today.

I don't know about that because the one guy tried was acquitted.

Current and Former Louisville, Kentucky Police Officers Charged with Federal Crimes Related to Death of Breonna Taylor​

“The Justice Department has charged four current and former Louisville Metro Police Department officers with federal crimes related to Breonna Taylor’s death,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. “Among other things, the federal charges announced today allege that members of LMPD’s Place-Based Investigations Unit falsified the affidavit used to obtain the search warrant of Ms. Taylor’s home, that this act violated federal civil rights laws, and that those violations resulted in Ms. Taylor’s death. Breonna Taylor should be alive today.
Yeah. The firefight itself was an inevitable consequence of the drug war insanity. (Not that the specific one was, but that such events would happen. Blame the legislature for creating the situation, not the unfortunate people who rolled snake eyes.) However, falsifying the evidence supporting a warrant raises it from tragedy to criminal in my book. I wouldn't mind felony murder charges.

Cops are really doubling down on the "everyone must respect us without question and it is a national security threat to ask us to self reflect and be grown ups instead of authoritarian mongrels" attitude.

Cops are really doubling down on the "everyone must respect us without question and it is a national security threat to ask us to self reflect and be grown ups instead of authoritarian mongrels" attitude.
I'm not sure how true this is, but it makes sense.

The police have been under attack for awhile now. It doesn't surprise me that the good ones are retiring, getting different jobs, not applying, etc. So, there's going to be a larger contingent of asshats.
It's the predictable result of human nature.
Tom

Do you really think expecting the police to obey the law is an attack on the police? :rolleyes:
No.
Tom

The reason I ask is this thread is about police misconduct. Attacks on the police are definitely a thing but that would be another topic.
I was referring specifically to a post claiming that police culture overall is changing for the worse. That doesn't surprise me.
It's the obvious result of the other changes in society.
Tom

I'm not sure how true this is, but it makes sense.

The police have been under attack for awhile now. It doesn't surprise me that the good ones are retiring, getting different jobs, not applying, etc. So, there's going to be a larger contingent of asshats.
It's the predictable result of human nature.
Tom
Maybe we should start hiring grown up adult humans to be cops. They have a lot of power. They absolutely have to be able to self reflect and self correct and face criticism. They are not "under attack." They're just being held accountable.

Maybe we should start hiring grown up adult humans to be cops. They have a lot of power. They absolutely have to be able to self reflect and self correct and face criticism. They are not "under attack." They're just being held accountable.
Folks have been doing that for years now.

How's it working out?
Tom

I don't believe cop culture is getting worse. I actually believe it's getting better. Too bad it had to be forced on them though.

Andy Taylor and Barney Fife was complete fiction.

I don't know about that because the one guy tried was acquitted.
Acquitted by the Feds?

It was state court, but going after them for false warrant might have a better chance. The state maybe should have tried that.

True Americans know that state prosecutors rarely go after police officers. And most of the time when they do, they file the wrong charges to make an acquittal easy.

And that prosecutor is a Trumper, he's now running for governor.

I don't believe cop culture is getting worse. I actually believe it's getting better. Too bad it had to be forced on them though.
I hope that's true. I've little to go on but media, I don't even know a cop personally.

But angry floof's opinion seemed more realistic. The reasons aren't complicated. Not only has their job become more difficult, due to the guns and drugs and mental health issues to begin with. Then there's the general culture of victimhood and entitlement and divisiveness that's been growing for years.

I dunno.
Tom

I hope that's true. I've little to go on but media, I don't even know a cop personally.

But angry floof's opinion seemed more realistic. The reasons aren't complicated. Not only has their job become more difficult, due to the guns and drugs and mental health issues to begin with. Then there's the general culture of victimhood and entitlement and divisiveness that's been growing for years.

I dunno.
Tom
Plus, some local prosecutors don’t bother to prosecute or the court let’s them off with no bail or a minimum sentence. Arrested today back on the street offending tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom