• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Deputies said Jenkins was shot after he pointed a gun at them; department officials have not answered multiple inquiries from the AP asking whether a weapon was found at the scene. Jenkins’ attorney, Malik Shabazz, said his client didn’t have a gun.

Malik Shabbaz, the notorious black supremacist? Makes me believe that the claim by this Jenkins guy is most likely bogus. Not that a claim being bogus makes much of a difference in today's racial climate, of course.

From Southern Poverty Law Center:
SPLC said:
Although he's sometimes identified in the mainstream media as a mere "legal adviser" or "community organizer," Malik Shabazz is a racist black nationalist with a long, well-documented history of violently anti-Semitic remarks and accusations about the inherent evil of white people. He is also particularly skilled at orchestrating provocative protests. Ousted from the Nation of Islam after he became an embarrassment even to that hard-line group, Shabazz went on to take up the leadership of the New Black Panther Party.
Ousted from Nation of Islam for being too extreme? Says a lot!

I realize this is a long shot to suggest but have you seriously entertained the possibility that your standard for police misconduct is out of step with reality?
Even in the very unlikely case that this was true, it does not explain the fact that it is only families of non-white perps who get millions of dollars in shooting deemed justified by the prosecutors. In many of these cases the perps were armed too.
I am talking about cases like Michael Brown, Korryn Gaines, Alton Sterling, Quanice Hayes and others.

Even if you believe my standards are off, and that these families deserve the millions they got, how do you explain the fact that it is families of black perps who are getting these payouts, never white ones. Or can you point to some examples?

• In 2017, the family of Kelly Thomas, a white man who was beaten and tased to death by police in Fullerton, California, was awarded $1 million in a settlement.
  • In 2018, the family of Zachary Hammond, a white teenager who was shot and killed by police in South Carolina, was awarded $2 million in a settlement.
  • In 2020, the family of Tony Timpa, a white man who died after being restrained by police in Dallas, Texas, was awarded $5 million in a settlement.
  • in 2022 The city of Mesa agreed to pay $8 million to Daniel Shaver's family to settle the lawsuit.

Feel free to take a break for the next several posts, Derec, and then continue as if this message was never here.

I realize this is a long shot to suggest but have you seriously entertained the possibility that your standard for police misconduct is out of step with reality?
Even in the very unlikely case that this was true, it does not explain the fact that it is only families of non-white perps who get millions of dollars in shooting deemed justified by the prosecutors. In many of these cases the perps were armed too.
I am talking about cases like Michael Brown, Korryn Gaines, Alton Sterling, Quanice Hayes and others.
Even if you believe my standards are off, and that these families deserve the millions they got, how do you explain the fact that it is it is families of black perps who are getting these payouts, never white ones. Or can you point to some examples
The explanation is your bigotry. It took me less than 2 minutes to find these 2 examples
Cop beats nonwhite man - this victim received $10 million.
White man paralyzed after cop beating - victim received $20 million.

In 2017, the family of Kelly Thomas, a white man who was beaten and tased to death by police in Fullerton, California, was awarded $1 million in a settlement.
Police were prosecuted in that case, so it does not fit the parameters.
In 2018, the family of Zachary Hammond, a white teenager who was shot and killed by police in South Carolina, was awarded $2 million in a settlement.
Reading about this, the guy was shot by accident. So it's kind of like the shooting of Bettie Jones. Does not fit parameters either.
[*]In 2020, the family of Tony Timpa, a white man who died after being restrained by police in Dallas, Texas, was awarded $5 million in a settlement.
Comes closest I guess, but this was not a violent felon like Alton sterling or a robber like Brown or Hayes or a violent sovereign citizen like Gaines.
in 2022 The city of Mesa agreed to pay $8 million to Daniel Shaver's family to settle the lawsuit.
Officers were charged in this case, so it does not fit the parameters.
Feel free to take a break for the next several posts, Derec, and then continue as if this message was never here.
Still nothing like Alton Sterling, an armed felon scuffling with police, getting $4.5M. Or Korryn Gaines getting >$30M even though she threatened police with a shotgun.

Not bad for a quick search. Even if we accept Timpa, that case is very different than violent perps like those I mentioned above.

The explanation is your bigotry.
Or more likely yours.
It took me less than 2 minutes to find these 2 examples
You should have taken more time.

Ahem?
Is this where we are supposed to comment about how Daily Fail is not a reliable source?

This is not at all like the cases of Sterling or Gaines. I would have no problem a black Greg Gross getting a payout. here
I object to families of violent thugs like Quanice Hayes or Alton Sterling or "sovereign citizens" like Korryn Gaines getting payouts when police did nothing wrong.

Neither you nor "Riley" found any cases at all similar to Alton Sterling or Korryn Gaines, among many others.

Do they have the right to self defense prior to being attacked by a “perp”?
What exactly do you mean by that? Rights exist before the situation arises where you actually make use of them.
I mean Pro-active self defense. “Strike first”. Do the police have the same right to defend themselves with potentially lethal results *before* they are under attack? Is there a moral responsibility to be sure there is a real threat to them before acting on that threat? Lest they kill innocent people who had no intention of causing them harm.

In 2017, the family of Kelly Thomas, a white man who was beaten and tased to death by police in Fullerton, California, was awarded $1 million in a settlement.
In 2018, the family of Zachary Hammond, a white teenager who was shot and killed by police in South Carolina, was awarded $2 million in a settlement.
Reading about this, the guy was shot by accident. So it's kind of like the shooting of Bettie Jones. Does not fit parameters either.
[*]In 2020, the family of Tony Timpa, a white man who died after being restrained by police in Dallas, Texas, was awarded $5 million in a settlement.
Comes closest I guess, but this was not a violent felon like Alton sterling or a robber like Brown or Hayes or a violent sovereign citizen like Gaines.
in 2022 The city of Mesa agreed to pay $8 million to Daniel Shaver's family to settle the lawsuit.
Still nothing like Alton Sterling, an armed felon scuffling with police, getting $4.5M. Or Korryn Gaines getting >$30M even though she threatened police with a shotgun.

Not bad for a quick search. Even if we accept Timpa, that case is very different than violent perps like those I mentioned above.

The law ensures equal treatment for everyone, regardless of their past, including felons. While you may disagree with this principle, it remains a fundamental tenet of our legal system. Thus, if a felon's rights are violated, they (or surviving family) are entitled to seek redress. I know that's a very difficult thing for you to grasp.

I've been saying all along that it's not the shootings, it's the lesser violence that's the real issue.

I have this gut feeling I'm going to regret asking but... What exactly do you mean by 'lesser violence' within the context of this case?
Roughing them up and the like. What this would have been if the moron hadn't pulled the trigger.

Or more likely yours.

Ahem?
Is this where we are supposed to comment about how Daily Fail is not a reliable source?

This is not at all like the cases of Sterling or Gaines. I would have no problem a black Greg Gross getting a payout. here
I object to families of violent thugs like Quanice Hayes or Alton Sterling or "sovereign citizens" like Korryn Gaines getting payouts when police did nothing wrong.

Neither you nor "Riley" found any cases at all similar to Alton Sterling or Korryn Gaines, among many others.
Or more likely yours.

Ahem?

You are only fooling yourself with these hand-waved dismissals dripping with bigotry.

Thanks Loren. Lets just say I'm relieved. :biggrina:
Are you? I'm not. It's not at all clear what 'lesser violence' Loren is referring to. The imagined violence a care taker was doing to a white person he was caring for? Or the hours long torture by 4 police officers of a caretaker and his friend who had the audacity to be in the home of a white person?

How is the torture of people 'lesser violence?' Because they survived? What about the man who was shot in the mouth? Is that 'lesser violence?'

It's not clear to me what Loren sees as the real issue: Black people or black people surviving police brutality.
I've been saying all along that it's not the shootings, it's the lesser violence that's the real issue.

Deputies accused of shoving guns in mouths of 2 Black men

BRANDON, Miss. (AP) — Several deputies from a Mississippi sheriff’s department being investigated by the Justice Department for possible civil rights violations have been involved in at least four violent encounters with Black men since 2019 that left two dead and another with lasting injuries, an Associated Press investigation found.

Two of the men allege that Rankin County sheriff’s deputies shoved guns into their mouths during separate encounters. In one case, the deputy pulled the trigger, leaving the man with wounds that required parts of his tongue to be sewn back together. In one of the two fatal confrontations, the man’s mother said a deputy kneeled on her son’s neck while he told them he couldn’t breathe.

Police and court records obtained by the AP show that several deputies who were accepted to the sheriff’s office’s Special Response Team — a tactical unit whose members receive advanced training — were involved in each of the four encounters. In three of them, the heavily redacted documents don’t indicate if they were serving in their normal capacity as deputies or as members of the unit.
In Mississippi, the police shooting of Michael Corey Jenkins led the Justice Department to open a civil rights investigation into the Rankin County Sheriff’s Department. Jenkins said six white deputies burst into a home where he was visiting a friend, and one put a gun in his mouth and fired. Jenkins’ hospital records, parts of which he shared with AP, show he had a lacerated tongue and broken jaw.

Deputies said Jenkins was shot after he pointed a gun at them; department officials have not answered multiple inquiries from the AP asking whether a weapon was found at the scene. Jenkins’ attorney, Malik Shabazz, said his client didn’t have a gun.

“They had complete control of him the entire time. Six officers had full and complete control of Michael the entire time,” Shabazz said. “So that’s just a fabrication.”
In a notice of an upcoming lawsuit, attorneys for Jenkins and his friend Eddie Terrell Parker said on the night of Jan. 24 the deputies suddenly came into the home and proceeded to handcuff and beat them. They said the deputies stunned them with Tasers repeatedly over roughly 90 minutes and, at one point, forced them to lie on their backs as the deputies poured milk over their faces. The men restated the allegations in separate interviews with the AP.

When a Taser is used, it’s automatically logged into the device’s memory. The AP obtained the automated Taser records from the evening of Jan. 24. They show that deputies first fired one of the stun guns at 10:04 p.m. and fired one at least three more times over the next 65 minutes. However, those unredacted records might not paint a complete picture, as redacted records show that Tasers were turned on, turned off or used dozens more times during that period.
I read a somewhat different account of this and thought I would be sick.

I don't think this is the original account that I read but this one does include more details: https://apnews.com/article/rankin-m...ts-brutality-2c2154e67cc6cd3b9a28cb16686f2a5c

I do not understand why they were not also charged with multiple counts of assault.

Are you willing to entertain the possibility that black people are more likely to be shot and killed or simply shot or tazed and left severely injured compared with white people?

Thanks Loren. Lets just say I'm relieved. :biggrina:
Are you? I'm not. It's not at all clear what 'lesser violence' Loren is referring to. The imagined violence a care taker was doing to a white person he was caring for? Or the hours long torture by 4 police officers of a caretaker and his friend who had the audacity to be in the home of a white person?

How is the torture of people 'lesser violence?' Because they survived? What about the man who was shot in the mouth? Is that 'lesser violence?'

It's not clear to me what Loren sees as the real issue: Black people or black people surviving police brutality.

Upon hearing Loren's use of "lesser violence", I initially interpreted it to mean the situation was less violent than usual. Considering Loren clarifying that the statement amounts to saying there are more instances of physical altercations than shootings (which is likely true), it's reassuring to know the comment wasn't as severe as I first believed. It's still concerning, but not to the extreme I had imagined. So yeah, I'm relieved cause I was fixing to go all in.

What exactly do you mean by that? Rights exist before the situation arises where you actually make use of them.

Why so bashful? The fact is, a physical attack doesn't have to occur for someone to legally defend themselves (or others). Self-defense is a nuanced matter. Well at least to the rest of us.

Why so bashful? The fact is, a physical attack doesn't have to occur for someone to legally defend themselves (or others). Self-defense is a nuanced matter. Well at least to the rest of us.

So, it's ok for police to kill people prior to being attacked as long as they believe that they might need to defend themselves from that person?

Upon hearing Loren's use of "lesser violence", I initially interpreted it to mean the situation was less violent than usual. Considering Loren clarifying that the statement amounts to saying there are more instances of physical altercations than shootings (which is likely true), it's reassuring to know the comment wasn't as severe as I first believed. It's still concerning, but not to the extreme I had imagined. So yeah, I'm relieved cause I was fixing to go all in.
No--what I'm saying is that the physical altercations that don't result in shootings are far more likely to be wrongful than the shootings are.

We only heard about this one because the cop pulled the trigger. I'm saying it's the cases like this without the trigger pulling that are the real misconduct issue.

No--what I'm saying is that the physical altercations that don't result in shootings are far more likely to be wrongful than the shootings are.

We only heard about this one because the cop pulled the trigger. I'm saying it's the cases like this without the trigger pulling that are the real misconduct issue.
I don’t agree that we only heard about this because a police officer shot someone. In the mouth. In a racist, unprovoked attack. As the entire attack was: racist, violent and unprovoked. Assuming there were any survivors, including the ability person in whose home the attack occurred, we’d have heard about this grotesque display of racist white supremacy. If everyone had died, the officers could have invented whatever story they liked, so I suppose we should all be grateful that there were survivors.

I don’t understand how this was not ‘a real issue,’ to use your own words. Maybe I’m misunderstanding you and what you are saying is that there are far more police misconduct/violence issues than are reported. But then why not openly condemn this horrific, unjustified attack straight up AND offer that you believe that there are many other instances of unwarranted police violence that don’t involve actual shootings. Because I’d certainly agree with you there.

My position is and remains that almost never is there a justified police shooting. We need to change how we police.

Both are fucked up & real issues Loren.

From a couple of days ago...

This police officer apparently fired off some shots (sorta hard to hear though) at the guy and wounded him. Why couldn't she have just taken her hammer beating like a good cop and crossed her fingers that he would eventually leave her alone? *

* Sarcasm in case its not obvious. Seriously, what should she have done differently?

Back
Top Bottom